THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by mikei
A few more pics with a bit better lighting:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

interesting , Anyone know if these were for hunting man or animal? Is there a difference?

[Linked Image]
Re: Native American "bullets" [Re: mikei] #7756548 02/26/20 12:50 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Was there anybody else around while you were doing this?

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Native American "bullets" [Re: HWY_MAN] #7756627 02/26/20 02:02 AM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by HWY_MAN

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I don't understand your question. I was working, shoveling dirt back into the trench that the DitchWitch had made for our irrigation system repairs. There were people on all 3 of the fairways that we were working on, but each of us had one trench to refill. So, yes, there were other people around, but we were all working our assigned trenches by ourselves. Is that what you mean?

Re: Native American "bullets" [Re: HWY_MAN] #7756710 02/26/20 03:42 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Or do you have a crazy uncle?

Re: Native American "bullets" [Re: mikei] #7756793 02/26/20 12:57 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I don't understand your question. I was working, shoveling dirt back into the trench that the DitchWitch had made for our irrigation system repairs. There were people on all 3 of the fairways that we were working on, but each of us had one trench to refill. So, yes, there were other people around, but we were all working our assigned trenches by ourselves. Is that what you mean?

What I'm trying to say and not doing a very good job of is someone may be having a little fun with you. Earlier I made mention of the material being agate a not very common material in Texas. That particular material looks like the agate that comes from India and shipped by the thousands to the US daily in the form of fake arrowheads. Try googling fake arrowheads from India.Agate and Jasper seem to be the more common materials. They don't have the common cherts like we do. I'm also seeing what looks like fresh fracture marks on the bigger piece leaving tiny flakes on the edge. On original pieces these small flakes will have popped of due to time, conditions and moisture. I hope I'm wrong, that would be a heck of a find.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Native American "bullets" [Re: Tin Head] #7756830 02/26/20 01:40 PM
10pointers Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Tin Head

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

interesting , Anyone know if these were for hunting man or animal? Is there a difference?

It's a assumption that barbed stem were for hunting animal and straight stem were war points
The idea is that the straight stemmed point would fall off the shaft dislodged in the enemy body. Also the points were hafted vertical for game animals and horizontal for war points. The same theory goes here that it was the purpose of the point to slip in between the ribcage of said target.

Signature images may not be larger than 600 pixels wide by 125 pixels tall. That smile says it all
[North Dakota -16degrees

"Things may come to those who wait, but only those things left by those who hustle."
- Abraham Lincoln
Re: Native American "bullets" [Re: HWY_MAN] #7756891 02/26/20 02:39 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

What I'm trying to say and not doing a very good job of is someone may be having a little fun with you. Earlier I made mention of the material being agate a not very common material in Texas. That particular material looks like the agate that comes from India and shipped by the thousands to the US daily in the form of fake arrowheads. Try googling fake arrowheads from India.Agate and Jasper seem to be the more common materials. They don't have the common cherts like we do. I'm also seeing what looks like fresh fracture marks on the bigger piece leaving tiny flakes on the edge. On original pieces these small flakes will have popped of due to time, conditions and moisture. I hope I'm wrong, that would be a heck of a find.

OK, so you're thinking maybe somebody "seeded" the trench leavings with the points that were not authentic Native American. I guess that's possible, but I can't imagine any of our group of volunteers doing such a thing, since none of them (us!) know anything about arrowheads and are certainly not collectors. Since the site is about 100 yards from the rodeo arena, and we have hundreds of people, a couple of times a year, visit us to watch and participate in the 2 rodeos we have each year, one of these people might have lost or placed them out in the fairway. A bit of a stretch, but who knows.? They were still a "find" for me and I get a kick out seeing them sitting on my computer desk. If they came from India, they could have been made by one of the "help desk" techs I talk to on a regular basis!

Re: Native American "bullets" [Re: 10pointers] #7757086 02/26/20 06:43 PM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by 10pointers

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It's a assumption that barbed stem were for hunting animal and straight stem were war points
The idea is that the straight stemmed point would fall off the shaft dislodged in the enemy body. Also the points were hafted vertical for game animals and horizontal for war points. The same theory goes here that it was the purpose of the point to slip in between the ribcage of said target.

wow , them cats were genius. Now I know . Thanks for the info.

[Linked Image]
Re: Native American "bullets" [Re: 10pointers] #7757380 02/27/20 12:43 AM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by 10pointers

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thanks for the information! I had no idea that there was any more "science" to the making of the various points than to get them to take down the game they were after or "stop the threat."

Last edited by mikei; 02/27/20 02:03 AM.
Re: Native American "bullets" [Re: mikei] #7757413 02/27/20 01:22 AM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I wonder if it was some ceremonial area or a burial spot.

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide