Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bulk 223/5.56 is it worth it to reload? #7758439 02/28/20 02:26 AM
M
mreed Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
M
Is it worth it to reload 223/5.56 for plinking and messing around or do you think it’s more cost and time efficient to find good deals on bulk ammo? What would a real cost per round be to reload 223/5.56 in bulk with 55gr FMJ? The best I could come up with on a quick Midway component search would be around $0.19 per round to reload +\- 2500 at a time compared to +\- $0.27 per round for bulk ammo on sale. Are the hours spent with a basic single stage press worth that $0.08 per round? Or are my figures wrong and the savings are way better?

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid."
Re: Bulk 223/5.56 is it worth it to reload? [Re: mreed] #7758453 02/28/20 02:35 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Typically, it is not super cost effective to hand load .223 versus buying it. (Same for 9mm) If, big IF, you have a large supply of free brass it gets a bit better on the money.

The main reason to handload .223 is to get BETTER ammo, not necessarily less expensive ammo.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Bulk 223/5.56 is it worth it to reload? [Re: mreed] #7758485 02/28/20 03:24 AM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Yup! What Fireman said. I reload 223 mainly to use a specific bullet (or three). And I reload 9mm too, having a bazillion cases, a pile of powder, and bulk plated bullets. Might be smarter to buy the 9mm, but I have all the reloading stuff already.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Bulk 223/5.56 is it worth it to reload? [Re: J.G.] #7758524 02/28/20 05:23 AM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by FiremanJG

The main reason to handload .223 is to get BETTER ammo, not necessarily less expensive ammo.

Isn't this true for most ammo? Once you factor components, plus time spent, It's really more expensive for me to load for anything. I do it to get better ammo.

Re: Bulk 223/5.56 is it worth it to reload? [Re: mreed] #7758568 02/28/20 12:08 PM
T
Teal28 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Yes it is but not on a single stage press. Components for 556 are everywhere and can be had for cheap and without tax and shipping if you shop the forums. 0.8 cents per round is a good number if you by new and or online. Buy off the forums and that can be cut in half. Chad has good 556 powder for sale right now for $5 per pound.
I seen 55gr FMJ in a lot of 1000 the other day for a hundred bucks. primers bought in big lots can be had for $2.25-$1.75 per hundred. 556 brass is almost given away. buck a pound or less.
9mm and 380 prices are about the same.

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...-s-smokeless-powder-for-sale#Post7755928

Re: Bulk 223/5.56 is it worth it to reload? [Re: unclebubba] #7758658 02/28/20 02:00 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by unclebubba

Isn't this true for most ammo? Once you factor components, plus time spent, It's really more expensive for me to load for anything. I do it to get better ammo.

Not it is not true for most ammo, far from it. Do the math, and add up component cost, and find price per round you have in it. Then go look at the most expensive factory ammo, figure out cost per round and know yours is still higher quality.

I said .223 and 9mm are the only two and I stand by that.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Bulk 223/5.56 is it worth it to reload? [Re: mreed] #7758688 02/28/20 02:48 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I’ve given up on loading 55 grain .223 and nearly given up on 9mm.

For general knock around stuff I don’t mind shooting steel case, and when comparing cost of Tula or Wolf to my handloads the cost is nearly identical. Yes, my loads are more accurate, but by the time I deal with all the brass prep I’ll give up some accuracy.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Bulk 223/5.56 is it worth it to reload? [Re: mreed] #7758696 02/28/20 02:53 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I should also add that I am loading on a Dillon 550.

Re: Bulk 223/5.56 is it worth it to reload? [Re: unclebubba] #7758699 02/28/20 02:59 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K

You can literally do the math and it aint that hard. the difficulty isn't the math. It's quantifying, in actual dollars, your "plus time spent." Meaning, if i were fortunate enough to be so desired professionally that I can literally at any hour pick up the phone and work for $50/hr (or whatever number you choose). then it's easy to quantify "time spent" as hrs x rate. Easy. Now take, a salaraied person for 15yrs. Yea my extra may advance my career by my company sure aint paying me for it.
I work for a large contruction contractor so there are ways to indiscriminately quantity manhours into the ultimate goal, dollars cost.

Even to a certain extent I can disagree with Fireman. Again, depending on how much I assign dollars to "time spent" can be substituted for custom relaoding services. Fireman, I believe you might know a guy. It ain't worth Jeff Besos's time when he can just pay a Chad to get far superior results.

This principle can be applied to commercially available ammo vs hand loading. Not to even mention how to factor in the equipment cost, or capital expenditure. I did this whole exercise and compared it the cost of the 175 Federal FGM and the Black Hills 168 smk. If i remember correctly, it was something like if I shot roughly 3-4k rounds would recover all costs vs the Federal and about 6-7k for the Black Hills. BUT i did zero labor cost, meaning "time spent" = $0. If I had to guess even at minimum wage for my time, then I think those round counts would drop fast.
I was really evaluating whether I want to get into this thing or not and i had to know the complete cost estimation.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: Bulk 223/5.56 is it worth it to reload? [Re: unclebubba] #7758704 02/28/20 03:04 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

I agree with Fireman. ( I still load my 223 and 9mm though because I enjoy it)

I shoot 150 Nosler partitons in my 270. I shot federals loading before i started rolling my own. Federals are $47 a box or $2.35/ round. I can hand load them for $1.65/round or a little less without bulk buying. Second loading drops to near $1/round because of recycling brass.

Mine also shoot better with my load than the federals did.

Last edited by redchevy; 02/28/20 03:05 PM.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Bulk 223/5.56 is it worth it to reload? [Re: Teal28] #7758705 02/28/20 03:04 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by Teal28
Yes it is but not on a single stage press.

Amen!! There are 2 things that I hate doing. 1- pulling bullets and 2- loading 223 on a single stage press! Argh! bang

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Bulk 223/5.56 is it worth it to reload? [Re: mreed] #7758806 02/28/20 04:57 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
reload for best accuracy

cheap bulk for mag dumps and jackin around

Re: Bulk 223/5.56 is it worth it to reload? [Re: mreed] #7758841 02/28/20 05:33 PM
M
mreed Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
M
What I’m picking up here is that it’s best to stick with shooting the best priced brass cased bulk ammo I can find for farting around the lease and try to save the brass for reloading quality hunting ammo

Last edited by mreed; 02/28/20 05:39 PM.

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid."
Re: Bulk 223/5.56 is it worth it to reload? [Re: Korean Redneck] #7758863 02/28/20 06:21 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by Korean Redneck

You can literally do the math and it aint that hard. the difficulty isn't the math. It's quantifying, in actual dollars, your "plus time spent." Meaning, if i were fortunate enough to be so desired professionally that I can literally at any hour pick up the phone and work for $50/hr (or whatever number you choose). then it's easy to quantify "time spent" as hrs x rate. Easy. Now take, a salaraied person for 15yrs. Yea my extra may advance my career by my company sure aint paying me for it.
I work for a large contruction contractor so there are ways to indiscriminately quantity manhours into the ultimate goal, dollars cost.

Even to a certain extent I can disagree with Fireman. Again, depending on how much I assign dollars to "time spent" can be substituted for custom relaoding services. Fireman, I believe you might know a guy. It ain't worth Jeff Besos's time when he can just pay a Chad to get far superior results.

This principle can be applied to commercially available ammo vs hand loading. Not to even mention how to factor in the equipment cost, or capital expenditure. I did this whole exercise and compared it the cost of the 175 Federal FGM and the Black Hills 168 smk. If i remember correctly, it was something like if I shot roughly 3-4k rounds would recover all costs vs the Federal and about 6-7k for the Black Hills. BUT i did zero labor cost, meaning "time spent" = $0. If I had to guess even at minimum wage for my time, then I think those round counts would drop fast.
I was really evaluating whether I want to get into this thing or not and i had to know the complete cost estimation.

OK, so, I do work from home, and I work for myself, so I really do choose the hours that I work, and how many hours I work. I can see how my time spent would be quantified differently than someone else's. As I truly can quantify time spent in a dollar amount, for me, it IS cheaper to buy commercial for almost any ammo.

Re: Bulk 223/5.56 is it worth it to reload? [Re: mreed] #7758881 02/28/20 06:53 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I, unlike unclebubba, don’t work at all (says my wife), since I’m retired. I shoot a lot, from time to time, and I like accuracy. That drove me to reloading. I started small and have probably overdone it by now, but I do enjoy shooting my own loads - particularly rifle loads. As for pistols, I guess I started because I had all the gear, and a 357 mag. Been a while since I did the math on pistol, but I think my reloads with plated bullets run about 13 to 15 cents. Naturally, my time is free and I have all the expensive gear that I’ve had for decades. That said, I am not reloading 380. I’m buying it and hoping the wife stays quiet on that issue.

One thing to mention about reloading is that for each individual rifle I have a chosen bullet, powder, brass, primer, and adjusted dies. I know where it shoots each and every time. No guessing about how a new lot of ammo is going to shoot. No guesswork involved now. I don’t want to give that up.

The grandson is coming from DFW this afternoon to hopefully shoot a hog. I got his 308 out of the safe and walked over to my bench. Snugged the rifle into the Bulls Bag and drilled the 5/8” circular target dot at 100. And to use an old golf term, it was dead solid perfect. No guesswork. And I don’t have to shoot another 5 rounds to know it’s right.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Bulk 223/5.56 is it worth it to reload? [Re: unclebubba] #7758888 02/28/20 06:58 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

OK, so, I do work from home, and I work for myself, so I really do choose the hours that I work, and how many hours I work. I can see how my time spent would be quantified differently than someone else's. As I truly can quantify time spent in a dollar amount, for me, it IS cheaper to buy commercial for almost any ammo.

Maybe. Even though you could work all the time would you?

I work on commission, in my business its called fee split typically. I get here at 7 and could stay till 10 every day but I don't and I wont. Just because you get to make your own schedule doesn't make a difference to me. Unless your going to be productively working when you would reload its the same as anyone else.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Bulk 223/5.56 is it worth it to reload? [Re: unclebubba] #7758920 02/28/20 07:18 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G

Yes. I agree with you too. All my life I heard, "save your brass, reload, save money." Reloading has cost me more than if I had never got into but the quality of ammo I demand nowadays can't be bought OTC.

Re: Bulk 223/5.56 is it worth it to reload? [Re: garyrapp55] #7758921 02/28/20 07:19 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted by garyrapp55

Yes. I agree with you too. All my life I heard, "save your brass, reload, save money." Reloading has cost me more than if I had never got into but the quality of ammo I demand nowadays can't be bought OTC.

I keep saving all my 556/223 brass but may never load a single round of it. My time is too valuable.

Re: Bulk 223/5.56 is it worth it to reload? [Re: unclebubba] #7758933 02/28/20 07:33 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

I've got a side business you're aware of, as well as 70 acres and a range to maintain you're aware of. For me, loading my own ammo is just like stopping at the fuel station for diesel. If I want to drive, I need fuel. If I want to shoot, I need ammo. And mass produced ammo does not meet my standards. Having all the equipment and knowledge I do, I can't justify hiring someone else to do it. Same as I couldn't justify hiring a welding crew to fram my house. It's another thing I know how to do and have the equipment for.

Now, if I could jist get a high school kid to take care of this land and range for me...

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Bulk 223/5.56 is it worth it to reload? [Re: redchevy] #7758936 02/28/20 07:35 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by redchevy

Maybe. Even though you could work all the time would you?

No, but During my busy season, Spring and Summer, I do work a $#%^ ton of hours. Often 7am to 7 pm, and on Saturdays too. So when I am not working, there may be other things that I would rather do than re-load...like shoot. I can not disagree that just the total cost for components, most ammo is cheaper to re-load and you get a better product to boot. However, things change once you factor in the cost of personal time spent. That factor would be different for every single person.

Re: Bulk 223/5.56 is it worth it to reload? [Re: J.G.] #7759035 02/28/20 09:16 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Now, if I could jist get a high school kid to take care of this land and range for me...

Zane doesn't want it? He's at that age when ya have way more energy than money. Those girls his age ought to be enough to make him want some change in his pocket. I'm sure you trust him using your equipment more than any other kid that age.

Re: Bulk 223/5.56 is it worth it to reload? [Re: Teal28] #7759065 02/28/20 09:47 PM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Teal28
Yes it is but not on a single stage press. Components for 556 are everywhere and can be had for cheap and without tax and shipping if you shop the forums. 0.8 cents per round is a good number if you by new and or online. Buy off the forums and that can be cut in half. Chad has good 556 powder for sale right now for $5 per pound.
I seen 55gr FMJ in a lot of 1000 the other day for a hundred bucks. primers bought in big lots can be had for $2.25-$1.75 per hundred. 556 brass is almost given away. buck a pound or less.
9mm and 380 prices are about the same.

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...-s-smokeless-powder-for-sale#Post7755928

I have ran the numbers on seeing how cheap I could load 223 and 9mm a few times and I have not been able to get much lower than .15-.17 cents per round for .223 with decent bullets. You say 55FMJ's for .10 cents apiece..... so how do you get .08 per round for loaded ammo? I bought Hornady 55gr SP for 75.00 per 1000 to get me to that .15 per round with 15.00 per pound powder and lowering that to 5.00 a pound I still on can get down to .12 per round.
You can load 9mm for 10-.11cents per round but I don't see how you can get too much cheaper unless you make your own bullets from lead that's free.

Handloading ammo is my hobby so while I do it with saving some money in mind its more about enjoying the opportunity of working with different cartridges and bullet/powder combo's and seeing what performance can be achieved even if it's only plinking around stuff.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Bulk 223/5.56 is it worth it to reload? [Re: mreed] #7759113 02/28/20 10:35 PM
pertnear Online Content
"Demolition Man"
Online Content
"Demolition Man"
I load 5.56 ammo for under $.08 a round by using range brass & by making my own bullets from .22 RF cases. The RF's are also range pick-up. I bought powder from "pulls" for $15/lb. Swaging bullets is a hobby that feeds my handloading hobby. I like to handload as a hobby & that feeds my shooting hobby.

Is this labor intensive? Yes, but during the winter & hunting season is over I'll crank out a few thousand bullets or load a bucket of 556 - as a hobby. BTW: all is not a bargain as the dies & such to swage are expensive, but then again the equipment seems to appreciate & not depreciate.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.” - George Orwell
Re: Bulk 223/5.56 is it worth it to reload? [Re: DStroud] #7759116 02/28/20 10:39 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
nm

Last edited by QuitShootinYoungBucks; 02/28/20 10:40 PM.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Bulk 223/5.56 is it worth it to reload? [Re: pertnear] #7759301 02/29/20 01:41 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by pertnear
I load 5.56 ammo for under $.08 a round by using range brass & by making my own bullets from .22 RF cases. The RF's are also range pick-up. I bought powder from "pulls" for $15/lb. Swaging bullets is a hobby that feeds my handloading hobby. I like to handload as a hobby & that feeds my shooting hobby.

Is this labor intensive? Yes, but during the winter & hunting season is over I'll crank out a few thousand bullets or load a bucket of 556 - as a hobby. BTW: all is not a bargain as the dies & such to swage are expensive, but then again the equipment seems to appreciate & not depreciate.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

I’ve casted a metric ton of bullets but never have done the swaging thing.

What do you use for the cores? How consistent are the weights? What kind of accuracy are you getting?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide