Page 1 of 2 1 2
Prorated Lease #7761082 03/02/20 05:18 PM
L
Leonardo Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
L
The other topic got me to thinking about the prorated return of the lease funds. Reality for most is we are paying for a deer lease, the other hunting and access year around is more or less an accommodation. Can the days of deer season be weighted heavier than the remainder? Or is it a straight division of payment by 365 days.

Might be a good thing to have addressed in your lease.

Re: Prorated Lease [Re: Leonardo] #7761104 03/02/20 05:44 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I'd think any landower is going to tell you take a hike on that idea. There's a pretty good line of folks standing behind you ready and willing to simply pay for year-round access.

Imagine if you were charged "x" for access, "x" for each hog you shot, "x" for each coyote, "x" if you fished, "x" for a buck, "x" for a cull, "x" for a doe and so on. Sure wouldn't be much fun in managing that would it?

I'd also say prorating for anything longer than say 3 months is probably not going to be productive either.

I'm not a landowner, but I can see where it's no one's interest to make it a pain to manage.

If all you want to pay for is deer, then look for a seasonal lease, but I sure wouldn't want that...

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Prorated Lease [Re: Leonardo] #7761418 03/02/20 11:19 PM
R
RPG1997 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Any sensible landowner is gonna tell you to hit the road and not to come back with this idea. Just like Charlie said, there's a huge line of people that will pay for year-round access with no bs.

Re: Prorated Lease [Re: Leonardo] #7761430 03/02/20 11:33 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
although I agree with CharlieCTx and RPG1997 ... it would depend on how the lease was described in the first place and/or lease agreement for animals to be hunted. If it was billed as a deer lease with year around access versus being billed as a deer, turkey, dove, quail, exotic, hogs, etc. lease with year around hunting access, that could play out differently on potential prorated feeds ... just a thought

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Prorated Lease [Re: Leonardo] #7761440 03/02/20 11:43 PM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Most landowners are not like landlords of housing units. Landlords expect some crap will get damaged and that the renters will move in after a limited time period. The landowners I know have had the same groups of deer hunters for years, some for decades, with only a few groups of hunters that were the exception. There are also some landowners that quit leasing because of attitudes, and unreasonable bs done by hunters.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Prorated Lease [Re: PMK] #7761443 03/02/20 11:52 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I think the OP was looking at it completely opposite way. Even though I don't think its a very practical way to structure a lease I think I understand his thought. His concept would be in FAVOR of the landowner to structure it that way. If you had a 12 month lease and it started and ended Sept 1st and for whatever reason there had to be lease money returned right after deer season with more than half the term left. If I was the landowner I wouldn't think if would be fair to return 7 months worth of money when the "deer" value of the lease has already been used up. If I was the hunter under this scenario I would expect very little money returned since the vast vast majority of the value of the lease is for deer. I think PMK sees it the same way. Maybe im missing something and if I am im sure someone will straighten me out.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Prorated Lease [Re: freerange] #7761621 03/03/20 04:08 AM
L
Leonardo Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by freerange
I think the OP was looking at it completely opposite way. Even though I don't think its a very practical way to structure a lease I think I understand his thought. His concept would be in FAVOR of the landowner to structure it that way. If you had a 12 month lease and it started and ended Sept 1st and for whatever reason there had to be lease money returned right after deer season with more than half the term left. If I was the landowner I wouldn't think if would be fair to return 7 months worth of money when the "deer" value of the lease has already been used up. If I was the hunter under this scenario I would expect very little money returned since the vast vast majority of the value of the lease is for deer. I think PMK sees it the same way. Maybe im missing something and if I am im sure someone will straighten me out.

You are correct. My thought stemmed from the other thread where multiple people suggested a prorated return.

Re: Prorated Lease [Re: Leonardo] #7761631 03/03/20 05:13 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
The way I understand it, you pay what you pay and you make a deal for year round access or access during deer season only.

If you want to hunt deer in Texas, you almost have to get a lease or draw a lottery hunt. It's almost all private with little available deer hunting on public lands. Typically pigs and small game other than in national forests, which are almost all in East Texas and shotgun only.

So if you find someone that will make a deal with you and lease to you for hunting I wouldn't push it. Be thankful and try to show him that you are thankful.

Plenty of rural land in Texas for hunting, but you gotta pay to play if you want to hunt deer.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Prorated Lease [Re: Leonardo] #7761700 03/03/20 12:54 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
And people wonder why more and more properties are not being leased to hunters. Lease agreements. Hunters thinking once they lease it is their property. Hunters telling the land owner what they want done . And it goes on and on. Exactly why I no longer lease.

Re: Prorated Lease [Re: don k] #7761711 03/03/20 01:13 PM
L
LonestarCobra Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by don k
And people wonder why more and more properties are not being leased to hunters. Lease agreements. Hunters thinking once they lease it is their property. Hunters telling the land owner what they want done . And it goes on and on. Exactly why I no longer lease.

Spot on!

Re: Prorated Lease [Re: Leonardo] #7761750 03/03/20 01:50 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I guess the good ole days of a hand shake and two men's words are mostly gone. Our lease has operated the last 7 years with nothing more than a hand shake and simple conversation.

Landowner gave half our money back last season after the anthrax hit and said he'd give us the same deal for the next few seasons as the deer rebound. Good lease agreements and relationships can still be had without every rule imaginable being put on a piece of paper 2cents

Re: Prorated Lease [Re: titan2232] #7761765 03/03/20 02:03 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by titan2232
I guess the good ole days of a hand shake and two men's words are mostly gone. Our lease has operated the last 7 years with nothing more than a hand shake and simple conversation.

Landowner gave half our money back last season after the anthrax hit and said he'd give us the same deal for the next few seasons as the deer rebound. Good lease agreements and relationships can still be had without every rule imaginable being put on a piece of paper 2cents

That's the kind of man that I would want as a friend.... up

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Prorated Lease [Re: titan2232] #7761771 03/03/20 02:10 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by titan2232

That requires two parties that have common sense, respect and maturity. Those three characteristics are often hard to obtain together.

Re: Prorated Lease [Re: don k] #7761824 03/03/20 03:12 PM
R
RPG1997 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R

Ain't that the truth. The hunters, not all of them are thrown into this, increasingly seem to be getting more and more out of control. They don't own the property, the extent of their involvement with the property starts and ends with recreational activities (mainly hunting and sometimes fishing). It's exactly like you said, they are beginning to think that they own the property and think that they have the right to tell the landowner exactly what should and shouldn't be done on the property. It makes it very challenging and nearly impossible to operate a ranch with hunting leases on it.

Re: Prorated Lease [Re: RPG1997] #7761826 03/03/20 03:18 PM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Originally Posted by RPG1997

Ain't that the truth. The hunters, not all of them are thrown into this, increasingly seem to be getting more and more out of control. They don't own the property, the extent of their involvement with the property starts and ends with recreational activities (mainly hunting and sometimes fishing). It's exactly like you said, they are beginning to think that they own the property and think that they have the right to tell the landowner exactly what should and shouldn't be done on the property. It makes it very challenging and nearly impossible to operate a ranch with hunting leases on it.

My thoughts exactly as a landowner.

I am on my last year of leasing, when this lease is over, it is over.

The money is nice, but the headaches are not.

Re: Prorated Lease [Re: LonestarCobra] #7761829 03/03/20 03:23 PM
L
Leonardo Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by LonestarCobra

Spot on!

My question was intended to be more thought provoking for everyone but primarily from a land owner's perspective. 90% of the responses regarding lease issues are "do you have a written lease agreement?" If you do then this topic might warrant some attention.

Re: Prorated Lease [Re: Leonardo] #7761880 03/03/20 04:24 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Leonardo
Originally Posted by LonestarCobra

Spot on!

My question was intended to be more thought provoking for everyone but primarily from a land owner's perspective. 90% of the responses regarding lease issues are "do you have a written lease agreement?" If you do then this topic might warrant some attention.

Mine was from a land owners perspective. When you start needing an attorney to write up a lease agreement and have it registered in the court house along side the deed to your property it becomes a little too much to take.

Re: Prorated Lease [Re: Leonardo] #7761902 03/03/20 04:41 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Seems we once had a lease agreement where the owner was to pay the hunter or hunters $150. if the lease was broken by the owner.

Two way street hunters must realize there is only one owner of the property and in turn would expect the owner to be ethical. Once had a owner tell one of our hunters that they can easily be replaced because hunters are a dime a dozen.

Re: Prorated Lease [Re: Wilhunt] #7762015 03/03/20 06:35 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by Wilhunt
Seems we once had a lease agreement where the owner was to pay the hunter or hunters $150. if the lease was broken by the owner.

Two way street hunters must realize there is only one owner of the property and in turn would expect the owner to be ethical. Once had a owner tell one of our hunters that they can easily be replaced because hunters are a dime a dozen.

Pretty much correct. High percentage of folks that will take a place without meeting the owner or laying eyes on the property.

Re: Prorated Lease [Re: Leonardo] #7762023 03/03/20 06:44 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I used to let people hunt on my land while I was there and it wasn't bad. Decided to lease it and now they ruined it for everybody. I'm a nice guy. I'll give you plenty of rein, just don't try to pull it from my hand.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Prorated Lease [Re: don k] #7762163 03/03/20 09:50 PM
M
majekman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
M

^^^^^THIS

Re: Prorated Lease [Re: hook_n_line] #7762169 03/03/20 09:57 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted by hook_n_line
I used to let people hunt on my land while I was there and it wasn't bad. Decided to lease it and now they ruined it for everybody. I'm a nice guy. I'll give you plenty of rein, just don't try to pull it from my hand.

Hook would you mind giving some examples of the wrong things after leasing? Don't doubt you just curious, been on the same lease for 19 years with no problems. Just takes common sense seems to me.

Re: Prorated Lease [Re: Wilhunt] #7763820 03/05/20 02:52 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H

Hook would you mind giving some examples of the wrong things after leasing? Don't doubt you just curious, been on the same lease for 19 years with no problems. Just takes common sense seems to me.

I came up one night and found a party going on in front of my camper trailer. What set me off the most was the way they trashed the spot my wife loved to sit look over the creek (trash down in the creek). People sometimes forget the land doesn't belong to them and they think because the landowner isn't there all the time they can do what they want. My neighbors reported hearing a shot and finding a wounded deer that would have been under the AR minimum on his land. Nobody would own up to shooting it when he asked them. I know mistakes happen but just admit it. My neighbor lives on his property and would stop by my place and check on it once in a while to make sure there were no water leaks. One day he found a deer in a hog trap they left set. This happened in 1 year. When the lease was up it was up.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Prorated Lease [Re: Wilhunt] #7763885 03/05/20 03:56 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R

Many LO's could give examples & write at least paragraphs if not multiple pages of ' what went wrong ' with people & leases on their property.
Those same folks could also write about great folks that leased their property years ago.

Seems as time goes by more & more LO's end up with more problems than it is worth to continue to lease for recreation/hunting.
IMO, generally speaking people have changed.

Also seems like the increase in LO lease problems relates to how close to a major city the property is.

Re: Prorated Lease [Re: Leonardo] #7763899 03/05/20 04:09 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Thanks Hook, have to say my feelings would be the same. Bad part is the good guys get penalized going forward just like the bad guys.

Rustler may have hit the nail on the head.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide