Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Upgrading Hunting pants/Jacket- Need Advice #7753895 02/23/20 01:25 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I'm looking to streamline my hunting wardrobe while at the same time upgrading it a bit.

I have a lightweight polyester black Cinch jacket ( they are very popular at the moment ) that I've had for a few years. I have always been impressed with it because of its lightweight, its wind and water repellency and it is also quite warm. I started thinking if I could find a camo jacket in the same style/material it would be about a perfect hunting jacket for the style of hunting I do.

So i started looking at First lite and Sitka a bit ( I will admit I shy away from Kuiu, i think their colors are ugly and along with sitka, are a little too "trendy" for my taste) and I really like first lite system over Sitka....the Sitka line is overwhelming.

From what i can find, i think either the First lite Guide Pant and Jacket are what is most similar to the Cinch Jacket Material or maybe the Soft Shell Jacket.

What i'm looking for is a jacket and pant system that isn't bulky but is warm...Something i can take on October Elk Hunts that is warm, water resistant and comfortable yet won't bog me down with weight or will freeze me up when i stop walking.

My hunting wardrobe is pretty hodgepodge, i have a mix of Magellan cotton pants, one polyester pants that are meant to be worn over the cotton pants (these actually work excellent but are a tad bulky when you add the other pair of pants ) and a variety of cotton shirts. A lot of times i actually hunt in a hoodie. My baselayers are either northface or underarmour ( won't ever skimp on baselayers again ) but the rest of my attire is a mutt mix.

The only good gear i have ever bought was a under armour storm jacket for waterfowl hunting ( another very lightweight but warm jacket ) and a Cabelas Zone jacket ( great jacket but its bulky ).

Anyone have any suggestions on firstlite gear? Am i on the right track with the Guide Jacket and Pant combo being comparable to the cinch jacket style? i don't have any way of trying this stuff on other than to order it and return what i don't like

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Upgrading Hunting pants/Jacket- Need Advice [Re: txtrophy85] #7754007 02/23/20 04:15 AM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Just gonna throw this out there, a lot of folks that frequent rokslide that run the guide set from first life find the axis line from Kuiu similar if not better. That is a forum that you would find more info about clothing lines than here, imo. First lite is good gear, I personally have no experience with it. I am not a fanboy of any specific brand, but have plenty of sitka, Kuiu and Cabela’s brand stuff. I have found the more expensive gear is worth the cost in weight savings and functionality. The technical gear made by these companies is made for specific functions, but you can’t favor many of the pieces to multiple functions.

Re: Upgrading Hunting pants/Jacket- Need Advice [Re: txtrophy85] #7755032 02/24/20 03:55 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I think I have 8 pairs of Prana Zion stretch pants. Pretty much all I wear. Grey is my favorite color.

Might look at the Stone Glacier De Havilland it’s would be a heavier fabric with hip vents

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Upgrading Hunting pants/Jacket- Need Advice [Re: txtrophy85] #7755063 02/24/20 04:19 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Geez, guessing here the Nato Desert Night Camo available to almost any surplus store is not an option. That an a vest or an insert is all I wear.

Re: Upgrading Hunting pants/Jacket- Need Advice [Re: txtrophy85] #7755336 02/24/20 07:38 PM
S
Stratgolfer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
The Midway brand stuff is quality without the price. Pants for $50 instead of $300 and jackets for $80 vs $400.

"I was called by the Yorkers a outlaw, and later by the english a rebel" Ethan Allen
Re: Upgrading Hunting pants/Jacket- Need Advice [Re: Hudbone] #7755448 02/24/20 09:47 PM
ETexas Hunter Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Geez, guessing here the Nato Desert Night Camo available to almost any surplus store is not an option. That an a vest or an insert is all I wear.

some like good equipment. I am currently waiting on FirstLite to restock for the spring. I too have several pairs of Prana Zions, good all around hunting and hiking.

Re: Upgrading Hunting pants/Jacket- Need Advice [Re: Hudbone] #7755457 02/24/20 09:55 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

50% cotton. Hard to get warm if you get wet a few miles and few hundred foot of elevation change from the truck

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Upgrading Hunting pants/Jacket- Need Advice [Re: Stratgolfer] #7755772 02/25/20 03:47 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Stratgolfer
The Midway brand stuff is quality without the price. Pants for $50 instead of $300 and jackets for $80 vs $400.

i'm not familiar with midway.

Is it similar to Sitka/Kuiu/Firstlite?

Re: Upgrading Hunting pants/Jacket- Need Advice [Re: txtrophy85] #7755798 02/25/20 04:48 AM
S
Stratgolfer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S

"I was called by the Yorkers a outlaw, and later by the english a rebel" Ethan Allen
Re: Upgrading Hunting pants/Jacket- Need Advice [Re: txtrophy85] #7755984 02/25/20 03:24 PM
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by Stratgolfer

i'm not familiar with midway.

Is it similar to Sitka/Kuiu/Firstlite?

Not what you are looking for

Re: Upgrading Hunting pants/Jacket- Need Advice [Re: txtrophy85] #7755997 02/25/20 03:35 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Nope, it’s not.

Appreciate the link though

Re: Upgrading Hunting pants/Jacket- Need Advice [Re: txtrophy85] #7756073 02/25/20 04:48 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Best cold weather stuff I have ever bought has been Field and Stream's "carbon activated" cold weather pants and their 3 in 1 Cold weather jacket. Wearing either, I can be in a t shirt and skivies and still be plenty warm. With those pants, I cannot and do not wear long johns as the sweating will occur and with the jacket, one single layer underneath is plenty good. Think they are rated to 0 degrees Farenheit..

Re: Upgrading Hunting pants/Jacket- Need Advice [Re: txtrophy85] #7780417 03/21/20 06:21 PM
W
WillyB Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
I have the First Lite clothing. Nothing but good things to say about their clothing line. I hunt in NE Texas, temperatures range from 60s in Nov. to 30s in late Dec.-Jan. I wear their Merino under layers with only a wool shirt. I never get cold.

Sanctuary Insulated Bib in First Lite Fusion XL
Woodbury Insulated Jacket in First Lite Fusion XL
Merino Brimmed Beanie in First Lite Fusion LG
Mountain Athlete Cold Weather Sock in Black Olive LGM's
Merino-X Kiln Midweight 250 QZ in Black XLM's
Merino-X Kiln Midweight 250 Boot Top Bottom in Black LG

Re: Upgrading Hunting pants/Jacket- Need Advice [Re: txtrophy85] #7782601 03/23/20 06:22 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Just a heads up, you can call Sitka and they will try to get you the right set up. I agree that they have a lot of options and it can be overwhelming, but use their customer service!

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Upgrading Hunting pants/Jacket- Need Advice [Re: ETexas Hunter] #7782712 03/23/20 07:38 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by ETexas Hunter

some like good equipment. I am currently waiting on FirstLite to restock for the spring. I too have several pairs of Prana Zions, good all around hunting and hiking.

I've worn it in the Hard Scrabble area of Utah and in the Mountains between the Greys and Snake rivers in Wyoming. Wind, snow and no problems. Ran into a lil' blizzard in Utah and, once again, no problems. I might have been bred for cold though. Some of you guys might need something better.

Daddy always said, "You could bottle horse pee and if the right people said it was good, you couldn't make 'nuff of it.". Consider taking some Perrier to keep hydrated & strap a pillow to your back pack.

Re: Upgrading Hunting pants/Jacket- Need Advice [Re: txtrophy85] #7783573 03/24/20 02:33 PM
W
Wytex Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
You want some merino under layers and then pick a brand and camp pattern you like for pants and jackets.
The new materials do not absorb water near as much as cotton and dry very fast. They breath better than older camo and allow you to vent your perspiration out.
I think a good puffy jacket and various under layers like a fleece 1/4 zip and a vest help with the cold tremendously.
You want a jacket that you can fit the under layers under but still be able to move and shoot with them on.
I would get at least 2 different weights of pants, lightweight and a fleece backed. One for cooler weather hunting and the fleece backed for cold weather.

We always wore King Of the Mountain for cold weather hunting until we found Core4element many years ago. They are out of business now.
The materials were a game changer, quiet, lightweight and warm. The camo patterns looked almost too light and open but work very well for us up here now.
My KOM coat is my go to in frigid weather but the Core4 is what we wear for almost everything hunting now. The pattern actually is perfect for our hunting all over the state.

Find a pattern that helps break up your outline and does not blob out as a dark figure at a distance. Elk and pronghorn can pick out anything that looks out of place in open settings.
Lots of good camo hunting clothing out there now and some solid colors that actually work well too in the forest.

Go over to Rokslide ,as stated ,and look at what folks say about various brands. That forum is very equipment oriented .

Re: Upgrading Hunting pants/Jacket- Need Advice [Re: Wytex] #7783793 03/24/20 05:55 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Wytex
You want some merino under layers and then pick a brand and camp pattern you like for pants and jackets.
The new materials do not absorb water near as much as cotton and dry very fast. They breath better than older camo and allow you to vent your perspiration out.
I think a good puffy jacket and various under layers like a fleece 1/4 zip and a vest help with the cold tremendously.
You want a jacket that you can fit the under layers under but still be able to move and shoot with them on.
I would get at least 2 different weights of pants, lightweight and a fleece backed. One for cooler weather hunting and the fleece backed for cold weather.

We always wore King Of the Mountain for cold weather hunting until we found Core4element many years ago. They are out of business now.
The materials were a game changer, quiet, lightweight and warm. The camo patterns looked almost too light and open but work very well for us up here now.
My KOM coat is my go to in frigid weather but the Core4 is what we wear for almost everything hunting now. The pattern actually is perfect for our hunting all over the state.

Find a pattern that helps break up your outline and does not blob out as a dark figure at a distance. Elk and pronghorn can pick out anything that looks out of place in open settings.
Lots of good camo hunting clothing out there now and some solid colors that actually work well too in the forest.

Go over to Rokslide ,as stated ,and look at what folks say about various brands. That forum is very equipment oriented .

Core4 has been replaced by Black Ovis own brand( think it’s same designs etc) found one Camofire a bunch. Great option

Last edited by BOBO the Clown; 03/24/20 06:15 PM.

Re: Upgrading Hunting pants/Jacket- Need Advice [Re: Hudbone] #7783825 03/24/20 06:16 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I've worn it in the Hard Scrabble area of Utah and in the Mountains between the Greys and Snake rivers in Wyoming. Wind, snow and no problems. Ran into a lil' blizzard in Utah and, once again, no problems. I might have been bred for cold though. Some of you guys might need something better.

Daddy always said, "You could bottle horse pee and if the right people said it was good, you couldn't make 'nuff of it.". Consider taking some Perrier to keep hydrated & strap a pillow to your back pack.

Sad and scary that you would mock people for buying similar priced synthetic options instead of cotton.

Re: Upgrading Hunting pants/Jacket- Need Advice [Re: txtrophy85] #7783983 03/24/20 08:28 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
"Sad and scary that you would mock people for buying similar priced synthetic options instead of cotton." Good enuff to meet military specifications and then sold rather inexpensively at surplus stores. Some just feel they need to throw money at an issue. I still remember the high priced hunters we would pick up at the airport and then drive to South Texas. Some could really hunt. Most could not. They all looked very good.

Re: Upgrading Hunting pants/Jacket- Need Advice [Re: txtrophy85] #7784434 03/25/20 04:58 AM
4x4willie Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Look at Sixsite

Re: Upgrading Hunting pants/Jacket- Need Advice [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7784633 03/25/20 02:16 PM
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Sad and scary that you would mock people for buying similar priced synthetic options instead of cotton.

I don't know, he sounds like he really knows his stuff.

Re: Upgrading Hunting pants/Jacket- Need Advice [Re: ETexas Hunter] #7784699 03/25/20 03:31 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
That’s point It’s a forum not everyone has equal level of experience.

Grand scheme cotton in high country is just all round bad idea when the safer alternative is same price. Directly Advising it over a same price option and then taunting people is idiotic and reckless. He has zero idea if this is a truck hunt or backpack hunt, float hunt etc.

99% of people who recreate in the backcountry will never have an issue, but that 1% that do, die for one of three reasons a fall, hyperthermia or heat exhaustion. Hyperthermia is the Easiest to combat, with correct layering textiles and basic field craft.

I don’t care if he hiked 20 miles in to the Frank in Nov, or if he is eating SERE apple right now, all his resume went out the window with his comments.

Re: Upgrading Hunting pants/Jacket- Need Advice [Re: Hudbone] #7784735 03/25/20 03:51 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
"Sad and scary that you would mock people for buying similar priced synthetic options instead of cotton." Good enuff to meet military specifications and then sold rather inexpensively at surplus stores. Some just feel they need to throw money at an issue. I still remember the high priced hunters we would pick up at the airport and then drive to South Texas. Some could really hunt. Most could not. They all looked very good.

There are no moose in STX, txtrophy85 is specifically asking about western hunting and his moose hunt this year.

Military specs very greatly especially in realm of fire retardant clothing.... mission specific gear changes

Re: Upgrading Hunting pants/Jacket- Need Advice [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7784901 03/25/20 05:34 PM
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
That’s point It’s a forum not everyone has equal level of experience.

Grand scheme cotton in high country is just all round bad idea when the safer alternative is same price. Directly Advising it over a same price option and then taunting people is idiotic and reckless. He has zero idea if this is a truck hunt or backpack hunt, float hunt etc.

99% of people who recreate in the backcountry will never have an issue, but that 1% that do, die for one of three reasons a fall, hyperthermia or heat exhaustion. Hyperthermia is the Easiest to combat, with correct layering textiles and basic field craft.

I don’t care if he hiked 20 miles in to the Frank in Nov, or if he is eating SERE apple right now, all his resume went out the window with his comments.

totally agree

Re: Upgrading Hunting pants/Jacket- Need Advice [Re: txtrophy85] #7784914 03/25/20 05:39 PM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
So I have limited experience with elk hunting(compared to some here) but will tell you what I know about October hunting...

I have done Colorado a few times now and had one trip that was 60-70+ the entire time, one trip that I don’t think we got over 40 or 50, and one that was a mix of both. Morale of the story prepare for everything.

For the pants I keep it simple, couple of base pairs with different warmth’s and zion (or equivalent) or Kuiu attack pants. For the top a simple base layer then 2-3 different warmth options depending on circumstances and an outer jacket if needed. I focus on upper body options the most as that is the most user specific. Do you like pockets, can you shoulder a gun, what style do you like etc.

Focus on value in options. I found a 25$ insulated jacket that keeps me warm and has a bit of water resistance. Not great for rains but it does it’s job in light rain keeping me warm. You don’t need to buy everything name brand. To me the top priority is dry followed by warm, figure out what makes sense from there. You are better off with a few quality pieces over a lot of mid tier pieces.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide