Page 1 of 2 1 2
My Experience With Intermittent Fasting #7753220 02/22/20 04:02 AM
B
BayouGuy Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
B
Kudos to Dr. Jason Fung. If you haven't viewed his videos on YouTube you should take a look.

I'm 5'10". Started intermittent fasting at 267 lbs. Today I'm at 190 and heading to 180.

My weekly program:

Saturday & Sunday: Eat anything you want, but no eating after 9 p.m.
Monday, Wednesday & Friday: Very low carb meals for breakfast/lunch/supper. No snacks between meals. No eating after supper.
Tuesday & Thursday: Total FAST. Water, coffee or tea only. No sugar, cream or artificial sweetener.
(Tuesday & Thursday Variation: Total Fast until supper. Low carb supper. No eating after supper.)

I lose two pounds a week with the total fast on Tuesday & Thursday, and one pound a week on the T&T Variation. I feel better and have more energy than I've had in years. Went from size 46 pants to size 40 (will be in 38's with five more pounds).

Tuesday & Thursday fasting was a little difficult the first week, a bit easier in week two, and no problem at all by week three. I think my body and mind became accustomed to it by week three and it was not difficult at all after that.

If you can't laugh at yourself, give me a call. I'll gladly laugh at you.

"I keep trying to see Nancy Pelosi's and Chuck Schumer's point of view,
but I can't seem to get my head that far up my [censored]." Senator John Kennedy, Louisiana
Re: My Experience With Intermittent Fasting [Re: BayouGuy] #7753285 02/22/20 06:22 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Good job!

Re: My Experience With Intermittent Fasting [Re: BayouGuy] #7753291 02/22/20 08:58 AM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Fasting works no doubt and seems as if it a great way to loose weight and also has lot of health benefits, One reason you don't hear a lot bout it because no company can't sell it to you and make money.

I can see how fasting and doing the low carb you achieved your results, Good Job.

Re: My Experience With Intermittent Fasting [Re: RedRanger] #7753292 02/22/20 09:37 AM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
That's awesome BG...................eating/eating bad is just another habit. You figured it out. Congrats.

Re: My Experience With Intermittent Fasting [Re: BayouGuy] #7761399 03/02/20 10:55 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Would be interesting to see how your body composition has changed in muscle vs. fat

I’m not completely sold on intermit fasting as you are basically doing weekly crash diets. Can’t see how it’s any different than just a total reduction in calories.

Are you doing anything else other than just doing the diet? Any excercising, strength building, etc.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: My Experience With Intermittent Fasting [Re: BayouGuy] #7761609 03/03/20 03:41 AM
B
BayouGuy Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
B
txtrophy, the difference between intermittent fasting and total calorie reduction is that fasting does not slow your metabolism, whereas the traditional calorie reduction does. The result is that weight lost through fasting "sticks" but weight lost by calorie reduction just about always returns.

My cardiologist recommended I read Dr. Fung's book The Obesity Code, and get on an intermittent fasting program. The book is good, but his videos are easier to take and to understand. I've recommended intermittent fasting to a half dozen friends, all of whom have had great success with it (after years of "yo-yo" weight loss followed by weight gain with calorie reduction diets).

You really should take a look at Fung's videos to understand the fasting vs. calorie reduction thing.

Here are links to the better YouTube videos by Dr. Fung.

"Therapeutic Fasting - Solving the Two-Compartment Problem" by Dr. Jason Fung (36 minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIuj-oMN-Fk&t=24s

"The Calorie Deception" by Dr. Jason Fung (37 minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5o0a4p_3U&t=1884s

And here's a good one by Dr. Berg, especially the last half.

“How to Fix a Slow Metabolism” by Dr. Eric Berg (24 minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt1DOJXAXF

but I can't seem to get my head that far up my [censored]." Senator John Kennedy, Louisiana
Re: My Experience With Intermittent Fasting [Re: BayouGuy] #7761814 03/03/20 03:00 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
So do you just do intermittent fasting the rest of your life?

Do you factor in exercise or a strength training program in this?

If a person adjusts his caloric intake and is burning less or as much as he is consuming and doesent have a overage he/she would maintain their weight.

Weight gain comes from a overage off of calories vs. what is being burned

It’s Awesome people are finding a program that works for them I just wonder how sustainable long term fasting will be

Re: My Experience With Intermittent Fasting [Re: txtrophy85] #7761890 03/03/20 04:31 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

Incorrect and old school thought

Do some research

Re: My Experience With Intermittent Fasting [Re: BayouGuy] #7761987 03/03/20 06:17 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
That's interesting intermittent fasting. Most IT fasting is done in an 18/6 hour window each day.
I've listened toa podcast of where doing a 3 day fast is amazing for the body. I just feel like most of those people that do it din't have labor intensive jobs, and not sure if that skews things or not.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: My Experience With Intermittent Fasting [Re: RedRanger] #7762394 03/04/20 02:41 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by RedRanger

Do some research

Really?

Well pray tell how do you figure that it’s incorrect?

I can say from personal experience that when I reduce activity and increase calories I gain weight.

When I increase activity and decrease calories I lose weight

And some guy making a YouTube video in his dining room isn’t “research “

Re: My Experience With Intermittent Fasting [Re: txtrophy85] #7762565 03/04/20 12:40 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by RedRanger

Do some research

Really?

Well pray tell how do you figure that it’s incorrect?

I can say from personal experience that when I reduce activity and increase calories I gain weight.

When I increase activity and decrease calories I lose weight

And some guy making a YouTube video in his dining room isn’t “research “

It more about what you eat vs calories you eat.

There are tons of research on fasting and ketosis on the net and YouTube. If you take some time to do some research it may open your eyes, It did for me.

Re: My Experience With Intermittent Fasting [Re: BayouGuy] #7762720 03/04/20 03:09 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
This whole intermittent fasting thing makes sense to me. I have known the carbs vs. fats thing for a long time. Back when the Adkins diet came about, I lost a ton of weight using that program along with running. It worked and made sense to me. Your body burns carbs first, then it burns fat. Take out all the carbs, and it will force your body to burn fat for energy. Made sense to me at the time, and it worked. I went from 240 at my highest to 189 at my lowest. Over the last 20 years, I have made my way back up to 235. Time to get serious about losing weight again. The intermittent fasting makes as much if not more sense than the ultra low carb diet. My wife and I started this last week. up

Re: My Experience With Intermittent Fasting [Re: unclebubba] #7762782 03/04/20 03:59 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by unclebubba
This whole intermittent fasting thing makes sense to me. I have known the carbs vs. fats thing for a long time. Back when the Adkins diet came about, I lost a ton of weight using that program along with running. It worked and made sense to me. Your body burns carbs first, then it burns fat. Take out all the carbs, and it will force your body to burn fat for energy. Made sense to me at the time, and it worked. I went from 240 at my highest to 189 at my lowest. Over the last 20 years, I have made my way back up to 235. Time to get serious about losing weight again. The intermittent fasting makes as much if not more sense than the ultra low carb diet. My wife and I started this last week. up

Do a combo of Keto Diet (Low Carb) and fasting and weight will melt off.

Re: My Experience With Intermittent Fasting [Re: KWood_TSU] #7764510 03/06/20 06:52 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
That's interesting intermittent fasting. Most IT fasting is done in an 18/6 hour window each day.
I've listened toa podcast of where doing a 3 day fast is amazing for the body. I just feel like most of those people that do it din't have labor intensive jobs, and not sure if that skews things or not.

I have a labor intensive job, and it’s no big deal to go a few days without food.

That’s for me, anyway.

Re: My Experience With Intermittent Fasting [Re: Sneaky] #7764511 03/06/20 07:22 AM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Sneaky

I have a labor intensive job, and it’s no big deal to go a few days without food.

That’s for me, anyway.

Same here, fasting is much easier if you are busy especially with work.

Re: My Experience With Intermittent Fasting [Re: BayouGuy] #7764664 03/06/20 02:45 PM
G
goosebuster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
I have been doing fasting for several months now, and I feel like I have a lot less bloat. It was easy for me to do, I am not a big breakfast eater. It was hard for me to stop eating at 7:30 in the evening, but I got used to it. I typically fast Sunday-Friday. I allow myself breakfast on the weekends because I like to eat with my son. I also work out and run 1.5-2 miles 4x a week. Life is good.

Re: My Experience With Intermittent Fasting [Re: BayouGuy] #7764675 03/06/20 03:05 PM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
I do the fasting where I eat only from 12PM to whenever I have supper. I eat anything I want during that time frame. I lost 20 or so pounds and then stabilized. The great thing about intermittent fasting is you don't feel like you are dieting and you can keep on it for the rest of your life, unlike diets.

Re: My Experience With Intermittent Fasting [Re: BayouGuy] #7764715 03/06/20 03:44 PM
K
kdub Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Seems like this would not work for anyone who works out. I need food to get through a workout and can tell the difference when on a deficit. Why not just watch your calories and exercise??

Re: My Experience With Intermittent Fasting [Re: kdub] #7764792 03/06/20 05:07 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by kdub
Seems like this would not work for anyone who works out. I need food to get through a workout and can tell the difference when on a deficit. Why not just watch your calories and exercise??

That obviously works too, but sometimes you need to shock the body to make it do something different. A lot of people will plateau, so they have to change it up a bit.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: My Experience With Intermittent Fasting [Re: KWood_TSU] #7764808 03/06/20 05:17 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

That obviously works too, but sometimes you need to shock the body to make it do something different. A lot of people will plateau, so they have to change it up a bit.

up

Re: My Experience With Intermittent Fasting [Re: kdub] #7764814 03/06/20 05:23 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

I do a heavy keto diet last two months, with very little carb from green leaf veggies. I work out every Monday thru Friday from 4am till 5:45am, skip breakfast during the week. I will eat from Noon until 6pm. On the weekends I eat 3 meals per day and don't hit the gym.

Dropped 30 lbs in 7 weeks and feeling great, Cutting sugar from my diet was something I wish I would done years ago.

I went to doctor few months ago he told me I was borderline diabetic, went back last week and said my blood sugar was good.

I have read about many people who have gotten off all types of medications from Fasting and or Keto Diets, many reports of people no longer needing to take meds for High bloood pressure, Diabetes and other diseases.

Re: My Experience With Intermittent Fasting [Re: BayouGuy] #7768384 03/11/20 03:13 PM
B
BayouGuy Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
B
After the third week on my intermittent fasting program I was able to quit both blood pressure and cholesterol meds.

Re: My Experience With Intermittent Fasting [Re: BayouGuy] #7768389 03/11/20 03:16 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by BayouGuy
After the third week on my intermittent fasting program I was able to quit both blood pressure and cholesterol meds.

That's great up

Re: My Experience With Intermittent Fasting [Re: BayouGuy] #7771869 03/14/20 03:18 PM
R
rcjoutdoors Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
Congrats on the weight loss and lifestyle change

80% off of SA Face Shields
Coupon Code: RCFM80
Re: My Experience With Intermittent Fasting [Re: BayouGuy] #7775055 03/17/20 04:44 PM
M
MikeU Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
It worked great for me too. Good for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide