Page 1 of 2 1 2
Trespassing & destruction of private property #7749670 02/19/20 12:16 AM
A
AMF Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
A
From what I'm hearing from my soon to be boss, somebody cut the barbed wire fence around one of his ranches, drove a 4 wheeler in, back out and left the fence open. There's some suspicion it was hunters as he's been told on the night of the incident, there was a hog hunting contest. As odd as it sounds, I kinda' hope he DOESN'T find out who it was. If he does and catches up with them, it would get right ugly.

To quote Matthew Quigley, "I'm new around here, so I don't rightly know..." Is cutting fences common place in Texas? In Virginia, it'll get you shot, thrown in a ravine and fed to the coyotes.

Last edited by Duke107; 02/19/20 12:17 AM.
Re: Trespassing & destruction of private property [Re: AMF] #7749672 02/19/20 12:19 AM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
You’ve already forecasted the result with your boss’s reaction. I don’t think anybody, anywhere looks kindly on damaging their property and trespassing.

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Trespassing & destruction of private property [Re: AMF] #7750455 02/19/20 06:13 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Duke107
Is cutting fences common place in Texas

No. If it happened to me and I was face to face with said fence cutter, I just hope I could keep my cool and think of my kids. I don't need any legal hassles. You are new here so I doubt you have read it but if you ever shoot at the range owned by Texas Precision Rifle Hunters, read the sign at the gate. Cutting a fence in Texas can get you an unwanted peep hole.

Re: Trespassing & destruction of private property [Re: AMF] #7750523 02/19/20 07:13 PM
D
der Teufel Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
D
In my experience it's pretty rare. I know of one incident where apparently a neighbor's cow or calf got through a fence, and there were no gates anywhere nearby. They cut the fence to return the cow to where it belonged, then repaired the fence.

Cutting a fence for purposes of deliberate trespass, and then leaving it open, would be far beyond bad manners. I wouldn't shoot anyone over it if I caught them, but I'd be taking lots of pictures and calling local law enforcement and perhaps the game warden depending upon the circumstances.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Trespassing & destruction of private property [Re: AMF] #7750617 02/19/20 08:40 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
It has been almost 5 years, but I found fresh cigarette butts on my place, in an area where they shouldn't have been. Behind locked gates, and pretty far back into the woods. I don't smoke, and hadn't had any guests that smoked. No problems since, but I've always suspected a certain neighbor was hunting on my place when he knew I wasn't around. Wish I would have caught him in the act...

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Trespassing & destruction of private property [Re: AMF] #7752083 02/21/20 01:20 AM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
It's been a few years now...but we've had who we suspect were Hog Doggers cut one of our perimeter fences (4 wheeler tracks and dog tracks).

It has happened only once....but Hog Doggers trespassing on foot is common here (Deep East Texas).

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Trespassing & destruction of private property [Re: AMF] #7753577 02/22/20 06:17 PM
H
Hunter-Steve Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
I just got a picture of a trespasser this morning. I have posted signs up and this is 1/4 mile from any road. The local farmer has no clue who this is either.

I'll head up there in today to make sure nothing was stolen or messed with.

[Linked Image]

Re: Trespassing & destruction of private property [Re: AMF] #7753612 02/22/20 07:00 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
What entitled scum that will never own any property of their own. This thread is just fueling my paranoia. I hope I never see or catch one.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Trespassing & destruction of private property [Re: Hunter-Steve] #7753849 02/23/20 12:39 AM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Hunter-Steve
I just got a picture of a trespasser this morning. I have posted signs up and this is 1/4 mile from any road. The local farmer has no clue who this is either.

[Linked Image]

Have you notified the local Sheriff's Office and/or Game Warden?

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: Trespassing & destruction of private property [Re: AMF] #7754246 02/23/20 05:34 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Had a trespasser show up on cameras checking my feeders 2nd week of gun season. Have had lease grazing and hunting rights about 30 years. Poof at time to renew just before New Year's owners said they are going different direction. I suspect trespasser who also stole game camera cards noted all the hogs and deer and tracked down landowners and just way over priced. We were not even given any option with landowner and spent days moving corals, crib feeders and deer stands, feeders and cattle panels. Hate trespassers and fence cutters. If have to cut a fence to retrieve livestock then build it back better and dang tight!

Re: Trespassing & destruction of private property [Re: AMF] #7754822 02/24/20 11:47 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I've had poachers/trespassers for years. I don't live there and GW can't camp out there. Last year, at end of hunting season, I went to pull cams and found the cards had been removed from all 6 of them. I could write a book about this stuff.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Trespassing & destruction of private property [Re: LeonCarr] #7756648 02/26/20 02:21 AM
H
Hunter-Steve Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
The GW owns property right next to mine and unless I catch them in the act there is not much they can do. I sent the picture to the local farmers and they are asking around. If anything someone will recognize this person and let them know their picture is now with the GW and the Sheriff's office.

I went out there and there was nothing taken. There have been hog doggers that I have run off before and this may be a new one from what the locals are saying.

Re: Trespassing & destruction of private property [Re: AMF] #7756754 02/26/20 05:30 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Seems hog doggers are a far bigger nuisance than the pigs, by this thread at least.

Other pig hunters rather poachers too.

I feel for ya'll.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Trespassing & destruction of private property [Re: Dalroo] #7756916 02/26/20 03:07 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by Dalroo
It has been almost 5 years, but I found fresh cigarette butts on my place, in an area where they shouldn't have been. Behind locked gates, and pretty far back into the woods. I don't smoke, and hadn't had any guests that smoked. No problems since, but I've always suspected a certain neighbor was hunting on my place when he knew I wasn't around. Wish I would have caught him in the act...

On multiple occasions I've found empty beer bottles in one of our box-blinds. Thankfully the neighbor just went HF, which will hopefully keep him on his own property.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Trespassing & destruction of private property [Re: AMF] #7756940 02/26/20 03:31 PM
jeh7mmmag Online Happy
gramps
Online Happy
gramps
Get with land owner or owners and find out if he has any water, gas pipeline, or transmission line around. Also find out if they owns all of the mineral and surface right to land. Or if he has talked to O&G leasing agent lately. Any of these can give people access to lands for certain reasons (survey, maintenance, inspection, seismograph, mineral, mining, sand, gravel, flood control assessments ASCA, wind and solar, seed contract or hybrid seed crop, or to build a proposal etc. O&G right come first in TX with curtesy notification to owner.

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Re: Trespassing & destruction of private property [Re: Hunter-Steve] #7757240 02/26/20 10:02 PM
D
Dry Fire Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D

[Linked Image]

And it looks like he is carrying a firearm on his right hip. Trespassing with a firearm is a state jail felony.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: Trespassing & destruction of private property [Re: Dry Fire] #7757419 02/27/20 01:28 AM
H
Hunter-Steve Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Dry Fire

And it looks like he is carrying a firearm on his right hip. Trespassing with a firearm is a state jail felony.

I think you are seeing the ratchet strap holding down the cell phone trigger

[Linked Image]

Re: Trespassing & destruction of private property [Re: AMF] #7757645 02/27/20 11:50 AM
Pootie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
The dirt on the jacket also helps with the "gun" image for me.

If you find yourself feeling useless, remember it took 20 years, trillions of dollars, and four presidents to replace the Taliban with the Taliban.

Sometimes the Universe puts you in the same situation again to see if you’re still a dumbass.
Re: Trespassing & destruction of private property [Re: AMF] #7757709 02/27/20 01:57 PM
M
mickeyhft Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
The road hog hunters in our area seem to think there is some exception to the rules on trespassing. Some even think they are doing some kind of service to the community by killing hogs. Ugghh.

DFW Roofing Contractor - Priority Roofing
HuntFishThrive.com

We are all in this together!
Re: Trespassing & destruction of private property [Re: AMF] #7760988 03/02/20 03:54 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
you cannot shoot a trespasser

You may remove him by force, but NOT deadly force

I found a dead 12 pt buck on my land, fresh kill, probably
3 weeks old

he was poached, probably shot at night with night vision

I found a Natural Light beer can on my fence line
I found 2 spots where someone had separated the wires to pass through

as much as I want to shoot this low life, I can't, knowing the law ….
and after some thought... is it worth it to approach this individual(s) and
risk being shot at /killed (as he also have a gun and is already lying and wait ) ?

I installed T Posts to fix the breached areas, painted the top fresh RED to let whoever 's been coming
know that I've noticed. I also put 2 No Trespass Signs
1 on a tree facing the fence , 1 on T Posts

I am going to contact the Game WArden to file a report and contact the Sheriff office

Deterrent is a good option at this point for me,
If it's a bunch of kids, maybe they'll grow out of it and become responsible young men

I'd like to know what others have done when they've encountered poaching, trespassers

Last edited by cabosandinh; 03/02/20 03:55 PM.
Re: Trespassing & destruction of private property [Re: AMF] #7761002 03/02/20 04:05 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
I just confirmed that trespassers have indeed approached land owner and leased property that I've had leased for grazing and hunting over 30 years. Good new is neighbor that owns the woods across the fence has granted me hunting access so will be putting up Posted/No Trespass Signs and purple paint on property line. I doubt the out of town leaseholder's realize the woods across broken down pasture fence are NOT part of their lease.

Re: Trespassing & destruction of private property [Re: cabosandinh] #7761118 03/02/20 05:57 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by cabosandinh

I installed T Posts to fix the breached areas, painted the top fresh RED to let whoever 's been coming
know that I've noticed.

I thought a PURPLE section on top of the post was a universal "Posted" ?

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Trespassing & destruction of private property [Re: CharlieCTx] #7761177 03/02/20 06:44 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
Originally Posted by cabosandinh

know that I've noticed.

I thought a PURPLE section on top of the post was a universal "Posted" ?

Charlie

Read what I said " to let them know I've noticed" ; it was not meant as a No Trespass paint

You're correct in the Purple paint as acceptable No Trespass sign
(1 inch wide , 8 inch long, 3-5 ft above ground and no more than 100 ft apart )

Re: Trespassing & destruction of private property [Re: AMF] #7761310 03/02/20 09:11 PM
H
Hunter-Steve Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
I've notice that lots of my neighbors have now put up the Purple paint. I am going to do the same but I'm not sure it will do much good as they totally ignore the yellow POSTED sighs I already have up. I even have picture of them driving right past them.

I'll be sending the GW these pictures as he owns the property one field over from me. These are just from this weekend...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Trespassing & destruction of private property [Re: AMF] #7761361 03/02/20 10:12 PM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Believe it or not, I have a funny story about this. A few years ago I ran into a HS buddy I hadn't seen in about 20 years. His family was dirt poor and didn't have a pot to piss in. I asked where he was living and he was still living in his dad's old trashed single-wide on a 1/4 acre plot where he grew up. He invited me along on a hog-dogging hunt with him and a couple other HS friends.

We all meet up at a gate that he has a key to, so I guess he has permission. He has his dogs and a couple old beat to hell 4-wheelers on a flat bed hay hauler, not even a box for the dogs. They just had to learn how to hang on, I guess.

The dogs get on a trail and take off, we're on foot and 4-wheelers hauling arse through woods and pastures. We get to a fence, and he just casually pulls out a pair of cutters, cuts the fence, and we all go through. I thought about saying something but nobody else did so I held my tongue and followed along. It was a gorgeous place, manicured pastures, a huge pecan orchard, huge oat fields and lots of little 15-30 acre coastal patches. I spotted a tractor shed with three or four nice clean tractors in it of the green and yellow variety and some really impressive equipment.

We ended up getting our hog. He strapped it to the back of his 4-wheeler and the dogs just followed us back to the trucks trying to get at it. We didn't kill it, he just hog-tied it to feed out for a while at the house.

We get back to the fence he'd cut and he pulls out a puller and a crimping tool and repairs the fence in about 5 minutes. We must have covered 1,000 acres that night, or at least the places we were on would have covered that easily.

Later that night over a few beers and a warm fire barrel I asked him about cutting that fence. He just took a pull on his beer and said, "Oh, I don't think the owner would mind.." I just said, "Oh...OK" thinking he knew that owner as. well.

A few days later I ran into one of the guys who was there who I have stayed in touch with. I asked him about it and he said, "Yeah, about that fence he cut? That was his fence. He owns all that."

Just goes to show ya' can't judge a book by it's cover.

Last edited by Slow Drifter; 03/02/20 10:14 PM. Reason: ugh....autocorrect, you're killing me!

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide