Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Choice of land [Re: Stub] #7742825 02/11/20 12:06 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
I would probably leverage what might be 600 acres paid for, and with 1.5 million cash downpayment and get 6k acres smile ani

Re: Choice of land [Re: Leonardo] #7742828 02/11/20 12:31 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
It all depends and I'm assuming that you want to live there.

At a certain age, you need to be reasonably close to a good hospital.

Take a look at the neighbors.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Choice of land [Re: fadetoblack64] #7742844 02/11/20 01:06 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by takewhatyoucan64
I would probably leverage what might be 600 acres paid for, and with 1.5 million cash downpayment and get 6k acres smile ani

Sounds great but how will you make the payments on the balance of your loan?

texas flag

Re: Choice of land [Re: Leonardo] #7743004 02/11/20 04:31 PM
L
Leonardo Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Appreciate reading everyone's thoughts and perspectives. Hoping this becomes a reality in short order. Kind of surprised that the consensus is the single larger tract as I was leaning towards multiple tracts. Primarily not having all my eggs in one basket per se. While 500 to 600 acres is a nice piece of land I don't think it would really satisfy what my hunting priorities would be, I don't intend to live there anytime in the near future. I have kids in school, parents to see after, and being 38 I still need my job for the foreseeable future.

For me the tempting part of having multiple tracts would be the diversity of terrain, game, genetics, ect.. Multiple opportunities to harvest since I would make sure they were in different counties. I am sure after time I would find myself at one place more than the other and then I could potentially recoup my investment. Just thinking out loud and wanted to see what other like minded people would do.

Re: Choice of land [Re: Leonardo] #7743018 02/11/20 04:57 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Leonardo
Appreciate reading everyone's thoughts and perspectives. Hoping this becomes a reality in short order. Kind of surprised that the consensus is the single larger tract as I was leaning towards multiple tracts. Primarily not having all my eggs in one basket per se. While 500 to 600 acres is a nice piece of land I don't think it would really satisfy what my hunting priorities would be, I don't intend to live there anytime in the near future. I have kids in school, parents to see after, and being 38 I still need my job for the foreseeable future.

For me the tempting part of having multiple tracts would be the diversity of terrain, game, genetics, ect.. Multiple opportunities to harvest since I would make sure they were in different counties. I am sure after time I would find myself at one place more than the other and then I could potentially recoup my investment. Just thinking out loud and wanted to see what other like minded people would do.

Buy land as investment property, hunt and enjoy it then sell at a profit.

If you want to talk further about it PM me. I do it for a living

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Choice of land [Re: Leonardo] #7743019 02/11/20 04:59 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Oh! So this isn't just a pie in the sky hypothetical, this is really happening for you? Congrats if so. I would only consider two pieces of property if I was after two separate species that do not overlap on range, or it is not very practical to hunt them both on the same property. I.e. - Let's say I wanted to hunt quail and Whitetail. Although I could find land that both species occupy, I would want my deer land closer to home. If I could find all species on one property that I wanted to hunt, and it was close enough to home, then, I would go with one piece of property. As others have said, easier to manage.

Re: Choice of land [Re: Leonardo] #7743024 02/11/20 05:04 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
It's hard to support two mistresses. If it were me, it would be one piece that would be taken care of extremely well.

I always thought it would be in South Texas, but as I get older somewhere near Mountain Home and closer to Divide & Garvens Store sounds real good to me. As well as anything out that way with a lil' river frontage.

Re: Choice of land [Re: Hudbone] #7743039 02/11/20 05:19 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
Make sure your realtor drives a Lincoln town car................real classy.

PS.............let me know if you need any help buying something. We will get a box of chillable red and find something good.

Re: Choice of land [Re: Leonardo] #7743047 02/11/20 05:23 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
if wishes were fishes, I'd be a ring-tailed tutor ... but I guess I could dream. probably split into 2 properties, one waterfront on Lake LBJ and then a small ranch within an hour or so driving distance of the lake house.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Choice of land [Re: unclebubba] #7743100 02/11/20 06:32 PM
L
Leonardo Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by unclebubba
Oh! So this isn't just a pie in the sky hypothetical, this is really happening for you? Congrats if so. I would only consider two pieces of property if I was after two separate species that do not overlap on range, or it is not very practical to hunt them both on the same property. I.e. - Let's say I wanted to hunt quail and Whitetail. Although I could find land that both species occupy, I would want my deer land closer to home. If I could find all species on one property that I wanted to hunt, and it was close enough to home, then, I would go with one piece of property. As others have said, easier to manage.

It has a real good chance of becoming reality. We will see how much I have left when uncle sam is paid in full, college tuitions are set aside, retirement, ect… I thought owning a larger piece of Texas would be an easy conclusion but honestly its becoming harder to convince myself it is the right decision. I have always leased larger tracts to hunt and I don't know if I will be content owning and hunting a smaller place. Also I kind of like the freedom to roam. Never thought I was a commitment phobe but evidently I might be.

Re: Choice of land [Re: Leonardo] #7743107 02/11/20 06:36 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
Then don't do anything..............sooner or sooner the economy will go bust and your money will go further. Just remember TX is just one state..........lots of other places even out of the USA

You got time.

Re: Choice of land [Re: fadetoblack64] #7743115 02/11/20 06:40 PM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by takewhatyoucan64
Then don't do anything..............sooner or sooner the economy will go bust and your money will go further. Just remember TX is just one state..........lots of other places even out of the USA

You got time.

I’d be looking at how to turn that 1.5million into 3million.

I don’t consider that enough money to support a large piece of land (600 acres in this case) unless said land only cost $500,000. If I found lease for $10,000 a year, I could pay for that lease for 150 years with that money. I’d much rather make that money work for me then spend it on land and work for it. Just my 2cents

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Choice of land [Re: Leonardo] #7743506 02/12/20 12:28 AM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Me personally, I would buy one good sized property in S Texas. Build a nice barndominium on it, and improve the heck out of it - keeping it to hand down to my kids and grandkids for future generations to hunt on. I would leave enough for a small fishing shack in Rockport, a new bay boat, and some maintenance money.

Re: Choice of land [Re: Leonardo] #7743899 02/12/20 03:02 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Need more information. Do you want to be able to hunt just one or two species the rest of your life from that money? Buy land and shoot a few whitetails and hogs every year? Do you live where you want to retire and live the rest of your life or will you want to live on this piece of land? Do you have the cash, and do you want to spend the money on taxes and upkeep on the land after you buy it? If you had the land, how often would you use it?

For me, I would want enough land to be able to enjoy the scenery and not have to deal with neighbors. But I would want to be close enough to services that if I wanted a six pack, I could get one, or gasoline, or go to the doctor. I would not want to buy land and not live on it. I also like to hunt different places and add different species to my collection. I've only shot one whitetail in my life and don't know if I'll ever shoot another. I hunt every year, but haven't seen a shooter in 20 years and doubt that one exists here. I do shoot hogs fairly often, but have become bored with them. They are for target practice and coyote bait, but would prefer if they didn't exist at all. So I would want a house with a trophy room big enough to last the rest of my life of constant hunting all over the place. I would want a big workshop that I can do what I want in there and not run out of space.

Financially, if you invested the cash with a good, reputable firm, odds are very good that you will make a lot more money in the market then you will in buying land. How long will the value of the land double compared to how long it will double in your retirement fund?

Re: Choice of land [Re: Leonardo] #7743960 02/12/20 03:59 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
I'd buy a 100 acres or so in a good area with good habitat and put the rest in a good investment portfolio.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: Choice of land [Re: Leonardo] #7744280 02/12/20 10:18 PM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
For that kind of coins I would hunt with outfitters in the rockies, already have land in Texas to hunt the over grown jack rabbits. rifle

Re: Choice of land [Re: Leonardo] #7750686 02/19/20 10:08 PM
270Sendero Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
My dad went with 2 properties. 950 acres in Jack county and 635 in Concho county. Concho is an investment, Jack property is a forever property. After a couple of years he quit going to the Concho county property and spends his time in Jack county. I maintain the Concho place and run it like it’s mine, and it seems to work. 2 properties is a LOT of work, so I would definitely recommend one large parcel over multiple properties.

Re: Choice of land [Re: Leonardo] #7751042 02/20/20 03:08 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
I have a proposal for you guys. If you were to come into a lump sum of money around $1,000,000 to $1,500,000, would you prefer to purchase a single tract of land or multiple parcels over different areas. So lets say you have a choice of 600 acres or two 300 acre tracts. This property would be used for hunting or recreational purposes. Or you could use the funds to travel and hunt multiple species in different areas through outfitters. Interested in the reasoning behind your preferences.

Income producing farm land, either lease or crop share on 1/3’s. Equity and cash revenue.... it’s not recession proof but historically safer.

Good irrigated land section w/4 pivots, is 50k-70k Mail box money , pull 10k for maintance money and you Have a pretty nice hunting budget.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Choice of land [Re: BigPig] #7752258 02/21/20 05:13 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by BigPig

I don’t consider that enough money to support a large piece of land (600 acres in this case) unless said land only cost $500,000. I’d much rather make that money work for me then spend it on land and work for it. Just my 2cents

I agree with this. Personally I'd take the cash, buy one or two investment properties, and let the cash flow pay for the land. With $1.0-1.5M you could generate $60-120k per year in cash flow....basically you could own investment property and get the land for free.

As far as one or two properties I would pick one larger rather than two smaller....less work and upkeep/maintenance, also easier to manage for hunting.

Re: Choice of land [Re: Leonardo] #7752317 02/21/20 12:24 PM
R
RattlesnakeDan Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
600 acres in open rocky country seems a bit small when you are on it and 300 acres in the thick wooded or brush area seems very large. You obviously have children and I assume the future of where the property goes comes into account. Do your children really want a piece of land 500 miles away that they will just sell as soon as you are gone?
I have no children to leave anything to so I would buy a smaller ranch with privacy, some whitetail, hogs and turkey to enjoy and invest the rest somewhere that would keep paying me back annually or monthly.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Choice of land [Re: RattlesnakeDan] #7752406 02/21/20 01:57 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan
600 acres in open rocky country seems a bit small when you are on it and 300 acres in the thick wooded or brush area seems very large. You obviously have children and I assume the future of where the property goes comes into account. Do your children really want a piece of land 500 miles away that they will just sell as soon as you are gone?
I have no children to leave anything to so I would buy a smaller ranch with privacy, some whitetail, hogs and turkey to enjoy and invest the rest somewhere that would keep paying me back annually or monthly.

Two great points. I would never own land more than 2.5 hours away, preferably 2 hours or less. Both of mine are less than 2 hours and it's not bad at all to drive down in the morning, work during the day, and drive back home in the evening, and I get to go so much more. It's so nice to have a place close.

Re: Choice of land [Re: RattlesnakeDan] #7752474 02/21/20 03:05 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

If you raise your kids to love it, they won’t sell it. I’m 5 generation. I’ve expanded and I’m 500 miles from my ranch

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Choice of land [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7752502 02/21/20 03:26 PM
L
Leonardo Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
I have a proposal for you guys. If you were to come into a lump sum of money around $1,000,000 to $1,500,000, would you prefer to purchase a single tract of land or multiple parcels over different areas. So lets say you have a choice of 600 acres or two 300 acre tracts. This property would be used for hunting or recreational purposes. Or you could use the funds to travel and hunt multiple species in different areas through outfitters. Interested in the reasoning behind your preferences.

Income producing farm land, either lease or crop share on 1/3’s. Equity and cash revenue.... it’s not recession proof but historically safer.

Good irrigated land section w/4 pivots, is 50k-70k Mail box money , pull 10k for maintance money and you Have a pretty nice hunting budget.

This idea has peaked my interest.

Re: Choice of land [Re: DocHorton] #7752506 02/21/20 03:29 PM
L
Leonardo Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by DocHorton
Originally Posted by BigPig

I don’t consider that enough money to support a large piece of land (600 acres in this case) unless said land only cost $500,000. I’d much rather make that money work for me then spend it on land and work for it. Just my 2cents

I agree with this. Personally I'd take the cash, buy one or two investment properties, and let the cash flow pay for the land. With $1.0-1.5M you could generate $60-120k per year in cash flow....basically you could own investment property and get the land for free.

As far as one or two properties I would pick one larger rather than two smaller....less work and upkeep/maintenance, also easier to manage for hunting.

That part is already taken care of. I have plenty of investments and income to support whatever I decided to purchase. But the return vs the initial cash outlay seems well worth consideration.

Re: Choice of land [Re: RattlesnakeDan] #7752513 02/21/20 03:34 PM
L
Leonardo Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
L

This right here is the main reason for my post. My current lease is 1500 acres, last lease was 2500, I live on 240 acres, so buying a single piece of land 500 to 600 acres really won't satisfy my appetite when it comes to using the land for hunting. The thought process behind buying two pieces of property has more to do with diversity between the two properties. Multiple tags, different target species, different parts of the state or even a different state ect… If my kids decided they wanted the property or showed enough interest then great, can always sell it and let them inherit the cash.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide