Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7730131 01/27/20 09:45 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
For the record, I am in no way against bow hunting, I hope to get a shot with my bow this weekend, long after the benefits of bow season have worn off grin

It's hell eatin em live
Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: txshntr] #7730223 01/27/20 11:08 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by txshntr
Originally Posted by ChrisB

Sorry, but that is so outdated it has no relevance anymore. No comparison a bow made in 1972 and 2020. I'll accept the 80-90 percent loss with modern archery equipment. Still the facts are rifles wound far more deer every year than bows.

Distorted figure for sure as there are hundreds of thousands more rifle hunters than bow hunters. When it comes to percentage shot at versus recovered, I don't think the facts would align with your argument.

Be like taking 100 rifle hunters and they lose 12 deer. Then taking 30 bow hunters and they lose 8 deer. Then saying "rifle hunters lose more deer." confused2

Yep.

ChrisB, I understand your perspective because you stated you are on a bow only lease. This means hunters that take bow hunting seriously and practice regularly. I would be curious to see statistics that track bow only leases although they probably don't exist.......I would venture to guess if they do it would show numbers more in support of your belief........the problems come into play with dual hunting leases......guys that want to start early so they get a bow but are really gun hunters........they shoot it a couple times at the target and start hunting.......this is where the landowner concern comes from and rightly so IMO.........

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: Mr. T.] #7730241 01/27/20 11:18 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Here is data from a state study:
In a major study done in 1989 by Glen Boydston and Horace Gore, wildlife biologists at
the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, they compared data on archery and gun
wounding losses gathered at four wildlife management areas in Texas from 1972
through 1985. During this period, archers bagged 128 deer and wounded and failed to
retrieve 130 others, for a crippling loss exceeding 50%—revealing that for every deer
legally killed and recovered by a bowhunter, at least one or more deer were wounded
and left to die in a slow and painful manner. Gun hunters killed 2,266 deer and wounded
150 others for a crippling loss of 7%. Thus, only 1 out of every 14 deer shot with guns
was not retrieved.
In bowhunting, wounding and crippling losses are inevitable.

This data sounds correct judging from my personal experience bow hunting 20 years ago. I was on a lease in Tennessee with 15 other men that grew up bow hunting due to the long bow season and short rifle season. Feeders were also illegal. I know more deer were shot and wounded on this place than were drug into camp. We spent a lot of nights searching for blood.
I never did care for bow hunting, I enjoy shooting a bow much more than hunting with one and practiced daily. I lost one out of three deer that year. The doe I lost was shot at 20 yards and I Hit her right behind the shoulder. I expected her to drop as she ran through the brush and kept going, blood trail started good but petered out. Arrow passed all the way through and was Covered in blood. If a bow was just as efficient as a rifle we’d still be fighting wars with them. I’m not against bow hunting but I’m not going to buy into them being as efficient as a rifle.

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7730369 01/28/20 12:51 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Originally Posted by ChrisB

Sorry, but that is so outdated it has no relevance anymore. No comparison a bow made in 1972 and 2020. I'll accept the 80-90 percent loss with modern archery equipment. Still the facts are rifles wound far more deer every year than bows.

Distorted figure for sure as there are hundreds of thousands more rifle hunters than bow hunters. When it comes to percentage shot at versus recovered, I don't think the facts would align with your argument.

Be like taking 100 rifle hunters and they lose 12 deer. Then taking 30 bow hunters and they lose 8 deer. Then saying "rifle hunters lose more deer." confused2

Yep.

ChrisB, I understand your perspective because you stated you are on a bow only lease. This means hunters that take bow hunting seriously and practice regularly. I would be curious to see statistics that track bow only leases although they probably don't exist.......I would venture to guess if they do it would show numbers more in support of your belief........the problems come into play with dual hunting leases......guys that want to start early so they get a bow but are really gun hunters........they shoot it a couple times at the target and start hunting.......this is where the landowner concern comes from and rightly so IMO.........

Agree. I am a bowhunter 90% of the time, if not more. Love it and wouldn't hunt anywhere that wouldn't allow me to do it, but I also know what the statistics would be if they could or would track it.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7730464 01/28/20 01:48 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
And now we have air guns to hunt with. Wonder what the wounded animals will look like now?

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: txtrophy85] #7730470 01/28/20 01:54 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Give me an experienced archer vs. a inexperienced rifle hunter any day

Yep.

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: txshntr] #7730479 01/28/20 02:03 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by don k
I am wondering with all the crying about landowners not allowing archery if the bow hunters will do enough crying to the right people. Then it will become law that bow hunters can't be discriminated against and you have to allow that type of hunting. Now don't some of you bow hunters get your panties in a wad, I'm just messing with you.

Kind of like rifle hunters crying because bow hunters get to get in the woods a month earlier so since it isn't "fair" all seasons should be equal? Even though everyone has the same oppurtunity to pick up a bow, since they don't bow hunt it needs to be changed!!

rofl

Sums it up pretty well. I've heard all kinds of whining because I had a "jump start" on that shooter buck. They just can't stand it. The whole "you're gonna wound a bunch of deer" thing is total BS.

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: krmitchell] #7730485 01/28/20 02:08 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by krmitchell
And now we have air guns to hunt with. Wonder what the wounded animals will look like now?

Haven't seen any yet, but I have seen a couple piles of dead pigs killed with a 357 cal air rifle. up

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7730503 01/28/20 02:27 AM
B
bphillips Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Every rule that seems stupid is there because of a Hunter ever more stupid

I’m a bow hunter first so I understand my limitations and the need for regular practice. Some people pick it up and think they hit a target two times a year so they’re ready to hunt. I’ve lost one animal since I started 14-15yrs ago and it was my first

[Linked Image]
Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7730543 01/28/20 03:01 AM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P

Last edited by Palehorse; 01/28/20 03:05 AM.
Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7730553 01/28/20 03:10 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Bow hunters are the bicycle riders of hunting

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: Palehorse] #7730558 01/28/20 03:13 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Palehorse

I think that lung diagram in the first article is a little exaggerated. Seems like it goes way too far back.

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7730785 01/28/20 02:09 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Not sure what is in any persons and or land owners mind as to archery hunting. As a young man 55 years ago with a recurve bow and a 26" draw length l wounded and lost several deer. Actually gave up on the sport. When the compound arrived I gave it another try. I harvested about 20 deer with no loses after that advancement. I never shoot beyond 20 yards and learned self control. Also as noted you cannot practice a couple rounds the weekend before and expect to be a successful, ethical and humane hunter. Consistently, every shot hitting a 2" bull is the minimal capability you must achieve. Archery is from my prospective the ultimate hunting activity. Keeping in mind the range limitation, and all the associated skills required to get within that range defines the zenith of hunting prowess. I have passed the time where I can achieve these minimal shooting skills and will not chance harming these wonderful animals however keeping in mind the range limitation mine still at 20 yards the cross bow is now my access to the longer season.

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7730802 01/28/20 02:24 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I missed my first shot ever with a bow, hit the bottom of the window in the pop up I was in. Past that never missed or lost an animal again with a bow. I limit my shots to 30 yards max on deer and I sure like it if I can get them closer, my furthest has been 23 yards on deer, I did shoot a javalina at 47 yards, it was far from my best shot and not one I was terribly proud of the end result, none the less he was recovered within 10 yards of the shot.

I don't believe most people limit themselves nearly as much so and while I do not doubt at all that im far from the best or even one of the better bow shots I think increased range opens you up to a lot of room for potential failure. When the animal is fast enough to significantly move before your arrow arrives at its intended mark you are going to have varying results.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7730807 01/28/20 02:29 PM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
As a landowner, I get to make the decisions, seems simple to me.

Why do bow hunters get so wound up if the landowner does not want bow hunting on his place?

I am finding lessors do not follow the land owners rules and then want to argue about compliance.

I am leasing now, but when the current agreement is up, that will end my leasing days.

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7730813 01/28/20 02:33 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
When you make someone a favorite it's only natural they expect more than everyone else.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: fishdfly] #7730864 01/28/20 02:59 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by fishdfly

Why do bow hunters get so wound up if the landowner does not want bow hunting on his place?

I am finding lessors do not follow the land owners rules and then want to argue about compliance.

I am leasing now, but when the current agreement is up, that will end my leasing days.

That’s unfortunate but I’m sure after dealing with morons years over year it just doesn’t become worth it anymore.

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7730902 01/28/20 03:30 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
I prefer blondes.

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: fishdfly] #7730920 01/28/20 03:51 PM
R
RJH1 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
R

I bowhunt primarily now and don't understand why anyone would be wound up if a landowner didn't want whatever type of hunting on their place. I agree lessors and land owners should follow agreed upon rules, anything else seems silly. If i was looking for a place to hunt and the place i was looking at didn't allow bowhunting, i would simply move on. Free market economy is a great thing.

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: Texas Dan] #7730929 01/28/20 03:59 PM
R
RJH1 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
When you make someone a favorite it's only natural they expect more than everyone else.

So who is the favorite, rifle hunters cause they are allowed, or bowhunters cause they get an extra season?

For what it is worth, where i hunt is mld and i can rifle hunt the same time that i can bowhunt, i just choose to bowhunt,, but in the future it is likely i will rifle hunt again.

Also really how is anyone a favorite, anyone can buy a bow and most can buy a rifle and take advantage of either, if they choose. I guess that option leaves out bellyaching and worrying about what other people are doing, so most don't care for that.

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7730942 01/28/20 04:14 PM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
I was sitting at work on graveyards and 2 of the guys who hunt, one a bow hunter and the other a rifle hunter, started discussing the virtues of the way each hunted.

The longer they talked the more the discussion became heated. After a bit I hinted that they might should switch to fishing.

The rifle hunter said fine, all I want to know if he wears them faggety green leotards and little pointy shoes when he bow hunts.

They had to be separated at that point.

My reluctance to bow hunting is most hunters do not know how to trail a wounded deer nor do they have the patience to do it.
They give up the search and their attitude is, I'll just shoot another deer.

Land owners look at hunting different than those who lease the land.

All of my neighbors have quit leasing now.

Last edited by fishdfly; 01/28/20 04:23 PM.
Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: Texas Dan] #7730956 01/28/20 04:24 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Favorite? That entire argument smacks of a guy who does absolutely nothing to earn a promotion and then bitches because he didn't get it. Any hunter in this state can take up bow hunting if he/she chooses. I he/she chooses not to bow hunt, it does not make those who do favorites of anything. That whole thought process is just asinine.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: fishdfly] #7730975 01/28/20 04:34 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted by Grizz

Favorite? That entire argument smacks of a guy who does absolutely nothing to earn a promotion and then bitches because he didn't get it. Any hunter in this state can take up bow hunting if he/she chooses. I he/she chooses not to bow hunt, it does not make those who do favorites of anything. That whole thought process is just asinine.

rofl Someone has something that someone else doesn't and they don't want to work for it or put in the extra time and effort...it just isn't fair!!!

People in general get wound up if someone doesn't do it their way. Take the above post for instance. But most the hunters that I know don't get wound up if a landowner doesn't allow bow hunting, they just won't hunt there. No different than landowners that don't allow rifle hunting, a rifle hunter wouldn't hunt there. Sure don't see a reason to fault the landowner.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7730976 01/28/20 04:35 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Just wondering, do bow hunters have any objection to hunting HF? What about hunting at a feeder? Does that make it un sportsman like?

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: don k] #7730988 01/28/20 04:39 PM
R
RJH1 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted by don k
Just wondering, do bow hunters have any objection to hunting HF? What about hunting at a feeder? Does that make it un sportsman like?

I bowhunt high fence, low fence, feeders,etc,etc. I don't think rifle hunting is unsportsmanlike in the slightest, or that bowhunting has some moral superiority. I just like to bowhunt more than rifle hunt. But i tend to not worry about what other people do

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide