Forums46
Topics537,937
Posts9,730,873
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Come on State of Texas Legislature - Lets get serious about this feral hog problem! Poison isn’t the solution ,consider this [Re: Pig_Popper] #7751989 02/21/20 12:03 AM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Send them to China, I think they are only allowed 1 baby a piece. eek

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Come on State of Texas Legislature - Lets get serious about this feral hog problem! Poison isn’t the solution ,consider this [Re: Tbar] #7752088 02/21/20 01:23 AM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Tbar
Why can't we chemically sterilize pigs???

It can probably be done, but like with poison there's a high likelihood of affecting other species.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Come on State of Texas Legislature - Lets get serious about this feral hog problem! Poison isn’t the solution ,consider this [Re: Walkabout] #7752099 02/21/20 01:36 AM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted by Walkabout
Judd you not supposed to say that out loud. You nailed it.

Yes Judd, you did nail it for sure.

Re: Come on State of Texas Legislature - Lets get serious about this feral hog problem! Poison isn’t the solution ,consider this [Re: Pig_Popper] #7752148 02/21/20 02:40 AM
F
falmike Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
How about we consider killing less of the natural predators?

Re: Come on State of Texas Legislature - Lets get serious about this feral hog problem! Poison isn’t the solution ,consider this [Re: falmike] #7752157 02/21/20 02:51 AM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by falmike

People?

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Come on State of Texas Legislature - Lets get serious about this feral hog problem! Poison isn’t the solution ,consider this [Re: Pig_Popper] #7752201 02/21/20 03:44 AM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I am a land owner with hogs
I set out feeders to attract hogs
I do hog eradication on another neighbors land

If I want them gone I d hunt them everyday
But I don’t , I enjoyed shooting and eating them
They make high protein feed for my chickens

If we [state] want them gone
Just put $100 bounty on each
They ll go the way of the Dodo birds

We don’t have hog problems
We have a lazy problem

Last edited by cabosandinh; 02/21/20 03:48 AM.
Re: Come on State of Texas Legislature - Lets get serious about this feral hog problem! Poison isn’t the solution ,consider this [Re: RattlesnakeDan] #7752205 02/21/20 03:46 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan
Originally Posted by falmike

People?

I spewed soda out my nose reading this. clap

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Come on State of Texas Legislature - Lets get serious about this feral hog problem! Poison isn’t the solution ,consider this [Re: Pig_Popper] #7752217 02/21/20 04:03 AM
P
Pig_Popper Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
They don’t really say how they managed to do it.... as in specific stats attributable to each control method

This just in - The State of Colorado has officially declared hogs successfully eradicated :

https://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pag...ies+Information+Center+-+What%27s+New%29

Methods of Control :

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...ivities/feral-swine/fs-manage-the-damage

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: Come on State of Texas Legislature - Lets get serious about this feral hog problem! Poison isn’t the solution ,consider this [Re: RJH1] #7752427 02/21/20 02:18 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by RJH1

Your buddy should have let people hunt his place. Even at 50 bucks a pig that comes out to $15,000.

Maybe he could have made a few bucks, but it would take eons before he had hunters kill 300 hogs. Its great mailbox money for a grandma with a few 100 acres of family land and someone to run it for her, as a means of extermination it is pizzin into a gail force wind.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Come on State of Texas Legislature - Lets get serious about this feral hog problem! Poison isn’t the solution ,consider this [Re: redchevy] #7752430 02/21/20 02:21 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted by redchevy

Your buddy should have let people hunt his place. Even at 50 bucks a pig that comes out to $15,000.

Maybe he could have made a few bucks, but it would take eons before he had hunters kill 300 hogs. Its great mailbox money for a grandma with a few 100 acres of family land and someone to run it for her, as a means of extermination it is pizzin into a gail force wind.

This - and this is a working cattle ranch. Understand the 15k suggestion, but in this case, he is not interested in letting a bunch of hunters onto his place.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Come on State of Texas Legislature - Lets get serious about this feral hog problem! Poison isn’t the solution ,consider this [Re: Dalroo] #7752543 02/21/20 04:11 PM
R
RJH1 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Dalroo

This - and this is a working cattle ranch. Understand the 15k suggestion, but in this case, he is not interested in letting a bunch of hunters onto his place.

And i am not interested in paying for his hog problem. seems we are at an impasse :-)

Re: Come on State of Texas Legislature - Lets get serious about this feral hog problem! Poison isn’t the solution ,consider this [Re: RJH1] #7752589 02/21/20 05:00 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D

And i am not interested in paying for his hog problem. seems we are at an impasse :-)

Sorry, but it is not "his" hog problem - the problem is greater than any single land owner, which is why I brought this case up initially. If eradication is the goal, Rancher A can open his place up to every swinging richard in the world, but if neighbor Rancher B continues to have hogs, soon enough the population is back to square 1. To your point, I'm anti big government/taxes, but in the case of hogs, there is going to have to be a collective effort to eradicate them - simply hunting them is not the answer.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Come on State of Texas Legislature - Lets get serious about this feral hog problem! Poison isn’t the solution ,consider this [Re: Pig_Popper] #7752612 02/21/20 05:19 PM
R
rcjoutdoors Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
You had me at drone cheers

80% off of SA Face Shields
Coupon Code: RCFM80
Re: Come on State of Texas Legislature - Lets get serious about this feral hog problem! Poison isn’t the solution ,consider this [Re: Pig_Popper] #7752649 02/21/20 06:05 PM
R
RJH1 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
[quote=RJH1][quote=Dalroo][

Sorry, but it is not "his" hog problem - the problem is greater than any single land owner, which is why I brought this case up initially. If eradication is the goal, Rancher A can open his place up to every swinging richard in the world, but if neighbor Rancher B continues to have hogs, soon enough the population is back to square 1. To your point, I'm anti big government/taxes, but in the case of hogs, there is going to have to be a collective effort to eradicate them - simply hunting them is not the answer.

If I am rancher B, i am keeping my pigs anyway. That is a fast reproducing cash crop, i can't help it if others don't want to use hogs to their advantage, seems silly not to. So we are still at an impasse, and i still am not willing paying for someone else's land management programs. I mean, i already get to, but I damn sure am not lobbying for more

Last edited by RJH1; 02/21/20 06:05 PM.
Re: Come on State of Texas Legislature - Lets get serious about this feral hog problem! Poison isn’t the solution ,consider this [Re: Tbar] #7752678 02/21/20 06:33 PM
V
Vern1 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Tbar
Why can't we chemically sterilize pigs???

How would you target pigs only without human intervention to deliver the dose directly to them and only them?

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: Come on State of Texas Legislature - Lets get serious about this feral hog problem! Poison isn’t the solution ,consider this [Re: Vern1] #7752841 02/21/20 09:27 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Vern1
How would you target pigs only without human intervention to deliver the dose directly to them and only them?

Easy peasy... sounds like a job for a trunk monkey.

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Come on State of Texas Legislature - Lets get serious about this feral hog problem! Poison isn’t the solution ,consider this [Re: Pig_Popper] #7753683 02/22/20 09:00 PM
D
Douglas Tipton Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Good idea Popper, but Judd hit the target along with RJH1. The government is solely purposed and efficient at nothing save waging war (if you keep the politics out). I'll quote Jeff Goldblum from Jurassic Park, with my own twist..."A free market always finds a way". Today the free market is saying to leave a few behind - its good for business.

Re: Come on State of Texas Legislature - Lets get serious about this feral hog problem! Poison isn’t the solution ,consider this [Re: Dalroo] #7753739 02/22/20 10:28 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J

If he wants them gone he can make them leave. Hogs are not stupid critters, put pressure on them and they will go where there isn’t pressure. They will come back and he’ll have to pressure them again...it will be a continuous cycle but it can be done.

Again, he doesn’t sound like he wants them gone that bad...he just wants to bitch. I’m good with that but the last thing we need is another “program” funded by the government.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Come on State of Texas Legislature - Lets get serious about this feral hog problem! Poison isn’t the solution ,consider this [Re: Pig_Popper] #7754833 02/24/20 12:09 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I'm butt deep in hogs on my little 133 acre place. I don't live there.

We've tried hunting them but they are mostly nocturnal. We're not. We've tried trapping but have never even caught one. Tried multiple times.

They breed faster than people on welfare..

Poison? No thanks. I'm not mad at buzzards or any small game animal that might feed on a dead hog.

I have no interest in letting people with guns, that I don't know, come on my property.

I also don't consider it a government problem. I've never seen government solve any problem.

Answer? I don't have one.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 02/24/20 12:12 PM.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Come on State of Texas Legislature - Lets get serious about this feral hog problem! Poison isn’t the solution ,consider this [Re: Pig_Popper] #7755062 02/24/20 04:18 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
I hunt on a place in East Texas with one other in exchange for hog control. We can hunt deer and other stuff and have use of a fun rifle range, but it is contingent on hog control. At least one of us tries to make a hog hunt at least once a month or when we are called up about hogs on the property or neighbor's property causing damage. One or more hogs are killed on every trip and it does usually move most the hogs off the area for about a month after. We have work days where we make repairs on the land or farm equipment, tractor work, helping neighbors, etc. It is work to build a relationship with the property owner. When I notify the landowner I will be on the property, he almost always has something on the property, neighbor's property, or vacant house nearby that he wants me to check on, fix, or take care of. The problem is we have gone through three different hunters now to add to the team, and offered the spot to others that never showed up. Hopefully our newest guy will work out. We have to kill hogs to keep the hunting rights and the extra hunter would help. Every time we got a new guy, they just stopped going, either didn't have the time, not willing to put in the work, or not agreeing with the terms, or where, when, and what they can hunt. This even though we have provided a stand, feeder, and hunting rights for free. As much trouble as we have had adding a third person that will go often enough and that we can trust not to screw up a good thing, I could see how it would not take long for a landowner to tire of same. I am convinced most hunters would rather pay a lease fee to be able to make their own rules and not be tied to working with a landowner.

Re: Come on State of Texas Legislature - Lets get serious about this feral hog problem! Poison isn’t the solution ,consider this [Re: Pig_Popper] #7755461 02/24/20 09:59 PM
E
Exiled Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
I think this is an interesting proposal, but I think we may be placing too much faith in a large number of hunters to operate at a very high level and police ourselves to a very high degree. My experience over decades is that there are a lot of solid, conscientious hunters that I wouldn't mind operating in my ranch under certain circumstances, but also a LOT of yahoos that "hunt" under the influence, shoot indiscriminately and are disrespectful of other's land and property, who I wouldn't want on my property or even on the next one. The biggest problem in this proposal with be separating/filtering the two pools to ensure you are engaging primarily the first group.

That said, I believe strongly that poison is not the answer, I think the problem lies in the reality that most land in our state is private and thus subject to a dizzying array of rules/regulations, vs. other states where it's a little easier to implement a broader program because of the higher proportion of public lands. We have tens of thousands (maybe hundreds of thousands) of hunters who could put a bigger dent on the feral hog population if efforts are strongly coordinated, but that will be tough without having land owners on board and I can see how that would be difficult to secure/coordinate. Maybe you can get large ranch owners in South or West Texas to coordinate efforts, but think of all the smaller landowners all over the rest of the state.... ugh!

"Who Dares, Wins"
Instagram: @HCConnected
Re: Come on State of Texas Legislature - Lets get serious about this feral hog problem! Poison isn’t the solution ,consider this [Re: dfwroadkill] #7768140 03/11/20 03:50 AM
T
TexasLandAgent Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted by dfwroadkill
Lots of issues with this plan...liability and such...and the state will never allow the use of weaponized drones. I have been in the middle of this since early 2016 with the state and others. Warfarin was the first "poison" that was pushed. understand, this came from a small company not some huge entity. It was a husband and wife owned company. The lab that did the testing was owned by the same couple but they swapped roles in the ownership. No way the lab was going to say the product didn't work. Their studies had huge holes in it. We were able to get that stopped until at least the next legislative session. Meantime, TPWD has been studying Sodium Nitrite for around 12 years. In their initial field trials in North Texas they killed over 200 birds and had to stop. The delivery system has been the issue. They are back at it currently. If they can solve the delivery system issue, Sodium Nitrite is not a bad choice. Sterilization would be a good choice also, but that hasn't risen to the top...yet.

Dfwroadkill touched on it. USDAs APHIS started developing a new version of the sodium nitrate delivery method in 2017; a method geared more specifically towards hogs. Yields from that trial reported in 2018 resulted in a FONSI (Finding of No Significant Impact) on peripheral wildlife.

USDA got experimental use permit approval from EPA in Nov 2019 to field test the improved method on controlled sounder groups on specific tracts in Texas and Alabama. So it’s being deployed in the next stage of trials as we speak. The EPA is projected to approve conditional use permits for private application by 2021.

It’s funny to me they call it “toxic baiting” not poisoning.

I think a deployed sterilization method should be the next thing we develop.

Re: Come on State of Texas Legislature - Lets get serious about this feral hog problem! Poison isn’t the solution ,consider this [Re: RJH1] #7768358 03/11/20 02:52 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by Pig_Popper
I’m not trying to spend other people’s money - I pay taxes too so I get the rub.

The model of helping landowners that you lay out is what we’ve all been striving to do since before many of us were born.

The issue is there are more hogs these days and more lawyers and less ethics swirling about which makes the effectiveness of what used to be the sound approach less viable.

And so as we stall - they’re going to spend our money anyways and do what they want - hence the thread , try to sway it to a non-poison , non-chemical solution that won’t harm the environment of livestock.

While i agree with the no poison/chemical solution to the hog issue, owning land, or anything for that matter is a risk. No one helps me with my roof, termites, etc as a homeowner, so asking the public for help with a "problem" that a landowner has that they can quite literally make money on will never get my support. But instead of taking care of their own issues, many landowners seem to want to complain to the state and have others pay for their problems. I tend to be against welfare, in any of it's forms.

There are a lot of good people out there willing to help with eliminating pigs, and yes there is some risk involved, but when you own something it becomes your responsibility, and not the govts. Least that is my opinion, but it seems many people don't feel that way

Yet you seem to be complaining because someone won't let you hunt for free.

Re: Come on State of Texas Legislature - Lets get serious about this feral hog problem! Poison isn’t the solution ,consider this [Re: Pig_Popper] #7773956 03/16/20 04:41 PM
Y
yotehater Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Y
The coumadin warfarin showed promise. It's available as a large rodent control but it's still too expensive to just put out for dozens and dozens of hogs. But I'd let them do trials on my place, anything to git 'em gone. They tear up about an acre or two every other night or so moving when pressure increases to just come back when you slack off. Looking to start allowing thermal guys mixed with cows on this 150 acres to see if it helps.

One shot is all it should take.
Re: Come on State of Texas Legislature - Lets get serious about this feral hog problem! Poison isn’t the solution ,consider this [Re: yotehater] #7774028 03/16/20 06:01 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by yotehater
The coumadin warfarin showed promise. It's available as a large rodent control but it's still too expensive to just put out for dozens and dozens of hogs. But I'd let them do trials on my place, anything to git 'em gone. They tear up about an acre or two every other night or so moving when pressure increases to just come back when you slack off. Looking to start allowing thermal guys mixed with cows on this 150 acres to see if it helps.

There were all sorts of issues with the Warfarin product including the fact that their own study demonstrated that it didn't work. Scimetrics, the company that wanted to sell the product, was owned by a husband and wife. The lab that performed the studies was owned by the same husband and wife with basically reversed roles. You think maybe the results of the study might have been tilted? LOL... Birds of prey such as turkey buzzards were particularly susceptible. You want to destroy the ecosystem?

The rodent control product is not the same as the product that was to be used for hogs. Different dosage levels.

Be very careful about who you allow on your property, especially to eliminate hogs around cows. Having thermals does not mean they have a clue about what they are doing. Have you tried trapping?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide