Print Thread
Change proposed in Wyoming #7743979 02/12/20 04:34 PM
W
Wytex Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
This is getting lots of comments on other forums.
The bill will not pass this year, even the outfitters association has come out against it but the 90/10 % split may come up again and pass in the future.

https://legiscan.com/WY/bill/SF0094/2020

Even as NR you should voice your concerns with our folks making decisions. Here are the folks on the committee that will make the decision to pass this bill on to the legislature:
Ogden.Driskill@wyoleg.gov
Liisa.Anselmi-Dalton@wyoleg.gov
Tom.James@wyoleg.gov
Glenn.Moniz@wyoleg.gov
Jeff.Wasserburger@wyoleg.gov

Re: Change proposed in Wyoming [Re: Wytex] #7744272 02/12/20 10:09 PM
B
Bullet Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
We go to Wyoming each year and a buddy just sent to me and I am sure it is the same thing.

https://www.gohunt.com/read/INSIDER/new-bill-will-severely-impact-nonresident-hunters-in-wyoming

Re: Change proposed in Wyoming [Re: Wytex] #7744293 02/12/20 10:30 PM
W
Wytex Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
Bill failed in committee, only the sponsor voted in favor of it.

Re: Change proposed in Wyoming [Re: Wytex] #7744381 02/13/20 12:11 AM
H
hollidayHunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
That's good to hear. I see that Idaho is also trying to do this. I can't believe they are trying to cut out all of the millions of dollars that NR hunters bring into the state every year.

That's my $.02. Here's you're change!!
Re: Change proposed in Wyoming [Re: Wytex] #7744399 02/13/20 12:34 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Wytex

banana2

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Change proposed in Wyoming [Re: Wytex] #7744841 02/13/20 04:02 PM
T
TKandMike Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Wytex

duel

Re: Change proposed in Wyoming [Re: hollidayHunter] #7745213 02/13/20 09:48 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by hollidayHunter
That's good to hear. I see that Idaho is also trying to do this. I can't believe they are trying to cut out all of the millions of dollars that NR hunters bring into the state every year.

Look at what Arkansas has done with nr duck hunters. It's mind boggling

Re: Change proposed in Wyoming [Re: Wytex] #7745457 02/14/20 01:30 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Alaska increased all NR licenses and tags exactly double in one year from 2016 to 2017. I don't know if they did anything about the number allocated for NR hunters, but the price increase really sucked.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Change proposed in Wyoming [Re: Wytex] #7745511 02/14/20 02:23 AM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Sadly it is like everything else you want to introduce your kids to...the price has skyrocketed to the point that it is too expensive to justify.

When states increase fees like that it looks like exactly what it is...the state saying we don't want you to fly or drive here and spend your money.

(Expletive deleted) them. In Texas we have more exotic game, some of it free roaming, than any other state. I will keep my money at home.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: Change proposed in Wyoming [Re: Wytex] #7746225 02/14/20 08:47 PM
W
Wytex Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
Youth licenses are still very reasonable but you know, Wyoming manages it's wildlife for it's residents, just like Texas.
Good for you staying home to hunt, opens up opportunities for those who really want the experience of hunting the West.

Re: Change proposed in Wyoming [Re: Wytex] #7747847 02/17/20 12:04 AM
S
SowHntr Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S
dam@! That’s more than Colorado! I quit putting in for Colorado’s preference points bc they now make you buy the small game license to even apply. We had been putting in for Wyoming and are heading that way this year. I don’t get it either. They make it so much more for a non resident. Texas, my tag is $68 for all legal game we have to offer, non resident $315. Come and enjoy. We have a party of 7 that will not go to colardo often now. That’s a lot of fuel, hotels, and groceries they are missing out on, including the tag, hunting, and fishing license.

Re: Change proposed in Wyoming [Re: Wytex] #7747863 02/17/20 12:24 AM
W
Whiptail Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
W

The real downside to these selfish state policies is the non-residents won't give a crap when the government sells off the public lands in Wyoming.

Re: Change proposed in Wyoming [Re: Wytex] #7748204 02/17/20 03:40 PM
W
Wytex Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
Hummm, selfish to manage our wildlife for the residents, not entitled much are you.
If the Feds ever sell off lands it will be to the states.

We pay for each tag we have to draw or buy, pretty sure you can't just buy a $315 tag and hunt elk, antelope, mule deer, whitetails, moose, bison, bighorn sheep or mt goat in Texas.
You forgot top figure in the price of a lease or guided hunt.

You are very welcome to come up and recreate on those federal lands, the state will manage the wildlife though, just like in Texas, and limit what you can hunt. The courts have affirmed our right to do that, as it has for all states.

Re: Change proposed in Wyoming [Re: Wytex] #7748382 02/17/20 07:46 PM
S
SowHntr Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S
In the right areas we have free range elk, axis, Nalgai, fallow, blackbuck, aoudad, whitetail, mule deer, turkey, and pigs. Correct most on private land. And yes your $315 hunting license allows you to take any of those game animals within the legal season.

My point was my buddy In Colorado pays $46 for an elk tag, as I non resident we pay $660, ouch.

Re: Change proposed in Wyoming [Re: Wytex] #7748572 02/18/20 12:27 AM
F
Fitzwho Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Y'all got me cracking my knuckles again...

SowHntr, Colorado is still one of the cheaper states to apply in. If you haven't looked at Arizona or Nevada, you should, both have mandatory, non-refundable $155-160 NR licenses required to apply and build points. Then you'll go back to applying in CO. Even with the qualifying license in CO, it costs me $138 to apply for 5 species. I spend $230 a year in Nevada and with how their point system works I could apply every year for another 30 and still never draw a single tag.

Western States have the right to cater to their residents when it comes to hunting, as set forth in at least one court case that made it to the Supreme Court.

Yes, Non-residents pay for 70% (on average) of Fish and Game department budgets, while only allotted 10% of the tags (much better percentages in Wyoming than 10%). 10% of people applying in the state paying for 70% of the budget sounds crazy. Buying a $90 license to apply is relatively cheap compared to other states, as mentioned above. Where Colorado needs to look is having anyone that wants to recreate on lands in the state be required to buy at least a habitat stamp ($10). If they think they made a bunch of money off having non-resident applicants buy qualifying licenses, imagine how much money they could get by getting all the people pressuring animals the other 8 months of the year hiking and mountain biking to fork over $10 to cover trail maintenance, etc. It would likely be over $100,000,000.

I think that there are some major discrepancies in how the tag allocations and pricing work out. Montana being the widest of those for sure. $20 Res Elk tag/$884 Non-res elk; $16 vs $619 for deer, etc. When I plan my hunts I am more than happy to pay for these tags. I budget and plan for years for some of these tags. When I finally find the time to go hunt elk in Montana it will have cost me over $1000 in points and the tag. But if you want to hunt Montana and not live there, that is just what you have to do.

What burns most people is when the states want to limit non-resident opportunities even further, as this bill would have done. Wyoming is pretty much the most generous when it comes to NR hunters, losing that would definitely be a blow to guys like me. While still wanting the now much fewer non-residents to pay the same percentage of the annual budget, putting no additional onus on the residents. It makes no sense to me. If residents want to see non-residents further limited, at some point they are going to have to be willing pay.

There are guys in every state that want 0 non-resident hunters running around, but they will also be the first ones to try and bankrupt their own F&G by boycotting any price increase that they have to endure. I will literally quit applying for a state and feel just fine about it when they cut all the NR tags and start charging residents at least $300-400 for an elk tag. One less state to be obsessed with.

As far as the public lands thing. I get what Whiptail is saying, and both agree and disagree with both him and Wytex partly at least on the public lands stuff... Yes, the lands would return to state control, not be sold directly by the federal government to private individuals. But most western state constitutions require that State Land be profitable or it be sold. Which is why many western states have only small percentages of the original lands they were granted at Statehood. Wyoming is nice enought to allow access on state lands, but some are not so generous. Colorado for instance has 2.9 million acres of state land. About 90% of which is restricted access (not public lands). So if the US Forest Service were to be dissolved, we would lose public access to 16 million acres of public land in Colorado immediately... As there wouldn't be any income from tags from hunting on those lands, the F&G couldn't afford to lease any of those lands either. Also, states don't have the spending power to fight forest fires, the first big fire would cause a mass sell off of what were once public lands.

Permian_Skullworks on Instagram
Re: Change proposed in Wyoming [Re: Wytex] #7748693 02/18/20 01:42 AM
W
Wytex Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
Well said Fitzwho.
I don't think most residents here want to severely limit NR hunting, however we do want a good portion of our most coveted tags for residents; moose, sheep and some LQ elk tags.
Right now NR get 25% of those. Some species NR get way more than the allotted quota in the initial split, leftovers not drawn by residents go right into the NR draw for antelope, deer and elk.
Many residents also realize we need to step up and pay more for our tags but we are not the ones that keep putting that off, the legislature does.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide