Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: DocHorton] #7743384 02/11/20 10:54 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
Most are charging near half...................hence a 1.5% commission if you just list it and someone else sells it(and they get 1.5%)

3%if you sell it and list it.................plus 2 percent to the title company.

Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: txtrophy85] #7743387 02/11/20 10:55 PM
H
huck18 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by DocHorton
Originally Posted by huck18
The 25 acres, is gonna be either a farm and ranch or inimproved property contract.

Have you researched any mineral reservation conveyances, air rights, any leases the property may be under or you will inherit, scope of the electrical easement, zoning and subdivision restrictions of the county, etc,

A real estate agent isn't going to do any of that. The title company/bank only requires a survey, which will only show easements, electrical lines, etc...

Yep. A real estate agent isn't researching mineral reservations....gimme a break.

maybe ya'lls don't.

I've dealt with many, many agents. None of them have ever known anything about minerals. Much less how to go about verifying reservations, depth severances, NPRI's, etc...

Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: redchevy] #7743395 02/11/20 10:59 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by redchevy
Its basically a 25 acre hay field with a couple big oaks and a electric transmission line across one end. There isn't a lot to it.

'Don't know a dam thing 'bout real estate transactions. So, the only things I'll add are...

1. "Transmission" or "distribution" line? Huge difference in footprint, what happens when they need to work it, etc.

2. I've done a fair amount of real estate transactions in my life. I haven't been impressed with a stupid title company once. Not one dam time. They're idiots that make all kinds of mistakes and get to charge a ridiculous amount of money, act all lawyer-like (the actual lawyers there make the BIGGEST mistakes), AND they look down their snoot at you like "you poor, dumb rube". Yep, I am, for paying for your BS. mad

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: fadetoblack64] #7743403 02/11/20 11:03 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by takewhatyoucan64
Most are charging near half...................hence a 1.5% commission if you just list it and someone else sells it(and they get 1.5%)

3%if you sell it and list it.................plus 2 percent to the title company.

No. None of that.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: DocHorton] #7743408 02/11/20 11:05 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I sure would like to know how much of that 6% goes to Ebby Halliday etal

Every brokerage is different...some charge 30%, some charge a flat amount, some charge a percentage up to a max of X dollars.....

My wife does an 80:20 with her broker. It is capped at $10k for her fiscal year. After about 1.5M in sales, she gets 100% of the commission.

Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: txtrophy85] #7743413 02/11/20 11:10 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
The 25 acres, is gonna be either a farm and ranch or inimproved property contract.

Have you researched any mineral reservation conveyances, air rights, any leases the property may be under or you will inherit, scope of the electrical easement, zoning and subdivision restrictions of the county, etc,

A real estate agent isn't going to do any of that. The title company/bank only requires a survey, which will only show easements, electrical lines, etc...

Yep. A real estate agent isn't researching mineral reservations....gimme a break.

maybe ya'lls don't.

he can get in a crack real fast down the road if he goes to subdivide and finds out he is subject to platting or if there is a restriction against certain sized tracts. Future use also comes into play. A lot of scenarios he may not even think of due to inexperience.

Title commitment catches a lot of it but not all. They can also catch stuff that isn't applicable and needs to be removed.

So every piece of property you are involved with you go to the courthouse and run the title on form sovereignty to present?

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: TexFlip] #7743414 02/11/20 11:11 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
How much is she paying the brokerage company? I'm not arguing with you as many do it differently.

And a great agent is worth their weight in gold.............problem is there aren't many. They like to list property and wait like a cane pole fisherman

Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: fadetoblack64] #7743418 02/11/20 11:13 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
Man 1 maybe 2 houses in Rockwall and no more to the brokerage firm...............I need to do this.

Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: redchevy] #7743420 02/11/20 11:14 PM
Greg Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Get an agent to represent you. As mentioned above, the 6% is all paid by the seller. 3% to their listing agent and 3 % to your buyers agent. The agent is there to protect you and knows all the ins and outs of the laws and will write the contracts where you have “outs” should things go wrong.

I’m not an expert, but have sold a few homes on my own when I used to rehab them full time. I’m currently getting my real estate license and have one more test to go. Just took my 5th one today. There is much more to it than I ever thought when I was doing FSBO. Since it’s not costing you anything, I would most definitely suggest you find an agent familiar with this type of transaction, so they can represent your best interests and walk you through all the ins and outs.

Good luck and I hope you get the place!

Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: redchevy] #7743421 02/11/20 11:15 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
yall are making this much more complicated than it needs to be and now its reached a ridiculous point.

RedChevy, My advice is to enlist the help of a agent or at the least a knowledgeable land attorney. The attorney is gonna cost you out of pocket where the agent is not.

I'm assuming this property is something more investment oriented rather than a place to run a few cows....do your homework on what you can and cannot do development wise from the property, research the electrical easement and have an attorney look over the title commitment and explain the Schedule B items if you chose to forgo representation.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: txtrophy85] #7743422 02/11/20 11:17 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
ITs the OT.....................it has to go sideways clap

Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: fadetoblack64] #7743439 02/11/20 11:37 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

cyclo up

Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: fadetoblack64] #7743448 02/11/20 11:43 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Uhh...isn't that what we all hope for? banana

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: txtrophy85] #7743470 02/12/20 12:00 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

maybe ya'lls don't.

You go down to the county courthouse and look up old O&G leases and mineral rights conveyances?

Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: TexFlip] #7743477 02/12/20 12:05 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by TexFlip

Every brokerage is different...some charge 30%, some charge a flat amount, some charge a percentage up to a max of X dollars.....

My wife does an 80:20 with her broker. It is capped at $10k for her fiscal year. After about 1.5M in sales, she gets 100% of the commission.

Sounds reasonable to me....that's a pretty good deal for your wife.

Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: DocHorton] #7743487 02/12/20 12:10 AM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by TexFlip

Sounds reasonable to me....that's a pretty good deal for your wife.

Yeah. The guy that started the agency she works for is 43 and started it in 2014. He has 1200 agents now. Lots of appeal to agents. Win win. They did $730M last year.

Last edited by TexFlip; 02/12/20 12:11 AM.

Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: redchevy] #7743489 02/12/20 12:13 AM
Greg Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
An agent familiar with land transactions would or “should” have a conversation with you about what you are wanting to do with the property. If the place is currently Ag exempt, there are some things you should know up front that might make you second guess your desire to purchase the place. For instance:

Let’s say the place is currently Ag exempt and you buy it with plans of chopping it up into smaller tracts to sell off. When you do, you will loose your Ag exemption and have to pay what are called “Rollback Taxes”. No problem you are thinking, but did you know they will charge you rollback taxes on that land for the last 5 years? Even though you just bought the property now? They really stick it to you with this 5 years back thing when you change the use of the property. That could equal $50k + in taxes you might not have ever even thought of paying. You go to the mailbox and bam... there’s this huge bill you were not expecting. A good agent that specializes in land would for sure ask these questions and inform you of this. They would also be able to put you in touch with the correct people that can tell you exactly what those rollback taxes would cost you. There are realtors who specialize in farm & land transactions and they will be up on all of this.

A realtor has a fiduciary responsibility to THEIR client, meaning they should have your best interest in mind and always be protecting you. They will write the contracts giving you “outs” so you don’t get stuck.

Again, I’m no expert. But I’m learning and hearing of all kinds of horror stories in class to watch out for.

It sounds like an exciting time, and I hope all goes great for you!

Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: DocHorton] #7743511 02/12/20 12:33 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

You go down to the county courthouse and look up old O&G leases and mineral rights conveyances?

These days you normally don't have to go down to the courthouse anymore to get info but If I see something fishy or suspect on a title commitment then I will certainly order the exception documents and any other pertinent info until I'm satisfied.

Again, on a House or Commercial deal this normally isn't warranted. But on a Land purchase depending on location and intended/future use it dang sure can make a big difference or no difference at all.

This is stuff pertaining to land deals 99% of the time

Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: Greg] #7743513 02/12/20 12:35 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Greg
An agent familiar with land transactions would or “should” have a conversation with you about what you are wanting to do with the property. If the place is currently Ag exempt, there are some things you should know up front that might make you second guess your desire to purchase the place. For instance:

Let’s say the place is currently Ag exempt and you buy it with plans of chopping it up into smaller tracts to sell off. When you do, you will loose your Ag exemption and have to pay what are called “Rollback Taxes”. No problem you are thinking, but did you know they will charge you rollback taxes on that land for the last 5 years? Even though you just bought the property now? They really stick it to you with this 5 years back thing when you change the use of the property. That could equal $50k + in taxes you might not have ever even thought of paying. You go to the mailbox and bam... there’s this huge bill you were not expecting. A good agent that specializes in land would for sure ask these questions and inform you of this. They would also be able to put you in touch with the correct people that can tell you exactly what those rollback taxes would cost you. There are realtors who specialize in farm & land transactions and they will be up on all of this.

A realtor has a fiduciary responsibility to THEIR client, meaning they should have your best interest in mind and always be protecting you. They will write the contracts giving you “outs” so you don’t get stuck.

Again, I’m no expert. But I’m learning and hearing of all kinds of horror stories in class to watch out for.

It sounds like an exciting time, and I hope all goes great for you!

Excellent point

Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: redchevy] #7743588 02/12/20 01:44 AM
R
redchevy Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R
Wow yal are right it is the ot.

I am well versed on taxes etc. The plan is rural residence a few cows and a place to shoot. It does have development potential now and much more in the future but that’s not the plan for now.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: redchevy] #7743608 02/12/20 02:10 AM
Greg Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Wow yal are right it is the ot.

I am well versed on taxes etc. The plan is rural residence a few cows and a place to shoot. It does have development potential now and much more in the future but that’s not the plan for now.

It is the OT, but it’s also a good group of guys trying to help protect one of our THF brothers so they don’t make financial mistakes. It sounds like you know what you are doing, so you might not need anyone’s help. And that’s totally your call. I have sure sold some homes myself to keep from paying the extra 6%. So I’m sure not trying to harp on you and can totally understand where you are coming from. up

Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: redchevy] #7743638 02/12/20 02:47 AM
R
redchevy Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R
No doubt good folks. Way I see it you can find someone who knows just about anything on here. Thanks to all.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: redchevy] #7743821 02/12/20 01:44 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Nice, redchevy. Where are you looking to buy?

Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: redchevy] #7743831 02/12/20 01:50 PM
H
HoldPoint Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
If a house is the only property you have every bought, then I would advise you getting an agent. In this case it won't cost you anything. I know a few people who are perfectly fine going it alone but across the board most people would be behooved by having an agent represent them for a multitude of reasons.

But to answer your questions, if you as a buyer came up to me and asked if I would do it for 3% because you don't have an agent the answer would be a very quick no. If the property was into the millions of dollars or the Seller was a friend of mine I would have a conversation with the Seller about a possible discount but I wouldn't do it on a Buyers request.

Finding the property is only a part of the job....most of the agents work comes after the property is selected.

Go find a ( good ) agent and let them help you

That's what im looking for. What all does the buyers agent do, what am I getting for my 3%? I found it I know what its worth. Financing isn't an issue. Ive verified water and electric to it. Its been surveyed and newly fenced. Im aware of easements. Its not zoned and its not in an etj.

As far as I am concerned, its my 3% as until I write that check to the seller its my money and mine to negotiate with.

I'd negotiate it on your own; sounds like you are more than qualified to do so. In my experience and opinion 90% of the real estate agents out there add zero value and just suck cash out of the transaction.

Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: txtrophy85] #7743857 02/12/20 02:23 PM
H
huck18 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H

These days you normally don't have to go down to the courthouse anymore to get info but If I see something fishy or suspect on a title commitment then I will certainly order the exception documents and any other pertinent info until I'm satisfied.

Again, on a House or Commercial deal this normally isn't warranted. But on a Land purchase depending on location and intended/future use it dang sure can make a big difference or no difference at all.

This is stuff pertaining to land deals 99% of the time

Then you're not verifying mineral title. You're hoping there isn't a prior reservation. That's all. You can't simply look at a title commitment and know if there is any type of reservation. The ONLY way to do it is to index every owner of that property both ways from sovereignty to present day and examine every single deed ever involved. There are no short cuts.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide