Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sightmark Wraith-First Weekend Hunt Review #7709199 01/06/20 01:43 PM
TX_LT230FH Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Several years ago I made my first foray into night hunting when I picked up an AR off the forum here that already had a Sightmark Photon XT scope mounted on it. After using it with success for over a year, and after much discussion with Jason at Outdoor Legacy Gear I purchased a FLIR PTS536 thermal scope and pretty much shelved the Photon NV scope unit. When the initial reviews for the Wraith came out, I contacted Jason and told him to put me on the list for one, with the intention of using it as a back-up or loaner scope. It took me a while to get the scope mounted and ready to go. First, I did not want to modify my thermal set up, and second, I was waiting on my suppressor to be returned from servicing (long story- almost 2 years!).
So last weekend I got everything assembled and was ready to sight in the scope.
The rifle is a S&W chambered in 300 Whisper (I'm shooting 300BO), and a titanium 30 cal suppressor. I had an assortment of 300BO factory loads on hand so off to the bench we went...
[Linked Image]

I shot a number of the loads and all performed well. Shot up all my targets trying the scope out.
1. The zeroing process is very simple and works well. Like many digital scopes, shoot a couple rounds, keep the rifle stable and move the crosshair to the point of impact.
2. Daytime resolution of the scope is good, you do get a slight "tv-like pixellation" when moving the scope rapidly but it's not too bad.
3. The controls are well laid out and intuitive.

I ended up with a partial box left so I pulled off 7 rounds at the feed sack and had good results. The outlier is my fault... smile
[Linked Image]

Friday night I set up in one of my boxes with both the FLIR thermal on a 6.8 and the Wraith on the 300BO. Almost as soon as I got situated, I turned the thermal on and there was a hog under the feeder 85 yards away. I put down the thermal and picked up the Wraith and popped the hog between the ear and shoulder and he, of course, flopped right in the mudhole under the feeder.

Observations:
1. When you turn on the Wraith, it defaults to daytime mode. You have to switch it to night mode.
2. Unlike the Photon, if you don't turn on the provided IR illuminator, you won't see anything but a black screen. It was a bright moonlit night and I couldn't see anything through the Wraith with native light.
3. Pulling a heavy hog out of a sticky mudhole by an ear is difficult and messy.
[Linked Image]

About 2 hours later, another hog showed up and I lined up on his shoulder with the Wraith and pulled the trigger.
Observations:
1. When you pull the trigger, the flash blanks (whites) out the scope. When it clears, hog may or may not be there.
2. Good luck figuring out which way the hog ran.

I called it a night about 10 and dragged the first hog to the edge of the field with a 4-wheeler for the clean-up crew to take care of.
Saturday afternoon I went and sat in a ladder stand over the hog feeder with a pistol for a while, hoping to catch an early-arriver at the feeder. Behind the ladder, about 75 yards away in the woods, I noticed movement. 3 coyotes were tugging and devouring the 2nd hog from last night. I watched them for a while, then the wind finally shifted a bit and they left right around dark so I went back to the house to grab a bite before heading out again.
After dark I took the thermal and the Wraith and went to another box overlooking a 12 acre field. The routine was to scan with the thermal, then read the forum for a bit, then scan again, etc.
Observations:
1. The thermal is much better for scanning (duh).
2. I watched one hog back in the woods around 125 yards away for approximately 45 minutes as he was eating acorns. I could see him clearly with the thermal, but could not see small branches between me and him. Then I'd pick up the Wraith, and could see all the branches and the view was pretty much "washed out", except I could occasionally pick up a reflecting eye.
3. He left and went deeper into the woods.

Around 11:15 I picked up the thermal for a last look and saw a large hog coming into the field at about 250 yards away. He was working his way towards me in the wheat field, so I put down the thermal and picked up the Wraith. I could see him clearly at 150 yards, and waited until he got to 100 yards and shot him in the chest. He went straight down, then kicked up dirt for a bit.
[Linked Image]

I dragged him off with the 4-wheeler then called it a night.

So all in all, I like the Wraith a lot. It's a very good "entry-level" scope for anyone wanting to get into night hunting.

Pros:
1. Relatively inexpensive.
2. Uses AA batteries for the main unit, more pricey CR123 for the illuminator.
3. Easy to sight in.
4. Intuitive menu setup.
5. Good resolution out to 200 yards+

Cons:
1. Default to "day" mode when turning on
2. No ambient light visibility- must have IR illuminator on.
3. "White-out" from muzzle flash temporarily obscures view of what just happened when you pulled the trigger.

All in all, I'd recommend the Wraith. It will never replace thermal for me, but it is definitely usable and something good to keep around when you need a loaner.

As far as the 300BO, even though it was 3 shots, 3 hogs, I don't like it's performance as much as my 6.8SPC or 6.5 Grendel on hogs. And, of course, the load that I sighted it in with (which I had a bunch of on hand) has been discontinued. It was PNW ARMS 125 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. Next weekend I'm going to try the Remington Hog Hammer with the 130 gr TSX and see how it does.

[Linked Image]
Re: Sightmark Wraith-First Weekend Hunt Review [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7709362 01/06/20 03:55 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Just sighted in my Wraith this past weekend. Looking forward to getting it in the field this coming weekend.

Something I will offer up, When attaching the IR light, I first used an allen wrench thru the holes in the thumb screw. Upon getting it seemingly tight, mine was still a bit loose on the mount. I tightened it a good bit more, and the thumbscrew/stud broke off. Turns out, when running something thru both holes in the thumbscrew and trying to tighten it up, the stud bottomed out on the allen wrench, and when I applied more torque it broke the stud off because it was bound up. Something I should have realized before, just thought I'd relate it here and maybe someone can avoid my mistake. Luckily I have another IR light and mount, so I was able to install it. I called Sightmark and told them what happened, and they are sending me a new mount for free even though I told them it was my fault and wasn't looking for anything free. That's great customer service.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: Sightmark Wraith-First Weekend Hunt Review [Re: psycho0819] #7709374 01/06/20 04:06 PM
TX_LT230FH Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by psycho0819
Just sighted in my Wraith this past weekend. Looking forward to getting it in the field this coming weekend.

Something I will offer up, When attaching the IR light, I first used an allen wrench thru the holes in the thumb screw. Upon getting it seemingly tight, mine was still a bit loose on the mount. I tightened it a good bit more, and the thumbscrew/stud broke off. Turns out, when running something thru both holes in the thumbscrew and trying to tighten it up, the stud bottomed out on the allen wrench, and when I applied more torque it broke the stud off because it was bound up. Something I should have realized before, just thought I'd relate it here and maybe someone can avoid my mistake. Luckily I have another IR light and mount, so I was able to install it. I called Sightmark and told them what happened, and they are sending me a new mount for free even though I told them it was my fault and wasn't looking for anything free. That's great customer service.

That's similar to what I noticed- after attaching the IR source, there was a good bit of play in the light. I assumed it was because of the limited surface area of the mount to the light, and snugged it up best I could without over-torquing it.

One thing that might be obvious to you but it took me a minute to figure it out- when I first switched on the IR light at night, the entire screen was washed out white in the Wraith. Took me a minute to figure out the focus was all the way in and the beam was so wide it was blinding the scope. I adjusted it out and it was fine then.

[Linked Image]
Re: Sightmark Wraith-First Weekend Hunt Review [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7709486 01/06/20 05:53 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I do like their IR light mount though. The ball and socket design allows one to aim the light to the point of impact instead of having to light up a large area just to get the IR to shine on the POI area (since the light is offset to one side). Once adjusted, the light can be secured into position by tightening the smaller screws. Only thing I didn't like about it, is their light doesn't use a 1" tube/ring like many others do, so their mount is proprietary to their light. I think the IR light I previously owned is actually better (field test yet to come), but can't use it with their mount, and haven't been able to find a mount similar to theirs for a 1" tube.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: Sightmark Wraith-First Weekend Hunt Review [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7710112 01/07/20 02:28 AM
I
ImTheReasonDovesMourn Offline
Snarky Mark
Snarky Mark
I
Thanks for the review. Is there any reason for someone who already owns a Photon RT to replace it with a Wraith?

Originally Posted by KRoyal
Haha yea I polished that thing for hours.
Re: Sightmark Wraith-First Weekend Hunt Review [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #7710150 01/07/20 03:14 AM
D
Dennis in Ft Worth Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
The Sightmark web site has a firmware update that should end the "default to daytime issue. I did the update, but haven't yet checked that. I DID notice that the update improved the tendency of my unit to need refocusing when increasing magnification. I also have a Photon and will keep it--its a good scope, just different.

The Wraiths recording feature is pretty neat, especially for a guy with ten thumbs like me! Here's a daytime pic taken off video:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Me and ol' RUGER, 74 years and still shooting.
Re: Sightmark Wraith-First Weekend Hunt Review [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #7710164 01/07/20 03:35 AM
TX_LT230FH Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
Thanks for the review. Is there any reason for someone who already owns a Photon RT to replace it with a Wraith?

Sure- didn’t want to take the XT off what it was mounted on, the XT, although useable during the day, isn’t as good as the Wraith. The price is good, and the reviews were good.

[Linked Image]
Re: Sightmark Wraith-First Weekend Hunt Review [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7710224 01/07/20 05:42 AM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Thanks so much for the purchase and the shout out! cheers The review was great and I won't disagree with a single thing you said, the pros and cons are dead on. For me, the biggest thing is just the fact that it's a real value at $499. I don't think you can beat it for the money. And Dennis is right, the latest firmware update fixes the daytime mode issue. Here is latest firmware and info http://sm-wraith.com/firmware/

ImTheReasonDovesMourn, that's a good question about the RT and my answer is.....if you're perfectly happy with the RT, I'd stick with it. If you like the idea of the full color day time mode, the Wraith is extremely appealing. I believe the menu system and buttons are much easier to navigate and control on the Wraith than the Photon RT but Photon will record audio and it has a smart phone app, 2 things the Wraith HD can't do. So at the end of the day, if you're hankering for a new scope, I'd say buy a Wraith but if you're happy with what you've got, no huge reason to make the leap now.

Jason

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
The Late Night Vision Show - Co-Host
[Linked Image]
Night Vision, Thermal & Accessories
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: Sightmark Wraith-First Weekend Hunt Review [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7710300 01/07/20 12:54 PM
TX_LT230FH Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by TX_LT230FH
Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Sure- didn’t want to take the XT off what it was mounted on, the XT, although useable during the day, isn’t as good as the Wraith. The price is good, and the reviews were good.

Sorry, Doves- I thought you were asking me why I would choose to replace my XT with a Wraith. Like Jason says, if I had an RT instead of the XT I probably would have not replaced it. But then I like new shiny things and Jason makes it too easy to get them..... grin

[Linked Image]
Re: Sightmark Wraith-First Weekend Hunt Review [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7710680 01/07/20 06:14 PM
GNTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
2. Unlike the Photon, if you don't turn on the provided IR illuminator, you won't see anything but a black screen. It was a bright moonlit night and I couldn't see anything through the Wraith with native light.

Nice review, and very timely. Was just looking at those this morning. As for cons, well, the IR light requirement is for all digital night vision scopes. They are simply a camera sensor with the IR filter removed for night vision and put back in place for day vision. All camera sensors can detect IR light. The Photon is a photo intensifier tube and while it will benefit from added IR light, it amplifies the ambient light already available to give some vision without IR turned on.

I already have an ATN 4K 3-14, but the Wraith looked like a decent offering with higher magnification.

Re: Sightmark Wraith-First Weekend Hunt Review [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7710858 01/07/20 09:34 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Several years ago I made my first foray into night hunting when I picked up an AR off the forum here that already had a Sightmark Photon XT scope mounted on it. After using it with success for over a year, and after much discussion with Jason at Outdoor Legacy Gear I purchased a FLIR PTS536 thermal scope and pretty much shelved the Photon NV scope unit. When the initial reviews for the Wraith came out, I contacted Jason and told him to put me on the list for one, with the intention of using it as a back-up or loaner scope. It took me a while to get the scope mounted and ready to go. First, I did not want to modify my thermal set up, and second, I was waiting on my suppressor to be returned from servicing (long story- almost 2 years!).
So last weekend I got everything assembled and was ready to sight in the scope.
The rifle is a S&W chambered in 300 Whisper (I'm shooting 300BO), and a titanium 30 cal suppressor. I had an assortment of 300BO factory loads on hand so off to the bench we went...
[Linked Image]

I shot a number of the loads and all performed well. Shot up all my targets trying the scope out.
1. The zeroing process is very simple and works well. Like many digital scopes, shoot a couple rounds, keep the rifle stable and move the crosshair to the point of impact.
2. Daytime resolution of the scope is good, you do get a slight "tv-like pixellation" when moving the scope rapidly but it's not too bad.
3. The controls are well laid out and intuitive.

I ended up with a partial box left so I pulled off 7 rounds at the feed sack and had good results. The outlier is my fault... smile
[Linked Image]

Friday night I set up in one of my boxes with both the FLIR thermal on a 6.8 and the Wraith on the 300BO. Almost as soon as I got situated, I turned the thermal on and there was a hog under the feeder 85 yards away. I put down the thermal and picked up the Wraith and popped the hog between the ear and shoulder and he, of course, flopped right in the mudhole under the feeder.

Observations:
1. When you turn on the Wraith, it defaults to daytime mode. You have to switch it to night mode.
3. Pulling a heavy hog out of a sticky mudhole by an ear is difficult and messy.
[Linked Image]

About 2 hours later, another hog showed up and I lined up on his shoulder with the Wraith and pulled the trigger.
Observations:
1. When you pull the trigger, the flash blanks (whites) out the scope. When it clears, hog may or may not be there.
2. Good luck figuring out which way the hog ran.

I called it a night about 10 and dragged the first hog to the edge of the field with a 4-wheeler for the clean-up crew to take care of.
Saturday afternoon I went and sat in a ladder stand over the hog feeder with a pistol for a while, hoping to catch an early-arriver at the feeder. Behind the ladder, about 75 yards away in the woods, I noticed movement. 3 coyotes were tugging and devouring the 2nd hog from last night. I watched them for a while, then the wind finally shifted a bit and they left right around dark so I went back to the house to grab a bite before heading out again.
After dark I took the thermal and the Wraith and went to another box overlooking a 12 acre field. The routine was to scan with the thermal, then read the forum for a bit, then scan again, etc.
Observations:
1. The thermal is much better for scanning (duh).
2. I watched one hog back in the woods around 125 yards away for approximately 45 minutes as he was eating acorns. I could see him clearly with the thermal, but could not see small branches between me and him. Then I'd pick up the Wraith, and could see all the branches and the view was pretty much "washed out", except I could occasionally pick up a reflecting eye.
3. He left and went deeper into the woods.

Around 11:15 I picked up the thermal for a last look and saw a large hog coming into the field at about 250 yards away. He was working his way towards me in the wheat field, so I put down the thermal and picked up the Wraith. I could see him clearly at 150 yards, and waited until he got to 100 yards and shot him in the chest. He went straight down, then kicked up dirt for a bit.
[Linked Image]

I dragged him off with the 4-wheeler then called it a night.

So all in all, I like the Wraith a lot. It's a very good "entry-level" scope for anyone wanting to get into night hunting.

Pros:
1. Relatively inexpensive.
2. Uses AA batteries for the main unit, more pricey CR123 for the illuminator.
3. Easy to sight in.
4. Intuitive menu setup.
5. Good resolution out to 200 yards+

Cons:
1. Default to "day" mode when turning on
2. No ambient light visibility- must have IR illuminator on.
3. "White-out" from muzzle flash temporarily obscures view of what just happened when you pulled the trigger.

All in all, I'd recommend the Wraith. It will never replace thermal for me, but it is definitely usable and something good to keep around when you need a loaner.

As far as the 300BO, even though it was 3 shots, 3 hogs, I don't like it's performance as much as my 6.8SPC or 6.5 Grendel on hogs. And, of course, the load that I sighted it in with (which I had a bunch of on hand) has been discontinued. It was PNW ARMS 125 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. Next weekend I'm going to try the Remington Hog Hammer with the 130 gr TSX and see how it does.

I have the identical rifle, your's is the first I've seen like mine. I have killed a lot of good sized hogs using ammo I get from a THF member, Custom Reloads of Dallas. It's 120 gr Hornady SST, I believe its 2240 fps. I get great accuracy and awesome performance on hogs. Never shot that ammo past 150 yards, but wouldn't hesitate to. I believe he stocks this.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Sightmark Wraith-First Weekend Hunt Review [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7710888 01/07/20 10:08 PM
TX_LT230FH Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I have the identical rifle, your's is the first I've seen like mine. I have killed a lot of good sized hogs using ammo I get from a THF member, Custom Reloads of Dallas. It's 120 gr Hornady SST, I believe its 2240 fps. I get great accuracy and awesome performance on hogs. Never shot that ammo past 150 yards, but wouldn't hesitate to. I believe he stocks this.

Yeah, I have not seen many of the S&W rifles in 300. I picked mine up for a deal many years ago during the ammo shortage when you couldn't find 300 BO anywhere. Someone had bought it, got fed up trying to find ammo and returned it to the store.
I have some of the ammo you speak of- Chad loaded it for me back during the drought. Unfortunately, I had multiple problems with the ammo. Pull the trigger, click, couldn't extract the round, have to break the rifle down and push the round out with a cleaning rod. We finally figured out it was because the loads I had gotten were some that had mixed in re-sized 223 brass (since you could hardly find 300BO brass). I guess the chamber in the Smith was not liking it. Anyway, Chad and I figured it out and I've been shooting the other loads ever since.

[Linked Image]
Re: Sightmark Wraith-First Weekend Hunt Review [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7711130 01/08/20 02:03 AM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

Yeah, I have not seen many of the S&W rifles in 300. I picked mine up for a deal many years ago during the ammo shortage when you couldn't find 300 BO anywhere. Someone had bought it, got fed up trying to find ammo and returned it to the store.
I have some of the ammo you speak of- Chad loaded it for me back during the drought. Unfortunately, I had multiple problems with the ammo. Pull the trigger, click, couldn't extract the round, have to break the rifle down and push the round out with a cleaning rod. We finally figured out it was because the loads I had gotten were some that had mixed in re-sized 223 brass (since you could hardly find 300BO brass). I guess the chamber in the Smith was not liking it. Anyway, Chad and I figured it out and I've been shooting the other loads ever since.

This was my first, and to date only AR. I wanted the platform, but wanted something that would do more terminal damage than 5.56. You have 5R barrel? I do, and a Remington 700 5R Milpsec with a 5R barrel. Both are very good shooters. I'm getting an AR10 in 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm looking hard at S&W MP10 from their performance center. It also comes with a 5R Barrel.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Sightmark Wraith-First Weekend Hunt Review [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7715311 01/12/20 03:31 PM
H
Hilonesome Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I have the exact same set up (S&W 300 Blackout, Wraith Scope) I've found that an aftermarket IR Light greatly increases distance and Visibility, and mounted under the Barrel, you don't get the "Whiteout" from Muzzle blast and can see your Shot.

Re: Sightmark Wraith-First Weekend Hunt Review [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7725350 01/22/20 05:06 PM
JDMore Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I am looking at this Scope to put on my Ruger AR 350 Legend. Tempted to give it a try.

Thanks for the feedback, I also watched the Outdoor Legacy youtube video review.

Last edited by Jimmie Moreland; 01/22/20 05:07 PM.
Re: Sightmark Wraith-First Weekend Hunt Review [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7727042 01/24/20 03:54 AM
TX_LT230FH Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Update. I downloaded the firmware from the link Jason provided and now the Wraith remembers the last setting (day or night mode) after shutting down. I’m glad I followed the advice of checking zero because it lost it. Got it back close with the last of the PNW loads I had then switched to the 130 grain Remington Hog Hammer loaded with the TSX all copper bullet. The top target aim point was the junction between the outer circle and the upper orange rectangle. Shot the first round low right then moved the crosshairs then shot the other 9 in the magazine. Hopefully I’ll get to try the TSX load on some hogs after I get back from India.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: Sightmark Wraith-First Weekend Hunt Review [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7766428 03/09/20 01:56 AM
adkhunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Any more updates? I just got one and have it mounted. Have not got to the range yet but playing with it at night in the back yard it is pretty amazing for the money. Haven’t dropped the coin for a thermal yet. Think i may just go with a handheld for scanning and a supressor.

Be interested to see how it holds up with recoil. I have it on a 223 but everything i read says 308 max so hopefully it will hold up with heavy use.

Re: Sightmark Wraith-First Weekend Hunt Review [Re: adkhunter] #7766551 03/09/20 11:30 AM
TX_LT230FH Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by adkhunter
Any more updates? I just got one and have it mounted. Have not got to the range yet but playing with it at night in the back yard it is pretty amazing for the money. Haven’t dropped the coin for a thermal yet. Think i may just go with a handheld for scanning and a supressor.

Be interested to see how it holds up with recoil. I have it on a 223 but everything i read says 308 max so hopefully it will hold up with heavy use.

No updates yet- spent February pretty much with the thermal exclusively, then last weekend went to visit family. I plan on taking it back out this weekend, though.

[Linked Image]
Re: Sightmark Wraith-First Weekend Hunt Review [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7766952 03/09/20 08:02 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I used one this weekend while hunting pigs, no shots but I got plenty of night time use to see its capabilities.

I really like this scope. I was able to see very clearly at night out to at least 185 yards and ID coon under the feeder really well. I could see some deer in a field about 250 yards and could almost make out headgear on them, so I would say the limit on the scope might be close to 200 for shooting a hog.
It sees well through brush where other digital NV systems would get wash out.
Very impressed with its capabilities.

Caveat: I am using a UNV IR light and not the factory IR Illuminator.

Re: Sightmark Wraith-First Weekend Hunt Review [Re: Texas buckeye] #7767000 03/09/20 08:58 PM
TX_LT230FH Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
I used one this weekend while hunting pigs, no shots but I got plenty of night time use to see its capabilities.

I really like this scope. I was able to see very clearly at night out to at least 185 yards and ID coon under the feeder really well. I could see some deer in a field about 250 yards and could almost make out headgear on them, so I would say the limit on the scope might be close to 200 for shooting a hog.
It sees well through brush where other digital NV systems would get wash out.
Very impressed with its capabilities.

Caveat: I am using a UNV IR light and not the factory IR Illuminator.

Interesting. I may have to try an add-on illuminator. The factory one is on the scope now, and last time I used it all I could see with brush obstruction was an occasional shiny eye.

[Linked Image]
Re: Sightmark Wraith-First Weekend Hunt Review [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7767046 03/09/20 09:47 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
One thing I noticed with the scope and illuminator is there is a sweet spot for each shooting situation. Kind of a finagle as you go type thing.

I was impressed with the scopes ability. When I looked through it on an open pasture at my place I could see easily 300 yards through some trees in the forefront, though it wasn’t tight brush, but normally with digital NV anything in the forefront made the whole thing white wash out.

I was using it last night (when we were seeing the coons and deer) and humidity was really high, so there may have been some light “fog” in the air, or the deer may have been quite a bit further than I thought, but the coons at the feeder were so clear you could easily have made a shot on them at 185. This was on the medium setting for the UNV light, high setting didn’t make much difference and we were dealing with a plant right in front of the scope we were working around, so I think there is more the scope can offer than I am giving it credit for.

Re: Sightmark Wraith-First Weekend Hunt Review [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7768165 03/11/20 05:35 AM
E
Earl Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
This thread is gonna cost me some money. I sold my Photon RT last month, never even got to shoot it. Was a combination of spending too much and not a huge fan of the black and white daytime image, plus it was BIG. Full color sounds much more desirable and interesting plus the scope doesn't appear that it is as big as the Photon RT. It's bonus time at work so thinking of getting one later this week.

Does it run on sale or sell for a discount anywhere? Right now I'm leaning toward getting it at Cabelas since my son works there and have him buy it with his employee discount. I think he gets 15% off.

Earl

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Sightmark Wraith-First Weekend Hunt Review [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7768215 03/11/20 11:43 AM
TX_LT230FH Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Everywhere I looked it was 499$. That may be different now that the supply is out there and the scope has a little age to it.
15% off will be hard to match.

[Linked Image]
Re: Sightmark Wraith-First Weekend Hunt Review [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7768268 03/11/20 12:54 PM
G
gr8fuldoug Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
It's out pleasure to assist you with one of these Sightmark Wraith HD 4-32x50 Digital Riflescopes

Doug @ Camera Land

gr8fuldoug@aol.com
www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support we receive
Re: Sightmark Wraith-First Weekend Hunt Review [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7768828 03/11/20 08:33 PM
E
Earl Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Thanks Doug. If they are out where my son works I’ll be in contact with you. Earl

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide