Print Thread
Game Cam lens replacement #7723214 01/20/20 03:15 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
J
Anyone ever replaced the lens on a game camera? Browning Strike Force, lens shattered while cleaning. May be a common problem as this is the second for me. Browning replaced the whole camera the first time but wants $19.00 this time for a new lens and shipping. Not sure how hard it is since I couldn't find anything on YouTube. Do I want to spend $20 on a $100 camera? What say you?

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Game Cam lens replacement [Re: Jimbo1] #7723931 01/21/20 02:42 AM
llbts1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I've never done the lens, but I did the PIR. It was a little tedious, but not rocket science. I can't believe that it would be any more difficult.

Re: Game Cam lens replacement [Re: Jimbo1] #7724044 01/21/20 10:56 AM
T
TEXASLEFTY Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
At that price, I’d have it fixed.....

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: Game Cam lens replacement [Re: Jimbo1] #7724329 01/21/20 05:17 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
One of my Browning Strike Force the flimsy covering over the lense has broken out but the lense is fine and camera still takes pics. Did you have to replace that too and if so what and how?

Re: Game Cam lens replacement [Re: Always ready 2 hunt] #7724644 01/21/20 11:56 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Always ready 2 hunt
One of my Browning Strike Force the flimsy covering over the lense has broken out but the lense is fine and camera still takes pics. Did you have to replace that too and if so what and how?

Well I really meant the lens cover is what shattered. Camera still operates fine. I ordered the PIR Lens after emailing Browning so I hope I get what I really need.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Game Cam lens replacement [Re: Jimbo1] #7725034 01/22/20 01:08 PM
B
B_Man Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I replaced 2 of mine. I read where birds like a woodpecker hear the click as it takes pictures and will put
a hole in them. Two of mine had the small holes in them. I called Browning and got 2 sent to me immediately.
I cannot remember how much they cost but it was reasonable. Customer Service was good. I sent them back their instructions
with a few extra things in them so that they were better because they left a couple of things out. This is what I sent them for my Browning trail camera:

I got the PIR lenses yesterday (Saturday). Thanks a whole lot.
I changed them out today and the instructions were fair but not as good as they should be.
I went ahead and made a drawing of the PIR lens showing the top and bottom better versus the wording in the instructions.
Feel free to cut and paste them into your instructions. I attached the rough drawing.
Also there is some additional instructions after step 7 in my opinion. If you sent it to me in word I can edit it or please feel
free to add one more step with this wording:

Step 7a. After removing the screws holding the plastic frame that holds the PIR lens you need to remove the top 2 screws
to the 2nd circuit board that is behind the first circuit board. Then loosen the next lower set of screws on the 2nd circuit board. This will
allow the lens frame holder to be removed because it sits behind that 2nd circuit board.

Pay real close attention to the top and bottom of the PIR lens and make sure it goes back in the same way.
I hope this helps and it is not real difficult but you do need to loosen more screws to remove the lens because the 2nd circuit board holds it into place also.

Last edited by B_Man; 01/22/20 01:09 PM.
Re: Game Cam lens replacement [Re: B_Man] #7740569 02/08/20 02:39 AM
J
Jimbo1 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by B_Man
I replaced 2 of mine. I read where birds like a woodpecker hear the click as it takes pictures and will put
a hole in them. Two of mine had the small holes in them. I called Browning and got 2 sent to me immediately.
I cannot remember how much they cost but it was reasonable. Customer Service was good. I sent them back their instructions
with a few extra things in them so that they were better because they left a couple of things out. This is what I sent them for my Browning trail camera:

I got the PIR lenses yesterday (Saturday). Thanks a whole lot.
I changed them out today and the instructions were fair but not as good as they should be.
I went ahead and made a drawing of the PIR lens showing the top and bottom better versus the wording in the instructions.
Feel free to cut and paste them into your instructions. I attached the rough drawing.
Also there is some additional instructions after step 7 in my opinion. If you sent it to me in word I can edit it or please feel
free to add one more step with this wording:

Step 7a. After removing the screws holding the plastic frame that holds the PIR lens you need to remove the top 2 screws
to the 2nd circuit board that is behind the first circuit board. Then loosen the next lower set of screws on the 2nd circuit board. This will
allow the lens frame holder to be removed because it sits behind that 2nd circuit board.

Pay real close attention to the top and bottom of the PIR lens and make sure it goes back in the same way.
I hope this helps and it is not real difficult but you do need to loosen more screws to remove the lens because the 2nd circuit board holds it into place also.

I finally got my replacement lens cover but I can't figure out how to get the rubber plugs out so I can get to the screws. UGH!

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Game Cam lens replacement [Re: Jimbo1] #7740687 02/08/20 12:59 PM
B
B_Man Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Jimbo1,
Those rubber plugs were real hard to get out. I actually messed one up and started to take a real small drill bit just to see
how they come out by using that. I saw that they were way down into the holes, therefore after I saw one come out in pieces
I got a real tiny screwdriver with a straight edge (similar to something a little larger than one used to fix eyeglass screws) and
stuck it into the hole and pried out the rubber plugs. I hope this helps.

Good luck.

Re: Game Cam lens replacement [Re: B_Man] #7740748 02/08/20 03:15 PM
R
rogerh Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted by B_Man
Jimbo1,
Those rubber plugs were real hard to get out. I actually messed one up and started to take a real small drill bit just to see
how they come out by using that. I saw that they were way down into the holes, therefore after I saw one come out in pieces
I got a real tiny screwdriver with a straight edge (similar to something a little larger than one used to fix eyeglass screws) and
stuck it into the hole and pried out the rubber plugs. I hope this helps.

Good luck.

I use a small sheet rock screw screw, screw it down till you feel bottom and pry it out with a pair of needle nose

Re: Game Cam lens replacement [Re: Jimbo1] #7740786 02/08/20 04:19 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
J
Hey B_Man, I really appreciate the help with this. I had to use a thin drill bit to pull those plugs out. I only destroyed one! Great info on loosening those other screws too! Got it repaired and back together. Have a great weekend!

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Game Cam lens replacement [Re: Jimbo1] #7741122 02/09/20 02:33 AM
B
B_Man Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Jimbo1,
Glad all of that helped you. I had hoped they modified their instructions so that they were better but I doubt they did.
Have a Great Weekend too.

thanks

Re: Game Cam lens replacement [Re: llbts1] #7785957 03/26/20 04:32 PM
K
KK30RAR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Originally Posted by llbts1
I've never done the lens, but I did the PIR. It was a little tedious, but not rocket science. I can't believe that it would be any more difficult.

Replaced 2 pir plastic lenses last night on the strike force cameras probably 40 mins to do both pretty simple. The browning website shows out of stock for the strike force cameras so I ordered size #2 fit perfectly

Pulsar xq50 trail
Pulsar xq30f Helion
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide