Print Thread
Deutsch-Drahthaar or Pudelpointer #7747223 02/16/20 01:47 AM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline OP
the janitor
OP Offline
the janitor
J
I'm looking for a versatile dog that can retrieve ducks, hunt pheasant and point quail. I think I have narrowed it down to these two breeds. Looking for some opinions.

“Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will.” – Theodore Roosevelt

[Linked Image]
Re: Deutsch-Drahthaar or Pudelpointer [Re: J.P. Greeson] #7747231 02/16/20 01:56 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
If you like both breeds get one out of a well bred litter and hopefully you’ll get what you want. Smokey Bears slick haired pudelpointer is the only one I’ve seen I like the looks of.

Re: Deutsch-Drahthaar or Pudelpointer [Re: J.P. Greeson] #7747232 02/16/20 01:57 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
They both do fine. Great choices. I love all pointing dogs from pointers on down.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Deutsch-Drahthaar or Pudelpointer [Re: J.P. Greeson] #7747667 02/16/20 07:28 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Get a lab, they are better. Here is a picture of Molly pointing.. smile ani

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Deutsch-Drahthaar or Pudelpointer [Re: J.P. Greeson] #7748141 02/17/20 02:03 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline OP
the janitor
OP Offline
the janitor
J
I think I'm going with a DD. Talking to this guy - http://www.vomseymourkennel.com.

“Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will.” – Theodore Roosevelt

[Linked Image]
Re: Deutsch-Drahthaar or Pudelpointer [Re: J.P. Greeson] #7748271 02/17/20 04:49 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. It is exactly what I narrowed mine down to a couple three years ago. After going through all the research that you are doing now, they are a lot more alike than they are different. The main thing that I heard a lot was that the PP has a more consistent disposition. The DD can vary a lot more, whether its shy or aggressive.

I went with PP and couldn't be happier. I do love her coat, too. I duck hunt a lot and she is the most naturally camo'd dog I've ever hunted with, blends in perfectly. The wife loves that she doesn't shed at all, too.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

My two cents.

Re: Deutsch-Drahthaar or Pudelpointer [Re: J.P. Greeson] #7748291 02/17/20 05:26 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
I think I'm going with a DD. Talking to this guy - http://www.vomseymourkennel.com.

Good choice. Competed against a few and lost in NSTRA.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Deutsch-Drahthaar or Pudelpointer [Re: J.P. Greeson] #7748420 02/17/20 09:02 PM
S
Stohner Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I went with a pp over a dd because of what I read with some DD's temperament. Confirmed by 2 people I have met training. They reported theirs were a little possessive/ aggressive towards toddlers. I have a 6 month old and Lady is a therapy dog at my treatment center.

Re: Deutsch-Drahthaar or Pudelpointer [Re: LarryCopper] #7748659 02/18/20 01:16 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by LarryCopper
The wife loves that she doesn't shed at all.

That right there is very nice. Went I got Tara my 3rd lab, I was looking at non-shed alternatives, PP's I did not know about back then or I might have got one. Do the short haired PPs shed? I would rather have short hair vs long, just because they dry off faster coming out of the water and all that hair collects burs..

Re: Deutsch-Drahthaar or Pudelpointer [Re: J.P. Greeson] #7748742 02/18/20 02:16 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I'm looking for a versatile dog that can retrieve ducks, hunt pheasant and point quail. I think I have narrowed it down to these two breeds. Looking for some opinions.

My best friend had one, as with all the DD’s I’ve hunted over intense prey drive is understatement, one of the better all around hunting dogs, with that said a duck and pheasant dog can get hunted just 3 times a year and still be a semi decent hand. Quail not so much, IMO

I had a hard choice when replacing my lab this year. I broke it down to a DD and chessie. Ended up with a chessie. I couldn’t guarantee enough upland for a DD, outside a few pheasant hunts a year. I feel like if you are going to own a DD you need to hunt him enough he can let’s those long legs loose, more often then not, and not is a tragedy to the breed. IMO

Goldstein has a puddle pointer but I’ve never hunted over one

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Deutsch-Drahthaar or Pudelpointer [Re: J.P. Greeson] #7748918 02/18/20 12:30 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
JP,
I don’t think you will go wrong with either if you’re looking for a versatile. Either breed has the ability to handle what you want..
I’ve got a 3 year old pudelpointer and I like him. He does a respectable job on all the birds you mentioned. A very biddable level headed dog with a good nose. He is wired pretty hot but can turn it off. He eats it up when my wife baby's him. We just got back from quail hunting south texas. He is pretty sore footed right now but he handles the quail pretty well. Be forewarned though, you will likely need to get serious with trash breaking. Both breeds are going to really like the feel of fur in their mouth as well feathers.
Guy,
He is slick coated and he does shed a little bit. I hunt him some with a couple buddies that both have a heavy coated PP. I don’t think either one of them shed.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Deutsch-Drahthaar or Pudelpointer [Re: Guy] #7749298 02/18/20 07:09 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by LarryCopper
The wife loves that she doesn't shed at all.

That right there is very nice. Went I got Tara my 3rd lab, I was looking at non-shed alternatives, PP's I did not know about back then or I might have got one. Do the short haired PPs shed? I would rather have short hair vs long, just because they dry off faster coming out of the water and all that hair collects burs..

Rosie dries a lot faster than you would think. Usually by the time I'm back at the boat ramp she's mostly dry. But you are right on the cockle burrs. They get really bound up on her. She'll pick most of them off, but every now and then she'll get them all in her face, too.

Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
Guy,
He is slick coated and he does shed a little bit. I hunt him some with a couple buddies that both have a heavy coated PP. I don’t think either one of them shed.

This is what I've heard consistently said about them. Slicks sometimes shed, although a lot less than a lab. Heavier/longer coats tend to not shed at all or very little.

Re: Deutsch-Drahthaar or Pudelpointer [Re: Stohner] #7750089 02/19/20 01:29 PM
S
stinkbelly Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Stohner
I went with a pp over a dd because of what I read with some DD's temperament. Confirmed by 2 people I have met training. They reported theirs were a little possessive/ aggressive towards toddlers. I have a 6 month old and Lady is a therapy dog at my treatment center.

I have 2 DDs. If there is any sign of aggression towards any person, they are not allowed to breed. Before this breed is allowed to breed, they have to have it approved by a breed warden.

I am not saying it didn't happen, but it is very rare. Also, there are a ton of German Wirehair Pointer guys that think their dogs are DD. They are wrong.

I do know a guy that his was aggressive towards a tiny dog, but they are trained to kill vermin.

Re: Deutsch-Drahthaar or Pudelpointer [Re: stinkbelly] #7752283 02/21/20 10:53 AM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline OP
the janitor
OP Offline
the janitor
J
Originally Posted by stinkbelly

I have 2 DDs. If there is any sign of aggression towards any person, they are not allowed to breed. Before this breed is allowed to breed, they have to have it approved by a breed warden.

I am not saying it didn't happen, but it is very rare. Also, there are a ton of German Wirehair Pointer guys that think their dogs are DD. They are wrong.

I do know a guy that his was aggressive towards a tiny dog, but they are trained to kill vermin.

I also want a dog that will be a little protective of my wife and my other two dogs. My wife gets up early and walks the dogs and cats. There are coyotes out here, occasionally a bobcat and rarely a mountain lion in our neighborhood. A few people swear they have seen black panthers as well. smile I'm not worried about the dog being aggressive. I don't raise aggressive dogs.

Anyway, I would like a bigger dog that would be able offer a little protection to my pack who insists on walking at the crack of dawn.

[Linked Image]
Re: Deutsch-Drahthaar or Pudelpointer [Re: J.P. Greeson] #7752660 02/21/20 06:19 PM
S
Stohner Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by stinkbelly

I also want a dog that will be a little protective of my wife and my other two dogs. My wife gets up early and walks the dogs and cats. There are coyotes out here, occasionally a bobcat and rarely a mountain lion in our neighborhood. A few people swear they have seen black panthers as well. smile I'm not worried about the dog being aggressive. I don't raise aggressive dogs.

Anyway, I would like a bigger dog that would be able offer a little protection to my pack who insists on walking at the crack of dawn.

DD sounds like a good choice. Try and get to a Navdha day and meet a few. I haven't seen many DD there but you will see pp.

Re: Deutsch-Drahthaar or Pudelpointer [Re: J.P. Greeson] #7752933 02/21/20 10:44 PM
C
catslayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I would go pudelpointer personaly.

Have heard a lot of negative things about DDs not living up to their rep. From ligit breeders too

Have been pointed to Germain Wire Hairs va DDs by SEVERAL folks now... Trainers I trust saying it.

Sombody smells like fried borritos...
Re: Deutsch-Drahthaar or Pudelpointer [Re: J.P. Greeson] #7764881 03/06/20 07:07 PM
R
RyanRamirez Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
R
I bought a VDD from Mike Scheel he is the Breed Warden https://www.vdd-gna.org/executive-board/. I flew to Chicago rented a car pickup the dog about 2 hrs outside of Chicago and drove him home to Southlake, TX... If you are interested in a VDD talk to Mike he is an awesome guy and he knows the breed I would say better than anyone out there. His kennel is Jagdkoning https://www.jagdkonig.com/.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide