Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: fencing question [Re: J.P. Greeson] #7736226 02/03/20 04:32 AM
P
pdr55 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
If you’re going to run hot wires, why run that high dollar horse fence instead of barbed wire?

If you`re running down my country, man,
You`re walking on the fighting side of me. (Merle)
Re: fencing question [Re: pdr55] #7736290 02/03/20 01:03 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline OP
the janitor
OP Offline
the janitor
J
Originally Posted by pdr55
If you’re going to run hot wires, why run that high dollar horse fence instead of barbed wire?

Because I want chickens to free range there as well.

“Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will.” – Theodore Roosevelt

[Linked Image]
Re: fencing question [Re: J.P. Greeson] #7736383 02/03/20 03:23 PM
B
B-radder Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Where did I troll or say it wont work? I stated a better, more cost effective way .

Yes, it can get grounded out by foialage, that's why you clear it before you put the fence up, from there the fence will kill the grass as it will shock it.

Dont get mad because there's a different way to do it.

J.P. look into premier1 fencing. We free range our chickens in this, I can move the whole paddock in 15 to 20 minutes. Since iv started moving our chickens a couple times a week, our pastures look awesome . We move our chickens behind the cattle to spread manure and eat the parasites out of it . They do all the work for us and we no longer have s need to worm our animals.

Last edited by Brad Hardt; 02/03/20 03:27 PM.

343 NEVER FORGET !!
Re: fencing question [Re: B-radder] #7736515 02/03/20 06:33 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Brad Hardt
Where did I troll or say it wont work? I stated a better, more cost effective way .

Yes, it can get grounded out by foialage, that's why you clear it before you put the fence up, from there the fence will kill the grass as it will shock it.

Dont get mad because there's a different way to do it.

I guess you're slow. If hotwire is "better" why isn't the entire continent filled with it instead of barb wire and mesh fence? Because it is constant maintenance, that's why.

Clear foliage, then clear it again next week, and the next, and the next, forever until the first freeze of the year.

You going to cut down all +12" trees within 40' of your hotwire? I doubt it. Not cutting them down, means they're going to drop limbs on the fragile hot wire fence. It grounds, it gets mashed down, goats get out. Pretty simple.

J.P. did not ask about hot wire, he asked about building permanent fence. You're the dog hanging onto the towel that's bolted to the wheel of the truck about the hot wire. Let go of the towel, you won't get hurt as badly.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: fencing question [Re: J.P. Greeson] #7736518 02/03/20 06:38 PM
J
Jman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I have a gut strainer and a gripple tool that I used one time. If you’d like to us them or buy them I’d live to get them out of my garage as I sole my property and don’t see a need for these in the near future.

If you’d like to know what these are just call me.

Jim Featherston
Mortgage Loan Officer - NMLS 2509901
Red Diamond Home Loans
165 S Kimball Ave, Suite 100
Southlake, TX 76092
PH 972-890-3114
Apply at: RDHLoans.com/Jim
Re: fencing question [Re: J.P. Greeson] #7736646 02/03/20 09:14 PM
B
B-radder Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
JG, if you ever want to meet up and talk about things I would be glad to . You seem to be an expert on everything and heck of a guy. I wont throw out insults like you do on a computer . However, I would be glad to show you around my small acreage and show you how this works. Like I said, If you clear the foliage one time, the fence takes care of the grass ( google it I guess).. As far as trees go, I don't neglect my land enough for them to become a problem.

Bite that towel

343 NEVER FORGET !!
Re: fencing question [Re: B-radder] #7736724 02/03/20 10:32 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
JG, if you ever want to meet up and talk about things I would be glad to . You seem to be an expert on everything and heck of a guy. I wont throw out insults like you do on a computer . However, I would be glad to show you around my small acreage and show you how this works. Like I said, If you clear the foliage one time, the fence takes care of the grass ( google it I guess).. As far as trees go, I don't neglect my land enough for them to become a problem.

Bite that towel

I'm an expert on a very short list of things, very short. But most certainly not everything, not by a long shot.

But one of the items on the list is fence building. Been doing it every year since 1996. It used to my sole source of income, that I did full time. I too have raised livestock, including goats. I too have tried to make hot wire work. And it is extremely handy for cross fences, but I learned the hard way to not trust it for perimeter fencing. Up until midnight trying to get goats and cattle back in the pasture due to hot wire fence failing to keep them contained, is not something I would wish on a livestock owner.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: fencing question [Re: J.P. Greeson] #7736828 02/04/20 12:43 AM
B
B-radder Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
That's an actual educated response , thanks for no insults. Just because you use to do that for a living dosent mean there arent better ways . I poured concrete for 11 years before I got on the department, there's much better ways out there now than I used to do . I also use to till our dirt, is that a good method?

There are better ways than stretching wire. I asked you how I trolled you along with 5 or 6 more questions that you have no answer for . I know your type, I work with many of them. We laugh at you guys .

Are you a firefighter? You mention it ever other post. You know how to look me up and where I work, holler at me if you want to discuss . I use my real name so it should be easy

Last edited by Brad Hardt; 02/04/20 12:47 AM.

343 NEVER FORGET !!
Re: fencing question [Re: J.P. Greeson] #7736829 02/04/20 12:44 AM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
popcorn

[Linked Image]
Re: fencing question [Re: J.P. Greeson] #7736837 02/04/20 12:52 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
popcorn

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: fencing question [Re: B-radder] #7736870 02/04/20 01:35 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
That's an actual educated response , thanks for no insults. Just because you use to do that for a living dosent mean there arent better ways . I poured concrete for 11 years before I got on the department, there's much better ways out there now than I used to do . I also use to till our dirt, is that a good method?

There are better ways than stretching wire. I asked you how I trolled you along with 5 or 6 more questions that you have no answer for . I know your type, I work with many of them. We laugh at you guys .

Are you a firefighter? You mention it ever other post. You know how to look me up and where I work, holler at me if you want to discuss . I use my real name so it should be easy

I've given nothing but educated posts.

Livestock getting out of enclosures has existed as long as their has been livestock. What "used to happen" still happens. Nothing new under the sun. And nothing else is new on building a solid fence, unless you want to spend every week maintaining a hotwire fence. Some of us don't have time for that crap. Some of us like to build something and walk away, knowing it will need no maintenance, so we can move onto the next project. It is about as simple as water extinguishes fire. Some other guys want to add foam, and air, and make the water go farther, and just like hotwire fences, that crap breaks down all the time.

I know your type too. Know-it-all, my way is the best way, all the time, as well as always the loudest mouth in the room. And we crush their reason for living when they act like you do. You get laughed at by guys like me calling B.S. on your B.S. that everyone knows is B.S.

I mention my profession rarely, there's the trolling. I don't need to look you up, I've got plenty of friends and a big enough handful of punks already to deal with.

I'm sure you're praying your electricity doesn't fail for your chickenchit fence tonight.

(Sorry, J.P. )

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: fencing question [Re: J.P. Greeson] #7736874 02/04/20 01:37 AM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

[Linked Image]
Re: fencing question [Re: J.P. Greeson] #7736882 02/04/20 01:43 AM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline OP
the janitor
OP Offline
the janitor
J
popcorn

“Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will.” – Theodore Roosevelt

[Linked Image]
Re: fencing question [Re: J.P. Greeson] #7736891 02/04/20 01:50 AM
E
erathar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
And this my fellow THFers is exactly what the THF has become. For newer members, it wasn't always this way.

Re: fencing question [Re: J.P. Greeson] #7736893 02/04/20 01:51 AM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
popcorn

See, we really need a Like button boss smile ani

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: fencing question [Re: erathar] #7736901 02/04/20 01:56 AM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by erathar
And this my fellow THFers is exactly what the THF has become. For newer members, it wasn't always this way.

Oh now lets not be so dramatic. We need a little more pop corn action around here. smile ani

Re: fencing question [Re: Guy] #7736910 02/04/20 02:05 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by erathar

Oh now lets not be so dramatic. We need a little more pop corn action around here. smile ani

[Linked Image]cyborg wallpaper

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: fencing question [Re: J.P. Greeson] #7736919 02/04/20 02:08 AM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
roflmao

[Linked Image]
Re: fencing question [Re: J.P. Greeson] #7738725 02/05/20 11:49 PM
B
B-radder Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Sorry I just saw fireman response, I have a family to raise. I'm truly sorry for getting a little heated on here . Not trying to start drama on this site. You can tell from my 127 post I dont day much of anything . However, Fireman JG( you even mention it in your username), feel free to contact me by department, pm, telephone, Skype, Twitter, or whatever resources you have.

We can even talk about who's a punk if you wish

Sorry J.P.

343 NEVER FORGET !!
Re: fencing question [Re: J.P. Greeson] #7739042 02/06/20 01:26 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I raise Ibex Goats. I tried electric fence. I did it to keep out predators. I had already gone the Llama, Donkey and Dog route without success. The electric fence was fine until the spring got here and the grass and weeds started growing. The fence can only kill the grass and weed growth so long. I tried spraying with Round Up and that was good until it turned dry and the ground shrunk and not having grass or weeds in the fence line made it shrink even more and loosened up the line and t post. Then came breeding season and the males on the outside fence gave a rats a** about electricity and destroyed it. I ended up using cattle type panels with a 4"X4" spacing and buried it 6 inches in the ground. I will get you a picture of what Ibex think about cattle panels.

Re: fencing question [Re: Judd] #7739100 02/06/20 02:20 PM
R
RayBob Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Judd
Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
popcorn

See, we really need a Like button boss smile ani

I Like This !

Re: fencing question [Re: J.P. Greeson] #7739110 02/06/20 02:32 PM
R
RayBob Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
i bought a lowboy from a guy down the road who runs 100 head of goats on on 100 acres. He has 3 Anatolian shepherds that live out with his herd. They do the job. He has the 2" x 4" x 4' wrapped mesh fencing with 2 close runs of Gaucho topping it. He keeps his animals in and his dogs keep them safe (according to him). He said the dogs had even killed deer that got into the field.

Now, a donkey story. I have a friend that lives over south of Rayburn and his neighbor has/had goats (12-15) and a donkey. One summer evening he was sitting on his back patio and saw the donkey going crazy and kicking up dust. Apparently it was killing the goats. He called his neighbor. Now,he says, there are no goats nor donkey !

Re: fencing question [Re: J.P. Greeson] #7739146 02/06/20 03:03 PM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The guy we bought this place from had raised goats. Started out with electric and wound up with a net wire fence with a barbed wire top wire. Even with that he had trouble keeping the goats inside the fence. And when I bought the place there were a few ‘loose’ goats in the area. Wasn’t a problem till I started feeding corn for the deer, and then I found out how well those goats could jump. The fence that couldn’t keep them in couldn’t keep them out. They sailed over it effortlessly. I suppose that explains why a buddy of mine keeps goats behind a high fence (racks aren’t getting bigger though).

As for other guys with electric fence, my old buddy Pete had a lot of electric cross fencing. The deer kept it torn down.

If I was going to raise goats, I would sure try to find some non-jumping goats.

As for the ones that kept jumping my fence and eating the deer corn, I bought them cheap and shot them. That gave me enormous satisfaction.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: fencing question [Re: don k] #7739158 02/06/20 03:12 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by don k
I raise Ibex Goats. I tried electric fence. I did it to keep out predators. I had already gone the Llama, Donkey and Dog route without success. The electric fence was fine until the spring got here and the grass and weeds started growing. The fence can only kill the grass and weed growth so long. I tried spraying with Round Up and that was good until it turned dry and the ground shrunk and not having grass or weeds in the fence line made it shrink even more and loosened up the line and t post. Then came breeding season and the males on the outside fence gave a rats a** about electricity and destroyed it. I ended up using cattle type panels with a 4"X4" spacing and buried it 6 inches in the ground. I will get you a picture of what Ibex think about cattle panels.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Inside trap where I keep the females. The Billies from the outside and the Billy I had in the inside worked on the panel.

Re: fencing question [Re: J.P. Greeson] #7739292 02/06/20 05:35 PM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Used that exact fence for my goats and never had an issue.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide