Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Sweet potatoes in the microwave #7756383 02/25/20 10:12 PM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Have a couple left over from Christmas. They still look great. Looked on google and found that they can be cooked just like regular potatoes. Thinking of trying one with my next Popeyes chicken dinner. Thoughts?

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Sweet potatoes in the microwave [Re: bill oxner] #7756411 02/25/20 10:48 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Mom would peel sweet taters, slice them into 1/4” rounds and dry cook them in cast iron on the stove. They turn brown and toasty and puff up. She’d serve them with cream gravy ladled over.

I still get cravings for that.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Sweet potatoes in the microwave [Re: bill oxner] #7756453 02/25/20 11:15 PM
B
BayouGuy Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Sweet potatoes cook just fine in a microwave.

Here's the trick for fantastic microwave sweet potatoes. Tightly wrap each potato in a double or triple layer of plastic wrap. Set the power at a the low end of the range and cook until the potato is very soft when poked with your finger. This slightly longer cooking time allows the sugars in the potato to develop to their maximum and yields a soft, moist and sweet goodie.

If you can't laugh at yourself, give me a call. I'll gladly laugh at you.

"I keep trying to see Nancy Pelosi's and Chuck Schumer's point of view,
but I can't seem to get my head that far up my [censored]." Senator John Kennedy, Louisiana
Re: Sweet potatoes in the microwave [Re: bill oxner] #7756469 02/25/20 11:31 PM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
We grew them in the fall when I was growing up. They would keep all through the winter. My momma would put them in the oven of a wood burning stove. They were warm when we got home from school. We peeled the top, punched it up, added butter, and ate them like ice-cream. I'll be back Friday with pictures.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Sweet potatoes in the microwave [Re: Cast] #7756518 02/26/20 12:10 AM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Cast
Mom would peel sweet taters, slice them into 1/4” rounds and dry cook them in cast iron on the stove. They turn brown and toasty and puff up. She’d serve them with cream gravy ladled over.

I still get cravings for that.

Sounds like your mom was a good cook!

texas flag

Re: Sweet potatoes in the microwave [Re: bill oxner] #7756853 02/26/20 02:05 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
one of the few things I never acquired the taste for, usually just too sweet for my liking. My mom would peel and cut in about 1/2-3/4 inch thick slices, put on a aluminum foil lined baking sheet, put a glob of butter on each slice and into the oven. They would caramelize on the outside ... I might eat as a dessert but not part of the main meal. Still not my preference.

My wife makes a sweet potato dish in the oven out of mashed sweet potatoes and puts the mini marshmallows on top ... most people get after it, not for me though.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Sweet potatoes in the microwave [Re: bill oxner] #7756965 02/26/20 03:54 PM
B
BayouGuy Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
PMK, try smashing up a microwaved sweet potato with a little butter, salt and cayenne pepper. Dat's good stuff PaPa.

If you can't laugh at yourself, give me a call. I'll gladly laugh at you.

"I keep trying to see Nancy Pelosi's and Chuck Schumer's point of view,
but I can't seem to get my head that far up my [censored]." Senator John Kennedy, Louisiana
Re: Sweet potatoes in the microwave [Re: BayouGuy] #7756998 02/26/20 04:27 PM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by BayouGuy
PMK, try smashing up a microwaved sweet potato with a little butter, salt and cayenne pepper. Dat's good stuff PaPa.

Thanks a bunch for your reply. Cayenne is a favorite in my kitchen. Plan to try it.

[Linked Image]

Re: Sweet potatoes in the microwave [Re: BayouGuy] #7757006 02/26/20 04:34 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P

I am not overly fond of sweet things, including sweet potatoes ... even going back to my mom's pretty plain recipe ... just too sweet

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Sweet potatoes in the microwave [Re: BayouGuy] #7757070 02/26/20 06:32 PM
O
Old Rabbit Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Sweet potatoes cook just fine in a microwave.

Here's the trick for fantastic microwave sweet potatoes. Tightly wrap each potato in a double or triple layer of plastic wrap. Set the power at a the low end of the range and cook until the potato is very soft when poked with your finger. This slightly longer cooking time allows the sugars in the potato to develop to their maximum and yields a soft, moist and sweet goodie.

I am going to give this a try. I have a potato microwave bag that I use for regular potatoes and sweet potatoes now. Love them both.

Re: Sweet potatoes in the microwave [Re: bill oxner] #7757218 02/26/20 09:38 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Maple syrup roasted baked sweet potatoes. I tolerated sweet potatoes for decades, just something some people had to have at Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. Then I was forced to eat maple syrup roasted baked sweet potatoes, that changed my opinion of sweet potatoes. And they also make a good dessert.

How To Roast Sweet Potatoes

Peel and cut the sweet potato pieces about the same size so they bake evenly.
Set the oven temperature to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. It is important that the temperature is high enough so you get a creamy tender center while having golden brown edges.

Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper for easy clean up.

Toss the sweet potatoes with oil and seasonings. In this particular Maple Oven Roasted Sweet Potato recipe I use maple syrup, brown sugar and cinnamon but you can pretty much use any spice/seasoning you want. Honey, thyme and cayenne are some of my favorite options.

Spread the sweet potatoes on the baking sheet in a single layer for even cooking.
Bake, turning once for about 30 to 40 minutes or until tender.

Ingredients
2 large sweet potatoes
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt to taste

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy clean up.
Rinse, peel and cut the sweet potatoes into 3/4 inch cubes.
In a small bowl, mix the maple syrup, brown sugar, cinnamon and olive oil.
Spread the sweet potatoes in a single layer on the baking sheet and pour the maple syrup mixture over them. Season lightly with salt and toss to coat.
Roast in the oven, for 30 to 40 minutes or until tender and the edges are lightly brown, turning them with a spatula once during the cooking process.
Remove from the oven and season with salt to taste. Serve warm.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Sweet potatoes in the microwave [Re: dogcatcher] #7757222 02/26/20 09:42 PM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Maple syrup roasted baked sweet potatoes. I tolerated sweet potatoes for decades, just something some people had to have at Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. Then I was forced to eat maple syrup roasted baked sweet potatoes, that changed my opinion of sweet potatoes. And they also make a good dessert.

Set the oven temperature to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. It is important that the temperature is high enough so you get a creamy tender center while having golden brown edges.

Toss the sweet potatoes with oil and seasonings. In this particular Maple Oven Roasted Sweet Potato recipe I use maple syrup, brown sugar and cinnamon but you can pretty much use any spice/seasoning you want. Honey, thyme and cayenne are some of my favorite options.

Spread the sweet potatoes on the baking sheet in a single layer for even cooking.

Ingredients
2 large sweet potatoes
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt to taste

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy clean up.
Spread the sweet potatoes in a single layer on the baking sheet and pour the maple syrup mixture over them. Season lightly with salt and toss to coat.
Roast in the oven, for 30 to 40 minutes or until tender and the edges are lightly brown, turning them with a spatula once during the cooking process.

This is what mine are leftover from. HEB has them on sale every year for 15¢ per pound.

[Linked Image]

Re: Sweet potatoes in the microwave [Re: dogcatcher] #7757278 02/26/20 10:51 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by dogcatcher

Ingredients
2 large sweet potatoes
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt to taste

Instructions

Hey DC, if you wanna rock this recipe, add a good splash of whiskey to the bowl before you pour it over the taters. Whiskey and sweet taters have a love affair going. Rock your sweet tater pie recipe too!

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide