Re: Lift the tattered banners proudly [Re: TCM3] #7756270 02/25/20 08:03 PM
TCM3 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity

Plain and simple.
Remember The Alamo

Last edited by TCM3; 02/25/20 08:04 PM.

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Lift the tattered banners proudly [Re: S.A. hunter] #7756274 02/25/20 08:06 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
This is what I just found.

link to master plans for the Alamo

Thanks for posting. I signed up for updates.

Forgive my ignorance, but whatever happened to it being designated as a World Heritage Site? I remember a lot of hullabaloo about it, Daughters of the Republic losing control, etc., but I lost track of what happened.

The Daughters were very nice to me in a response to an inquiry I made about trying to find my 2nd great grandfather's name on any army roll of the Republic, but they couldn't find anything. He died in England (his home) saying that Texas owed him a league and labor of land for having fought for Texas independence. (I think his parents told him to keep his arse home or he'd be disinherited. grin Two of his sons later came to Texas.)

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Lift the tattered banners proudly [Re: TCM3] #7756298 02/25/20 08:24 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1466 - Lots of talk about what was done prior to the battle with lil' (or maybe nuthen) about that there event. The Alamo is being lumped in with the others and frankly, it waters down the inspirational message provided by the written history of that there battle. I have been all over each of these missions. When I think of the colonization of the New World, I marvel at San Jose, San Fernando and also a lil' one near Goliad (La Bahia). The acequias are also astounding. I can just see the natives dutifully and willingly providing that there back breaking work with "resolve". When I went to the Alamo (yes, it has been a while), I never, ever thought about the colonization of the state of Texas, only to concentrate on our freedom from the tyrannical rule from far away (or whatever you want to call it).

I do not have the article which I originally read. It was early and before the "storm". Thinking here the original dialogue was not much appreciated as some would have thought and there might have been a few changes to the supposed ending purpose of what is taking place.

Move the cenotaph to near St. Joseph's - r u kidding me? WTH?

Maybe I am just delusional and paranoid - always a chance. I never wanted to be like Travis (too stiff), but Bowie and Crockett really intrigued me.

Re: Lift the tattered banners proudly [Re: TCM3] #7756340 02/25/20 09:20 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I'm a big Texas fan from the first settlements in San Antonio to present day. Dont forget San Antonio or Texas for that matter didnt start at the Battle of the Alamo. Part of my family has been in Texas from the beginning. As the story goes two members were a part of the Alamo brothers, one on each side. When I did my DNA test it supported the story. They came over from the Canary islands. Either way, I'm a big fan of the Alamo. That's why I questioned your view. Matter of fact I just bought a 100 year old etching of the Alamo. It should arrive this week.

Creekrunner it has been designated a world heritage site.

My mom always mentions going to sign the relatives of the Alamo defenders book.... I dont really if it's a thing. I tell her what for? Do I get some kind of land grant? Lol not my kinda thing.

Re: Lift the tattered banners proudly [Re: TCM3] #7762567 03/04/20 12:54 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
I did look for a supporting view and wasn't able to find it. Thought I may have been going nuts and was resultingly paranoid. Then I heard some talk, only portions of it, on a local, conservative, rabble rousing radio talk show which was discussing the very issue I brought up. When voting yesterday, the Republican Ballot had the following Proposition, "Texans should protect and preserve all historical monuments, artifacts, and buildings, such as the Alamo Cenotaph, and our beloved Alamo, and should oppose any reimaging of the site."

"Reimaging" - that's a big word and especially so when referring to the Alamo - The Cradle of Texas Liberty.

Re: Lift the tattered banners proudly [Re: TCM3] #7762852 03/04/20 04:46 PM
S
Sailor Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
cowboy texas

S.A. Hunter----- Got one of them, hanging in my living room as well...……
When my daughter turned One year old...…..
We took a trip to S.A. so she could touch the Alamo...……
She's a Texan,(like her dad) and dam proud of it too...….

Re: Lift the tattered banners proudly [Re: TCM3] #7764571 03/06/20 12:51 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
From this day's, S.A. Express & News, "On the eve of the 1836 Battle of the Alamo anniversary, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick fired a salvo at Land Commissioner George P. Bush over the $450 million plan to overhaul the sacred Texas icon, saying the project is “badly off track.”

In a news release posted Thursday on his campaign website, Patrick joined a chorus of other critics in opposing the relocation of the 1930s Alamo Cenotaph, an important part of the plan. And he went one step further, saying the overhaul and a planned museum and visitor center should focus only on the famed battle, reopening a touchy subject. “The Alamo conservation and restoration must focus on the battle itself, not the 200-year history of early Spanish settlement in Texas,” his statement reads."

The article is quite lengthy and yep, just what I was referencing. Guess I am not alone. The Alamo and the history of the great battle which took place there led to its popularity as both a shrine and a heavily attended tourist destination that now needs to be changed to more "appropriately" (ie: politically correct) emphasize the original mission's history of settlement in the New World. I say that's crap. There are four other missions in SA which could serve that purpose. This is just a veiled attempt to white wash history.

Re: Lift the tattered banners proudly [Re: TCM3] #7764628 03/06/20 02:07 PM
TCM3 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
The Alamo fell on March 6, 1836. The battle took only 90 minutes. The bodies of the men who defended the Alamo were burned by Santa Anna and his men. Women, children, and a slave owned by Travis, were spared.
Originally Posted by TCM3

texas

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Lift the tattered banners proudly [Re: TCM3] #7764643 03/06/20 02:21 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
texas

Re: Lift the tattered banners proudly [Re: Sailor] #7764654 03/06/20 02:29 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Sailor
cowboy texas

S.A. Hunter----- Got one of them, hanging in my living room as well...……
When my daughter turned One year old...…..
We took a trip to S.A. so she could touch the Alamo...……
She's a Texan,(like her dad) and dam proud of it too...….

up texas

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide