Forums46
Topics537,766
Posts9,728,916
Members87,039
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Info asked by seller when selling gun [Re: dogcatcher] #7747257 02/16/20 02:22 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
I have only bought a few guns off of all of the forums I am on. I pretty well already knew everything I needed to know about the seller I needed to know. First I would not buy any gun from a seller that only posts in the classifieds. Weather they admit it or not, in my opinion some of them would qualify as a dealer under the rules of ATF, my opinion that could be buying another problem that would rather not deal with.

I think it is possible whoever bought the rifle from me on here that led to ATF contacting me, might have been caught up in an unlicensed dealing sting. After looking at the buyer's last posts on related forums, that buyer appeared to have been buying and selling several guns between forums. Their posts were only on classified boards and they had sold a lot of guns that were current year brand new too. They had stopped posting here and stopped responding to posts everywhere a week or two before that ATF phone call to me. Not that it matters when I got that call, my FFL had expired. The ATF person came over with a strong arm voice demanding my records thinking I still had the FFL. I told them in that initial call that I don't have to provide them crap because I was no longer an FFL, that it was the only rifle I had sold in three years, but that I did have the persons name and driver's license and would call them back later. The ATF person was much nicer on my return call. I was really glad I had that information to take me out of the trace not knowing what the "criminal" reason was for them doing it.

Re: Info asked by seller when selling gun [Re: tskin] #7747261 02/16/20 02:29 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I've given two away to THFers. No paperwork at all.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Info asked by seller when selling gun [Re: dogcatcher] #7747268 02/16/20 02:39 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe

Originally Posted by Halfadozen
Originally Posted by tskin
No digs at anyone that does, but what is purpose of seeing Drivers license or LTC or requiring bill of sale when doing a private/non dealer sale to another individual?

Thanks for explaining.

I require a DL and phone number sent to me prior and verified on transfer. Also have a bill of sale that includes language that buyer attests to legally owning a firearm and includes type of firearm and serial number. I keep the signed bill of sale in my safe.

Though I seldom sell a firearm, that is basically what I have done by putting that disclaimer with the add so not to waste anyone's time who refuses. With my 03FFL license I also must have that information for my bound book when buying a firearm that is a Curio and Relic or over 50 years old. I have had much more trouble getting a copy of drivers license from non FFL sellers than I have from non FFL buyers. Since I renewed my FFL, it's just not possible for me to legally buy a C&R without that information.

Re: Info asked by seller when selling gun [Re: tskin] #7747274 02/16/20 02:53 AM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
I wonder how many of the sellers requiring a copy of the buyers ID would be willing to do the same? Are you willing to give the buyer a copy of your ID? I’m not giving anyone a copy of my ID or LTC. I’d show it to someone but that is it. If I wanted to buy a gun and the seller wanted a copy I’d be happy to do the transfer through an FFL but I’m not giving someone a copy of of my ID that not only has my full name but home address and DL number on it.

Re: Info asked by seller when selling gun [Re: krmitchell] #7747302 02/16/20 03:50 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Originally Posted by krmitchell
I wonder how many of the sellers requiring a copy of the buyers ID would be willing to do the same? Are you willing to give the buyer a copy of your ID? I’m not giving anyone a copy of my ID or LTC. I’d show it to someone but that is it. If I wanted to buy a gun and the seller wanted a copy I’d be happy to do the transfer through an FFL but I’m not giving someone a copy of of my ID that not only has my full name but home address and DL number on it.

As I said in my last post, it encountered more sellers refusing to provide identification than buyers. I can see how unlicensed individuals who sell guns frequently would not want to sell to FFLs or to other individuals asking for documentation. The last thing an unlicensed dealer would want is for reverse traces to start drawing attention to them. There are lots of articles online about various cases of online sellers both who knew they were doing something illegal and others who unjustly got put through the ringer over only a few gun sells. Or even a single sell like the gun show seller that got caught up in unlicensed dealing sting who unknowingly bought a gun from an undercover agent then sold it to another undercover for a profit a short time later same day.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide