My first time trying Aoudad #7743555 02/12/20 01:12 AM
M
mbavo Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
M
I thought it was very good!
I fried some straight ground Aoudad burger in a cast iron skillet.
I seasoned it only with kosher salt,black pepper, and garlic.
I really enjoyed it!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: My first time trying Aoudad [Re: mbavo] #7743584 02/12/20 01:40 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Ram or ewe? How old was the animal?

I've heard the young ones are ok? Old rams not so much....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: My first time trying Aoudad [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7743591 02/12/20 01:47 AM
M
mbavo Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
M
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Ram or ewe? How old was the animal?

I've heard the young ones are ok? Old rams not so much....

It was a ewe.
Not for sure on age, but she was mature.

[Linked Image]

Re: My first time trying Aoudad [Re: mbavo] #7743601 02/12/20 02:03 AM
S
SouthWestIron Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Interesting for sure. Looks like a good Keto dish you got right there. Goes against everything I've heard and read. Few years back I thought people were just too picky on eating large hogs as well until I tried it. Did everything to that meat, made chorizo, bratwurst you name it. Ended up with 100lbs of dog food.

Last edited by SouthWestIron; 02/12/20 02:03 AM.
Re: My first time trying Aoudad [Re: mbavo] #7743644 02/12/20 02:56 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
In my opinion anything in the "goat" family is either you like it or you hate it, maybe an acquired taste. I like it, but when I was little a BBQ'd goat was a treat and usually done by some of grandpa's hired hands.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: My first time trying Aoudad [Re: mbavo] #7743676 02/12/20 03:40 AM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
That looks great! Ground is the way to go.

Re: My first time trying Aoudad [Re: skinnerback] #7743757 02/12/20 12:22 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by skinnerback
That looks great! Ground is the way to go.

It does look good, bet that would make a lot of good meals likes traditional hamburgers with what kind of cheese? Salisbury steak etc... up

texas flag

Re: My first time trying Aoudad [Re: dogcatcher] #7743784 02/12/20 12:51 PM
D
don k Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
In my opinion anything in the "goat" family is either you like it or you hate it, maybe an acquired taste. I like it, but when I was little a BBQ'd goat was a treat and usually done by some of grandpa's hired hands.

Actually they are from the Sheep family.

Re: My first time trying Aoudad [Re: mbavo] #7743834 02/12/20 01:55 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Ive tried aoudad one time. My brother and dad shot 2 large old rams on our old deer lease. We skinned and quartered them and had them on ice for a few days. Cut a steak off the backstrap and tenderized and chicken fried. I could live on it, but no way in hell I ever wanted to eat it again. To me it tasted like it smelled and it was not appealing to me or any of my family. It hurt me a little inside as I wasn't raised to waste, but we tossed the iced quarters on the gut pile.

Possibly a nice young one would be much better. Ill never go out of my way to shoot another.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: My first time trying Aoudad [Re: SouthWestIron] #7743860 02/12/20 02:26 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by SouthWestIron
Interesting for sure. Looks like a good Keto dish you got right there. Goes against everything I've heard and read. Few years back I thought people were just too picky on eating large hogs as well until I tried it. Did everything to that meat, made chorizo, bratwurst you name it. Ended up with 100lbs of dog food.

That's crazy. We eat 150+ pound hogs all of the time. We probably average eating 9-10 hogs a year. Maybe 3 of those are bigger than 150. I'm not saying you didn't know what you were doing, just that there has to be something else that made it taste off, aside from its size. As many as we eat I have yet to have one I wanted to throw out. I'm sure something happens because I know people like you that tried a big hog and didn't like it. But, I can feed pulled pork from a large hog to them and they would never know the difference.

I have a pretty firm stance on trying all of the things people say aren't good. Even if I don't like them I try them a couple of times, just to be sure. So far, it's really only been unpleasant with fish. Jack Crevalle is really hard to make at least decent...

Re: My first time trying Aoudad [Re: Thisisbeer] #7744014 02/12/20 05:17 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Thisisbeer

That's crazy. We eat 150+ pound hogs all of the time. We probably average eating 9-10 hogs a year. Maybe 3 of those are bigger than 150. I'm not saying you didn't know what you were doing, just that there has to be something else that made it taste off, aside from its size. As many as we eat I have yet to have one I wanted to throw out. I'm sure something happens because I know people like you that tried a big hog and didn't like it. But, I can feed pulled pork from a large hog to them and they would never know the difference.

I have a pretty firm stance on trying all of the things people say aren't good. Even if I don't like them I try them a couple of times, just to be sure. So far, it's really only been unpleasant with fish. Jack Crevalle is really hard to make at least decent...

Funny story ive eaten jack crevalle and it was good.

I cant tell you what it is, but I believe there are some that just stink and have a strong taste. Ive eaten many you couldn't tell from domestic pork and some when you toss it in the pan people in the house start asking whats that smell. I personally process all of my game and I know it is handled well and cooled quicker than even usda requirements.

Made sausage and tamales with a feral sow from opening weekend you'd never know it wasn't domestic pork, but they are not all that way.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: My first time trying Aoudad [Re: redchevy] #7744904 02/13/20 04:51 PM
S
SouthWestIron Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by redchevy
Originally Posted by Thisisbeer

Funny story ive eaten jack crevalle and it was good.

I cant tell you what it is, but I believe there are some that just stink and have a strong taste. Ive eaten many you couldn't tell from domestic pork and some when you toss it in the pan people in the house start asking whats that smell. I personally process all of my game and I know it is handled well and cooled quicker than even usda requirements.

Made sausage and tamales with a feral sow from opening weekend you'd never know it wasn't domestic pork, but they are not all that way.

It may very well be individual animals. Like you said the minute we started cooking some of that large hog people in the house could smell that it was off. I was meticulous with my processing and I as well do all of my own processing. Even adding tons of spices like what is in Chorizo and Italian sausage did nothing to improve the flavor. What is weird though is it didn't bother my oldest son or his wife when I gave them some. They ate the sausages and said they were excellent. Still trying to wrap my mind around that to this day. We took 3 large boars off our place that were pushing the 200lb mark. These were solitary boars and they were rank. Now the younger ones I've taken, especially 80-120 lb sows have been absolutely excellent.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide