Forums46
Topics537,942
Posts9,730,895
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Info asked by seller when selling gun [Re: tskin] #7746452 02/15/20 12:26 AM
J
jeepman3366 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Always a Bill of Sale with ID, after ATF shows up at door because a AR ended up in Mexico at a shoot out.

Re: Info asked by seller when selling gun [Re: tskin] #7746460 02/15/20 12:36 AM
glens Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I've only sold a couple and anyone I sell to copy of CHL is the only way mine walks. Only CHL License or NO!

Re: Info asked by seller when selling gun [Re: tskin] #7746492 02/15/20 01:23 AM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
I no longer have any guns except for some .22lr rifles and a couple of guns that I talk about on here. I sold all but these because I just don't need so many guns anymore.

I got a signed Bill of Sale for each of them and had my signature notarized and therefore a recorded date for each document. No, I did not record the buyer's driver's license number because I don't have to - I just glanced at them to be sure that it was a Texas license. I also asked each buyer if they were legal to buy my gun and they seemed honest and answered "yes." If one of my old guns shows up at a crime scene, I have proof that I sold it long before the crime was committed.

However, I probably should try harder to change my records to show when buyers brought back a gun for a refund because they were unhappy with the transaction.

Marc

Last edited by Marc K; 02/15/20 01:25 AM.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Info asked by seller when selling gun [Re: tskin] #7746516 02/15/20 01:40 AM
J
jakebunch Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
Several years ago I sold a hand gun at a gun show. About a year later I was contacted by an ATF agent and he was inquiring about the gun. Told him I sold it and when he asked me if I knew the person or their name I had to reply no as I did not get any ID information. He advised me that gun had been used in an armed robbery and they were tracing the ownership. I was the last registered owner. He had been nice to that point and then he got to be all business and stated very clearly that I needed to get ID information on anyone that I sold a gun to in the future. And, I have.

Re: Info asked by seller when selling gun [Re: jakebunch] #7746567 02/15/20 02:36 AM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by jakebunch
.............................. He had been nice to that point and then he got to be all business and stated very clearly that I needed to get ID information on anyone that I sold a gun to in the future. ................

If he was right in saying that you legally "needed" to get ID info, you would have left in cuffs.
The ATF guy wasn't quoting a law, he was stating what he would prefer that you do. With private gun sales in Texas, we are ALL obliged to follow the laws plus common sense - added to our gut level instincts. If it doesn't smell right - don't do it.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Info asked by seller when selling gun [Re: Marc K] #7746571 02/15/20 02:41 AM
J
jakebunch Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Marc K
.............................. He had been nice to that point and then he got to be all business and stated very clearly that I needed to get ID information on anyone that I sold a gun to in the future. ................

If he was right in saying that you legally "needed" to get ID info, you would have left in cuffs.
The ATF guy wasn't quoting a law, he was stating what he would prefer that you do. With private gun sales in Texas, we are ALL obliged to follow the laws plus common sense - added to our gut level instincts. If it doesn't smell right - don't do it.

Correct.

Re: Info asked by seller when selling gun [Re: tskin] #7746573 02/15/20 02:43 AM
E
Espy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
I have only sold 2 guns both two friends. Shoot If ever sell another gun I am thinking about collecting some DNA.

Re: Info asked by seller when selling gun [Re: tskin] #7746579 02/15/20 02:47 AM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I follow what the law requires. There is NO registration in Texas.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Info asked by seller when selling gun [Re: tskin] #7746590 02/15/20 02:59 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted by tskin
No digs at anyone that does, but what is purpose of seeing Drivers license or LTC or requiring bill of sale when doing a private/non dealer sale to another individual?

Thanks for explaining.

If I don't know the individual or they are not someone I am at least familiar with, I require a copy of driver's license number or other identification. I have an 03 Curio and Relics FFL so if the firearm is a curio and relic I have to have that information anyway for my bound book even though there is no paperwork required by the buyer. When a stranger to me is unwilling to provide that information, I see it as a red flag.

I sold a rifle to another forum member on THF a few years ago. I met him in a parking lot and it was not someone I was familiar with, so I did get the copy of his driver's license. Some time later I was contacted by ATF doing a reverse trace on that very rifle. I got the agent's name and told them I would call them back. I looked up the Dallas office, called and asked for that person to make sure it was who they said they were. They would not give me any details other than involved in criminal activity. I was able to provide the buyer's name and driver's license to the ATF taking me out off the loop entirely. I do not want any rifle involved in something criminal ending with me during a reverse trace.

Re: Info asked by seller when selling gun [Re: tskin] #7746591 02/15/20 02:59 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I don't sell guns but I've bought quite a few just here on the forum. Never showed an ID to anybody.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Info asked by seller when selling gun [Re: tskin] #7746649 02/15/20 03:42 AM
O
Okiedog Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
Only follow the law.
Buyer over 21.
Buyer and seller are residents of same state.
No knowledge of buyer being a felon.

Re: Info asked by seller when selling gun [Re: tskin] #7746660 02/15/20 03:53 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I would not show ID or sign any paperwork to buy a gun from any individual. When I sell a gun I deal in cash or trade only and would never think of signing paperwork. It’s no different than selling a lawnmower. Don’t complicate things. If they are over 18 don’t worry about it.

Re: Info asked by seller when selling gun [Re: The Dude Abides] #7746682 02/15/20 04:25 AM
L
leswad Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308
I follow what the law requires. There is NO registration in Texas.

[Linked Image]

FJB
Re: Info asked by seller when selling gun [Re: tskin] #7746685 02/15/20 04:28 AM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
how do you protect yourself from buying a stolen gun?

[Linked Image]
Re: Info asked by seller when selling gun [Re: tskin] #7746689 02/15/20 04:36 AM
D
DannyB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D

How does this ID work for you? roflmao

[Linked Image]

Re: Info asked by seller when selling gun [Re: tskin] #7746718 02/15/20 08:54 AM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I wouldn't show my ID to an individual or someone I didn't know. If I was buying a gun I guess I would only buy it from licensed dealer.

Last gun I bought from an individual was many years ago was friend of a friend who was hurting for money, but that was probably 30 years ago.

Re: Info asked by seller when selling gun [Re: Tin Head] #7746796 02/15/20 02:03 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Tin Head
how do you protect yourself from buying a stolen gun?

How does a BoS or checking ID inform you on whether the gun is stolen or not? Texas does not maintain a "stolen gun database" that consumers have access to.

I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Info asked by seller when selling gun [Re: tskin] #7746814 02/15/20 02:30 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Asking for ID is BS and not every legal to buy individual has a LTC. confused2

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Info asked by seller when selling gun [Re: ntxtrapper] #7746868 02/15/20 03:26 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Originally Posted by unclebubba
As the buyer, if the gun is found to be reported stolen, I want to be able to shoe the police a bill of sale showing that I purchased it.
As a seller, the law requires that you do not sell the gun to someone who is not legally allowed to own it. If I see an LTC, I KNOW that they can own it.

Someone in possession of a LTC doesn't guarantee they can legally possess a firearm. Most people who have them suspended or revoked, don't surrender the actual card back to DPS as they are required to.

OK, if I see an LTC, I can be 99.9% sure that they can legally own it.

Re: Info asked by seller when selling gun [Re: jakebunch] #7746902 02/15/20 04:02 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
...and stated very clearly that I needed to get ID information on anyone that I sold a gun to in the future. And, I have.

Wrong, not required in Texas. Next time tell them to show you that statement in writing!

Re: Info asked by seller when selling gun [Re: Mike W] #7746927 02/15/20 04:55 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted by Mike W
Originally Posted by scalebuster
Originally Posted by Mike W
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter
Peace of mind that hopefully you're not selling to someone who should not have a firearm.

The other part is a paper trail.

Bingo. I had an experience several years ago that could have gotten ugly if I did not have all the buyers info on a pistol I sold.

How could it have gotten ugly?

Pistol was found in a less than savory home, where multiple felonies were being committed, authorities call me because I was the "registered owner". Up until that day, I did not know there was any kind of registry.

You were not the "registered owner". When a firearm is picked up by law enforcement related to criminal activity often part of the procedure is to do a reverse trace on the firearm. They contact the manufacturer or importer with the serial number to find out who the firearm was sold/shipped to, then they contact the FFL to get the information of who it was sold to, then contact the buyer, and so on until the trail stops. Likely how many stolen firearms are discovered. When an FFL ceases business, they are required to turn those bound books into the ATF. If you bought a firearm from an FFL, the serial number of that firearm can be reverse traced to you forever.

Re: Info asked by seller when selling gun [Re: The Dude Abides] #7746942 02/15/20 05:11 PM
T
Tim9880 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
...and stated very clearly that I needed to get ID information on anyone that I sold a gun to in the future. And, I have.

Wrong, not required in Texas. Next time tell them to show you that statement in writing!

He is probably referring to federal law, that states it is legal to sell a firearm to a resident of your state. Out of state transfers have to go through an ffl. If you don't ask to see an ID, and dont know the person, how do you know they didnt come from another state? Not saying I agree, but sounds like a CYA recommendation from the agent.

Re: Info asked by seller when selling gun [Re: Tim9880] #7747033 02/15/20 07:32 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Tim9880

He is probably referring to federal law, that states it is legal to sell a firearm to a resident of your state. Out of state transfers have to go through an ffl. If you don't ask to see an ID, and dont know the person, how do you know they didnt come from another state? Not saying I agree, but sounds like a CYA recommendation from the agent.

Call it whatever you want. Again, showing ID for FTF private sale is NOT required by law.

Re: Info asked by seller when selling gun [Re: tskin] #7747095 02/15/20 09:48 PM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by tskin
No digs at anyone that does, but what is purpose of seeing Drivers license or LTC or requiring bill of sale when doing a private/non dealer sale to another individual?

Thanks for explaining.

I require a DL and phone number sent to me prior and verified on transfer. Also have a bill of sale that includes language that buyer attests to legally owning a firearm and includes type of firearm and serial number. I keep the signed bill of sale in my safe.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: Info asked by seller when selling gun [Re: tskin] #7747097 02/15/20 09:51 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I have only bought a few guns off of all of the forums I am on. I pretty well already knew everything I needed to know about the seller I needed to know. First I would not buy any gun from a seller that only posts in the classifieds. Weather they admit it or not, in my opinion some of them would qualify as a dealer under the rules of ATF, my opinion that could be buying another problem that would rather not deal with.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide