Print Thread
Timed Protein Feeders #7727856 01/25/20 01:51 AM
W
WillowCity2506 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
W
Looking into the advantages of timed protein feeders.

We currently run 2 free choice. We do not have a problem with exotics(axis) on our place. We see primarily bucks with the occasional coon at our protein feeders.
They will generally empty 1200# in 6 weeks.

In the market for a new feeder and was looking at the timed units.
Those of you who have them, what are your thoughts? reasons for going timed instead of free choice?

Re: Timed Protein Feeders [Re: WillowCity2506] #7728933 01/26/20 07:05 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Do you hunt near Willow City? Isn't the deer population quite heavy there.

Re: Timed Protein Feeders [Re: WillowCity2506] #7729193 01/27/20 12:05 AM
W
WillowCity2506 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
W
Yes, pretty heavy deer population.

Re: Timed Protein Feeders [Re: WillowCity2506] #7729207 01/27/20 12:16 AM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
My wallet and the need to constantly fill my free choice feeders are why I went with timed protein. I’ll also throw out there I’m not feeding protein because I am going to grow some monster deer. I’m doing it to offer them something different and to keep them hanging around. Timed allows me to control that.

Re: Timed Protein Feeders [Re: WillowCity2506] #7729413 01/27/20 04:40 AM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I use a Lamco Timed Trough feeder. The #1 downside to all timed protein feeders is if you have a battery/motor/electrical problem, you're not feeding and you probably won't know until you go back out, unless you're watching with a cell camera.

I still like mine, it mostly saves on waste, though even with a rain sensor shutoff, if there's any feed in the troughs and it rains, it can get out of hand pretty quick as the nasty just gets bigger and the deer won't eat it, feeder keeps on dumping and the nasty gets even BIGGER until you go clean it. smile I keep a brush on mine to clean the troughs.

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Timed Protein Feeders [Re: WillowCity2506] #7733548 01/30/20 09:39 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I agree with both of the ^above^ statements.

Timed protein is a way to control feed rate and more importantly the feed times in my case

Just a word of advice if you get a Lamco and you get heavy feed use. Disconnect the rain sensor. It isn't needed and it's just another component that can fail 2cents

Re: Timed Protein Feeders [Re: WillowCity2506] #7733581 01/30/20 10:01 PM
B
BiggeSmalls Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
All Seasons Stand and Fill Electric Protein does away with needing a "rain sensor". One less thing to worry about. No issues with any I have.

Re: Timed Protein Feeders [Re: CharlieCTx] #7734219 01/31/20 03:18 PM
E
easton1025 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
I use a Lamco Timed Trough feeder. The #1 downside to all timed protein feeders is if you have a battery/motor/electrical problem, you're not feeding and you probably won't know until you go back out, unless you're watching with a cell camera.

I still like mine, it mostly saves on waste, though even with a rain sensor shutoff, if there's any feed in the troughs and it rains, it can get out of hand pretty quick as the nasty just gets bigger and the deer won't eat it, feeder keeps on dumping and the nasty gets even BIGGER until you go clean it. smile I keep a brush on mine to clean the troughs.

Charlie

Im with ya... If it fall in to a trough make sure it has some kind of expanded metal..deer dont like mushy wet protein for some reason...If you get a shower in the summer months that stuff sours quick.. I have a neighbor that checks on mine every few days....Even with the rain sensor it can drop it..then rain...BUT yes you do save quite a bit...There is a good table of how much to feed daily online...

Re: Timed Protein Feeders [Re: easton1025] #7734264 01/31/20 04:12 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K

Originally Posted by easton1025

Charlie

Im with ya... If it fall in to a trough make sure it has some kind of expanded metal..deer dont like mushy wet protein for some reason...If you get a shower in the summer months that stuff sours quick.. I have a neighbor that checks on mine every few days....Even with the rain sensor it can drop it..then rain...BUT yes you do save quite a bit...There is a good table of how much to feed daily online...

The all seasons has small drainage holes built into the trough and the design of it keeps the extra protein inside the secondary hopper after it has been distributed but prior to it getting eaten if that makes sense. I think the secondary hopper holds 70 lbs that will stay out of the elements if the deer aren't eating enough.

Re: Timed Protein Feeders [Re: krmitchell] #7734357 01/31/20 06:25 PM
B
BiggeSmalls Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Originally Posted by krmitchell

Originally Posted by easton1025

Charlie

The all seasons has small drainage holes built into the trough and the design of it keeps the extra protein inside the secondary hopper after it has been distributed but prior to it getting eaten if that makes sense. I think the secondary hopper holds 70 lbs that will stay out of the elements if the deer aren't eating enough.

The design and functionality is killer, a lot of people kind of over look them.

Re: Timed Protein Feeders [Re: WillowCity2506] #7738784 02/06/20 12:53 AM
T
TexasDan82 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
I bought the 600lb Stand & Fill Electric protein feeder and after a month the motor burned up. I had it set to once a day for 5 seconds. So far I haven’t had a deer eat out of it, I mixed half corn and half protein. I will replace the motor this weekend and just turn it off until they get used to it and start eating out of it.

Re: Timed Protein Feeders [Re: WillowCity2506] #7751663 02/20/20 07:00 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
I use The Hammer to control my wallet expense and just to offer deer something different and keep them around. I have not had any issues as long as keep your feed dry and venting to avoid moisture/condensation.

Re: Timed Protein Feeders [Re: WillowCity2506] #7752645 02/21/20 06:02 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I didn't care for the All Season Timed Protein Feeder as I think, the ports are too close to the ground. If you've ever seen pics of deer eating out of protein ports and how they look eating out of the AS feeder, it's very awkward looking. The Dr. Whitetail guy who did the study comments that 41 or 43" is the optimal height. AS is trying to keep the Stand N Fill moniker by simply pushing the feed entrance down. I was going to buy one and raise it, but got lazy and did the Lamco Trough.

I think the Hammer option is a good one with a protein feeder retrofit, it's just not going to be a stand and fill.

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide