[Linked Image]

Re: Grubbing mesquite [Re: activescrape] #7735089 02/01/20 05:02 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Remember seeing two large Dozers with a huge chain attached to each one clearing swaths of mesquites, seemed effective?

texas flag

Re: Grubbing mesquite [Re: Stub] #7735115 02/01/20 05:41 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by Stub
Remember seeing two large Dozers with a huge chain attached to each one clearing swaths of mesquites, seemed effective?

That will clear them but you’ll have to spray the sprouts

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Grubbing mesquite [Re: activescrape] #7735171 02/01/20 07:00 PM
J
jdk1985 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Mesquite is an absolutely beautiful wood. i love working with it.

Instagram @justinkingwoodworking
Re: Grubbing mesquite [Re: Vern1] #7735189 02/01/20 07:45 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Vern1
I'm retired and have a couple of hay fields that have been taken over.
I have a 35HP Kubota commercial tractor with backhoe.
With the 12" bucket, it makes quick work out of anything up to about 6" in diameter.
Any bigger may take an extra dip or two but they give up.
I couple of hours here and there and you can see a huge difference.

Once done, I will spot spray and not let it get out of hand again because once you get behind, the bastards take over quickly.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Grubbing mesquite [Re: Stub] #7735221 02/01/20 09:22 PM
F
Frio Town Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F

I have chained several hundred acres just to get the grass going. It doesn't rid the mesquites. To get rid of them you either need to do a good job of spraying or root plow. Unless you cut a mesquite off below the bud zone it will re-sprout. That's what you get when you just cut one off and leave it. One becomes 5 or 6 from the same system. If you don't have too many and they are rather tall you can basil treat them when the soil is dry and pulled away away from the trunk. Almost a 100% kill doing that when done properly.

"Let's Go Brandon"
Re: Grubbing mesquite [Re: Frio Town] #7735484 02/02/20 12:50 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Frio Town

I have chained several hundred acres just to get the grass going. It doesn't rid the mesquites. To get rid of them you either need to do a good job of spraying or root plow. Unless you cut a mesquite off below the bud zone it will re-sprout. That's what you get when you just cut one off and leave it. One becomes 5 or 6 from the same system. If you don't have too many and they are rather tall you can basil treat them when the soil is dry and pulled away away from the trunk. Almost a 100% kill doing that when done properly.

^^^^^

Chaining when done in warm weather is rough on snakes....but some folks might consider that a benefit. Mesquite is always an ongoing battle.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Grubbing mesquite [Re: activescrape] #7736106 02/03/20 02:36 AM
Anton Chigurh Offline
Tracker
Tracker
If you want to get it done I’d say go ahead and hire/rent a cat 320 sized excavator and grub them. We have one, and it is my preferred method of grubbing mesquite of any size and density. If very thick we will usually use a dozer or track loader to pile behind the track hoe, and if desired a skid steer to come though and clean up small stuff.

I’ve grubbed with a dozer, excavator, skid steer, and even a a little with a mini ex. If the plants are wrist sized or bigger a mid sized excavator is the best tool for the job, especially in tight ground

Of course follow up spraying will likely be required to keep an area clean. And if plants aren’t too dense Individual plant spraying ahead of time could be a good idea. Out west, I’ve seen entire areas sprayed aerially and brush left standing to rot so there are options for every scenario and budget.

Re: Grubbing mesquite [Re: Stub] #7736557 02/03/20 07:19 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K

Very effective, we did it a lot for large acreage. Soils got to be the right moisture though so it doesn't break them off.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Grubbing mesquite [Re: HogBranch] #7739215 02/06/20 04:19 PM
H
huck18 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted by HogBranch
You can cut them off with loppers or chain saw and then immediately spray with remedy and they will be dead. Quick and easy, but you have to spray right after to cut for it to work.

This. Hack and squirt. You can use Remedy or Tordon RTU.

Re: Grubbing mesquite [Re: Anton Chigurh] #7739284 02/06/20 05:25 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by Anton Chigurh
If you want to get it done I’d say go ahead and hire/rent a cat 320 sized excavator and grub them. We have one, and it is my preferred method of grubbing mesquite of any size and density. If very thick we will usually use a dozer or track loader to pile behind the track hoe, and if desired a skid steer to come though and clean up small stuff.

I’ve grubbed with a dozer, excavator, skid steer, and even a a little with a mini ex. If the plants are wrist sized or bigger a mid sized excavator is the best tool for the job, especially in tight ground

Of course follow up spraying will likely be required to keep an area clean. And if plants aren’t too dense Individual plant spraying ahead of time could be a good idea. Out west, I’ve seen entire areas sprayed aerially and brush left standing to rot so there are options for every scenario and budget.

Yep. I’m a big fan of aerial spray, but grubbing is about the only way to clear if you want the trees gone NOW.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Grubbing mesquite [Re: huck18] #7741377 02/09/20 05:44 PM
T
TOO Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted by huck18
You can cut them off with loppers or chain saw and then immediately spray with remedy and they will be dead. Quick and easy, but you have to spray right after to cut for it to work.

This. Hack and squirt. You can use Remedy or Tordon RTU.

Huck & Hog,got some questions if you don't mind.

Apply as Remedy states or just on the cut surface? Remedy directions; "Spray the root collar area, sides of the stump, and the outer portion of the cut surface, including the cambium"

This work for larger diameter mesquites? 4"-8" + diameter at base? Water solution w/suf, oil mix, or diesel mix if not the same?

Straight Remedy or a mix; reclaim, etc?

Says spray anytime even winter to stump, recommend that? Cut as close to ground level as possible?

Got a number of larger mesquites that need to be removed, any idea on how long until sure no regrowth?

Texas Outdoor Organizers
www.outdoorstexas.com
Re: Grubbing mesquite [Re: activescrape] #7742325 02/10/20 07:03 PM
H
HogBranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
We use this technique on both large and small. Just mix the remedy per instructions. I just use remedy and water and put it in a pump up sprayer. Cut the tree close to the ground and immediately after the cut spray the stump where you cut it. That is spray the cut, I don't worry about trying to spray the bark. I do this regardless of time of year, seems to work just the same. The main thing is don't wait to spray. Make the cut and then spray the cut. Don't cut ten trees and then go back and spray.

When working on small trees we use loppers, two man operation. One cuts and the other sprays. You can move very quickly with two people working.

Try a couple next time you go out to test. You will know in a month or two if it worked.

Re: Grubbing mesquite [Re: HogBranch] #7742346 02/10/20 07:16 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
We use this technique on both large and small. Just mix the remedy per instructions. I just use remedy and water and put it in a pump up sprayer. Cut the tree close to the ground and immediately after the cut spray the stump where you cut it. That is spray the cut, I don't worry about trying to spray the bark. I do this regardless of time of year, seems to work just the same. The main thing is don't wait to spray. Make the cut and then spray the cut. Don't cut ten trees and then go back and spray.

When working on small trees we use loppers, two man operation. One cuts and the other sprays. You can move very quickly with two people working.

Try a couple next time you go out to test. You will know in a month or two if it worked.

Great info, thanks! This place is golden.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Grubbing mesquite [Re: jdk1985] #7742375 02/10/20 07:38 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by jdk1985
Mesquite is an absolutely beautiful wood. i love working with it.

I love mesquite. Our fireplace mantel is a large slab of mesquite...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Grubbing mesquite [Re: HogBranch] #7742408 02/10/20 08:17 PM
T
TOO Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T

Outstanding, that's as clear as ca be on answering the questions & how long until sure it's dead.

Appreciate the clear info..

Couple of final questions/"make sure's", looks like a basic ratio is 3/4 oz to 2 oz per 2 gallon pump sprayer. That sound about right?

Again, appreciate the help & response

Texas Outdoor Organizers
www.outdoorstexas.com
Re: Grubbing mesquite [Re: TOO] #7742969 02/11/20 03:26 PM
K
KCH Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Originally Posted by TOO

Outstanding, that's as clear as ca be on answering the questions & how long until sure it's dead.

Appreciate the clear info..

Couple of final questions/"make sure's", looks like a basic ratio is 3/4 oz to 2 oz per 2 gallon pump sprayer. That sound about right?

Again, appreciate the help & response

https://texnat.tamu.edu/about/brush-busters/mesquite/stem-spray-method/

If you are spraying small tree's that are smooth see above...

I would use more than 2 ounces per gallon personally to ensure I won't have to do it again, if you cut, then spray and it doesn't kill it, it will come back as a multi-shooted brush.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide