Page 1 of 2 1 2
9mm for grizzly protection #7739154 02/06/20 03:08 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
I probably still would not choose my p938 for bear, but...https://www.wideopenspaces.com/alaska-man-kills-charging-brown-bear-with-a-9mm-pistol/

Re: 9mm for grizzly protection [Re: unclebubba] #7739160 02/06/20 03:14 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Wouldn't be my first pick either, but just adds more support for the placement of the shot may be the most important part.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: 9mm for grizzly protection [Re: unclebubba] #7739189 02/06/20 03:51 PM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Btw, Phil Shoemaker isn’t just “some guy”, he’s one of the most experienced and respected bear guides in Alaska.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: 9mm for grizzly protection [Re: syncerus] #7739197 02/06/20 04:04 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by syncerus
Btw, Phil Shoemaker isn’t just “some guy”, he’s one of the most experienced and respected bear guides in Alaska.

Curious why he chose 9mm?

Glad they were all unharmed....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: 9mm for grizzly protection [Re: unclebubba] #7739221 02/06/20 04:24 PM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: 9mm for grizzly protection [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7739222 02/06/20 04:24 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

Accuracy, weight, and effectiveness

Hard cast +p 9mm is wildly used

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: 9mm for grizzly protection [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7739227 02/06/20 04:27 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Thanks...had no idea... up

Re: 9mm for grizzly protection [Re: unclebubba] #7739230 02/06/20 04:29 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
wow, lucky is all I will say!

there used to be a big privately owned sporting goods store in Waco, on Valley Mills drive (if I remember correctly) that I used to frequent while in college (late 1970s). I recall one day I was admiring a full body mount brown bear that was standing with paws raised, weird spots in the center of it's chest (like bad taxidermy). An old guy walked up to me and started a conversation. Come to find out, it was the owner of the store and he was the one that shot the bear. He told me of the story as he was elk hunting when he came across the bear about 30 yards from him, who turned and started approaching him. He shouldered his Winchester 30-30 and when the bear was only about 10 yards away, it came up on its high legs, paws out like the mount. of course I was eeks333 as he continued saying he started shooting at the center of its chest (explained the bad spots) as the bear continued towards him. He knew he was getting low on ammo and shoved the end of the barrel in the bears mouth and pulled the trigger as he turned to run. The bear came crashing down on top of him and he just knew he was fixing to be dead. But as it turned out, the last bullet went thru the roof of its mouth into its brain and he died, causing him to fall on top of the man. He said he got the bear mounted in the last position he saw it before trying to run. I was like WOW!!! He went on to say that was the last time he ever carried a 30-30 into bear country as all the rounds to the chest didn't penetrate the skin and were all balled up in the fur.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: 9mm for grizzly protection [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7739241 02/06/20 04:40 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Thanks...had no idea... up

Only way you “drop” a bear is same way you “drop” a deer, rupture the central nervous systems communication ability, next way is to cause a stoppage /pressure loss of oxygenated blood in circulatory system

Essentially if you arent familiar with drawing and shooting the weapon you are carrying then it doesn’t matter what you carry caliber wise.

To each their own. Lower 48 bear country I rotate between 9 and 357sig, both hard cast

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: 9mm for grizzly protection [Re: unclebubba] #7739252 02/06/20 04:53 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Personally i would want a 10mm.

I love my 9mm and it’s better than nothing, it it’s not my first choice.

I have not encountered a grizzly yet but I have black bear and I would want a bigger gun if I had the option

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: 9mm for grizzly protection [Re: unclebubba] #7739261 02/06/20 05:04 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I always wonder about this. Read about many who carry a 44 mag or 454 casull for bear defense but think anything less than a 30 can magnum rifle is too small for bears.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: 9mm for grizzly protection [Re: txtrophy85] #7739265 02/06/20 05:06 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

I have not encountered a grizzly yet but I have black bear and I would want a bigger gun if I had the option

After killing a ton of big hogs with hard cast and Leigh high 357sig and +p+ 9mm, I decided I’d be alright, especially since I would never carry a 10mm out side of 10 days a year.

I Think a big heavy 10mm pistol is a false sense of security if you seldom carry or shoot it.

Just my opinion.

Re: 9mm for grizzly protection [Re: redchevy] #7739269 02/06/20 05:09 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by redchevy
I always wonder about this. Read about many who carry a 44 mag or 454 casull for bear defense but think anything less than a 30 can magnum rifle is too small for bears.

Any pistol round is far inferior to a rifle cartridge. Most bear guides carry 12 gauges with slugs or lever action 45-70 marlins.

It’s about weight and pack ability.

Re: 9mm for grizzly protection [Re: unclebubba] #7739270 02/06/20 05:09 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
What about a shotgun? More like this than a bird gun....
[Linked Image]

Re: 9mm for grizzly protection [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7739278 02/06/20 05:18 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
[Linked Image]

Every year it seams a bird hunter in Alaska or 48 kills one with bird shot.

Re: 9mm for grizzly protection [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7739289 02/06/20 05:29 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

After killing a ton of big hogs with hard cast and Leigh high 357sig and +p+ 9mm, I decided I’d be alright, especially since I would never carry a 10mm out side of 10 days a year.

I Think a big heavy 10mm pistol is a false sense of security if you seldom carry or shoot it.

Just my opinion.

My buddy had a glock 10 mm that was pretty easy to shoot. Shot a few hogs with it and they went straight down

As tough as a hog is they are not bears

Re: 9mm for grizzly protection [Re: unclebubba] #7739291 02/06/20 05:31 PM
R
RJH1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Well 33 years and finally had to shoot one bear. Seems a lot like a normal carry gun, better to have what you will carry than something too big that you leave at camp etc. Nobody is probably going to carry a shotgun/rifle consistently while fishing or camping, but a standard size pistol in and OWB is pretty unnoticeable. After looking at these type things I think i would feel fine with my full power hardcast 40 loads, they match many 10mm loads, gust in a smaller package. 10mm/45 super and apparently the right 9mm will would be ok too. Cool article

Re: 9mm for grizzly protection [Re: unclebubba] #7739299 02/06/20 05:43 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
With a full metal jacket and the shot hitting in the brain, it should do the job but if the bullet doesn't hit the brain- not so great. We live in a world of heart/lung shots and a lot of folks automatically aim thusly.

Re: 9mm for grizzly protection [Re: syncerus] #7739301 02/06/20 05:45 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U

So, it seems that carrying a 9mm w/ hard cast is more common than I would have thought. I can see the thought process of carry what you are familiar with. What you can shoot well.

Re: 9mm for grizzly protection [Re: PMK] #7739311 02/06/20 06:01 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted by PMK

there used to be a big privately owned sporting goods store in Waco, on Valley Mills drive (if I remember correctly) that I used to frequent while in college (late 1970s). I recall one day I was admiring a full body mount brown bear that was standing with paws raised, weird spots in the center of it's chest (like bad taxidermy). An old guy walked up to me and started a conversation. Come to find out, it was the owner of the store and he was the one that shot the bear. He told me of the story as he was elk hunting when he came across the bear about 30 yards from him, who turned and started approaching him. He shouldered his Winchester 30-30 and when the bear was only about 10 yards away, it came up on its high legs, paws out like the mount. of course I was eeks333 as he continued saying he started shooting at the center of its chest (explained the bad spots) as the bear continued towards him. He knew he was getting low on ammo and shoved the end of the barrel in the bears mouth and pulled the trigger as he turned to run. The bear came crashing down on top of him and he just knew he was fixing to be dead. But as it turned out, the last bullet went thru the roof of its mouth into its brain and he died, causing him to fall on top of the man. He said he got the bear mounted in the last position he saw it before trying to run. I was like WOW!!! He went on to say that was the last time he ever carried a 30-30 into bear country as all the rounds to the chest didn't penetrate the skin and were all balled up in the fur.
Cogdel's. Spent many an hour in there listening to hunting stories and even bought a few guns from them.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: 9mm for grizzly protection [Re: Texan Til I Die] #7739316 02/06/20 06:11 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
Originally Posted by PMK

Cogdel's. Spent many an hour in there listening to hunting stories and even bought a few guns from them.

thanks, yes that sounds right! Cool store back in the day

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: 9mm for grizzly protection [Re: txtrophy85] #7739319 02/06/20 06:19 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Just my opinion.

My buddy had a glock 10 mm that was pretty easy to shoot. Shot a few hogs with it and they went straight down

As tough as a hog is they are not bears

They aren’t bears but closest thing from a plated vitals perspective.

Also in lower 48 you don’t find a ton of 500lb grizzlies either. Most recorded sow attacks are 300 lbs or <

Re: 9mm for grizzly protection [Re: unclebubba] #7739471 02/06/20 09:12 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I do like the 9mm for its high capacity.

My glock holds 15 rounds

Re: 9mm for grizzly protection [Re: unclebubba] #7739501 02/06/20 09:51 PM
R
Rounder Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
I carry a switch.

Re: 9mm for grizzly protection [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7739512 02/06/20 10:01 PM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
[Linked Image]

Oh she'll be fine with that. As the bear charges she'll just whack you in the kneecap and walk away at a casual pace. My bear advice is to never flat out kill whoever you're with, you just gotta' outrun 'em. Besides, I've heard "playing dead" is a viable defense and the bear might lose interest in them and take interest in you. Your companion will be a much better distraction if they're writhing on the ground screaming in agony.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide