Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Edjeukate me on the virus #7729035 01/26/20 09:23 PM
donswin Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
The coronavirus apparently started with some type of game at a live market in Wuhan.

I have read that it could be from a wolf, rat, bat, or snake. None of these resources are any more reliable than internet gossip.

But if it transferred from a wild animal to a human, what risks are there to us who hunt "wild animals"?

I'm sure most of us have handled live and dead animals of all species.

What am I missing?

I'm a bit concerned because of my age and the fact that I'm immunocrompromised due to a liver transplant.

Now I'll make a new tinfoil hat and wait for the responses, but I do hope to get some good information.

Re: Edjeukate me on the virus [Re: donswin] #7729040 01/26/20 09:31 PM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
they manufacture bio weapons in wuhan , Dont let the media scare you into a corner , thats their goal

[Linked Image]
Re: Edjeukate me on the virus [Re: donswin] #7729046 01/26/20 09:37 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/types.html

Human Coronavirus Types:

Coronaviruses are named for the crown-like spikes on their surface. There are four main sub-groupings of coronaviruses, known as alpha, beta, gamma, and delta.

Human coronaviruses were first identified in the mid-1960s. The seven coronaviruses that can infect people are:

Common human coronaviruses
1.229E (alpha coronavirus)
2.NL63 (alpha coronavirus)
3.OC43 (beta coronavirus)
4.HKU1 (beta coronavirus)

Other human coronaviruses
5.MERS-CoV (the beta coronavirus that causes Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, or MERS)
6.SARS-CoV (the beta coronavirus that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS)
7.2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

People around the world commonly get infected with human coronaviruses 229E, NL63, OC43, and HKU1.

Sometimes coronaviruses that infect animals can evolve and make people sick and become a new human coronavirus. Three recent examples of this are 2019-nCoV, SARS-CoV, and MERS-CoV.

Re: Edjeukate me on the virus [Re: donswin] #7729088 01/26/20 10:10 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Prevention is actually very simple.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Edjeukate me on the virus [Re: donswin] #7729115 01/26/20 10:46 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Just like the possibility of getting salmonella from turtles and snakes.
Or
Rabies from touching brain or spinal fluid.

A lot of animals carry bacteria and/or viruses.

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Re: Edjeukate me on the virus [Re: donswin] #7729157 01/26/20 11:26 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
We have the advantage off dentail insurance and better dental care. That helps a lot.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Edjeukate me on the virus [Re: donswin] #7729163 01/26/20 11:34 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
E coli has a better killing record with eating lettuce. up

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Edjeukate me on the virus [Re: donswin] #7729172 01/26/20 11:43 PM
donswin Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
I do have friends in Whuan. I know they are staying inside and only going out for groceries - as long as there are groceries to buy.

I would feel better if I knew what type of animal carried the infection and what the human did to contract it.

I also want to learn how to be as safe as possible when handling game animals here.

Re: Edjeukate me on the virus [Re: pegasaurus] #7729197 01/27/20 12:06 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by pegasaurus
Just like the possibility of getting salmonella from turtles and snakes.
Or
Rabies from touching brain or spinal fluid.

A lot of animals carry bacteria and/or viruses.

Sort of but not quite. It’s a mutation as in like something new where we may not have antibodies. Some versions can be much more lethal. Research the Spanish Flu.

Salmonella and E. coli etc we come across everyday, even ingest. Rabies not so much.

To be determined
Re: Edjeukate me on the virus [Re: donswin] #7729231 01/27/20 12:35 AM
L
Lazyjack Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
My understanding...

Generally speaking, with the exceptions of primates, humans are genetically different from most mammals.

But research" zoonotic diseases ".

If the 2nd amendment was written just to include guns for hunting, why is there not an amendment to protect fishing poles?
Re: Edjeukate me on the virus [Re: donswin] #7729234 01/27/20 12:38 AM
B
brokenpole Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
The first symptom is a rather large blemish on the end of your business

Re: Edjeukate me on the virus [Re: donswin] #7729248 01/27/20 12:54 AM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Make America Great Again

Re: Edjeukate me on the virus [Re: donswin] #7729343 01/27/20 02:31 AM
5 Stand Dan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: Edjeukate me on the virus [Re: donswin] #7729405 01/27/20 04:20 AM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by donswin
I do have friends in Whuan. I know they are staying inside and only going out for groceries - as long as there are groceries to buy.

I would feel better if I knew what type of animal carried the infection and what the human did to contract it.

I also want to learn how to be as safe as possible when handling game animals here.

well dang , that dont make sense. you got people there but are asking us a world away hammer . Sounds like a troll

are there animals in china I heard they eat everything that walks

Last edited by Tin Head; 01/27/20 04:32 AM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Edjeukate me on the virus [Re: donswin] #7729428 01/27/20 05:02 AM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P

I heard on the radio that it was a woman that ate a bat. Not sure how true that is.

In other countries people eat all kinds of things that we don’t eat here in America. Some animals have a higher probability of carrying diseases that are transferable to humans because of how those animals live and what they eat.
You need to do some research on the specific animals you want to eat and don’t handle or eat the critters that have the higher risk of carrying diseases.

And who the heck knows why oxner thinks dental insurance helps with contracting diseases from animals. confused2

Re: Edjeukate me on the virus [Re: donswin] #7729446 01/27/20 06:29 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
A&M student tested negative for Coronavirus.

A Texas A&M University graduate student who was suspected of showing symptoms of coronavirus does not have the deadly pneumonia-like virus, university officials said Sunday. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention told Texas A&M officials Sunday that samples tested negative for the respiratory virus

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Edjeukate me on the virus [Re: donswin] #7730001 01/27/20 07:40 PM
donswin Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
The reason for my post is, as I mentioned, I am immunosuppressed and fall into the elderly category. That makes me vulnerable to illnesses most of you can brush off.

I hunt deer, hogs, dove, & turkey. I may occasionally handle a raccoon and dead mice from my hunting trailer.

I posted this in hopes that someone knows the risk presented by the game animals in Texas.

Last edited by donswin; 01/27/20 07:51 PM.
Re: Edjeukate me on the virus [Re: donswin] #7730017 01/27/20 08:08 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The reason for my post is, as I mentioned, I am immunosuppressed and fall into the elderly category. That makes me vulnerable to illnesses most of you can brush off.

I hunt deer, hogs, dove, & turkey. I may occasionally handle a raccoon and dead mice from my hunting trailer.

I posted this in hopes that someone knows the risk presented by the game animals in Texas.

In that case use gloves. Wash hands. Practice extra good hygiene.

To be determined
Re: Edjeukate me on the virus [Re: donswin] #7730034 01/27/20 08:28 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I get what you are asking but I would suppose that most illnesses from wild game meat go unreported because they are attributed to other foods or improper handling. Unless it is a case needing medical intervention.

It is just like drinking untreated water. There are several parasites you can get but if properly treated, it is safe to drink.

I am not aware of any specific issues with eating wild game as long as the animal is healthy, care is taken during processing and meat is properly cooked. That said, the same goes for any commercially processed meat as well.

CWD in deer has not YET been reported as transmissible to humans. That may be just a matter of time. I have read that infected animals are safe to eat if handled and cooked properly. If I would not do it.

Here is a snippet from a good article.

https://www.foodsafetymagazine.com/...lex-food-safety-and-animal-health-issue/

Public Health Concerns
While most game meats are produced from healthy animals, some game meats have raised public health concerns because the meat may harbor infectious agents that are not destroyed by smoking, salting, or brining preparations, and could cause human disease.

Additionally, there are some public health concerns about chronic wasting disease (CWD), a transmissible spongiform encephalopathy (TSE), or prion disease, which has been identified in both wild and farm-raised mule deer, white-tailed deer, and Rocky Mountain elk. While consumption of beef contaminated with bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) is thought to be responsible for the variant form of Creutzfelt-Jakob disease (vCJD) in people, consumption of CWD contaminated cervid meats is not known to cause disease in people or domestic livestock. Nonetheless, research is ongoing to determine if interspecies transmission of the CWD agent to humans and domestic livestock is possible. As with other TSEs (BSE, scrapie) in domestic farm animals, these prion agents are thought primarily to be transmitted within species either naturally or through questionable farm feeding practices.

Smuggled bush meat likely presents the greatest public health risk. Among the diseases that may be transmitted to humans from bush meat are those caused by viral agents of ebola, HIV/SIV, monkeypox, herpes B, Rift Valley fever, and rabies; bacterial agents of tuberculosis (Mycobacterium bovis, M. tuberculosis), anthrax, salmonellosis, shigellosis, brucellosis; and parasitic agents of trichinellosis, and toxoplas-mosis.

Re: Edjeukate me on the virus [Re: donswin] #7730056 01/27/20 08:40 PM
S
sweetwood Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S

I think Brucellosis & Rabies should be your biggest concern. I'm sure there's some veterinarians here that can correct me if I'm wrong.

https://www.gon.com/news/kill-feral-hogs-but-handle-them-carefully-for-your-health-and-your-dogs

There's lots of good tips here.

https://news.psu.edu/story/144478/2...ty-advice-field-dressing-processing-deer

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide