Page 1 of 2 1 2
Learning to hunt? #7762213 03/03/20 11:29 PM
S
shuh39 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
Hello all first post here! Discovered this forum from Texas fishing forum. Been there since 2007.
I've been bird hunting several times with buddies of mine who were kind enough to take me out (dove and Pheasant) but they don't do much hunting otherwise.

I wanted to learn more about hunting here in Texas specifically for deer and hogs and wanted to try to cut my teeth on some public land.
I know I need a public land permit and hunters orange but that's about all I know.
The nearest piece of public land to me Sam Houston National Forest. A place I would like to go check out soon.

I'm looking for any and all advice/checklists!

Edit * buddies told me it's pretty hard to learn to hunt as an adult novice unless you grew up doing it or have a ton of money. Hoping there's ways around this lol

Last edited by shuh39; 03/03/20 11:33 PM.
Re: Learning to hunt? [Re: shuh39] #7762260 03/04/20 12:09 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by shuh39
Hello all first post here! Discovered this forum from Texas fishing forum. Been there since 2007.
I've been bird hunting several times with buddies of mine who were kind enough to take me out (dove and Pheasant) but they don't do much hunting otherwise.

I wanted to learn more about hunting here in Texas specifically for deer and hogs and wanted to try to cut my teeth on some public land.
I know I need a public land permit and hunters orange but that's about all I know.
The nearest piece of public land to me Sam Houston National Forest. A place I would like to go check out soon.

Edit * buddies told me it's pretty hard to learn to hunt as an adult novice unless you grew up doing it or have a ton of money. Hoping there's ways around this lol

welcome
Not easy to learn to hunt, but a having friend as a mentor can make it easier.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Learning to hunt? [Re: shuh39] #7762465 03/04/20 04:20 AM
F
Fitzwho Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Learning to hunt isn’t really the hard part. There are YouTube videos for how to gut and butcher everything.

Make sure to take Hunter’s Education.

Public land can be tough, but also rewarding when you finally get it figured out. Don’t get discouraged. I went 0 for 3 out west last year on a total of about $1500 in tags.

If you are that “green” at it. Find a decent guided hog hunt so you can get some practice with somebody who knows what they’re doing. This will be the most budget friendly thing and you should be able to take multiple animals. Talk to the guide first and tell him what you want out of the hunt.

I have hunted public land in Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming. I did some duck and pheasant hunting on a few Texas APH leases in the panhandle back in college, but haven’t set foot on one in 10+ years and never to chase big game (in Texas).

Permian_Skullworks on Instagram
Re: Learning to hunt? [Re: shuh39] #7762469 03/04/20 04:22 AM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
welcome

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
Re: Learning to hunt? [Re: shuh39] #7762509 03/04/20 06:07 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Welcome smile

I believe the national forests are not by Texas public permit. Those permits are issued from the visitors center of a given forest, 1st come 1st serve, and free. Plus Texas hunting license etc of course.

There are some TPWD controlled WMA's in the national forests, you'll need the texas pubic lands permit for that.

Lake Bardwell is open until the end of March for pigs. No permit lake, just a Texas hunting license and hunters ed and are good to go. Shotgun only, slug only for pigs and no larger than #2 shot otherwise.

Also look at richland creek WMA. That one is open throughout March for pigs and some other stuff. You can use a rifle there for pigs. But this one requires Texas public permit.

Really even if you dont use it the public permit is worth spending your money on. Small proce to pay for access to hunting in Texas.

I would not let those guys talk you out of it. If you get out there and use the wind, and your know your weapon, you'll have some success.

Even if you don't, so what? Any time spent in nature is time well spent.

Bring a fishing pole too smile

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Learning to hunt? [Re: TCM3] #7762514 03/04/20 06:29 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by TCM3
welcome

Howdy

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Learning to hunt? [Re: shuh39] #7762545 03/04/20 11:51 AM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
welcome and good luck up

texas flag

Re: Learning to hunt? [Re: shuh39] #7762579 03/04/20 01:08 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
welcome

One of the most important requirements is proficiency with your weapon of choice.

I suggest you go to the gun/rifle section of this site to ask advice for choosing your weapon. After you accomplish this, spend as much time as possible at the firing range becoming proficient. You owe whatever animals you hunt the very best effort to get a quick clean kill.......

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Learning to hunt? [Re: shuh39] #7762588 03/04/20 01:25 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
You can pre-scout the area that you plan to hunt by lookinng at google maps and topo maps and finding funnels and pinch points. Look for saddles and ridges that create funnels. Look for creek crossings. Look for likely travel corridors. If you are hunting where there is little terrain, it can be tougher, but you can still find subtle funnels and pinch points.

Re: Learning to hunt? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7762590 03/04/20 01:30 PM
A
AMF Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
welcome

One of the most important requirements is proficiency with your weapon of choice.

I suggest you go to the gun/rifle section of this site to ask advice for choosing your weapon. After you accomplish this, spend as much time as possible at the firing range becoming proficient. You owe whatever animals you hunt the very best effort to get a quick clean kill.......

Yes, this. I hate with a seething passion a hunter that will take a pot shot at game, wound it and then just shrug it off. If you can't shoot or are too far out to make a clean, quick kill, unload the rifle and go home.

Re: Learning to hunt? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7762593 03/04/20 01:34 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
welcome

Yes, hunting and shooting should be viewed as separate sports with each requiring an individual effort to learn all you can about them.

Also, hunting public land is much different than how most folks hunt on private land. Private land hunting is strongly dominated by watching feeders, which are not permitted on public land. Success when hunting public land depends more on your ability to learn deer behavior and knowing how to use terrain and cover to your advantage, not to mention basic woodsmanship so that you don't get lost. Also, a permit is required on many but not all public lands so you'll need to check with the governing offices to find out. And while some areas of public lands see a lot of hunting activity, you can find others that see little if any. You'll just have to do your homework by studying maps and satellite images and then confirm your findings by putting boots on the ground.

As for considering yourself green to the sport, I would suggest checking you local public library for books that will help get you started. Pay special attention to finding older books as these usually contain information and tips that are more applicable to the type of hunting skills you'll need on public land. As for magazines, my favorite is Deer and Deer Hunting because as the title implies, the articles focus on deer and their behavior, as well as good strategies on how to hunt them.

There are some excellent deer on public lands in Texas if you don't mind working harder to scout and hunt them.

Good luck!

Last edited by Texas Dan; 03/04/20 01:46 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Learning to hunt? [Re: shuh39] #7762633 03/04/20 02:13 PM
T
TKandMike Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
If you have the time to go through a bunch of the forum you'll see several great posts on everything from caliber and weapon choice to blood trailing and butchering.

Best of luck

Re: Learning to hunt? [Re: TCM3] #7762648 03/04/20 02:24 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
welcome

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Learning to hunt? [Re: Mr. T.] #7762823 03/04/20 04:29 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Mr. T.
welcome

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Learning to hunt? [Re: AMF] #7763145 03/04/20 09:14 PM
D
David W. Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
Originally Posted by Duke107
welcome

Yes, this. I hate with a seething passion a hunter that will take a pot shot at game, wound it and then just shrug it off. If you can't shoot or are too far out to make a clean, quick kill, unload the rifle and go home.

This x 2!! cheers

Re: Learning to hunt? [Re: shuh39] #7763182 03/04/20 09:37 PM
L
Leveled Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
L
Public hunting in Texas is tough but at least it is cheap. Good news is Sam Houston is a good spot with lots of different areas and pigs. The best spot for deer is San Angelo Twin Buttes which also has the best hunting regulations. Most other places are simply too crowded. You will need to have the APH permit along with your license to hunt Sam Houston NF. It is $48 dollars.

My best advice for public hunting and learning is simply go to be in the woods. The more places you visit and the longer you scout and hike the better you will do. Also get a decent GPS. A Garmin unit will prevent you from getting lost and allow you to roam free and make it back to your vehicle. You can then download your paths and marked way points when you get home.

Come September lottery hunts open up and are another cheap way to hunt state parks and otherwise closed WMAs for deer. Also apply for a doe permit for Sam Houston NF.

A good pair of waterproof boots are a must and a back pack to carry a few common sense essentials.

Re: Learning to hunt? [Re: shuh39] #7763217 03/04/20 09:51 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
welcome ta texasHF
Youll find lots of help...

flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Learning to hunt? [Re: dogcatcher] #7763236 03/04/20 10:01 PM
K
Korean Redneck Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by dogcatcher

welcome
Not easy to learn to hunt, but a having friend as a mentor can make it easier.

Couldn't agree more. And this forum is a good resource but like all other forums it's just a matter of sifting through the bs. I know this because I'm a hunter who only started as an adult. I hate feeding stereotypes but I'm Korean so family tradition of hunting or even firearms was never a thing in my house growing up. I'm 37 now and love it. It's totally a part of my house in my kids are growing up.
Good luck.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: Learning to hunt? [Re: shuh39] #7763302 03/04/20 10:59 PM
B
Big8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
welcome

Re: Learning to hunt? [Re: shuh39] #7763478 03/05/20 02:11 AM
S
shuh39 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
Thanks for the info so far everyone!

So just to clarify do I need to purchase additional tags or anything else with my annual public land hunting permit or does it come with tags like the super hunter fishing combo comes with?
Also, with regard to Sam Houston or any of the other wma's am I able to drive in and leave my truck on the side of the road to scout? Might be a stupid question but also are there a lot of break ins with this type of parking?
Sounds like I will have to go to Sam Houston and just walk around with a gps to start looking around.

Re: Learning to hunt? [Re: shuh39] #7763767 03/05/20 02:03 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
No additional tags are needed on in the national forest. Get your hunting license and APH and your good. When you buy the APH they will send you a book of the lands you can hunt that includes the firearm type, game you can take and when. I've been buying my APH for 15 years now. The map for the Sam Houston National Forest is provided in the public lands book along with the regulations. I hunted it years ago before I got my own place.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Learning to hunt? [Re: shuh39] #7763798 03/05/20 02:34 PM
M
mickeyhft Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M

There are some mentored hunt programs out there that can really help. Texas Backcountry Hunters and Anglers has recently started a program for adults. Texas Stewards of the Wild, TPWD, and others have them too, though seems hard to get info on. Texas Youth Hunting Program if you have a kid, doesn't have to be yours, to bring and then you learn from the guides too. Best of luck to you!

DFW Roofing Contractor - Priority Roofing
HuntFishThrive.com

We are all in this together!
Re: Learning to hunt? [Re: shuh39] #7763904 03/05/20 04:14 PM
S
shuh39 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
Ok so I need to purchase the standard resident hunting license $25 and the APH permit $48?

Re: Learning to hunt? [Re: shuh39] #7763920 03/05/20 04:30 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Ok so I need to purchase the standard resident hunting license $25 and the APH permit $48?

up if your only using rifle or shotgun.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Learning to hunt? [Re: hook_n_line] #7763936 03/05/20 04:42 PM
S
shuh39 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
Originally Posted by hook_n_line

up if your only using rifle or shotgun.

Gotcha thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide