Print Thread
Wyoming NR Pronghorn #7730434 01/28/20 01:21 AM
T
Texanfan Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
Wanted to pick the brain and try and gain some knowledge from somebody on the Forum who has accomplished a successful Wyoming non resident Pronghorn hunt with 0 PP's. I have researched my tail end off and have narrowed down my unit's that I think I want to apply for and also has public ground access with OnX maps but have some other questions that I would like to talk to somebody who has (been their and done that) to possibly help me out with the things I might not know or thing's I need to know. Thanks in advance for any body who could or would be able to answer a few questions.

Re: Wyoming NR Pronghorn [Re: Texanfan] #7730448 01/28/20 01:31 AM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
Most the pronghorn hunting I did in WY was on leftover tags and normally were the reduced price doe/fawn tags. We could get them for less than $50 each. For that reason they didn't require points but I knew some guys that drew nearly every year around Laramie. Might be worth checking out.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: Wyoming NR Pronghorn [Re: Texanfan] #7730681 01/28/20 10:34 AM
F
fonzie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Watching

FREE Hog Removal
817-823-8939
Re: Wyoming NR Pronghorn [Re: Texanfan] #7731556 01/29/20 01:09 AM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Point creep has hit the low end preference point hunter in Wyoming. Ten years ago I could put in for a high pp unit and draw a zero pp unit for my second. Last year I tried that and got zilch.

I would include looking at walk in access on on-x. We hunted a unit in southeast Wyoming nine years ago that we drew with zero pp. There wasn't a lot of public land but there was several walk in areas we were able to utilize. Some of those units also allow you to hunt parts of other units as well.

One thing to think about is if you hunt later in the year, private trespass options may open up at cheaper prices. Pronghorn hunting is (or used to be) like dove hunting in Texas. Everyone goes the first couple of weekends and then it calms down a lot. If your not hankering for a trophy you can hunt later with little pressure (if you are, go during bow season). We found out if we went to the local coffee shop or hardware store and asked about trespass opportunities we could get some inexpensive hunts in. Some of the farmers get tired of the pronghorn eating their winter wheat and may let you hunt free if you don't tear up his fields.

My advice, pick units that have a zero point history, look to see if there is walk in options and go see what it is about. I would stay away from the northeast units if you are looking for trespass hunts. That area is pretty well tied up by outfitters. But southeast units have some options. PM me and I will get more specific.

I'm going back next year. I have 10 points and hope to draw something in the red desert. It's a stretch but I'm going to give it a try.

Good Luck.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Wyoming NR Pronghorn [Re: Texanfan] #7731740 01/29/20 04:40 AM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
You all really should buy a PP when they go on sale in July for your hunt the following year. Can make a big difference in drawing a tag or not.

Re: Wyoming NR Pronghorn [Re: Texanfan] #7732048 01/29/20 04:13 PM
F
Fitzwho Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
You can also look at the Special Tag draw. It's more expensive, but opens up several units that you could draw second choice.

There were only 6 units in 2019 last year that had 100% draw as a second choice for a regular tag. There were 34 units that had 100% 2nd choice draw with the Special Tag. These were the draw odds for 2019. It is very likely that there will not be any units that you can draw second choice with a regular tag in 2020. The Special tag is more expensive obviously ($614 vs $326).

I hunted a second choice tag in 2018 and took a low 70's goat, about the same size as the other 2 I have killed. In 1 year that unit went from available for second choice with leftover tags available after the draw to only available as a first choice (0 points, but had to be first choice).

Permian_Skullworks on Instagram
Re: Wyoming NR Pronghorn [Re: Texanfan] #7732087 01/29/20 04:54 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
For some reason NR antelope hunting has kind of exploded in Wyoming, tags are relatively cheap for big game and they are just plain fun to hunt, you can find them everywhere.
Days of drawing 2nd and 3rd choice are going away it seems.
Residents are pushing for tags not drawn in out initial drawing to be placed in leftover draw instead of going straight into NR draw, that may open up some leftovers in a little better area for everyone to have a chance. I would love to see this happen, sorry guys.
Remember you have a chance to draw a tag in the random side of the draw.

Check the western hunting forums for advise on the low PP areas, lots of folks look at them and have questions, Hunttalk, Rokslide, Eastman's and Monster Muleys.

Re: Wyoming NR Pronghorn [Re: Texanfan] #7733389 01/30/20 07:10 PM
T
Texanfan Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
Fellas, thank you for the replies! I am definitely looking into the special draw as that opens up better units with more public access. I fully plan on putting in the work to put some boot leather on the ground to scout and get away from the roads and the hunters that want to shoot 50' from the truck! I am also taking advantage of the other forums mentioned as well for research. Not looking for a trophy, just want to be successful with a decent representation of the species to get my feet wet for my first out of state hunt!

Re: Wyoming NR Pronghorn [Re: Texanfan] #7733480 01/30/20 08:23 PM
F
Fitzwho Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
If you specifically want to draw a second choice tag in the Special draw, make sure you pick a unit that you won't draw with the Special Tag and the number of points you have. That will allow you to build bonus points as well.

There are 10 additional units that you can draw with the Special Tag as a first choice with 0 points. With the 4 points that I have, I could draw 75 units as First Choice with the Special Tag.

Permian_Skullworks on Instagram
Re: Wyoming NR Pronghorn [Re: Texanfan] #7734296 01/31/20 04:37 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Good advice Fitz.
Second choice tags do not take your PP.

Don;t forget you can get 2 reduced price doe tags in first draw then up to 2 more in leftover draw, also a second buck tag in leftover draw.
Your doe tags do not have to be in the same area as your buck, or any antelope, tag.
You can also check the box that takes your doe tag app out of the draw if you don't draw a buck tag.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide