Forums46
Topics536,986
Posts9,719,144
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Have you ever talked someone out of committing suicide? [Re: HVILLE HNTR] #7745635 02/14/20 04:44 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by HVILLE HNTR
New update that just came in on the original story that started this thread. I just don’t get it.....Someone please help me understand why someone would do this? Was some terrible secret about to be exposed that he did not want his family to know about or did he kill his wife in a fit of rage and did not want his kids to have to deal with the aftermath?

I live less than 3 miles from where this occurred. To say this has shocked the entire community is an understatement. This guy was a role model and well respected. I ask again....How and why????

https://abc13.com/dad-attempted-to-strangle-daughter-before-killing-himself-police-say/5928598/

You're thinking about a motive with a sane mind, so it doesn't make sense. He was obviously very mentally ill, to do what he did, will never make sense.

Re: Have you ever talked someone out of committing suicide? [Re: Texas Dan] #7745746 02/14/20 01:10 PM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
It is from being so focused on yourself and your issues that that takes presedence over everything and anyone else. The same reason people are depressed for the most part it is self loathing, in short it is the work of the devil.
God tells us that those who are first will be last and those who are last shall be first. He tells us to put others over ourselves, Jesus came to serve and not be served, He says to focus on what is good and lovely and admirable because it will steer you in the right direction.
The Bible tells us to renew our minds daily....that means to take what you have learned from scripture and use it to do good....if you "follow your heart" as everyone wants to say these days I can assure you that it will lead you down paths that are far from God for most people.
Synopsis....resist the devil and he will flee....call on Jesus and He will come.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Have you ever talked someone out of committing suicide? [Re: Texas Dan] #7745774 02/14/20 01:40 PM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
(Have you ever talked someone out of committing suicide?)

Maybe one, he showed all of the signs and talked about the end but never came right out and said he was going to do it.
Unfortunately I know to many that have, some way to close.

I agree it is selfish but I am not mad at any of them that did, disappointed yes, sad absolutely.

Last edited by Stub; 02/14/20 01:41 PM.

texas flag

Re: Have you ever talked someone out of committing suicide? [Re: Texas Dan] #7745808 02/14/20 02:07 PM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
From reading every post in this thread what I think is that some of you are around/know a lot of people who attempt/succeed at suicide. I wonder if that has any relevance? Or any relevance that I have never experienced this with anyone close at all.

I have worked with hundreds of kids who were self harming and would threaten suicide daily, but never had one go through with it. Theirs was simply attention.

That anyone gets to point of doing this is horribly sad and whatever your belief, compassion and empathy should be should be the foundation of that belief.

Proverbs 2
Re: Have you ever talked someone out of committing suicide? [Re: RattlesnakeDan] #7745833 02/14/20 02:22 PM
D
Ders26 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan
About 7 years ago I had a guy coming over on Sunday morning to pick up a hog trap. I usually go to church but the Lord told me to be a man of my word, the one coming was going to be a man of his word. It was a young man that showed up and I sensed that he was going through some troubles and I asked if I could pray over him. He said yes. During and after praying, he broke down and was sobbing like a baby. You see, he was going to commit suicide that morning but he remembered he made a promise to me to come buy a trap and so he decided to put it off until later that day. He gave his life to the Lord that day and still calls me from time to time.

up

Re: Have you ever talked someone out of committing suicide? [Re: Texas Dan] #7745995 02/14/20 04:58 PM
H
Hooker Offline
Patriarch
Patriarch
H
Not quite the same, however, A few years ago I was with my BIL and he mentioned he was terribly upset (as he normally was often) because he thought he might be in love with a neighbor, when he asked me what I would do and my answer "Hell, Bill, think I'd just shoot myself", 35 mins later at my house the Police arrived and started questioning me about his death by shooting, he had shot himself and had left a note telling that I had suggested it , not a happy time.

"Happiness is more important then spilled jelly"

Re: Have you ever talked someone out of committing suicide? [Re: Hooker] #7746024 02/14/20 05:44 PM
B
Bass&More Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Hooker
Not quite the same, however, A few years ago I was with my BIL and he mentioned he was terribly upset (as he normally was often) because he thought he might be in love with a neighbor, when he asked me what I would do and my answer "Hell, Bill, think I'd just shoot myself", 35 mins later at my house the Police arrived and started questioning me about his death by shooting, he had shot himself and had left a note telling that I had suggested it , not a happy time.

[Linked Image]

peep

Re: Have you ever talked someone out of committing suicide? [Re: KWood_TSU] #7746057 02/14/20 06:15 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
Suicide is a permanent solution for a temporary problem, hence it being the most selfish thing a person can do.

I've always heard too that people who try and fail are glad they did fail.

Nice quote from the Cliche of the Month Club. Unfortunately it isn't true.

Re: Have you ever talked someone out of committing suicide? [Re: Hooker] #7746058 02/14/20 06:16 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Hooker

Dang, that's rough. I have to think he had already decided what he was going to do before your conversation, it's just crappy that he put it in his note.

Like bigpig said, I've talked a few off the ledge so to speak, but I'm convinced none of them were really serious about doing it to begin with. I've worked a lot of them after the fact over the past 25 years and I've come to a conclusion concerning the selfish thing. I do think suicide is a very selfish act, but I don't necessarily believe all of those who do it are selfish people. When a person gets to the point mentally that they see taking their own life as the only way out, they're not thinking the same way "normal" people think. Their brains are tracking on an entirely different plane. On that plane, their families and friends will be better off with them out of the picture. Trying to rationalize that decision using our own thought process for comparison just doesn't work. It doesn't mean I don't catch myself being pissed at the people for doing it, I just have to remind myself that their minds weren't working on a rational level.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Have you ever talked someone out of committing suicide? [Re: Texas Dan] #7746068 02/14/20 06:32 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I've talked 6 buddies out of it and 2 eventually did it. All had either served with me or before me and it just sucks, things get that bad in someones head.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Have you ever talked someone out of committing suicide? [Re: Texas Dan] #7746127 02/14/20 07:29 PM
R
rolyat.nosaj Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
I have never talked someone out of suicide but I have had my fair share tears from others doing it. The worst time of my life was going through my divorce and a few people helped me out. There is truth in that statement that suicide is a permanent fix to a temporary problem. I don't know if life gets better or you just learn how to mange it better. People suck.

Last edited by rolyat.nosaj; 02/14/20 07:29 PM.
Re: Have you ever talked someone out of committing suicide? [Re: Choctaw] #7746177 02/14/20 08:02 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by Choctaw
Suicide is a permanent solution for a temporary problem, hence it being the most selfish thing a person can do.

I disagree. Tell me how it isn't

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Have you ever talked someone out of committing suicide? [Re: KWood_TSU] #7746211 02/14/20 08:32 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S

My uncles brother went from completely healthy to paralyzed from the chest down. He didn’t like it and there was no solution so he killed himself. My uncle had to clean his brains off his moms wall. It was a permanent solution to a permanent problem.

Re: Have you ever talked someone out of committing suicide? [Re: Texas Dan] #7746258 02/14/20 09:14 PM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
I don't think I talked anyone out of suicide, but I got one woman that was headed that way into treatment, In 1980 it wasn't easy to get someone into Army Mental Health Counseling, I had a woman in the Drug & Alcohol Program that couldn't release her emotions, things would build up then when she would drink, she would explode and all the emotions would come out. I finally talked the Company Commander into signing off on the referral for a Mental Health evaluation that I wrote. She started getting treatment and was much improved, when I left, without any more Alcohol Related Incidents. Without treatment I could see her offing herself.

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Re: Have you ever talked someone out of committing suicide? [Re: Texas Dan] #7746269 02/14/20 09:27 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I'll add this to my earlier comment.
When I was in high school, a good friend of mine put a shotgun under his chin and pulled the trigger while he was on the phone with his girlfriend who was breaking up with him. His little sister (much younger than us) walked in and found him, and I focused on that for several years and had some pretty hard feelings about it. I finally came to the conclusion that I wasn't living in his skin and I had no idea what was going on in his mind when he did it. I distinctly remember when I worked my first shotgun suicide after I became a police officer, the first thing that I thought of was him and what his little sister must have experienced.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Have you ever talked someone out of committing suicide? [Re: Grizz] #7746286 02/14/20 09:40 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
The voices in my head haven't turned on me yet...............but I keep a good eye on them.

You can quote Take on that one.

Re: Have you ever talked someone out of committing suicide? [Re: SapperTitan] #7746353 02/14/20 10:43 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by SapperTitan

My uncles brother went from completely healthy to paralyzed from the chest down. He didn’t like it and there was no solution so he killed himself. My uncle had to clean his brains off his moms wall. It was a permanent solution to a permanent problem.

I disagree, that's not a permanent problem. Just because he didn't like it doesn't mean it was okay to do.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide