Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Breeding value of Bucks [Re: Texas buckeye] #7743970 02/12/20 04:14 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Base on the info you provide the flaw I see is making assumptions for the buck sired before it reaches maturity in an ideal environment population and forage being the primary driver to fully express the genetic potential of the sired buck.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Breeding value of Bucks [Re: Texas buckeye] #7743978 02/12/20 04:32 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
"For sure, but then you get away from the LF nature of the study and start talking breeding pens...we all know breeding pens work and can create some absolute monster deer. We see them on nearly every HF game ranch for a reason." This is definitely an unwarranted assertion. Nowhere did I get away from LF and into breeding pens. Our place is technically low fence and has no (zero) breeding pens.

"BUT, the conditions of the study were to mimic LF native deer herd. In that herd, they found almost all the bucks did some breeding, not just the big strong massive deer. That presumption (only the biggest and strongest deer breed nearly all the doe) is just false and it is probably the reason some folks have issue with this study. When you start with a faulty assumption about actual deer behavior, you will make a faulty conclusion. Real deer behavior is real deer behavior. As soon as we manipulate a doe breeding with a mature 20 pointer, then we are not allowing deer behavior to happen and it is man made behavior. I am sure you understand my point here." Of course all male deer attempt and are successful at breeding does - no kidding. Too many does come in estrus for 24 hours or so and at the same time. The bigger bucks just cannot breed them all. That is exactly why you cull out the inferior herd members so they do not pass along their undesired genetics. When a doe gets in heat, she will get covered by whichever buck is closest to her - that is what happens in nature. They do not look for the biggest rack of horns or best body, they look for who is available. If one is not available, another's genes get passed on. Who is available is determined by proximity, strength and those bucks hunters allow to survive.

"And again, you are making the point for the study by what you said...the doe had a big influence here. Now, please tell me, how do we identify which doe are the ones that will create big influences? If you can do that in a LF native deer population, you have a blank check written for ya." Exactly, I could not have said it any better. Without ear tags (and we don't have any) you can only control the buck to doe ratio. Keep your numbers in line. I think it was Al Brothers who said that is the 1st step of any management process.

Re: Breeding value of Bucks [Re: Texas buckeye] #7743987 02/12/20 04:45 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
Originally Posted by titan2232
We had two very pronounced set of genetics on our place before the anthrax hit. Wide main frame 10-12's with no kickers and tall and heavy with split brows, G2's, and G3's.

There were few and far between of anything else and absolutely zero spikes to be seen.

Low fence deer that stayed on our property or an adjacent property that was not allowed to be hunted. So long story short I 100% believe our breeder bucks passed on their genetics well. 2cents

So this post just bites at me from a biological standpoint. Mainly because most bucks that are fawned in an area go through a process called dispersal where around age 1.5-2.5 they leave, and don’t come back. This has been verified across many states through many studies. It just happens.

Who stays? Mainly the doe. A few bucks will stay, but the buck dispersal range is anywhere from 1-10 miles, rarely even more. So unless your place is ginormous or HF, the more likely scenario is your doe passed on that trait. Or your neighbors bucks that hit your doe during the rut.

Just one more example of why this study doesn’t work with a HF population and whyHF genetics can be more “controlled” even without explicit breeder pens. The deer don’t follow normal behaviors and dispersal goes to nothing and you don’t have to worry about your neighbors “infecting” their bad genetics into “your” herd.

Generally our younger bucks carried no obvious trait to distinguish them on a yearly basis so yes they may leave, but we have tracked returning mature deer on our place from the day we started. Even collected pictures from the previous group and not only do we see the same bucks every year, but they're often seen in only certain portions of our ranch or the "sanctuary" next to us.

We acquire pretty sold data for nearly 50K acres around us and these few ranches have identical genetics as us and this has been the case for the better part of 20 years.

My million dollar question: Why do we suddenly have spikes or inferior younger bucks showing up when this has never been the case on our place or anyplace close to us? Anthrax has changed things that I do not understand

confused2

Re: Breeding value of Bucks [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7743988 02/12/20 04:47 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Base on the info you provide the flaw I see is making assumptions for the buck sired before it reaches maturity in an ideal environment population and forage being the primary driver to fully express the genetic potential of the sired buck.

This study was carried out for 13 years...I think they have enough data to make assumptions about antler growth in mature deer.

Again, this was a well managed LF large ranch. This wasn't some couple year study looking at a few deer, thousands of bucks were netted and measured, weighed, sampled, and released. They understood they could not get every buck out there, but they got every one they could and that was a lot of deer over 13 years. I am pretty sure they can make assumptions based on antler size at maturity in several generations.

Re: Breeding value of Bucks [Re: Hudbone] #7743996 02/12/20 04:59 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Hudbone
"For sure, but then you get away from the LF nature of the study and start talking breeding pens...we all know breeding pens work and can create some absolute monster deer. We see them on nearly every HF game ranch for a reason." This is definitely an unwarranted assertion. Nowhere did I get away from LF and into breeding pens. Our place is technically low fence and has no (zero) breeding pens.

"BUT, the conditions of the study were to mimic LF native deer herd. In that herd, they found almost all the bucks did some breeding, not just the big strong massive deer. That presumption (only the biggest and strongest deer breed nearly all the doe) is just false and it is probably the reason some folks have issue with this study. When you start with a faulty assumption about actual deer behavior, you will make a faulty conclusion. Real deer behavior is real deer behavior. As soon as we manipulate a doe breeding with a mature 20 pointer, then we are not allowing deer behavior to happen and it is man made behavior. I am sure you understand my point here." Of course all male deer attempt and are successful at breeding does - no kidding. Too many does come in estrus for 24 hours or so and at the same time. The bigger bucks just cannot breed them all. That is exactly why you cull out the inferior herd members so they do not pass along their undesired genetics. When a doe gets in heat, she will get covered by whichever buck is closest to her - that is what happens in nature. They do not look for the biggest rack of horns or best body, they look for who is available. If one is not available, another's genes get passed on. Who is available is determined by proximity, strength and those bucks hunters allow to survive.

"And again, you are making the point for the study by what you said...the doe had a big influence here. Now, please tell me, how do we identify which doe are the ones that will create big influences? If you can do that in a LF native deer population, you have a blank check written for ya." Exactly, I could not have said it any better. Without ear tags (and we don't have any) you can only control the buck to doe ratio. Keep your numbers in line. I think it was Al Brothers who said that is the 1st step of any management process.

I wasn't saying you had pens, but your example of "if that doe bred with a mature 20 pointer" would be introducing pens to the equation, as the only way to ensure the doe bred that specific 20 pointer is to put them in a pen when she is cycling. I know you know that, but was just clarifying how that is exactly what HF pen breeders do and we know that works. But it isn't natural nor applicable to any LF ranch or this study.

The rest of what you said is spot on
up

Re: Breeding value of Bucks [Re: Texas buckeye] #7744003 02/12/20 05:07 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I wont pretend to know everything about genetics or to even have a good understanding, but I do believe that it is far more complicated than the punnett square's we all played with in school.

There are so many factors, number of points, tine length, spread, beam length, mass, shape of the rack, placement of the points, why one deer will have 14 points with double G4's and only double G4's and nothing else, browtines or none, forked G2's and why are they so much more common than forked other tines. What is dominant and what is recessive? I can only assume that what is most often seen/expressed is dominant, I would guess something like a typical 8 pt?

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Breeding value of Bucks [Re: Texas buckeye] #7744004 02/12/20 05:08 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
you might not be able to completely decide who breeds who, but you can help to decide who does not breed who.

Re: Breeding value of Bucks [Re: Hudbone] #7744033 02/12/20 05:43 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
you might not be able to completely decide who breeds who, but you can help to decide who does not breed who.

It’s not the nots, or the who’s unless you are going to gene swamp with a DMP pen. Reason the process/tool exists and is so popular.

Control what you can truly control via the actual effective resources available To you.

Rest is just agruing over fly poop.

Vast majority of leases in TX don’t even have enough tags or want to manage Does correctly but let’s agrue over if one buck will actually breed more then one doe this year...

We over think this way to much.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Breeding value of Bucks [Re: Hudbone] #7744037 02/12/20 05:49 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T

Yeah, but then again, according to this study, if you shoot a buck that passes down good genetic material (and you have no idea which buck that is), might you be doing more harm than good just letting him live?

As I mentioned way earlier, manage deer for age, sex ratio, nutrition, habitat (not in that order) and then start considering taking out the weak links in the system if you feel fit to do so. Most of us LF folks will never get there because we simply don't have the tags to do that. But in a well managed long term place that already has good structure within, feel free to shoot away and waste some tags on the dopey bucks if you want. This study says it really doesn't matter, but all else above done, it probably isn't going to hurt either.

Re: Breeding value of Bucks [Re: titan2232] #7744043 02/12/20 05:58 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
We had two very pronounced set of genetics on our place before the anthrax hit. Wide main frame 10-12's with no kickers and tall and heavy with split brows, G2's, and G3's.

There were few and far between of anything else and absolutely zero spikes to be seen.

Low fence deer that stayed on our property or an adjacent property that was not allowed to be hunted. So long story short I 100% believe our breeder bucks passed on their genetics well. 2cents

So this post just bites at me from a biological standpoint. Mainly because most bucks that are fawned in an area go through a process called dispersal where around age 1.5-2.5 they leave, and don’t come back. This has been verified across many states through many studies. It just happens.

Who stays? Mainly the doe. A few bucks will stay, but the buck dispersal range is anywhere from 1-10 miles, rarely even more. So unless your place is ginormous or HF, the more likely scenario is your doe passed on that trait. Or your neighbors bucks that hit your doe during the rut.

Just one more example of why this study doesn’t work with a HF population and whyHF genetics can be more “controlled” even without explicit breeder pens. The deer don’t follow normal behaviors and dispersal goes to nothing and you don’t have to worry about your neighbors “infecting” their bad genetics into “your” herd.

Generally our younger bucks carried no obvious trait to distinguish them on a yearly basis so yes they may leave, but we have tracked returning mature deer on our place from the day we started. Even collected pictures from the previous group and not only do we see the same bucks every year, but they're often seen in only certain portions of our ranch or the "sanctuary" next to us.

We acquire pretty sold data for nearly 50K acres around us and these few ranches have identical genetics as us and this has been the case for the better part of 20 years.

My million dollar question: Why do we suddenly have spikes or inferior younger bucks showing up when this has never been the case on our place or anyplace close to us? Anthrax has changed things that I do not understand

confused2

I wish there were an easy answer to your question, but there isn't. I don't pretend to know much about how deer herds devastated by anthrax return to normal levels, but that's like asking how does a specific forest return from a bad fire....slowly and over time.

My best guess is you just need to give it time. The anthrax hit probably reset all the data and info you had for the last 20 years and its all moot at this point. Only way to know is to allow those deer to grow and see what happens. Try to make accurate measures of deer numbers and keep the deer harvests in line with numbers. one thing is for sure, in a sick population, you can shoot out a deer herd pretty easily if you have the hunters to do it. So maybe you will need to readjust the target for a while until it can recover.

The one cool things about another study (I think it was part of the same study but I don't know for sure) where intensive buck management was halted due to too many bucks being killed, once the insult was removed (i.e. the killing of the bucks) the population did return within several years and to a level that it was at previously in regard to antler size. The genetic pool filled right back up. So hopefully given time and proper management, you can see that same thing happen on your place.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide