Page 1 of 2 1 2
Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili #7761949 03/03/20 05:37 PM
A
AMF Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
A
At the risk of starting another civil war.....

I'd like to learn how to make chili, Texas style. Care to share your Recipe? Please?

Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: AMF] #7761969 03/03/20 05:57 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
lots of beans peep

Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: AMF] #7761995 03/03/20 06:21 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
I make this with 20-25lbs of venison chili meat in a 22qt electric roaster. I don't really brown the meat as much as just greying it. You could cut the Paprika in half and probably not miss anything.

Brown 20lbs of Chili Meat. Drain
Add 1 gallon of beef broth.
Bring to a boil and add 1st dump. Reduce heat to a simmer (250-275) & cook 2 hours, stirring several times
1st Dump
Quantity Measurement Product
8 Tbsp Paprika
8 Tbsp Garlic Powder
8 Tbsp Onion Powder
8 Tbsp Beef Bullion
8 Tbsp Chicken Bullion

Add 2nd dump, cook for 1 hour, stirring infrequently.
2nd Dump
4 t Salt
2 t Jalapeno Powder
4 t Brown Sugar
As needed HOT Water

Add 3rd dump, cook for 1 hour or to near desired doneness.
3rd Dump
8 Tbsp Paprika
1 t Ancho Powder
1 t Habanero Powder
8 Tbsp Light Chili Powder
2 t White pepper
2 t Red pepper
16 Tbsp Dark Chili Powder
As needed HOT Water

Add fourth dump, stir repeatedly, and turn off cooker. Let sit for 2-3 hours.
4th Dump
16 Tbsp Dark Chili Powder
8 t Paprika
8 Tbsp Light Chili Powder
8 Tbsp Cumin
2 t Brown Sugar
As needed HOT Water

Add Cayenne or Habanero powder if you want it hotter.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: ETexas Hunter] #7761997 03/03/20 06:23 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by ETexas Hunter
lots of beans peep

rifle

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: AMF] #7762006 03/03/20 06:27 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
First your gonna need 3 cans of corn and 1 can of green beans with about 2 pounds of ground turkey.

roflmao I couldn't keep that up. My recipe is pretty simple and everyone always loves it. I serve it over some rice with avocado and shredded cheddar. I don't measure out the spices. In all honesty the amounts below are probably under what I actually put in the chili.

2 pounds coarse ground venison or beef
1 pound mexican chorizo
2 28-ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes
3 large poblanos diced
1 medium white onion diced
1 small can chipotle in adobo diced
1 small can green chilis
6 cloves sliced garlic
3 cups beef broth

Spices dump 1
1.5 tablespoons ancho chili powder
1.5 tablespoons new mexico chili powder
1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin

spices dump 2
1.5 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon garlic powder
.5 tablespoon ancho chili powder
.5 tablespoon new mexico chili powder

Get a nice sear on the ground venison/beef and set aside
cook onions and poblanos on a little oil until tender
add garlic and cook for about a minute
add spice dumb 1 and cook for another minute
add peeled tomatoes and mash with potato masher
add chipotle in adobo, green chilis, and enough broth to cover
simmer for at least 1.5 hours
around 15 minutes before being done/serving add spice dump 2

Last edited by Thisisbeer; 03/03/20 06:29 PM.
Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: AMF] #7762008 03/03/20 06:30 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
First, learn how to make beef bone broth. Then find Pendry’s web site and study up on the various chili’s they offer. Then, find a good butcher shop and learn about coarse chili ground beef and pork. Then get your freezer loaded with venison and hog. Then realize that chili does not have beans.

There is no true recipe for chili, just a baseline. Meat, beef broth simmered with a dried chili, onion, garlic, Pendry’s original chili powder, salt, pepper and corn masa to thicken if needed. Find a chili you like to add a little heat. I like Pendry’s fire and smoke seasoning.

Cook it in cast iron.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: AMF] #7762147 03/03/20 09:35 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
How many of you actually measure?

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: AMF] #7762162 03/03/20 09:48 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
You don't have to get goofy with all the ingredients. Buy a pack of McCormicks Original Chili mix and a pound of ground meat. I personally like beans in my chili so I also get a can of pintos to throw in the mix. The bride likes fritos and cheese in hers. A good hearty Texas Chili without all the trouble.

Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: don k] #7762173 03/03/20 10:06 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by don k
You don't have to get goofy with all the ingredients. Buy a pack of McCormicks Original Chili mix and a pound of ground meat. I personally like beans in my chili so I also get a can of pintos to throw in the mix. The bride likes fritos and cheese in hers. A good hearty Texas Chili without all the trouble.

Sounds like a hell of a Texas stew. bolt

I like getting some high quality chili powders for my chili. I think it makes a noticeable difference over the premixed stuff.

Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: AMF] #7762174 03/03/20 10:08 PM
T
TexasKC Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
[Linked Image]

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: TexasKC] #7762177 03/03/20 10:12 PM
W
whitewing maniac Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted by TexasKC
[Linked Image]

Or wick fowler's is good enuff for my family. May not win a cook off with it, but it's the making of a good pot of chili.

Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: AMF] #7762186 03/03/20 10:29 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: AMF] #7762190 03/03/20 10:37 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
I like beans and I like chili ... I even like beans mixed into chili ... cornbread, cheese, fresh chopped onions thrown into the mix after the chili is done.

but to answer the original question about genuine Texas chili ... it does not have beans or tomato sauce or any tomato products, just meat (ground or cubed), water or beef broth and spices cooked down into a thick sauce.

there are many other varieties of chili that are very good ...

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: AMF] #7762194 03/03/20 10:48 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
If you like beans in chili, search for my Wendy’s Chili recipe posted here. It ain’t Texas chili but it’s pretty good stuff.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: AMF] #7762209 03/03/20 11:24 PM
T
TLoving Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
CASI, the Chili Appreciation Society International, hosts the world championship chili cook off in Terilingua. At the CASI website they have recipes of some of the past winners.

Luck favors the prepared mind.
Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: AMF] #7762320 03/04/20 01:24 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
4 pounds beef
8 TBS Gebhardt's Chili powder
4 cloves of garlic, minced
8 TBS flour
8 TBS fat
1 TBS salt
2 quarts hot water
2 large onions finely chopped

Cut beef into about 1/2" cubes, do not grind. Mix the meat Gebhardt's Chili Powder, flour, and garlic. In a large pot melt fat and fry onion until tender, then add meat mix and cook for 15 minutes. Add salt and gradually add hot water, simmer for one hour or until meat is tender.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: AMF] #7762328 03/04/20 01:31 AM
A
AMF Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
A
And no gunfire yet. Y'all make me proud to be a member here.

Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: AMF] #7762334 03/04/20 01:36 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
http://www.moutons.org/Recipes/Original%20Texas%20Chili%20con%20Carne.htm

Original Texas Chili Con Carne
from “A Bowl of Red” by Frank X. Tolbert

The late Frank X. Tolbert wrote this story of Chili back in 1953, and he gives lots of varied recipes. My favorite is the “Original Texas Chili”. He says:
“The original Texas-style chili didn’t contain any vegetables except chili peppers, the burning capsicums, a few other spices derived from the plant kingdom – no tomatoes or chopped onions.” No beans, either, though it’s OK to add cooked beans to the bowl after all is done. “The original was simply bite-sized or coarsely ground beef or other mature meats (never, never veal) cooked slowly and for a long time in boon companionship with the pulp of chili peppers, crushed powder from the curly leaves of oregano, ground cuminseeds, and chopped garlic cloves.”

Dried peppers prepared as in the recipe is the original way, but chili powder is a possible substitute though you will lose flavor that way. Be very careful what peppers you use. Anchos as specified give plenty of flavor and modest heat. If you happen to get a different dried pepper LOOK OUT! Some will blow the top of your head off at this level. The added cayenne seems to me to be a joke, and I usually use a lot less. If you are brave, you can give it a try. Depends on how hot your dried peppers turn out to be.

Best if you can make chili the day before and rest it overnight in the refrigerator.
I made some today to this recipe and yep, it was GOOD!
Weight Watchers: 12 points per ½ lb serving; 7 points when it’s 50-50 beans.

Ingredients (6-8 servings?):
12 dried sun dried ancho or alternatively “Jap” peppers, preferably dark red
This will give an “elevated” flavor, use half that for mild chili
Water to cover them
3 lbs lean beef. Stew meat is good if it’s fat free. Prime meat will turn to mush.
1/8 lb rendered beef kidney suet (can be omitted for less fat, but you lose flavor)

1 tbsp oregano, preferably Mexican oregano
1 tbsp crushed cuminseeds
1 tbsp salt (to taste)
1 tbsp Tabasco sauce
1 tbsp cayenne pepper, or much less if you’re not crazy
2 cloves garlic or more to your taste, minced
3 tbsp Gebhardt’s chili powder, if you want it redder and more flavorful – not in the original

2 tbsp instant masa

1 tbsp paprika, to add red color if the peppers are not red enough

Preparation (2 ½ - 3 hours):
Wash the peppers and remove the stems and seeds. (Don’t touch your eyes during this operation and wash hands thoroughly afterward, or better, wear rubber gloves)

Boil the pods in a little water for 30 minutes, or until you can remove the skin. Save the peppery water for use later.
Grind the pulp with a little peppery water in the blender. Add the paprika if the mash is not red enough to suit you. For a less-flavorful alternative, you can just use 1 tbsp Gebhardt’s chili powder to replace each pepper pod.

Use a heavy pot, preferably cast iron and well-seasoned.

Heat the rendered suet or a little vegetable oil in the pot.

Brown the diced or ground beef over medium high heat until well browned, in several loads. Each load should have space between the pieces of meat so that they brown all over and don’t start stewing. A dark brown crust will give you the best beefy flavor, so brown more than you think. High heat causes the outside to brown while the inside stays uncooked.

Return all the beef to the pot, add the mashed pepper pods, and as much peppery water (or tap water if you run out) as you’ll need to keep the chili from burning. You can watch it and add more water as it cooks to keep the consistency right.
Bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer for 30 minutes.

Remove from heat and add oregano, cumin, salt, Tabasco sauce, and garlic. Test the heat level and if you need it add some cayenne and (optional) chili powder.

Bring to a boil again and simmer for 45 minutes, keeping the lid on as much as possible. Stir when necessary but too much stirring will tear up the meat, especially if the meat is too tender. Add more peppered water (or water) if the mixture gets close to burning. You need to keep the consistency as you like it, since it’s possible to have this come out like chunks of spice-encrusted beef rather than chili!

Remove from heat

Skim off the grease to reduce your fat intake, if you like.

Mix in the Masa Harina to thicken and impart a nice tamale-like taste. If you can’t find that regular corn flour or corn meal makes a substitute.

Return to heat and simmer for another 30 minutes or until the meat is done.
Taste and adjust salt and heat level. If you really need more kick you can add whole chilis without seeds and skins. You might find that adding water to make it more soupy can stretch the recipe out and maybe even make it taste better.
Rest it in the refrigerator overnight if you can, to improve the flavor and bring more fat to the surface to skim. It’s amazing how the flavor improves with a little rest.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: AMF] #7762609 03/04/20 01:57 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Other than a bunch of chest thumpers I still have never seen the official decree that says texas chili doesn't have beans in it.

My family immigrated to texas and we have never strayed for generations. Far as I know all our chili recipes have always had beans. I doubt 150 years ago some hard working cowpoke on the range would have gave two chits if his chili had beans or not.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: redchevy] #7762658 03/04/20 02:31 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by redchevy
Other than a bunch of chest thumpers I still have never seen the official decree that says texas chili doesn't have beans in it.

My family immigrated to texas and we have never strayed for generations. Far as I know all our chili recipes have always had beans. I doubt 150 years ago some hard working cowpoke on the range would have gave two chits if his chili had beans or not.

Texas chili is unique from other chilis in that it does not contain beans or tomato sauce, or any tomato product. It is made primarily of meat and a thick and flavor chili paste made from dried peppers. ... Because of the reddish color from the chili, it is also known as Texas Red Chili or Cowboy Chili.Feb 18, 2019

Texas Chili

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: AMF] #7762706 03/04/20 03:02 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Ill pass on the google/Wikipedia definition of it not having beans.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: redchevy] #7762743 03/04/20 03:29 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T

Pass all you want. Texas chili doesn't have beans. That's not to say chili can't have beans. But texas style chili is a well known style of chili that almost unanimously doesn't contain beans. Chili can have beans, Texas style chili cannot. Both are good tasting chilis, just different. There are plenty of chili styles out there including Cincinnati-style, chile verde, Springfield-style, etc. some have beans, some don't include tomatoes, and some use brisket burnt ends. Anywhere you look for a definition of texas style chili it doesn't include beans. If you have a 150 year old recipe that has been passed down through the generations that includes beans that's awesome and sounds like a bowl of chili that I would love to try, but that doesn't represent all of Texas. In the modern world texas style chili is well defined. In short, chili can absolutely have beans, to be considered texas style it cannot. Put whatever you want in your chili if you enjoy it. At the end of the day that's all that matters.

Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: AMF] #7762753 03/04/20 03:39 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Cincinnati style chili is trash, I had to try when I was up there a few years ago. I guess someone thought putting an absurd amount of cinnamon in it was a great idea.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: Thisisbeer] #7762790 03/04/20 04:06 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Thisisbeer

Pass all you want. Texas chili doesn't have beans. That's not to say chili can't have beans. But texas style chili is a well known style of chili that almost unanimously doesn't contain beans. Chili can have beans, Texas style chili cannot. Both are good tasting chilis, just different. There are plenty of chili styles out there including Cincinnati-style, chile verde, Springfield-style, etc. some have beans, some don't include tomatoes, and some use brisket burnt ends. Anywhere you look for a definition of texas style chili it doesn't include beans. If you have a 150 year old recipe that has been passed down through the generations that includes beans that's awesome and sounds like a bowl of chili that I would love to try, but that doesn't represent all of Texas. In the modern world texas style chili is well defined. In short, chili can absolutely have beans, to be considered texas style it cannot. Put whatever you want in your chili if you enjoy it. At the end of the day that's all that matters.

LOL even in your rebuttal you don't close the door. a bunch a chest thumpers saying it cant have beans means nothing to me and I will keep on passing on that belief up

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: AMF] #7762798 03/04/20 04:11 PM
A
AMF Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
A
Shots fired! There it is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide