redchevy Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by TexFlip
Originally Posted by redchevy
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
If a house is the only property you have every bought, then I would advise you getting an agent. In this case it won't cost you anything. I know a few people who are perfectly fine going it alone but across the board most people would be behooved by having an agent represent them for a multitude of reasons.

But to answer your questions, if you as a buyer came up to me and asked if I would do it for 3% because you don't have an agent the answer would be a very quick no. If the property was into the millions of dollars or the Seller was a friend of mine I would have a conversation with the Seller about a possible discount but I wouldn't do it on a Buyers request.

Finding the property is only a part of the job....most of the agents work comes after the property is selected.

Go find a ( good ) agent and let them help you

That's what im looking for. What all does the buyers agent do, what am I getting for my 3%? I found it I know what its worth. Financing isn't an issue. Ive verified water and electric to it. Its been surveyed and newly fenced. Im aware of easements. Its not zoned and its not in an etj.

As far as I am concerned, its my 3% as until I write that check to the seller its my money and mine to negotiate with.

You do understand that seller pays all commissions and that is built into the asking price, right?

Yes, exactly its built into the price. If i can shave 3% off for not having a buyers broker i want my 3%.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: TexFlip] #7743260 02/11/20 09:02 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by takewhatyoucan64
Because your wife is gonna be splitting 3% with the other agent.....................that means 1.5% to each agent. My way your wife makes 2%(instead of 1.5) so its stupid to not give him 1 % back.

3-1.5=1.5............your wife aint good at math
3-1=2...................winner to your wife

The OP doesn't have an agent, the sellers agent would be entitled to 6%. A 1% discount would be 5%.
6-1=5...... You don't understand how real estate commissions work.

I'd love to find agents willing to work 3%. grin Even commercial deals are 4% and they are more complicated than residential....

Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: TexFlip] #7743261 02/11/20 09:02 PM
R
redchevy Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R

The OP doesn't have an agent, the sellers agent would be entitled to 6%. A 1% discount would be 5%.

I can see your a glass half full kind of person lol.

What do you get paid for an appraisal? $5-700? If someone called you and said they had 2 properties they needed appraised but only wanted to pay you for one, would you do it?
Same thing. Twice the work, half the pay.

Not the same at all. I don't appraise houses much so typically a lot more than that.

What would be similar is if you asked me to appraise a house for a bank and appraise the same house for some other purpose. And yes we do make substantial price cuts when appraising the same property for different purposes at the same time.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: redchevy] #7743266 02/11/20 09:10 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Wait....your a real estate appraiser.

Can you represent yourself and charge a commission?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: DocHorton] #7743269 02/11/20 09:11 PM
H
huck18 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted by DocHorton
If a house is the only property you have every bought, then I would advise you getting an agent. In this case it won't cost you anything. I know a few people who are perfectly fine going it alone but across the board most people would be behooved by having an agent represent them for a multitude of reasons.

But to answer your questions, if you as a buyer came up to me and asked if I would do it for 3% because you don't have an agent the answer would be a very quick no. If the property was into the millions of dollars or the Seller was a friend of mine I would have a conversation with the Seller about a possible discount but I wouldn't do it on a Buyers request.

Finding the property is only a part of the job....most of the agents work comes after the property is selected.

That's what im looking for. What all does the buyers agent do, what am I getting for my 3%? I found it I know what its worth. Financing isn't an issue. Ive verified water and electric to it. Its been surveyed and newly fenced. Im aware of easements. Its not zoned and its not in an etj.

As far as I am concerned, its my 3% as until I write that check to the seller its my money and mine to negotiate with.

You are thinking correctly.

If you've done all the legwork, honestly, there isn't a lot for a buyers agent to do outside of writing up the contract and presenting it/negotiation. The title company and lender will walk you through closing.

Do you know anyone who is a realtor?

I'm with Doc. The only reason you need an agent if it's a very competitive market and you're trying to compete with a bunch of other offers or trying to buy before it hits the open market. Agents relationships can help a lot in this situation such as: Agent A has multiple offers all within a few thousand dollars of each other. Agent B has a close relationship with Agent A and Agent B makes an offer for their client. Agent A convinces the seller to accept Agent B's offer.

If that's not the case, my philosophy is you will always do a better job of protecting your money and negotiating on your behalf than a third party will.

Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: txtrophy85] #7743272 02/11/20 09:12 PM
R
redchevy Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R

Not that I know of.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: redchevy] #7743278 02/11/20 09:17 PM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler

Not that I know of.

That is correct RC

[Linked Image]
Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: fadetoblack64] #7743289 02/11/20 09:26 PM
T
TexFlip Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

exactly

When I work, I feel entitled to compensation.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: TexFlip] #7743290 02/11/20 09:27 PM
R
redchevy Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R

exactly

When I work, I feel entitled to compensation.

When i do my own work i feel entitled to compensation too... in the form of a price cut.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: TexFlip] #7743311 02/11/20 09:43 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Damn, sorry to hear this prayers up.

Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: txtrophy85] #7743314 02/11/20 09:47 PM
R
redchevy Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R

Well, its really not your 3%. the 3% comes out of the sellers funds regardless of if you have a buyers agent or not.

I am going to assume this is a residential type transaction. Not all deals are created equal but for me, I do a lot of work after contract is signed, meeting with buyers/sellers, coordinating moves, hiring trades, meeting with contractors, water well guys, inspectors, plumbers, appraisal districts, biologists, etc. I've hauled blinds, feeders, tractors, horses, etc. off. Coordinated deer catches, livestock sales, commissioners meetings, you name it. I do a specialized type of real estate however.

My wife does residential sales and she does a lot of the legwork after contract signing as well. Again, a lot of the same type of stuff as listed above just applicable to residential units.

If this is a lot or some type of open space transaction, then its probably pretty straight forward. In that case go ahead and do the deal without representation and do it yourself and don't worry about the other agents commission. if your unsure of how to handle to contract and are untrusting, then get a agent. its pretty simple. If you have only done one real estate deal in your life, and don't have a good handle on the contracts, I would consider you inexperienced and would def. recommend you getting an agent.

I fit the bill of only one RE transaction and not being well versed on lots of paperwork or forms. Makes me nervous. I am not typically a risk averse kind of person... but as you people of the THF probably all know im frugal/cheap/tight as all get out grin I do not intend to insult the real estate professionals im just trying to get a handle on what i may or may not be getting for my money.

The simplicity of this property is why I consider it. Its basically a 25 acre hay field with a couple big oaks and a electric transmission line across one end. There isn't a lot to it.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: Guy] #7743319 02/11/20 09:49 PM
R
redchevy Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Guy
Damn, sorry to hear this prayers up.

While i think this is misplaced ill take the prayers lol.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: redchevy] #7743326 02/11/20 09:55 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I don't see you realizing the 3% you think you are saving by representing yourself. The sellers contract is signed to pay the realtor 6% and they don't have to negotiate if they don't want to. Its a cost already incurred. What I can say from experience is you won't need a real estate agent until its too late. Once you have gotten in over your pay grade you might think that 3% you weren't paying is awfully cheap.

Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: Leonardo] #7743332 02/11/20 10:02 PM
I
Ihunt Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I
Leonardo is correct. 3% of the 6% can go to the realtor that represents you or the whole 6% can go to the sellers realtor if you want to represent yourself for nothing. Get yourself a realtor that specializes in land sales and purchases.

Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: Ihunt] #7743335 02/11/20 10:07 PM
T
TexFlip Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Ihunt
Leonardo is correct. 3% of the 6% can go to the realtor that represents you or the whole 6% can go to the sellers realtor if you want to represent yourself for nothing. Get yourself a realtor that specializes in land sales and purchases.

up

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: redchevy] #7743336 02/11/20 10:07 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
The 25 acres, is gonna be either a farm and ranch or inimproved property contract.

Have you researched any mineral reservation conveyances, air rights, any leases the property may be under or you will inherit, scope of the electrical easement, zoning and subdivision restrictions of the county, etc,

Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: Leonardo] #7743344 02/11/20 10:15 PM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Leonardo
I don't see you realizing the 3% you think you are saving by representing yourself. The sellers contract is signed to pay the realtor 6% and they don't have to negotiate if they don't want to. Its a cost already incurred. What I can say from experience is you won't need a real estate agent until its too late. Once you have gotten in over your pay grade you might think that 3% you weren't paying is awfully cheap.

Just do this. ^^^^^
An ounce of prevention could save a lot of stress.
One and done and just enjoy the process stress free.

Proverbs 2
Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: txtrophy85] #7743352 02/11/20 10:25 PM
H
huck18 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
The 25 acres, is gonna be either a farm and ranch or inimproved property contract.

Have you researched any mineral reservation conveyances, air rights, any leases the property may be under or you will inherit, scope of the electrical easement, zoning and subdivision restrictions of the county, etc,

A real estate agent isn't going to do any of that. The title company/bank only requires a survey, which will only show easements, electrical lines, etc...

Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: redchevy] #7743353 02/11/20 10:25 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Its a real estate transaction not a Buy one get 1/2 off sale

Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: redchevy] #7743361 02/11/20 10:35 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I have purchased property without an appraisal. One time the bank even said I did not need a survey on the subject property. That's something I paid for because, well, I wanted to make certain the property lines were the property lines. I have never, ever purchased a property without the aid of a realtor representing me. You know, they do carry Professional E & O for a reason.

I always "appreciate" and/or look out for people who are so smart they have it all figured out.

Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: huck18] #7743367 02/11/20 10:39 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by huck18

A real estate agent isn't going to do any of that. The title company/bank only requires a survey, which will only show easements, electrical lines, etc...

Yep. A real estate agent isn't researching mineral reservations....gimme a break.

Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: Ihunt] #7743371 02/11/20 10:42 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by Ihunt

....Or, get yourself a realtor that will bonus you back half of that 3% they are getting for doing very little work. This is the route I would go.

Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: DocHorton] #7743376 02/11/20 10:45 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
I sure would like to know how much of that 6% goes to Ebby Halliday etal

Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: fadetoblack64] #7743381 02/11/20 10:50 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I sure would like to know how much of that 6% goes to Ebby Halliday etal

Every brokerage is different...some charge 30%, some charge a flat amount, some charge a percentage up to a max of X dollars.....

Re: Real estate purchase. [Re: DocHorton] #7743382 02/11/20 10:50 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by DocHorton
Originally Posted by huck18

Yep. A real estate agent isn't researching mineral reservations....gimme a break.

maybe ya'lls don't.

he can get in a crack real fast down the road if he goes to subdivide and finds out he is subject to platting or if there is a restriction against certain sized tracts. Future use also comes into play. A lot of scenarios he may not even think of due to inexperience.

Title commitment catches a lot of it but not all. They can also catch stuff that isn't applicable and needs to be removed.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide