Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Brisket rookie #7735817 02/02/20 09:25 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
This is like, 4th, maybe 5th I've ever done.

Trimmed and rubbed down yesterday with smoked black pepper and Holy Church Meat Cow. Wrapped in plastic, took out of fridge this morning for an hour.
On the smoke, 250° for five hours unwrapped. Foil wrap, into 250° oven, planning on five more hours.

Internal temp of 190°? Is that the magic number?

One hour rest.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Brisket rookie [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7735955 02/03/20 12:11 AM
T
TPACK Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I like my internal temp to be 205, but that's just me. I take the foil wrapped brisket out of the oven when it reaches the desired temp and wrap in a large towel and place in an ice chest for 2 hours to rest before slicing.

Re: Brisket rookie [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7735984 02/03/20 12:52 AM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
You lost me at oven. confused2

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Brisket rookie [Re: Judd] #7736195 02/03/20 03:47 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Judd

I hear ya, gotta work with what I got. My "smoker" is a Webber gas grill with a pellet tube.

Re: Brisket rookie [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7736236 02/03/20 04:55 AM
S
Scott W Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
203-205° is a good target internal temp, can go slightly higher. Let it rest until it cools down to at least 160°. Also, instead of foil, try wrapping in butcher paper, it will preserve the bark that the smoke put on it much better.

Originally Posted by Scott W
Re: Brisket rookie [Re: Scott W] #7736304 02/03/20 01:35 PM
D
decook Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D

Nothing wrong with the oven unless you're competing. Once it's wrapped the heat source can be anything. Im always asked to have the meat ready at 4PM. So that means up at 2AM for a 10lb brisket. Wrapping and the oven gives me time to take a nap so i dont have to tend a fire and the cook temp is steady for the remaining xxx hours.

Originally Posted by Scott W
203-205° is a good target internal temp, can go slightly higher. Let it rest until it cools down to at least 160°. Also, instead of foil, try wrapping in butcher paper, it will preserve the bark that the smoke put on it much better.

I cook at 225, +- 10 degrees or so. If I choose to oven it wrapped, it is 225F until the core is 197, then rest it in a cooler for an hour. The hotter meat surrounding the core will warm up and the meat wont be dry.

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: Brisket rookie [Re: decook] #7736313 02/03/20 01:44 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by decook

Nothing wrong with the oven unless you're competing. Once it's wrapped the heat source can be anything. Im always asked to have the meat ready at 4PM. So that means up at 2AM for a 10lb brisket. Wrapping and the oven gives me time to take a nap so i dont have to tend a fire and the cook temp is steady for the remaining xxx hours.

Nothing wrong with after wrapping to toss in the oven, because that is exactly what your smoker becomes once the meat is wrapped.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Brisket rookie [Re: Herbie Hancock] #7736324 02/03/20 02:05 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
Originally Posted by decook

Nothing wrong with after wrapping to toss in the oven, because that is exactly what your smoker becomes once the meat is wrapped.

yep, "old school" would consider it cheating but makes it a lot easier and steady temperature control. Also consumes a lot less wood and time. I shoot for 202-205° internal temperature ... after smoking until it hits the stall (160-165°), wrap in aluminum foil or peach/brown butcher paper and let it keep climbing either on the pit or the oven to 202° then pull off the heat, wrap in towel and place in ice chest for a hour or two. The internal temp will continue to climb a little bit.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Brisket rookie [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7736359 02/03/20 02:55 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Just to add in. I notice a lot of seasoned guys say "wrap at this temp" or "Pull at this temp". Most people are saying that for simplicity. It comes down just as much to look and feel.

Wrap it at around 160°F. But only if the bark is where you want it.

That brisket can be done anywhere from 190°F to 210°F. You want to stick a probe in it and feel the same resistance you would feel if you stuck the probe in room temp butter. A brisket that tender at 190°F will be juicier than a brisket that tender at 210°F. But Tenderness should take priority here.

Most importantly, never EVER use time as a variable to do anything with a brisket. No wrapping after 5 hours or pulling after 10. Time is irrelevant and of zero use when cooking brisket. A 15 pound brisket with heavier marbling will take longer to cook than a 15 pound brisket with less marbling.

If you want more smoke on your brisket put it on cold. Don't let it warm up. Letting meat warm up is more important with things like steaks that your going to cook quickly. When the brisket surface reaches a certain temp the smoke has a hard time penetrating. That's why it's safe to move to an oven after that. If you put the brisket on cold it the smoke can penetrate longer resulting in a smokier flavor.

When it's done cooking you need to rest it. I wrap in a towel and put it in a cooler. Ideally, the brisket needs to slowly come down to around 145°F before you start slicing into it. That can take several hours. If you can't wait just rest it as long as you can.

Re: Brisket rookie [Re: Judd] #7736487 02/03/20 05:41 PM
T
TPACK Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T

I only put the brisket in the oven after the internal temp reaches 160-165 on my offset smoker, which usually takes 5-6 hours. Then I wrap and put in the oven. No need to tend a fire with a brisket that is that is wrapped in foil.

Re: Brisket rookie [Re: Thisisbeer] #7736543 02/03/20 07:02 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Thisisbeer
Just to add in. I notice a lot of seasoned guys say "wrap at this temp" or "Pull at this temp". Most people are saying that for simplicity. It comes down just as much to look and feel.

That brisket can be done anywhere from 190°F to 210°F. You want to stick a probe in it and feel the same resistance you would feel if you stuck the probe in room temp butter. A brisket that tender at 190°F will be juicier than a brisket that tender at 210°F. But Tenderness should take priority here.

Most importantly, never EVER use time as a variable to do anything with a brisket. No wrapping after 5 hours or pulling after 10. Time is irrelevant and of zero use when cooking brisket. A 15 pound brisket with heavier marbling will take longer to cook than a 15 pound brisket with less marbling.

If you want more smoke on your brisket put it on cold. Don't let it warm up. Letting meat warm up is more important with things like steaks that your going to cook quickly. When the brisket surface reaches a certain temp the smoke has a hard time penetrating. That's why it's safe to move to an oven after that. If you put the brisket on cold it the smoke can penetrate longer resulting in a smokier flavor.

When it's done cooking you need to rest it. I wrap in a towel and put it in a cooler. Ideally, the brisket needs to slowly come down to around 145°F before you start slicing into it. That can take several hours. If you can't wait just rest it as long as you can.

well articulated!

I usually go by "feel" but have started using a thermometer to confirm the "feel" to better help me mentor / teach others that ask me questions and it's hard to explain touching and understanding the "feel" ... learned that from my dad who used to cater for large gatherings around the area I grew up and I continue to use his brisket as my scale of whether mine would meet up to his standards.

~PMK~
Re: Brisket rookie [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7736566 02/03/20 07:29 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
If I can keep it on the pit the whole time I prefer it, but I started using the oven back in college, we didn't have an offset smoker/pit so it was hard to maintain a perfect fire/temp etc. without too much fire exposure, oven made it a lot easier.

And like someone noted above you can put it in there and forget about checking your fire etc. and get a nap.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Brisket rookie [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7736572 02/03/20 07:36 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Guys it was a JOKE. Nothing more, nothing less...lighten up.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Brisket rookie [Re: Thisisbeer] #7736576 02/03/20 07:45 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by Thisisbeer

Well articulated. I have the hardest time relating that to rookies. I never use a meat thermometer. And I only use time as an estimation so I know how early to start. Roughly 1 hour per pound...give or take. Always by decide when to pull it off by feel. I can tell when it is done just by poking at it. Granted, I did screw up quite a few briskets before I got the right balance.

Re: Brisket rookie [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7736593 02/03/20 08:06 PM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
I’ve never wrapped a brisket, run them to 200-205, and usually practice the hot and fast method. 300-320 degrees really cuts down on the cooking time, can have a 12 pound brisket done in 6-8 hours.

If you doubt the quality, I’d gladly serve you some.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Brisket rookie [Re: BigPig] #7736628 02/03/20 08:53 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by BigPig
I’ve never wrapped a brisket, run them to 200-205, and usually practice the hot and fast method. 300-320 degrees really cuts down on the cooking time, can have a 12 pound brisket done in 6-8 hours.

I know several guys that run hot / fast that produce some awesome meats. For me, trying to maintain my pit that hot would be difficult and use a lot more wood, not saying it's bad, just not what I have done.

~PMK~
Re: Brisket rookie [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7736666 02/03/20 09:32 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I think the hotter temperatures really help render some of the marbling better. I think that hotter fire also burns a little cleaner and improves the flavor. I know some guys that do competitions that run in that same area. They shoot for 315 degrees. I cook around 280°F just because my stick burner seems to like that temp and stays there the best. At the end of the day I think the biggest difference is keeping the temp where your smoker likes it. Great brisket can be made anywhere from 220°F to 320°F. You just need to know your smoker and how the airflow works.

Last edited by Thisisbeer; 02/03/20 09:36 PM.
Re: Brisket rookie [Re: BigPig] #7736953 02/04/20 02:30 AM
C
Cool Mo D Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
C

When are you cooking the next one? peep

Re: Brisket rookie [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7736976 02/04/20 02:44 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
This was a 15 lb brisket, I trimmed about 2 lbs of fat off it. It cooked for a total of 10 hours @ 250 °. It turned out great, one of the better back yard briskets I've ever had. The smoked pepper and Meat Church were great, giving the bark a goof flavor. It was 190° when I took it out, unwrapped and let it set untouched for an hour. Almost beginners luck.

Re: Brisket rookie [Re: BigPig] #7736986 02/04/20 02:50 AM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U

I've tried hot and fast. Did not turn out well for me. I like around 225. I wouldn't argue with your method though. I know it works for some. I also know low and slow works for me. My low and slow has won 2 competitions so far...and I've only entered 2 so far.

Re: Brisket rookie [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7737113 02/04/20 11:38 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Some of you guys actually know your way around a brisket. I am impressed.

Re: Brisket rookie [Re: unclebubba] #7737118 02/04/20 12:03 PM
D
decook Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted by unclebubba

I've tried hot and fast. Did not turn out well for me. I like around 225. I wouldn't argue with your method though. I know it works for some. I also know low and slow works for me. My low and slow has won 2 competitions so far...and I've only entered 2 so far.

Same here unclebubba, I target 225 also. Hotter for me gave me a dried product in the flat. When I go 225 I get a supermoist product from bow to stern and the whole brisket jiggles like jello. I did one over the weekend and had my first leftovers last night - a BBQ tater. The meat still passed the pull test and was tender, juicy, and tasted great.

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: Brisket rookie [Re: Hudbone] #7737162 02/04/20 01:53 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Some of you guys actually know your way around a brisket. I am impressed.

I can definitely get through one.

Re: Brisket rookie [Re: TPACK] #7737212 02/04/20 02:28 PM
pertnear Online Content
"Demolition Man"
Online Content
"Demolition Man"
Originally Posted by TPACK
I like my internal temp to be 205, but that's just me. I take the foil wrapped brisket out of the oven when it reaches the desired temp and wrap in a large towel and place in an ice chest for 2 hours to rest before slicing.

This!

The 205 degrees is a magic number. The internal temperature should be 205 or higher for at least 5 minutes to assure any bacteria is destroyed. Briskets go into "stalls" at different temperatures per each brisket, but 160 degrees is a good rule of thumb. Once wrapped the stall will be avoided & the internal temperature will continue to increase again without a more prolonged cooking period.

"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.” - George Orwell
Re: Brisket rookie [Re: pertnear] #7737584 02/04/20 08:52 PM
J
JTS Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
J
Originally Posted by pertnear

The internal temperature should be 205 or higher for at least 5 minutes to assure any bacteria is destroyed.

I don't believe this to be true. I think you cook it up to around 200 to make it tender. I don't think a brisket has any bacteria that a steak doesn't have and a lot of people eat their steak rare.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide