Print Thread
Kubota utv #7747841 02/16/20 11:57 PM
T
throckmorton_hunter Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
How does the Kubota compare to the mule pro?
Cost , features ??
Thanks

Re: Kubota utv [Re: throckmorton_hunter] #7748095 02/17/20 01:09 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I don't know how they compare. I have owned 2 Kubotas. The first was a RTV 900. I put over 3500 hours on it. One fan belt and a couple of other small things like rubber hoses. Gave it to my son a couple of years ago and got a Kubota 1100 because I wanted the extra seats for hunters or prospective Ibex buyers. He is still using the 900. They are built like tanks. The RTV 900 is kind of a rough ride. The 1100 is smother than my truck.

Re: Kubota utv [Re: throckmorton_hunter] #7748166 02/17/20 02:46 PM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I have a Kubota 900. About 1000 hours so far and the only required equipment replacement has been a right headlight bulb. Of course, fluids and filters have been replaced. It does ride rough.

My neighbor has a new Mule, and I’ve looked it over. Lots of storage, which the Kubota does not have, though newer ones may have more storage space. Smallish dump bed and no hydraulic dump lift, which my Kubota does have. The Mule has better leg room, is quieter and rides smoother.

So...what causes me to like the Kubota? I like that it’s bulletproof so far, having run perfectly for a decade. The hydraulic dump bucket is a must have for us.

I have no data comparison on price.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Kubota utv [Re: throckmorton_hunter] #7748230 02/17/20 04:10 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
I am on my 2nd RTV 900, I sold my first one to a friend (manual dump bed) when I bought the 2nd one with the hydraulic dump bed. My friend still has the first one, slightly over 2k hours and my current one is about 800 hours. The first one I had to replace one front CV and the drive shaft U-joints and a battery. My current one I had to replace the alternator last fall. They are true workhorse that will last virtually forever.

I talked to the shop foreman of a local dealer several years ago, that sell both Kubota and Kawasaki (when the Mule was 3010/4010). He told me the gas mule engine would go for 1200-1500 hours, the diesel mule was 1500-1800 hours and the RTV was 4500-500 hours. All of those numbers are +/- of course depending on maintenance and some were better than others.

the RTV rides rough and isn't a speed machine but it keeps on plugging. Also, the RTV is pretty heavy.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Kubota utv [Re: throckmorton_hunter] #7748284 02/17/20 05:17 PM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I did forget to mention that I have replaced the battery once or twice over the decade on my RTV, but that’s to be expected.

If you want a quiet smooth riding SBS, maybe the Kubota isn’t for you. If, like us, you want a serious work machine, the Kubota is a good choice.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Kubota utv [Re: 603Country] #7750529 02/19/20 07:19 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I am on my second Kubota 1100 - current one has over 500 hours. I love it.

The full cab is incredible - no dust, AC/HEAT/stereo. The bed has hydrolic lift to dump - the suspensions are greatly improved. I have the diesel but they came out with a gas model that is faster.

Will be buying another one within a year or two

You can't fix stupid
Re: Kubota utv [Re: throckmorton_hunter] #7750613 02/19/20 08:37 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
I just don’t see the allure to kubota. you can get a full cab with HVAC on all the main ones. To me the kubota is a one person UTV because they are so narrow seating

Mule pro you can get full cab for both single and crew cab, HVAC, hydraulic dump bucket, etc.

Can actually fit two grown men and hunting stuff in front seat or three grown men, after market accessories is also 10-1

Suspension of the Mule is much better ride then the kubota. Also their is aftermarket support to make it even better with 12” of suspension travel while keeping tow rating if not increasing it.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Kubota utv [Re: throckmorton_hunter] #7750720 02/19/20 10:32 PM
G
gtrich94 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
I'm not sure which Kubota you are looking at, but my 900 comfortably seats two adults and fit me and my two kids when they were younger without any issue. The 500's on the other hand are really narrow.

As far as the ride is concerned, I won't lie, it's bad compared to something like a ranger. However, for something I may run for 40 or 50 hours a year, it's an over-built tank. Not having to deal with a gummed up engine from old gas is also a big plus.

Thanks,
Rich
Re: Kubota utv [Re: gtrich94] #7750748 02/19/20 10:51 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by gtrich94
I'm not sure which Kubota you are looking at, but my 900 comfortably seats two adults and fit me and my two kids when they were younger without any issue. The 500's on the other hand are really narrow.

As far as the ride is concerned, I won't lie, it's bad compared to something like a ranger. However, for something I may run for 40 or 50 hours a year, it's an over-built tank. Not having to deal with a gummed up engine from old gas is also a big plus.

I have had 3 rangers - you must have an older Kubota because the newer ones (2016 forward) have as good a suspension as a ranger

You can't fix stupid
Re: Kubota utv [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7750786 02/19/20 11:31 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
I just don’t see the allure to kubota. you can get a full cab with HVAC on all the main ones. To me the kubota is a one person UTV because they are so narrow seating

Mule pro you can get full cab for both single and crew cab, HVAC, hydraulic dump bucket, etc.

Can actually fit two grown men and hunting stuff in front seat or three grown men, after market accessories is also 10-1

Suspension of the Mule is much better ride then the kubota. Also their is aftermarket support to make it even better with 12” of suspension travel while keeping tow rating if not increasing it.

I have the same opinion of everything except Kubota. If you want a play toy that runs fast and spends half its life in the shop go ahead a buy RTV from Tractor supply. It would be just as good and last you as long as one of the expensive other brands such as Kawasaki or Polaris.

Re: Kubota utv [Re: gtrich94] #7750809 02/19/20 11:50 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by gtrich94

900 and 1100. They both are very very narrow seat wise compared to mule pro. I can fit my two kids, me and my wife in front seat of a mule pro or three of me (6’ 240) with ease

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Kubota utv [Re: don k] #7750821 02/20/20 12:00 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by don k
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

I have the same opinion of everything except Kubota. If you want a play toy that runs fast and spends half its life in the shop go ahead a buy RTV from Tractor supply. It would be just as good and last you as long as one of the expensive other brands such as Kawasaki or Polaris.

I’d buy a kubota diesel generator, tractor etc in a heart beat, just think mule pro is a better all around option compared to the Kubota IMO. I simply don’t see the allure of the kubota. Mule pro isn’t fast at all comparatively but it’s a much plusher ride with same or more tow/haul rating, 3 year warranty, quieter. greater seating capacity, and more options

After spending time in both, I simply don’t see the allure of the Kubota

Last edited by BOBO the Clown; 02/20/20 12:10 AM.

Re: Kubota utv [Re: throckmorton_hunter] #7750841 02/20/20 12:19 AM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
you must be thinking of the X model RTV that has the more bucket style seating ... my older 900 is not the X with the straight bench seat ... (I think they still make the non-X model with the bench seat???) that will seat 3 adults (a bit friendly).

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Kubota utv [Re: PMK] #7750859 02/20/20 12:39 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by PMK
you must be thinking of the X model RTV that has the more bucket style seating ... my older 900 is not the X with the straight bench seat ... (I think they still make the non-X model with the bench seat???) that will seat 3 adults (a bit friendly).

Both had the buckets, my best friend has the old 900 crew with bench it’s more inline with mule trans due to rear axle. But still narrow.

Re: Kubota utv [Re: throckmorton_hunter] #7751331 02/20/20 02:25 PM
Z
ZK-315 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Z
Put me in the Can Am Defender bandwagon. I've been around dad's (PMK) 2 different RTV900s and they are work horses, but will beat you up on rough ground. It's basically a mini tractor with about the same amount of suspension ha!

I had an older 3010 trans mule that rode slightly better than dad's RTV, but started looking hard and heavy last year for a new machine.

I put the Mule pro and the Can am Defender Max (6 seater) next to one another and did a pretty in depth comparison trying to figure out what i wanted to buy. I loved the Mule pro, but just couldn't get over how small the bed was in the 6 seater position. The lack of storage was also pretty lame to me. The only downfall to the Defender max is that it's just a huge machine all over and lack of a true front locker. There are aftermarket options for the locker though and i have yet to get stuck and I've been in some pretty nasty mud with it at the lease. The whole machine is beefy beefy. Suspension components were a lot beefier than the Mule pro, the storage options blew the Mule out of the water, and it had a full bed while in the 6 seater mode. It doesn't have the collapsing back seat like the mule does.

Long story short, I picked up the Lonestar edition Can Am defender. I went in to buy a lesser model, but they cut me a really good deal on the lonestar, It had a lot of the options i wanted already on it from the factory. I've hauled 4 guys, a 75 qt cooler, 4 deer, and had a 50lb road feeder hanging off the back and it didn't even think twice about it. On a different place, i hooked up to a 4.5 ton feed trailer and toted that thing all over a 600 acre ranch filling feeders like it was nothing. I'd put my defender next to any of the machines out there and have a go. I wouldn't be surprised if it out performed the majority of them, if not all.

Re: Kubota utv [Re: ZK-315] #7751425 02/20/20 03:42 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by ZK-315
Put me in the Can Am Defender bandwagon. I've been around dad's (PMK) 2 different RTV900s and they are work horses, but will beat you up on rough ground. It's basically a mini tractor with about the same amount of suspension ha!

I had an older 3010 trans mule that rode slightly better than dad's RTV, but started looking hard and heavy last year for a new machine.

I put the Mule pro and the Can am Defender Max (6 seater) next to one another and did a pretty in depth comparison trying to figure out what i wanted to buy. I loved the Mule pro, but just couldn't get over how small the bed was in the 6 seater position. The lack of storage was also pretty lame to me. The only downfall to the Defender max is that it's just a huge machine all over and lack of a true front locker. There are aftermarket options for the locker though and i have yet to get stuck and I've been in some pretty nasty mud with it at the lease. The whole machine is beefy beefy. Suspension components were a lot beefier than the Mule pro, the storage options blew the Mule out of the water, and it had a full bed while in the 6 seater mode. It doesn't have the collapsing back seat like the mule does.

Long story short, I picked up the Lonestar edition Can Am defender. I went in to buy a lesser model, but they cut me a really good deal on the lonestar, It had a lot of the options i wanted already on it from the factory. I've hauled 4 guys, a 75 qt cooler, 4 deer, and had a 50lb road feeder hanging off the back and it didn't even think twice about it. On a different place, i hooked up to a 4.5 ton feed trailer and toted that thing all over a 600 acre ranch filling feeders like it was nothing. I'd put my defender next to any of the machines out there and have a go. I wouldn't be surprised if it out performed the majority of them, if not all.

This is a legitimate argument against the mule pro. I thought the mule pro bed was to small but had no problem carrying mule deer and whitetails in it. The Defender storage is ridiculous, mule you have to buy accessory to have decent storage under the seat but still a 1/3 of the defenders.

I went aftermarket shocks on the mule and suspension now it’s better then the defender, but still a 25 mph top end difference. But you can also aftermarket suspension the HD10 also

Re: Kubota utv [Re: throckmorton_hunter] #7751512 02/20/20 04:55 PM
Z
ZK-315 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Z
Depending on the model of the Defender, extra storage bins would have to be purchased, similar to the mules. The XT model and up come with at least one of the under seat storage boxes, sometimes two depending on the dealer, glove box on the passenger side, and a closable lid on the drivers side glove box.

What did you put on your mule? Elkas? I've heard excellent things about the Elka shocks. They make them for the defender too, but the S3 springs are really a good option for MUCH cheaper. They are a bit stiffer, but still nice and plush. Helps with the sagging factory springs and helps with less body roll in corners.

Re: Kubota utv [Re: ZK-315] #7751633 02/20/20 06:36 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by ZK-315
Depending on the model of the Defender, extra storage bins would have to be purchased, similar to the mules. The XT model and up come with at least one of the under seat storage boxes, sometimes two depending on the dealer, glove box on the passenger side, and a closable lid on the drivers side glove box.

What did you put on your mule? Elkas? I've heard excellent things about the Elka shocks. They make them for the defender too, but the S3 springs are really a good option for MUCH cheaper. They are a bit stiffer, but still nice and plush. Helps with the sagging factory springs and helps with less body roll in corners.

Elka, they are HD springs and 0-4” lift all in one, plus 4” of more travel. Made a huge difference.

Re: Kubota utv [Re: throckmorton_hunter] #7751765 02/20/20 09:00 PM
Z
ZK-315 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Z
I dont have any personal experience with them, but I've heard they are excellent on the mules and the defenders. It's amazing what suspension companies are coming up with these days and a tiny little shim stack positioned in the correct way can be a completely different ride than if the shim stack was something completely different.

Re: Kubota utv [Re: throckmorton_hunter] #7752000 02/21/20 12:11 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
I have a little over 600 miles on the elkas in the last three months, they are worth every penny in my opinion. On mule they are a no brainer IMO.

Re: Kubota utv [Re: throckmorton_hunter] #7752114 02/21/20 01:55 AM
E
ErikL Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
E
we've had a kubota rtv 1140 for probably almost 10 years now. its been really good and lots of great memories. my buddy in texas had a mule and had to have the motor replaced

Re: Kubota utv [Re: throckmorton_hunter] #7752122 02/21/20 02:04 AM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Hey Bobo....but does it have heat?

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Kubota utv [Re: Judd] #7752206 02/21/20 03:48 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Judd
Hey Bobo....but does it have heat?

roflmao why yes it does.

Re: Kubota utv [Re: throckmorton_hunter] #7765313 03/07/20 05:53 AM
glocker17 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
You buy the kubota for the engine and the HST. I will never go back to belts.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide