T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
Jeez. Sports teaches kids to beat people by out preparing and out working the competition. That will work their whole life. Then there is also the athletes are the ones that get the hot chicks.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
cheers

You want to get hot chicks learn how to play a guitar.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Kids and athletics [Re: txtrophy85] #7755983 02/25/20 03:22 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Jeez. Sports teaches kids to beat people by out preparing and out working the competition. That will work their whole life. Then there is also the athletes are the ones that get the hot chicks.

cheers

Want to get hot chicks be good looking, or have game.

Re: Kids and athletics [Re: S.A. hunter] #7756000 02/25/20 03:37 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter

cheers

Want to get hot chicks be good looking, or have game.

Ultimately this is the absolute truth, This is the formula I subscribed to and it’s worked out well for me so far.

Re: Kids and athletics [Re: Texas Dan] #7756009 02/25/20 03:46 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Lol, yeah my buddy plays guitar and he tries to feed me the guitar BS. I always respond, oh you need a guitar to get action, wow that's rough.....

Re: Kids and athletics [Re: Texas Dan] #7756034 02/25/20 04:09 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Guitar players get more girls than trumpet players, that'a a verified fact. Still...we do alright. grin

What do you call a girl on a trombone player's arm? A tattoo!

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Kids and athletics [Re: Creekrunner] #7756035 02/25/20 04:14 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Guitar players get more girls than trumpet players, that'a a verified fact. Still...we do alright. grin

What do you call a girl on a trombone player's arm? A tattoo!

Lol

Re: Kids and athletics [Re: Texas Dan] #7756063 02/25/20 04:42 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Once a kid grows up and hits the job market it’s all about beating the others with the same occupation. Especially in economic down turns. There are winners and losers in everything. Some never learn that...

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Kids and athletics [Re: Texas Dan] #7756075 02/25/20 04:51 PM
MikeC Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
From your first breath to your last, you're competing for something even if it's just the air that you are breathing.

www.connerknives.net

In every old body lives a young person wondering what the hell happened!

[Linked Image]
Re: Kids and athletics [Re: Texas Dan] #7756148 02/25/20 06:25 PM
E
Espy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
I am grateful that my two kids were able to play sports. My son loved sports but school not so much. He was required to make the A/B honor role to play. He made sure he made the honor role.
My daughter took after me not a lick of athletic ability. She was also a shy kid. We practiced a lot and slowly got confidence and became a good athlete. They both have great jobs and have still keep in contact with a lot of their old teammates.

Re: Kids and athletics [Re: Smokey Bear] #7756189 02/25/20 07:04 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Once a kid grows up and hits the job market it’s all about beating the others with the same occupation. Especially in economic down turns. There are winners and losers in everything. Some never learn that...

Agree.

But my question is how do “team sports” make a person competitive in the job market and careers?

You win or lose by the team. You can play great and lose or play like carp and still piggyback onto a win.

Golf, swimming, running....imo these are the sports that are gonna build on these traits not the multi person team sports.

Re: Kids and athletics [Re: txtrophy85] #7756194 02/25/20 07:06 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q

Agree.

But my question is how do “team sports” make a person competitive in the job market and careers?

You win or lose by the team. You can play great and lose or play like carp and still piggyback onto a win.

Golf, swimming, running....imo these are the sports that are gonna build on these traits not the multi person team sports.

Yes, but you have to beat out your buddy if you want to be a starter. Also, once you join a corp, you're part of their team and you're trying to beat out Corp B-you also have to compete within your org for promotions.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Kids and athletics [Re: txtrophy85] #7756281 02/25/20 08:10 PM
G
gtrich94 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G

Agree.

Unless you work for yourself in a job where you don't have to interact with anyone ever, learning how to be part of a team is just as important as knowing what you are doing. You can be the smartest person in your particular field. However, if you can't work with the rest of the people in your group/team/office, you won't last long. That's where team sports or clubs or organizations help round out kids. Over the years, I've hired a couple of people that were complete studs in an area and looked like they would be the perfect fit for a specific job. They got to work, had no interpersonal skills whatsoever and did't last long because they didn't know how to work with other people. Plus it made my life harder because I had to deal with the complaints that person X came out to do a job and was a complete jerk or made them uncomfortable. Teaching people the technical aspects of a job is easy. Trying to teach an adult interpersonal skills or how to behave themselves in a group is a lot more difficult.

Last edited by gtrich94; 02/25/20 08:12 PM.

Thanks,
Rich
Re: Kids and athletics [Re: txtrophy85] #7756300 02/25/20 08:31 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

Agree.

In the job market or in sports there are always difference makers that are looked at to shoulder more of the load. Sports is the first place I saw that out preparing and out working the people around you was the path to becoming the go to guy.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Kids and athletics [Re: gtrich94] #7756344 02/25/20 09:26 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by gtrich94

Agree.

Unless you work for yourself in a job where you don't have to interact with anyone ever, learning how to be part of a team is just as important as knowing what you are doing. You can be the smartest person in your particular field. However, if you can't work with the rest of the people in your group/team/office, you won't last long. That's where team sports or clubs or organizations help round out kids. Over the years, I've hired a couple of people that were complete studs in an area and looked like they would be the perfect fit for a specific job. They got to work, had no interpersonal skills whatsoever and did't last long because they didn't know how to work with other people. Plus it made my life harder because I had to deal with the complaints that person X came out to do a job and was a complete jerk or made them uncomfortable. Teaching people the technical aspects of a job is easy. Trying to teach an adult interpersonal skills or how to behave themselves in a group is a lot more difficult.

Bingo....and I will add, being part of a team sport is much more about learning to deal with defeat even if you didn't cause it or weren't the culprit. How a person on a team deals with their team's defeat shows more about their character than just about anything else in sports, other than personal work ethic. I would rather take a bunch of people that were great in defeat and moved on from it, learned from it, and got better because of it, than a bunch of people that never lost and don't know how to deal with set backs.

One other thing I have told my kids about sports, they teach you to learn how to personally deal with authorities you don't trust, respect, or consider in good judgement. We all have coaches that for whatever reason are bad, but they are the coach and they are the authority. How we deal with that will reflect hwo we deal with co-workers and bosses that we personally don't like or respect. Learning early on how to do that might save some time and anguish by staying in a job a little longer than getting fired or quitting and being out of work.

Re: Kids and athletics [Re: Texas Dan] #7756608 02/26/20 01:39 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
I learned in college there are broke guys who win bar fights and smart rich guys who know how to build missiles that can destroy the bar and everyone in it.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 02/26/20 01:41 AM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Kids and athletics [Re: Texas Dan] #7756618 02/26/20 01:48 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
I learned in college there are broke guys who win bar fights and smart rich guys who know how to build missiles that can destroy the bar and everyone in it.

And the guy that is technically both is the guy that sold the missile builder all the parts and made a whole lot more money then the one dimensional builder/engineer ....

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Kids and athletics [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7756677 02/26/20 02:57 AM
W
Walkabout Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
W
“ But my question is how do “team sports” make a person competitive in the job market and careers?

Golf, swimming, running....imo these are the sports that are gonna build on these traits not the multi person team sports.”

If you have ever been on a highly competitive successful team, the answer is very clear and simple. THE SUM OF THE PARTS IS GREATER THAN THE WHOLE.

Last edited by Walkabout; 02/26/20 02:58 AM. Reason: Typo
Re: Kids and athletics [Re: Walkabout] #7756740 02/26/20 04:49 AM
C
cxjcherokec Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Walkabout
“ But my question is how do “team sports” make a person competitive in the job market and careers?

Golf, swimming, running....imo these are the sports that are gonna build on these traits not the multi person team sports.”

If you have ever been on a highly competitive successful team, the answer is very clear and simple. THE SUM OF THE PARTS IS GREATER THAN THE WHOLE.

This is exactly why I wrestled and so does my son. There is the team aspect of duals, but your win or loss could coat the team to win or lose. It's a sport that requires alot of discipline and mental toughness because the bottom line is that match comes down to one person, YOU. You train as a team so a good partner can help or hinder. My son places in the national tournaments and if he wants could end up with a D1 or 2 scholarship. Hes only 11 and has had offers from some of the private schools already but thats just not in the cards with our work schedules. In my opinion, team sports dont mean squat and individuals rarely stick out when there ate so many to lean on. I prefer sports like wrestling, swimming, gymnastics, track & field etc. They can make or break just how good you think you are and how bad you are willing to work to be #1.

Re: Kids and athletics [Re: Texas Dan] #7756742 02/26/20 05:01 AM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I wonder how many convicts can say they played a team sport at one time. roflmao

[Linked Image]
Re: Kids and athletics [Re: Tin Head] #7756743 02/26/20 05:06 AM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Tin Head
I wonder how many convicts can say they played a team sport at one time. roflmao

Much like wrestling, convicts typically take part in man vs man duels/matches that involve scantly clad sweaty men rolling around on the floor seeing who gets to be on top....and This is why I played football and ran track

Re: Kids and athletics [Re: Tin Head] #7756750 02/26/20 05:16 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Tin Head

Probably quite a few, look at the actions of the players in the NFL.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide