OOOUUUCH! #7768627 03/11/20 06:27 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Houston Rodeo Cancelled! Poor kids!

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: OOOUUUCH! [Re: hook_n_line] #7768633 03/11/20 06:32 PM
O
oldrancher Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
Grand kids and families are down there now. They don't know if they are even going to be able to get their animals out of the barn.

Re: OOOUUUCH! [Re: hook_n_line] #7768636 03/11/20 06:37 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Yep. All that hard work and time they put into these animals. This has got to hurt. We pray your family can get their animals back and get out home safely.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: OOOUUUCH! [Re: hook_n_line] #7768644 03/11/20 06:43 PM
G
gtrich94 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
OK, so to stir Would it still have been canceled if Ed Emmett was in charge?

Thanks,
Rich
Re: OOOUUUCH! [Re: hook_n_line] #7768649 03/11/20 06:46 PM
O
oldrancher Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
The family with sheep are down there now but the other family ready to go with their show steers is really heart broken because they have steers that are designated for certain shows. Now they are worried that Austin will be next. A whole year of effort down the drain. They would miss days of hunting to go back and take care of their animals. Steers are really labor intensive. Washing, blow drying, clipping and is a year long daily project.

Re: OOOUUUCH! [Re: hook_n_line] #7768650 03/11/20 06:46 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Saw that on the local news. They are also canceling some sports events.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: OOOUUUCH! [Re: gtrich94] #7768718 03/11/20 07:22 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by gtrich94

My thoughts exactly.

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: OOOUUUCH! [Re: hook_n_line] #7768782 03/11/20 08:03 PM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Once again we have shown why we are where we are in this country. Yeah it sucks, but life is tough. Deal with it and move on. Whining does not help anyone. Crap happens. No one gets through life unbloodied. Pampered beef is some good eating. Find a silver lining and move on. Hard work is Not down the drain just because it doesn’t work out like you hoped. Hard work prepares you for when life slaps ya in the face. Work conquers all. Maybe everyone will get a participation award.

Proverbs 2
Re: OOOUUUCH! [Re: Sniper.270] #7768788 03/11/20 08:09 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Sniper.270
Once again we have shown why we are where we are in this country. Yeah it sucks, but life is tough. Deal with it and move on. Whining does not help anyone. Crap happens. No one gets through life unbloodied. Pampered beef is some good eating. Find a silver lining and move on. Hard work is Not down the drain just because it doesn’t work out like you hoped. Hard work prepares you for when life slaps ya in the face. Work conquers all. Maybe everyone will get a participation award.

But there are parents expecting the prize pig to put their little Susie through college. What are they to do now?? She was to be the first in eight generations to have the opportunity to go to college.

Who can they sue for this???

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Re: OOOUUUCH! [Re: hook_n_line] #7768793 03/11/20 08:11 PM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Elect Bernie. Eat pig. College is free.

Proverbs 2
Re: OOOUUUCH! [Re: Sniper.270] #7768956 03/11/20 10:39 PM
C
cm250 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C

Sniper, you must be a city boy. Kids grew up in Ag and ag mech. These shows are where they can show off the work they have done, and if they make sale, can normally pay, or put a major part towards putting themselves through trade school or college. Not just with livestock, but the ag mech show is where lots of great mechanical and welding skills have landed hard working kids jobs. But guess you don’t care about our future generation. Just my 2cents

My Yote toys,
Ruger 77 22-250
Foxpro 416B & numerous hand calls
God would never send Firefighters to Hell because we would put the fire out!
Re: OOOUUUCH! [Re: cm250] #7769225 03/12/20 02:38 AM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by cm250

Sniper, you must be a city boy. Kids grew up in Ag and ag mech. These shows are where they can show off the work they have done, and if they make sale, can normally pay, or put a major part towards putting themselves through trade school or college. Not just with livestock, but the ag mech show is where lots of great mechanical and welding skills have landed hard working kids jobs. But guess you don’t care about our future generation. Just my 2cents

Nope. Wrong from get the get go there cm. Know exactly what it is and benefits. Wonderful program. Point is, bad things happen. To everyone. All groups and ages. Greatest lessons in life come from hard times. Not as much from selling an animal at absolutely unrealistic economic price. I love every single one who gets all they can, more to them. But at least let’s be honest about taking the moral high ground in said situations. Everyone knows just how it works and the realistic lesson taught/learned.

Secondary note. To have to throw the “you don’t care about future generations “ statement. Well, you know the rest.

Proverbs 2
Re: OOOUUUCH! [Re: gtrich94] #7769242 03/12/20 02:48 AM
P
Pupjoint Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
Originally Posted by gtrich94

I think not, just sayin

Re: OOOUUUCH! [Re: cm250] #7769250 03/12/20 02:59 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

It is to help prepare them for adulthood, correct? Well, guess what, cupcake....

Re: OOOUUUCH! [Re: oldrancher] #7769258 03/12/20 03:07 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by oldrancher
Grand kids and families are down there now. They don't know if they are even going to be able to get their animals out of the barn.

I don’t think they are going to let the animals starve. Sounds excessive

Re: OOOUUUCH! [Re: Sneaky] #7769273 03/12/20 03:27 AM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Sneaky

It is to help prepare them for adulthood, correct? Well, guess what, cupcake....

Well cupcake. Preparing for adult hood is not participation award for all, and the poor me mentality. Something bad happened. You poor thing. Unrealistic economic reward for animals. Blah blah
Look hard times and disappointments are a valuable part of life. Just let them learn from the disappointment and move on. Quit trying to protect them from everything. Crap happens. Deal with it.

These are some of the best kids that come out of education today. They will be fine and move past these disappointments much faster than the parents. Disappointment is a part of life. Just let them live it and stop always trying to soften life.

Proverbs 2
Re: OOOUUUCH! [Re: Sniper.270] #7769277 03/12/20 03:30 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Sneaky

Well cupcake. Preparing for adult hood is not participation award for all, and the poor me mentality. Something bad happened. You poor thing. Unrealistic economic reward for animals. Blah blah
Look hard times and disappointments are a valuable part of life. Just let them learn from the disappointment and move on. Quit trying to protect them from everything. Crap happens. Deal with it.

These are some of the best kids that come out of education today. They will be fine and move past these disappointments much faster than the parents. Disappointment is a part of life. Just let them live it and stop always trying to soften life.

I’m aware, and I was agreeing with you. Go back and look at the quote a little closer.

Re: OOOUUUCH! [Re: cm250] #7769289 03/12/20 03:49 AM
L
Lakhota Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
L

The way I understood what Sniper.270 was saying is that this is a life lesson and life is hard and there are going to be disappointments but life will go on. Their hard work and the responsibilities that they learned will get them far in life. The ones in Ag mech won’t loose the skills that they learned because they don’t to show their farm equipment. From what I have hear they are going to try and find a way to award the scholarships. Things will be just fine.

Re: OOOUUUCH! [Re: hook_n_line] #7769290 03/12/20 03:52 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
popcorn

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: OOOUUUCH! [Re: Sniper.270] #7769301 03/12/20 04:20 AM
O
oldrancher Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
They continued the show long enough to have today's scheduled judging take place and the animals were taken care of..

"They will be fine and move past these disappointments much faster than the parents."

It is because of the type of parents these kids have that they will understand life's disappointments better and to be able to cope with anything thrown at them in life. It's not about the economic gain by any means even though there is always the hope as in all competitions. There is a hope in each participant that their project will be the one selected to make the sale. Those that are not selected will go to heartbreak alley. Many of the kids will never make the sale and will have to take the market price and look forward to the next year to improve. The kids who go to heart break alley did just as much work in most cases as the Grand Champion selected. When 10 are selected for the sale out of 80 in a class, there is a lot of disappointment to go around. These kids and parents know better then anyone about disappointments and they prepare these kids for real life as well as anyone. These kids and parents are hardly the cupcakes of today's society.

Re: OOOUUUCH! [Re: oldrancher] #7769302 03/12/20 04:25 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
They continued the show long enough to have today's scheduled judging take place and the animals were taken care of..

"They will be fine and move past these disappointments much faster than the parents."

It is because of the type of parents these kids have that they will understand life's disappointments better and to be able to cope with anything thrown at them in life. It's not about the economic gain by any means even though there is always the hope as in all competitions. There is a hope in each participant that their project will be the one selected to make the sale. Those that are not selected will go to heartbreak alley. Many of the kids will never make the sale and will have to take the market price and look forward to the next year to improve. The kids who go to heart break alley did just as much work in most cases as the Grand Champion selected. When 10 are selected for the sale out of 80 in a class, there is a lot of disappointment to go around. These kids and parents know better then anyone about disappointments and they prepare these kids for real life as well as anyone. These kids and parents are hardly the cupcakes of today's society.

up

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: OOOUUUCH! [Re: hook_n_line] #7769320 03/12/20 05:35 AM
O
oldrancher Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
A letter to her fellow competitors from a young person's Facebook page who will not get to show her steer at the Houston Live Stock Show.

"Now that I’ve had a few hours of working out and baseball to let off some steam, here are my final thoughts.. 1) don’t blame Houston livestock show and rodeo, they fought all they could to keep the show alive, but it was out of their hands. 2) to my fellow seniors.. I know this isn’t the way many of us wanted to go out, but don’t let this stop us from becoming great in an industry that will forever uphold our nation. We are all capable of many things and this bump in the road can’t throw us off from what we are meant to do! Lastly 3)... to my many friends that have years to come, DO NOT TAKE IT FOR GRANTED. Many nights I’d come home from football, basketball, track or baseball practice and not wanna be at the barn or do any of the chores required to raise my show cattle. Had I known this would happen I’d take it back in a heartbeat! Every chance you get to go out there and stick a calf, make it worth it. Show like its your last time in the ring and make it all count! The only thing certain about this industry is that at some point, it’ll end for everyone. But it’s up to us to continue to make it one of the best in the nation and to progress through tough times like this! I know this is heavy on the heart of everyone, but take it from me, a senior, that I’m thankful to have grown up in such a great industry that will never fold under no circumstances! Thank you to everyone who’s ever been involved in anything I do, win or lose. Stock show families are irreplaceable and I appreciate everything anyone has done for me!"

These are the kind of Cup Cakes I want for the next generation.

Last edited by oldrancher; 03/12/20 06:17 AM.
Re: OOOUUUCH! [Re: Sneaky] #7769506 03/12/20 01:53 PM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
[/quote]

I’m aware, and I was agreeing with you. Go back and look at the quote a little closer. [/quote]

Please forgive the misinterpretation on my part. My mistake.

Proverbs 2
Re: OOOUUUCH! [Re: oldrancher] #7769518 03/12/20 02:02 PM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
A letter to her fellow competitors from a young person's Facebook page who will not get to show her steer at the Houston Live Stock Show.

"Now that I’ve had a few hours of working out and baseball to let off some steam, here are my final thoughts.. 1) don’t blame Houston livestock show and rodeo, they fought all they could to keep the show alive, but it was out of their hands. 2) to my fellow seniors.. I know this isn’t the way many of us wanted to go out, but don’t let this stop us from becoming great in an industry that will forever uphold our nation. We are all capable of many things and this bump in the road can’t throw us off from what we are meant to do! Lastly 3)... to my many friends that have years to come, DO NOT TAKE IT FOR GRANTED. Many nights I’d come home from football, basketball, track or baseball practice and not wanna be at the barn or do any of the chores required to raise my show cattle. Had I known this would happen I’d take it back in a heartbeat! Every chance you get to go out there and stick a calf, make it worth it. Show like its your last time in the ring and make it all count! The only thing certain about this industry is that at some point, it’ll end for everyone. But it’s up to us to continue to make it one of the best in the nation and to progress through tough times like this! I know this is heavy on the heart of everyone, but take it from me, a senior, that I’m thankful to have grown up in such a great industry that will never fold under no circumstances! Thank you to everyone who’s ever been involved in anything I do, win or lose. Stock show families are irreplaceable and I appreciate everything anyone has done for me!"

These are the kind of Cup Cakes I want for the next generation.

I absolutely agree, and in this case it appears the disease of snowflake has not seeped in as much as we see in many areas. As I stated, these are some of the best education puts out, and some of the most sane parents too. Snowflake syndrome has already infected too much of education. My hope is that one area remains that truly is in the best interest of the student. Even if that stings a bit at times.

Proverbs 2
Re: OOOUUUCH! [Re: hook_n_line] #7769569 03/12/20 02:52 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
If most ag kids don't understand disappointment by the time they're 16-18, Lord help us. Failed crops, dead animals, stillborn young, drought, etc.-they should have experienced most if not all of these in any given decade, and some of these are a lot more $ than not getting to show an animal. I'd expect Ag kids to handle this much better than a lot of others.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide