Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,020
Posts9,719,467
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Texans overwhelmingly want gun background checks, are open to red flag laws, DMN-UT Tyler poll finds #7742250 02/10/20 05:56 PM
T
Tin Head Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
IMO, this is the reason for the high crime rates. Letting the criminals walk , creates more crime. More crime creates more shootings. More shootings creates fear to take guns.

Texans strongly support expanding background checks for gun purchases and laws that let police remove guns from people deemed by a judge to be dangerous, according to a Dallas Morning News-University of Texas at Tyler poll.

The poll, taken six months after the massacre of 22 people in El Paso, also found that a majority of Texans don’t believe elected officials are doing enough to prevent mass shootings.

“There’s overwhelming majority support and that is across-the-board bipartisan,” said Kenneth Bryant Jr., an assistant political science professor at the University of Texas at Tyler who conducted the poll. “The more restrictive the policy, the lower the support across the state because Republicans are becoming more oppositional.”

Texans were less likely to support a ban on assault weapons or a gun buyback program, the poll found. And, President Donald Trump was named by those polled as the person they most trust to lead on gun policy.

The poll was conducted Jan. 21-30 with 1,169 registered voters, 305 surveyed by phone and 864 through online surveys. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 2.87 percentage points.

Though the poll found support for expanded background checks and red flag laws, those policies have gained little traction in the Republican-led Legislature, which has opted in past years to make it easier for Texans to carry weapons in schools and houses of worship.

After mass shootings in El Paso and Midland-Odessa last August, Gov. Greg Abbott resisted Democrats’ calls for a special session on gun violence. The Republican instead convened roundtables to discuss policy ideas, such as cracking down on straw purchases and those who steal guns. State lawmakers meet next in 2021.
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/pol...o-red-flag-laws-dmn-ut-tyler-poll-finds/

SKIP TO THE 1:00 MARK

[Linked Image]
Re: Texans overwhelmingly want gun background checks, are open to red flag laws, DMN-UT Tyler poll finds [Re: Tin Head] #7742436 02/10/20 09:03 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Poor sample size.
Really chitty questions.
A lot of not-smart people out there.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Texans overwhelmingly want gun background checks, are open to red flag laws, DMN-UT Tyler poll finds [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #7742444 02/10/20 09:12 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Poor sample size.
Really chitty questions.
A lot of not-smart people out there.

And done that way on purpose...

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Texans overwhelmingly want gun background checks, are open to red flag laws, DMN-UT Tyler poll finds [Re: Tin Head] #7742508 02/10/20 10:22 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Don’t like guns, don’t buy one. It’s that easy

Re: Texans overwhelmingly want gun background checks, are open to red flag laws, DMN-UT Tyler poll finds [Re: Tin Head] #7742522 02/10/20 10:36 PM
T
Tin Head Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I forget the name of it but the poll is meant to grease the wheels for future events. A manipulated poll to sway the masses on future voting. Like they do with elections, they had hillary pegged to win until she didnt. They did this in hopes folks would think "why vote she won" and not show up.

[Linked Image]
Re: Texans overwhelmingly want gun background checks, are open to red flag laws, DMN-UT Tyler poll finds [Re: Tin Head] #7742644 02/11/20 12:41 AM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Tin Head
I forget the name of it but the poll is meant to grease the wheels for future events. A manipulated poll to sway the masses on future voting. Like they do with elections, they had hillary pegged to win until she didnt. They did this in hopes folks would think "why vote she won" and not show up.

Exactly!

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Texans overwhelmingly want gun background checks, are open to red flag laws, DMN-UT Tyler poll finds [Re: Tin Head] #7742686 02/11/20 01:39 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K

Except it had the opposite effect. Just like it will again. Best thing the left could do is start releasing poles saying trump is ahead 10 points. There would be record voter turnout. Hopefully they don’t figure that out.

Last edited by krmitchell; 02/11/20 01:40 AM.
Re: Texans overwhelmingly want gun background checks, are open to red flag laws, DMN-UT Tyler poll finds [Re: Jimbo1] #7772512 03/15/20 01:55 AM
M
MikeU Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Originally Posted by Jimbo1

Exactly!

Yep.

Re: Texans overwhelmingly want gun background checks, are open to red flag laws, DMN-UT Tyler poll finds [Re: Tin Head] #7772530 03/15/20 02:03 AM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
There are lies, damn lies, and statistics - Will Rogers

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: Texans overwhelmingly want gun background checks, are open to red flag laws, DMN-UT Tyler poll finds [Re: Tin Head] #7772888 03/15/20 03:58 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Let me ask a question (do not read into it)...

Most of us on this board are law abiding gun owners. Yes we complain about more rules and regs that always seam to impact us and not the true criminals.

The question...should people convicted of a felony or misdemeanor domestic violence be allowed to own a firearm?

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Texans overwhelmingly want gun background checks, are open to red flag laws, DMN-UT Tyler poll finds [Re: The Dude Abides] #7776493 03/18/20 06:41 PM
R
rolyat.nosaj Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308

Most of us on this board are law abiding gun owners. Yes we complain about more rules and regs that always seam to impact us and not the true criminals.

The question...should people convicted of a felony or misdemeanor domestic violence be allowed to own a firearm?

I don't know the statistics to repeat offenders or if they are more likely to commit violent crimes but if they are then I'd say you have to convince me otherwise.

Re: Texans overwhelmingly want gun background checks, are open to red flag laws, DMN-UT Tyler poll finds [Re: The Dude Abides] #7776633 03/18/20 09:46 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C

No. Violent offenders don't need guns. Period. They made a decision and sometimes those decisions come with bad consequences. I don't lose sleep over violent offenders and those that hurt their family members. Screw them.

Re: Texans overwhelmingly want gun background checks, are open to red flag laws, DMN-UT Tyler poll finds [Re: Choctaw] #7776638 03/18/20 09:49 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Choctaw

No. Violent offenders don't need guns. Period. They made a decision and sometimes those decisions come with bad consequences. I don't lose sleep over violent offenders and those that hurt their family members. Screw them.

Absolutely..... up

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Texans overwhelmingly want gun background checks, are open to red flag laws, DMN-UT Tyler poll finds [Re: Choctaw] #7776680 03/18/20 10:25 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Choctaw

I feel the same way about any violent offenders - screw them. I do think some felonies shouldn't automatically prohibit someone from possessing firearms or voting. A good example would be someone who uses a stolen check or credit card one time. It's a felony even if the amount is only $5. There are several property crime scenarios that could be revisited, assuming that's all they have. If they start stringing multiple offenses they're back to the screw them category for me.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide