T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Just ordered a pair of Mountain Extremes

anyone use kenetrek boots?

Normally these would be pricier than I would spend but I had some gift cards that I used up.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Kenetrek boots [Re: txtrophy85] #7731649 01/29/20 02:27 AM
T
Theringworm Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
I have the Mountain Extremes. I typically wear them for my Colorado elk hunts. However, I recently took them to Alaska to wear bear hunting up in the mountains after I had tagged out on my moose and dumped the waders. They performed well and definitely kept my feet very warm. No heel slip to mention of, which is typically the biggest issue I have with hiking/hunting/mountaineering boots. No hot spots. I really enjoy wearing them, however they do have their limits. The only negative I can say about them (they obviously aren't specifically built/intended for this imo, as I know there are better boots to do this in) is they are not meant for any prolonged "side hilling". I figured they would perform a little better at this but the ankle supports were no match for the steep terrain we were hiking on. They initially withstood about a 1/2 mile of steep side hilling but once they "let go" it was all over from then on. I tried different lacing patterns and degrees of "tightness" but they just simply aren't meant to side hill in for prolonged periods of time. In Colorado, they have performed great, but I also haven't encountered any super steep terrain where I hunt in Colorado that required prolonged side hilling where only the inner 1/3 of your sole is touching the ground and the outer 2/3 is off the ground.

Re: Kenetrek boots [Re: txtrophy85] #7731654 01/29/20 02:36 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I'm not built to sidehill any prolonged period of time either, but I believe I've gotten myself into a bit of a sticky wicket on an upcoming hunt. grin

I'll be looking into Kennetrek "climbing boots", whatever those are. 'Makes everything hurt just typing "climbing boots."

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Kenetrek boots [Re: Creekrunner] #7731670 01/29/20 02:48 AM
T
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
I'm not built to sidehill any prolonged period of time either, but I believe I've gotten myself into a bit of a sticky wicket on an upcoming hunt. grin

I'll be looking into Kennetrek "climbing boots", whatever those are. 'Makes everything hurt just typing "climbing boots."

Just remember, the hike starts at sea level and won't get much higher in elevation than that of your current residency, so you won't have to worry about altitude sickness peep

Re: Kenetrek boots [Re: txtrophy85] #7731715 01/29/20 03:53 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Creek look at the Lowa GTX Evo extreme. Everyone I know who has Lowa boots raves about them.

I bought kenetrek because I had the gift cards and bass pro / cabelas doesent carry them but had I not I probably would have bought Lowas

Mine should be here in a few days I’ll let you know what I think at the Kenetreks

According to our Newfie outfitter, all we need in the way of specialty gear is a pair of over the ankle waterproof boots and a light rain suit

Re: Kenetrek boots [Re: txtrophy85] #7731742 01/29/20 04:43 AM
A
AZ_Hunter_2000 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
I have Kenetrek Mountain Extremes (non insulated). No issues with them in AK (grizzly, Dall sheep), Mexico (Coues), AZ (Coues, black bear). Picked up a pair of Kenetrek Hard Scrabble to act as a backup pair or for use in less rugged areas. They are currently being broken in.

Feet are a very personal thing and no single boot is perfect for everyone.

Re: Kenetrek boots [Re: AZ_Hunter_2000] #7731821 01/29/20 12:50 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by AZ_Hunter_2000
I have Kenetrek Mountain Extremes (non insulated). No issues with them in AK (grizzly, Dall sheep), Mexico (Coues), AZ (Coues, black bear). Picked up a pair of Kenetrek Hard Scrabble to act as a backup pair or for use in less rugged areas. They are currently being broken in.

Feet are a very personal thing and no single boot is perfect for everyone.

This is good to know! I bought the 400 gram version and figured i can adjust for temp. By varying on socks.

Like you, I hunt vary different terrain, one week I may be in Arizona or Wyoming then a few weeks later I’m at 10k feet chasing elk and Mule deer. Good to know you have had success with them.

I have a back up pair of Irish setter vaportrax. I like the boot, almost zero break in and very comfortable, but to get the weight down they used this material on the sole that is a lot like what you would see on a pair of crocs. The rocks are chewing them up and I don’t think I’ll get much more life out of them, although I will try and have them resoled as they are a very lightweight boot perfect for desert mountain hunts

Re: Kenetrek boots [Re: txtrophy85] #7731927 01/29/20 02:49 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
I have heel issues with Kenetrek and Schnees/gronell, but well built boots.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Kenetrek boots [Re: txtrophy85] #7731995 01/29/20 03:27 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Meindle USA has the same boot Cabelas used to sell , it's a good one. The spouse loves them, Vakuum Hunter.

Re: Kenetrek boots [Re: txtrophy85] #7732039 01/29/20 04:06 PM
T
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
Let me refine my statement above. The Kennetreks are great boots. My favorites pair to wear thus far. I bought them to replace my Meindels which I loved but have worn out. The Kennetreks are better IMO. During warmer hunts I move over to my Zamberlans, but everything else I run the Kennetreks. Well built, great footbed, sole traction is phenomenal. Hard to complain about anything honestly. My reference to the side hilling above was on terrain so steep we had to wear mid-sole crampons to prevent us from sliding. Most hiking/hunting boots would fail in this terrain unless they were true mountaineering boots. Don’t be worried, I simply wore the wrong boots for that job. If they fit your feet well, you should really like them.

Re: Kenetrek boots [Re: Theringworm] #7732564 01/29/20 10:37 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Theringworm
...we had to wear mid-sole crampons to prevent us from sliding...
If this is required, this south Texas fatboy has absolutely no business being there.

I have narrow feet. A rare thing in modern 'Merica these days. About a true, in the old days, 'B'. My choices of a truly great fitting boot are extremely limited. And I need snake boots for the ranch too. It's been a PITA my entire life. Mom made me wear a girl's shoe once to school, 'cause they run narrower. (SUPPOSEDLY identical to the boy's tennis shoe.) Thom McAn retail store on San Pedro at Oblate. I remember it like it was yesterday. Once she had her mind set, she was not to be trifled with. It scarred me for life. True story. Hey, Hemingway's mother dressed him in actual girl's clothing 'til he was what, like six? (HUGE part of the problem.) I think I can get past this without blowing my brains out with a fine shotgun. grin

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Kenetrek boots [Re: Creekrunner] #7734144 01/31/20 02:08 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Theringworm
...we had to wear mid-sole crampons to prevent us from sliding...
If this is required, this south Texas fatboy has absolutely no business being there.

I have narrow feet. A rare thing in modern 'Merica these days. About a true, in the old days, 'B'. My choices of a truly great fitting boot are extremely limited. And I need snake boots for the ranch too. It's been a PITA my entire life. Mom made me wear a girl's shoe once to school, 'cause they run narrower. (SUPPOSEDLY identical to the boy's tennis shoe.) Thom McAn retail store on San Pedro at Oblate. I remember it like it was yesterday. Once she had her mind set, she was not to be trifled with. It scarred me for life. True story. Hey, Hemingway's mother dressed him in actual girl's clothing 'til he was what, like six? (HUGE part of the problem.) I think I can get past this without blowing my brains out with a fine shotgun. grin

Just grab a set of katoola micro spikes or hilsound trail ultra.

Basically just enough spike to keep you from busting your butt on light snow ascents in grass etc but tennis shoe friendly.

Hell I put mine on for a heavy ascent in the rain.

Narrow feet is easy just switch to more of an alpine boot that laces down to the toe, Crispi Briksdale, Hanwag Combi marka, Salewa rapace/raven

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Kenetrek boots [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7734568 01/31/20 11:39 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
... Crispi Briksdale, Hanwag Combi marka, Salewa rapace/raven

Impressive, but...you're speakin' Greek to me. I'll look. And thanks! up

Re: Kenetrek boots [Re: txtrophy85] #7734814 02/01/20 03:29 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Got the boots

Very surprised at how well made they are. Stiff and I can tell they will need some breaking in.

Creek, I think these would fit you very well. I have a narrowish foot and these fit like a dream

Re: Kenetrek boots [Re: Creekrunner] #7735057 02/01/20 04:00 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
... Crispi Briksdale, Hanwag Combi marka, Salewa rapace/raven

Impressive, but...you're speakin' Greek to me. I'll look. And thanks! up

Google “katoola micro spikes” 13oz of cheap insurance. After you see them they will make more sense

All those boots mentioned above lace to about where your toes start growing out of your foot.

Texas absolutely suckss for trying on real mountain boots. Best thing is find a company with a great return policy and start ordering and returning

Re: Kenetrek boots [Re: txtrophy85] #7735063 02/01/20 04:07 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Got the boots

Very surprised at how well made they are. Stiff and I can tell they will need some breaking in.

Creek, I think these would fit you very well. I have a narrowish foot and these fit like a dream

Keep them oiled and they will last for an extremely long time.

Re: Kenetrek boots [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7735793 02/02/20 08:34 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Got the boots

does Kenetrek make a boot oil? or have one they recommend?

I was used to spraying all my other boots with Kiwi Camp Dry waterproof spray. I love that stuff I hose everything down with it

Re: Kenetrek boots [Re: txtrophy85] #7735802 02/02/20 09:02 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Got the boots

does Kenetrek make a boot oil? or have one they recommend?

I was used to spraying all my other boots with Kiwi Camp Dry waterproof spray. I love that stuff I hose everything down with it

They have their own. Don’t use kiwi camp dry on leather boots it’s a silicon and kills breathablilty, it’s not an oil either, just a DWR

I use crispi cream(oil) and grangers DWR

Some of the synthetic oils/creams will cause the glue on the rands to give so becareful

Re: Kenetrek boots [Re: txtrophy85] #7737106 02/04/20 11:04 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Bobo, what’s a DWR?

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Kenetrek boots [Re: Dave Davidson] #7737107 02/04/20 11:21 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
Bobo, what’s a DWR?

Durable Water Repellent

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Kenetrek boots [Re: txtrophy85] #7737134 02/04/20 12:50 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Dad used Snow Proof. I always keep a can around. The smell of it always makes me think of hunting season.

Re: Kenetrek boots [Re: stxranchman] #7737156 02/04/20 01:49 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by stxranchman
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
Bobo, what’s a DWR?

Durable Water Repellent

Yelp, when ever you have water bead up on any fabric or leather it’s been treated with a DWR.

Popular brands are Grangers, Nikiwax, ReviveX

Technically just because a rain jacket has goretex etc, it’s can still fail if the outer fabric gets saturated, thus the DWR

Normal laundry detergent also breaks down DWR’s.

Re: Kenetrek boots [Re: txtrophy85] #7738049 02/05/20 04:38 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
I spray everything with kiwi camp dry spray and have good luck with it. I will not spray these boots but did spray my Irish setters ( not leather ) and most all my hunting attire.

I’ve pushed a lot of my waterproof gear where they were not waterproof anymore so I feel the kiwi silicone spray offers another measure of protection

Re: Kenetrek boots [Re: txtrophy85] #7738123 02/05/20 01:09 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
I spray everything with kiwi camp dry spray and have good luck with it. I will not spray these boots but did spray my Irish setters ( not leather ) and most all my hunting attire.

I’ve pushed a lot of my waterproof gear where they were not waterproof anymore so I feel the kiwi silicone spray offers another measure of protection

I used it on backpacks and tents, it’s good stuff.

Re: Kenetrek boots [Re: txtrophy85] #7751604 02/20/20 06:09 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Took them out on their maiden voyage the other day. Boots are comfortable but stuff....still needing more breaking. Walked probably 3-4 miles on level terrain and next day had sore ankles

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide