Forum Statistics
Forums45
Topics443,771
Posts6,438,608
Members66,170
Most Online19,184
Feb 5th, 2020
Print Thread
Lease Terrell, Crockett, Irion and surrounding counties? #7746296 02/14/20 09:48 PM
D
DGP-Texan Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
My friends and I (total of 6) have had less-than-the-best of luck finding an affordable turn-key lease. We'd be happy with a lease on our own or with another group of God-fearing conservative land managers in the areas of Terrell, Crockett, Irion, Reagan or Upton counties. We prefer blinds, feeders, corn, etc. all to be provided - or we could arrange other monetary settlements. We all live and work in Amarillo. Three of the six of us have hunted together - pheasant, quail, deer, dove, etc. for over 20+ years. We're not afraid to put in some sweat-equity to better the property and hunting assets. We're all on the hunt, so to speak, for a place with year-round access where we could bring family, grandkids, and buddy hunters. We'd like a place with beds, kitchen, skinning facilities, the works. I know I have painted a tall order, but we all know there are places like this out there. We've come off a place in Terrell County where we have hunted since c.2014 and now the landowner wants to sell. We're open to MLD properties and the like. I appreciate your help - in advance.

Re: Lease Terrell, Crockett, Irion and surrounding counties? [Re: DGP-Texan] #7746337 02/14/20 10:30 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
welcome But, dang, that is a tall order. But at least you have manners. up 'Sounds like you boys are doing well in Amarillo and have the means to pay for such a lease. Best of luck to you all and good hunting.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Lease Terrell, Crockett, Irion and surrounding counties? [Re: DGP-Texan] #7746363 02/14/20 10:50 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Another welcome and best of luck to you!

texas flag [Linked Image]

Re: Lease Terrell, Crockett, Irion and surrounding counties? [Re: DGP-Texan] #7746473 Yesterday at 12:53 AM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
K
Define “affordable”.

Re: Lease Terrell, Crockett, Irion and surrounding counties? [Re: DGP-Texan] #7746614 Yesterday at 03:13 AM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
welcome

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Lease Terrell, Crockett, Irion and surrounding counties? [Re: krmitchell] #7746936 Yesterday at 05:04 PM
D
DGP-Texan Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
To KRMitchell - if you have knowledge of a facility for lease, i'll engage. I admit that everyone has their own idea of affordable and it is all relative. We were paying c.2,800 per seat in Terrell County for year-round access. The property was NOT under MLD and Terrell County is a 2-buck County. We had a roof over our head, plenty of bunks, indoor facilities, outdoor fire pit, skinning shed, a large cooler that worked better on some days and not so good on the others. There were roughly 13 different blinds/feeders and the manager was expected to keep the feeders full year-round. Last I looked Terrell County had published a population of 328 - not many folks. I've seen more deer than that on this place over the past 7 or so years. This place was roughly 3,000 acres and had lots of deer almost every year until 2018 where all the deer were small. The landowner wanted to leave the property idle for one season. ONce that 2019 season was over, we recently heard through the manager that the landowner was putting the place up for sale and that we'd have to move elsewhere. There were somewhere between 10-to-15 guns on the place every year. This place is what I would consider affordable - by no means anything fancy or uptown - just live-able with lots of opportunity. This place's best asset was the isolation and solitude which I think makes a hunt all that more enjoyable. We all need an opportunity to unplug from it all.

Re: Lease Terrell, Crockett, Irion and surrounding counties? [Re: DGP-Texan] #7747003 Yesterday at 07:01 PM
F
freerange Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
F
I cant point you to a place so maybe I should just stay quite. But since you are new to the forum ill point out that this forum is all about guys putting in their 2 cents rather asked or not. My first advice is always the same for anyone looking for a lease and that's to go to leasehunter.com.
What you are looking for is a pretty tall order, as you know, and especially if you are limiting the area. From my point of view if you are ok with having 10-15 guns on 3000 acre then you may find it at 2800 each. Everyone looks for something different in a lease but if you want to hunt older age class bucks over the long haul then I would suggest cutting the number hunters in half at least. That doubles your price to over 5000. A lot are willing to pay that and more but the vast majority of average hunters are not.
I guess my summary would be that if you are ok with a acre to hunter ratio of 200 to 300 ac per man then your 2800 price is out there. Narrowing it down to those counties and with the amenities you want it would be "possible". In the real world I think the chances of finding it would be real slim. I don't mean to be a downer but trying to point out you may have a hard row to hoe. I don't claim to know it all by any means and others please correct me if im wrong. In any case I welcome you to the forum and best of luck finding a place.

Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Lease Terrell, Crockett, Irion and surrounding counties? [Re: DGP-Texan] #7747373 9 hours ago
T
Txduckman Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
T
Since they and everyone is selling these days, good luck finding a place!! New LO will just sit on it hardly hunting. Won't be much left to lease soon. JMO from from my friends who have bought places.

Re: Lease Terrell, Crockett, Irion and surrounding counties? [Re: DGP-Texan] #7747390 5 hours ago
D
don k Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
10 to 15 hunters on 3000 acres in that part of Texas. WOW

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide