Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Nightforce SHV vs Leupold VX-6HD [Re: wp75169] #7728890 01/26/20 05:49 PM
B
bholt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I understand the glass qualty is the same on the 5 & 6 and the five doesn't have the level built in it but saves some cash. They are great scopes.

B Holt
Shoot-em in the ear
Re: Nightforce SHV vs Leupold VX-6HD [Re: bholt] #7728905 01/26/20 06:21 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by bholt
I understand the glass qualty is the same on the 5 & 6 and the five doesn't have the level built in it but saves some cash. They are great scopes.

I would have bought the 5 if they had the one I wanted in stock. After owning the 6 I would still buy the 5 if both were available. The glass and the ZL2 is what I want from the package. Oh yeah, and the firedot. All can be had on the 5.

Re: Nightforce SHV vs Leupold VX-6HD [Re: aggiehunter03] #7728917 01/26/20 06:32 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by aggiehunter03
So I called Nightforce. SHV and NXS have the same glass. I had read on forums that was not the case but it is indeed.

I can buy that.

The ones that have been out to my range looked very clear. And I've done load development for a customer using his SHV. Testing and getting DOPE for him, the SHV did a fine job.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Nightforce SHV vs Leupold VX-6HD [Re: aggiehunter03] #7728927 01/26/20 06:50 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Unless they just changed it (and they could have when putting out the NX8), the NXS is better glass than the SHV. I tested them at last light about 4 or 5 years ago when I worked at Cabelas corporate office. I went with the VX6 for my 300 win mag at the time.

It is funny, because i am at the same crossroads today. I was looking at the VX6HD vs SHV vs NSX vs NX8....long story short, I am going with the VX6HD mainly because of the weight on a hunting rifle. Also, with being a Veteran, both companies give a discount when you are verified. Makes them more affordable for sure.

Bottom line is you will not be disappointed on buying any VX6HD/5HD or SHV/NXS/NX8. Great glass on all of them and you will be able to see your target clearly at last light.

Re: Nightforce SHV vs Leupold VX-6HD [Re: aggiehunter03] #7729128 01/26/20 11:04 PM
A
aggiehunter03 Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
A
I forgot to update but I bought a VX6HD. I had decided to step up to the NXS 5.5-22 vs the 3-18 VX6HD. I couldn’t decide between the 2 at all until I started trying to figure out illumination on the NXS. Guy at the store said oh you just unscrew this cap here and.....the battery and some of the guts fell out in the floor. I kindly thanked him and left with a Leupold.

By the way the adjustment on brightness is under the side cap and turn a tiny little dial with a tiny flathead screw driver. The instructions even say to be careful as it’s delicate. Awful design as far as I’m concerned and the rest of their scopes even have better designs.

Re: Nightforce SHV vs Leupold VX-6HD [Re: aggiehunter03] #7729185 01/27/20 12:01 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I can only tell you that I have a high opinion of my VX6, and my VX5HD. THe VX5HD is on my CTR and, the VX6 is on my 5R Milspec.

Built like tanks, they holds zero very well, light gathering is outstanding. The clarity and ability to pull detail and colors from brush is great. They both hold zero very well, I have CDS dials on both and dial them often. I have killed a lot of stuff 350-400 yards. These are great hunting scopes.

I have to disagree. The VX6HD is not built like a tank compared to my NF, Gen 2 Razor, and Bushnell LRHSi. The Leupold feels like an airsoft toy scope compared to those. And yes, I own all of them. It does have nice glass and excellent light transmission though.

Verylongdovename is spot on.

Instead of fretting over differences in glass, pay attention to what matters the most - will the scope work when needed?

For the price of the Leupold, buy a Nightforce NXS, even a used one, and then have a scope that will work correctly when needed.

I buy used NXS' that look like they have never been used for $1400 +/- and they will work correctly on day 1 and in 15 years from now.

Leupold might work, might not, and their warranty is worthless when the deer of a lifetime is standing in front of the broken scope.

I want equipment that works when I need it to work, not a warranty claim.

My Leupold Mark IV, then their top of the line, breaking in 2005 cured me forever.

That scope was replaced with a Nightforce NXS, which I still have and use to test new rifles.

I later bought a used rifle with a Leupold VX3 on it for a very low price, but which would not shoot.

Replacing the Leupold with a Nightforce miraculously cured the sick rifle that would not shoot straight.

Did it again on a custom rifle with a Zeiss with a beautiful wood stock handmade by Sterling Davenport, but which would not shoot consistently.

Below is the first group on that rifle purchased used that was shooting 4" - 8" groups at 100 yards.

A Nightforce replaced the Zeiss scope and below is the first three shot group after zeroing it.

As long as I am at it, don't buy cheap crap rings and bases. Weaver twist on windage adjustable bases are easily bested these days.

Buy a quality scope, use quality rings and bases, use quality ammo like Chad sells, and save money elsewhere.

Consider the cost spent on hunting every year, and buying a scope that will last a lifetime spread out over 20 or more years is not even the cost of buying a tank of fuel to go hunting.

Most "hunting" scopes sold these days have bright glass with lots of "pop" to the image, but poor quality mechanical reliability and durability.

Reliability is what matters for performance and durability is where value is found.

[Linked Image]

Re: Nightforce SHV vs Leupold VX-6HD [Re: jeffbird] #7729366 01/27/20 03:24 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
^^Jeff is spot on!

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Nightforce SHV vs Leupold VX-6HD [Re: aggiehunter03] #7743103 02/11/20 06:34 PM
T
Toney198 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I think the Night Force is the better built option, but if the ATACR is not in the price range the VX6 prob does have better glass..

SGT USMC OIF/OEF disabled vet.
Re: Nightforce SHV vs Leupold VX-6HD [Re: aggiehunter03] #7746448 02/15/20 12:22 AM
S
scottfromdallas Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I've come to the conclusion that in just about any pricing range, you can get a better scope for the same money than either a Leupold or Vortex. I don't care about the warranty.

Re: Nightforce SHV vs Leupold VX-6HD [Re: aggiehunter03] #7746736 02/15/20 12:00 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by aggiehunter03
I forgot to update but I bought a VX6HD. I had decided to step up to the NXS 5.5-22 vs the 3-18 VX6HD. I couldn’t decide between the 2 at all until I started trying to figure out illumination on the NXS. Guy at the store said oh you just unscrew this cap here and.....the battery and some of the guts fell out in the floor. I kindly thanked him and left with a Leupold.

By the way the adjustment on brightness is under the side cap and turn a tiny little dial with a tiny flathead screw driver. The instructions even say to be careful as it’s delicate. Awful design as far as I’m concerned and the rest of their scopes even have better designs.

How you liking it?

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Nightforce SHV vs Leupold VX-6HD [Re: scottfromdallas] #7746802 02/15/20 02:19 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
I've come to the conclusion that in just about any pricing range, you can get a better scope for the same money than either a Leupold or Vortex. I don't care about the warranty.

Sad day when Leupold is rolled in with Vortex.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Nightforce SHV vs Leupold VX-6HD [Re: J.G.] #7746835 02/15/20 02:47 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by FiremanJG

There is a particular forum that spends its time burning Leupold to the ground. I’m not saying it’s unfounded because I don’t know. I will say the first CDS system was designed for custom turrets and not accurate moa dialing. The ZL2 system on the 5&6 HD has dialed as expected for me. Sample of one. I sold it and that scope may have made it to your range by now.

Re: Nightforce SHV vs Leupold VX-6HD [Re: J.G.] #7746966 02/15/20 05:54 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

I'd take one over a Vortex every time BUT mid grade Leupold's are expensive and I'd rather buy a Trijicon, Burris or Bushnell in that price range. I'd buy a Nightforce over their high end optics.

Re: Nightforce SHV vs Leupold VX-6HD [Re: J.G.] #7746984 02/15/20 06:24 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Comments on this thread alone are like 10 to 1, positive for Leupold. No big deal.

Re: Nightforce SHV vs Leupold VX-6HD [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7746993 02/15/20 06:44 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

Comments on this thread alone are like 10 to 1, positive for Leupold. No big deal.

It doesn't really matter anyway. It's whatever people are happy with. Opinions are like...... everyone has one.

Re: Nightforce SHV vs Leupold VX-6HD [Re: scottfromdallas] #7747009 02/15/20 07:04 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

It doesn't really matter anyway. It's whatever people are happy with. Opinions are like...... everyone has one.

Except that lots of opinions are wrong. If a guy is going to dial, Leupold shouldn't be in the conversation.

Re: Nightforce SHV vs Leupold VX-6HD [Re: Jgraider] #7747040 02/15/20 07:53 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I have a pile of dead animals that I have dialed with Leupold, several this year. I carried a Leupold VX5HD this year about six miles on one trip, with a backpack. On that trip, shot a hog on the way in at about 250 yards about three seconds after I saw it, then a shot on a running white tail buck a few hours later. Didn't dial those, but after that trip and several miles on the front rack of an ATV, dialed it twice to kill pigs at over 300 yards. When the OP asked about a hunting scope, I told him about mine. But like I said, I'm not comparing it to NF since I've never had one and only offering what I know after about 40 years with Leupold, Burris and Bushnell. I'd like to have a look through a NF in a field setting at dusk. They're all great in the store. It'd be cool if several hunters could get together and share different views through a variety of brands at dusk.

Re: Nightforce SHV vs Leupold VX-6HD [Re: aggiehunter03] #7747062 02/15/20 08:35 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
rolleyes

Re: Nightforce SHV vs Leupold VX-6HD [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7747120 02/15/20 10:33 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
. But like I said, I'm not comparing it to NF since I've never had one and only offering what I know after about 40 years with Leupold, Burris and Bushnell. I'd like to have a look through a NF in a field setting at dusk. They're all great in the store. It'd be cool if several hunters could get together and share different views through a variety of brands at dusk.

NF is illuminated.

Re: Nightforce SHV vs Leupold VX-6HD [Re: Jgraider] #7747137 02/15/20 11:05 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Jgraider
. But like I said, I'm not comparing it to NF since I've never had one and only offering what I know after about 40 years with Leupold, Burris and Bushnell. I'd like to have a look through a NF in a field setting at dusk. They're all great in the store. It'd be cool if several hunters could get together and share different views through a variety of brands at dusk.

NF is illuminated.

Is the subject Leupold also?

Re: Nightforce SHV vs Leupold VX-6HD [Re: Jgraider] #7747163 02/16/20 12:09 AM
I
ImTheReasonDovesMourn Offline
Snarky Mark
Snarky Mark
I

NF is illuminated.

I can directly compare them since I own both. I'm telling you right now, the Nightforce NX8 is as good in low light as the Leupold VX6HD. That's not to say that the Leopold isn't a nice optic, because it is, and it should be since it's their top-of-the-line scope. But it's out of its league beside the Nightforce. Unless you're so mesmerized by that gold ring that you can't see the difference.

Originally Posted by KRoyal
Haha yea I polished that thing for hours.
Re: Nightforce SHV vs Leupold VX-6HD [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #7747174 02/16/20 12:31 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

NF is illuminated.

I can directly compare them since I own both. I'm telling you right now, the Nightforce NX8 is as good in low light as the Leupold VX6HD. That's not to say that the Leopold isn't a nice optic, because it is, and it should be since it's their top-of-the-line scope. But it's out of its league beside the Nightforce. Unless you're so mesmerized by that gold ring that you can't see the difference.

I can't see the difference because I've never looked through one, as I posted. I also posted some performance facts of the scope I wrote about. Nothing mesmerizes me, but I am proud of the animals I have put on the ground while looking through this optic. I don't think it is their top of the line scope in terms of price. As for differences, tell me the difference in price and weight, since you have both, please. Myself, I don't need the extreme durability of a NF.

Re: Nightforce SHV vs Leupold VX-6HD [Re: aggiehunter03] #7747184 02/16/20 12:58 AM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
ITRDM just out of curiosity, has the Leupold failed in anyway? Not defending it against NF because I know NF is mechanically superior generally. In fact I think the only thing close to a NF is the SS 5-20 mechanically.

Re: Nightforce SHV vs Leupold VX-6HD [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7747186 02/16/20 12:59 AM
I
Snarky Mark
Snarky Mark
I

NF is illuminated.

I can't see the difference because I've never looked through one, as I posted. I also posted some performance facts of the scope I wrote about. Nothing mesmerizes me, but I am proud of the animals I have put on the ground while looking through this optic. I don't think it is their top of the line scope in terms of price. As for differences, tell me the difference in price and weight, since you have both, please. Myself, I don't need the extreme durability of a NF.

I already compared them for you, NP Junior. I'm proud of the animals I've killed with a slingshot, or a bow, or iron sights, my bare hands, a stick, baseball bat, a blowgun........ That has nothing to do with quality scopes. It's not hard to find out the price and weight of any scope on earth if you pay your Google bill. [middlefingeremoji]

Re: Nightforce SHV vs Leupold VX-6HD [Re: wp75169] #7747193 02/16/20 01:09 AM
I
Snarky Mark
Snarky Mark
I
Originally Posted by wp75169
ITRDM just out of curiosity, has the Leupold failed in anyway? Not defending it against NF because I know NF is mechanically superior generally. In fact I think the only thing close to a NF is the SS 5-20 mechanically.

Not at all, WP. I haven't dialed it at all, but it holds zero at 100 after many rounds and the image quality is very nice. I like the scope for what it is. The only thing that is a negative for me, personally, is that it has a duplex reticle and it's impossible to holdover with any kind of precision. The turrets will dial elevation, but there's not much time to dial in some hunting situations, so I'd like to have a reticle that I could use to hold elevation at least. Especially for the price of a VX6. I have a feeling if you met me at the range and compared it to my NF, you'd have the same opinion that I do.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide