Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: I don’t know what I’m doing. [Re: Cast] #7732280 01/29/20 07:24 PM
Cast Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
It’s my first gumbo so I’m following a recipe. The trinity and garlic was chopped fine in a Ninja before adding it and sliced sausage to roux and simmering. I was looking for a monogany roux and it matched a picture of a mahogany roux so I went with it.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: I don’t know what I’m doing. [Re: unclebubba] #7732289 01/29/20 07:29 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by unclebubba
Roux was not dark enough IMO. And, I am a little confused. Did you put the veggies in with the roux before cooking down? Am I backwards? I make a nice dark roux, and set aside. In pot cook down Green peppers, onion, and celery, add stock, meat, seasonings and simmer for a long while. Then add roux and simmmer for a long while. Then add okra last as simmer for a short while. (this is also when adding shrimp if making seafood gumbo).

I cook the veg in the hot roux.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: I don’t know what I’m doing. [Re: Cast] #7732306 01/29/20 07:35 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I learned from my Grandma Comeaux - she made the best gumbo ever, mine is the 2nd best - and sorry, yes, I use store bought roux - much easier. Pretty simple and we like our gumbo thin - more soup than stew. Green onion, celery, sausage, chicken, shrimp - mix all with roux and water, bring to full boil, then let simmer for as long as needed. Don't skimp on Tony's. No celery, beans, or other superfluous ingredients. Pour over rice and enjoy with crackers or sweet cornbread. Easy peasy!

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: I don’t know what I’m doing. [Re: pegasaurus] #7732310 01/29/20 07:38 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by pegasaurus
Beans???

roflmao up cheers

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: I don’t know what I’m doing. [Re: Cast] #7732311 01/29/20 07:40 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
In my youth, I was a cook at Don's Seafood in Lafayette, so I've cooked more roux and gumbo than ya'll will see in your life. I still think they have the best authentic So. La/Cajun prepped food around.

I'm always fascinated by the gumbo recipes that pop up in the food section, creative... I'll give you a few pointers on making real So. La. gumbo .

- Buy roux in the jar. (You've heard that but it's worth repeating)
- Cook down your onions/bell pepper/garlic and celery in butter first. You have more onion than bell pepper and more bell pepper than celery. Should be about 1/4 or more of your final pot to start.
- While that's going, cook your stock of whatever you're making (Shrimp, Chicken, Crab, etc.) in a big pot of water. This will become your primary gumbo base and is key. Cook until about halfway done.
- Remove any larger unidentied floating pieces of stuff in said water after removing the stock.
- Pour your stock water in your vege's. Get to a simmer and begin adding roux for color and thickness. Not too dark, not to thick or it will taste "roux-y". Give the roux time to do it's thing before adding more, particularly as it pertains to thickness. More you cook, thicker it will get.
- If sausage is in your mix, put it in sliced/uncooked. Tasso is always a good thing to add for most anything, poultry or seafood.
- Add your stock of whatever and begin seasoning to your taste.
- Cook until you have color/consistency of your choosing. I'm usually simmering here for an hour or so.

- Okra is largely only common for Shrimp/Okra, sometimes Chicken/Sausage, though everyone here seems to think it's in every variety, sorry, it's just not.
- Tomatoes, Beans, Noodles, Corn only go in soup, not gumbo.

You do need to get you a jar of File' to go with your bowl, just a couple of pinches. It's on Amazon, grocery stores here are hit and miss.

I'm only trying to protect the foods of my home state from a Texas thrashing.... carry on, you've been properly instructed.

Charlie

Re: I don’t know what I’m doing. [Re: Cast] #7732370 01/29/20 08:29 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Don't overlook the shrimp! They are very easy to overlook. They should still be translucent. Mbavo had a picture the other day and his shrimp were done just right. He added them at the very last.

Re: I don’t know what I’m doing. [Re: Cast] #7732401 01/29/20 08:49 PM
Cast Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
I just added the raw shrimp and canned crab meat. It’s at a low simmer for about 20 minutes and it’s done. I will add 2 tbsp file powder just before serving.

Cast

[Linked Image]

Re: I don’t know what I’m doing. [Re: CharlieCTx] #7732403 01/29/20 08:50 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
In my youth, I was a cook at Don's Seafood in Lafayette, so I've cooked more roux and gumbo than ya'll will see in your life. I still think they have the best authentic So. La/Cajun prepped food around.

I'm always fascinated by the gumbo recipes that pop up in the food section, creative... I'll give you a few pointers on making real So. La. gumbo .

- Buy roux in the jar. (You've heard that but it's worth repeating)
- Cook down your onions/bell pepper/garlic and celery in butter first. You have more onion than bell pepper and more bell pepper than celery. Should be about 1/4 or more of your final pot to start.
- While that's going, cook your stock of whatever you're making (Shrimp, Chicken, Crab, etc.) in a big pot of water. This will become your primary gumbo base and is key. Cook until about halfway done.
- Remove any larger unidentied floating pieces of stuff in said water after removing the stock.
- Pour your stock water in your vege's. Get to a simmer and begin adding roux for color and thickness. Not too dark, not to thick or it will taste "roux-y". Give the roux time to do it's thing before adding more, particularly as it pertains to thickness. More you cook, thicker it will get.
- If sausage is in your mix, put it in sliced/uncooked. Tasso is always a good thing to add for most anything, poultry or seafood.
- Add your stock of whatever and begin seasoning to your taste.
- Cook until you have color/consistency of your choosing. I'm usually simmering here for an hour or so.

- Okra is largely only common for Shrimp/Okra, sometimes Chicken/Sausage, though everyone here seems to think it's in every variety, sorry, it's just not.
- Tomatoes, Beans, Noodles, Corn only go in soup, not gumbo.

You do need to get you a jar of File' to go with your bowl, just a couple of pinches. It's on Amazon, grocery stores here are hit and miss.

I'm only trying to protect the foods of my home state from a Texas thrashing.... carry on, you've been properly instructed.

Charlie

good to know as I have tried several times from online recipes that I give mixed reviews. My wife doesn't care for gumbo, so I rarely attempt unless she is out of town and I am left to my own creations.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: I don’t know what I’m doing. [Re: Cast] #7732475 01/29/20 09:43 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Dang autocorrect. My post should say don't over cook the shrimp.

Re: I don’t know what I’m doing. [Re: jetdad] #7732476 01/29/20 09:45 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by jetdad

Yep. Ten minutes is enough.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: I don’t know what I’m doing. [Re: Cast] #7732478 01/29/20 09:46 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Good job adding the Okra Cast, don't listen to those lightweights rofl bolt

texas flag

Re: I don’t know what I’m doing. [Re: Cast] #7732522 01/29/20 10:12 PM
Cast Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
I pulled it early for the shrimp. Added a couple shakes file and served it over long grain. Mama had three bowls, I had two. I’ll get this recipe right next time.

Damn I’m good!!

Cast

[Linked Image]

Re: I don’t know what I’m doing. [Re: Cast] #7732599 01/29/20 10:57 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Came out looking great! food

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: I don’t know what I’m doing. [Re: Cast] #7732867 01/30/20 03:31 AM
Gumbeaux Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
My grandmother used to make and store roux long before you could buy roux in a jar. Scratch roux is better but not sure it's better enough to justify the effort. If I'm cooking for a crowd I'll make it from scratch, if not, I'll use jar.

I like okra in my gumbo but don't always add it. It will definitely thicken things up if you like it thicker.

I also put a light smoke on my fresh sausage before adding it. I like the flavor it adds.

[Linked Image]
Re: I don’t know what I’m doing. [Re: snake oil] #7732934 01/30/20 06:09 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Way to go Cast, bout time you got after some gumbo!

One thing I’ve learned about Cajuns and gumbo, everybody’s recipe/way of doing it is the only “right” way. If you do it different then you don’t know what you’re doing lol. Families that live a block away from each other cooking gumbo for generations fussin’ with each other about ingredients just like we fuss about real chili and a proper Texas brisket. Everybody’s a gumbo purist smile Just don’t put tomatoes or Rotel in a gumbo and call it Cajun, that’s Creole. I like okra in all my gumbos, and there’s a couple of different ways to cook the okra without it being slimy. IMO a gumbo is not supposed to be real dark and thick, stews are dark & thick. There’s a difference between a gumbo and a stew in Cajun Country, most Texans don’t know that.

Anyway, put whatever you want in there as far as meat. Some of the best gumbo I’ve ever eaten had it all in there, and I’ve made it that way plenty of times. Chicken/sausage/tasso/shrimp/crawfish/crab/oysters/eggs. The ol’ boy that made it come right out da swamp, webbed feet n all. He said dat’s da way we make a gumbo, I ain’t worried about how dat boy over dere makes his. grin

Oh, and geaux Tigas!

Re: I don’t know what I’m doing. [Re: Gumbeaux] #7732936 01/30/20 06:29 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux
My grandmother used to make and store roux long before you could buy roux in a jar. Scratch roux is better but not sure it's better enough to justify the effort. If I'm cooking for a crowd I'll make it from scratch, if not, I'll use jar.

I like okra in my gumbo but don't always add it. It will definitely thicken things up if you like it thicker.

I also put a light smoke on my fresh sausage before adding it. I like the flavor it adds.

Yes Sir. IMO there is a difference between scratch & store bought roux. I always make scratch, but keep a jar for backup in case I need more. I ain’t lazy, nothing like an 8-10 beer roux.
grin grin

Re: I don’t know what I’m doing. [Re: bill oxner] #7732938 01/30/20 06:32 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Originally Posted by jetdad

Yep. Ten minutes is enough.

I do 5 minutes on the shrimp.

Re: I don’t know what I’m doing. [Re: CharlieCTx] #7732939 01/30/20 06:34 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
Originally Posted by pdr55
A dark roux is accomplished with very hot grease, it’s almost dangerous to make. Plus there’s a lot of smoke.
Yours should be fine.

Dark roux is just cooked longer, it's not about hot grease. Hot grease is how you make a mess, burn yourself and likely burn the roux.

Charlie

What he said. ^^^^

Re: I don’t know what I’m doing. [Re: Cast] #7732951 01/30/20 07:08 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Cast
...and can I sub Old Bay for Tony Chachere’s?

You can, but I wouldn’t. I need to send you a can or two of Fremin’s Magic Dust, made in New Iberia. I just ordered another case of it. It’ll be hard to use anything else after you try it. I’ll shoot you a PM for a shipping address.

Re: I don’t know what I’m doing. [Re: Cast] #7733095 01/30/20 02:56 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Now I want to make gumbo.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: I don’t know what I’m doing. [Re: skinnerback] #7733117 01/30/20 03:13 PM
Cast Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by skinnerback

You can, but I wouldn’t. I need to send you a can or two of Fremin’s Magic Dust, made in New Iberia. I just ordered another case of it. It’ll be hard to use anything else after you try it. I’ll shoot you a PM for a shipping address.

Thanks! I’ll take you up on that. I’ll offer a couple 6 oz bottles of Cajun Chef green Tabasco peppers in vinegar for your greens. I just received a case of those. Or would you rather have some of their spicy pickled green tomatoes?

Cast

[Linked Image]

Re: I don’t know what I’m doing. [Re: skinnerback] #7733129 01/30/20 03:24 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by skinnerback

I personally prefer Slap Dat over Tony C's, way less salt.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: I don’t know what I’m doing. [Re: Gumbeaux] #7733130 01/30/20 03:25 PM
Cast Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux

My mama taught me to make gravy in a cast iron skillet as soon as I was tall enough to stir the skillet. She would scold me if I bought roux in a jar. I can hear her now, ‘It’s just gravy cooked longer to get a nice color.’

The one thing I was worried about making correctly was the roux. I was scared I would burn it. I shouldn’t have worried, it was a piece of cake.

Don’t worry mama, I’ll make roux from scratch using bacon fat and flour, just like you taught me.

[Linked Image]

See? I’m loaded for bear.

Cast

[Linked Image]

Re: I don’t know what I’m doing. [Re: Cast] #7733222 01/30/20 05:00 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
you can buy bacon grease? man, I've always just cooked bacon and saved the grease ... dang, I've learned several things from this thread

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: I don’t know what I’m doing. [Re: PMK] #7733321 01/30/20 06:23 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by PMK
you can buy bacon grease? man, I've always just cooked bacon and saved the grease ... dang, I've learned several things from this thread

I've seen those tubs of bacon grease at Buc-ee's.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide