Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
No Archery Allowed #7727852 01/25/20 01:48 AM
W
WillowCity2506 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
W
just wondering what the concern is from LO or Leasers that cause for not allowing Archery Hunting.

I currently have a lease that does not allow, and hasn't for as long as i can remember. LO could not give me a good reason when I asked about archery hunting several years ago. I since have let the topic die on the lease. Just curious on others thoughts

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7727861 01/25/20 01:59 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by WillowCity2506
just wondering what the concern is from LO or Leasers that cause for not allowing Archery Hunting.

I currently have a lease that does not allow, and hasn't for as long as i can remember. LO could not give me a good reason when I asked about archery hunting several years ago. I since have let the topic die on the lease. Just curious on others thoughts

Although my experience with archery hunters is limited, the ones I have hunted with want the property totally to themselves at a time when others are getting ready for the general season. It's why you sometimes run across leases that are archery only.

The last time I was on a lease with archery hunters, two of them hung their stands on the only road out of camp. They later got upset when other lease members rode their ATV's past them on their way to fill feeders. Maybe they thought they could use the incident to shut down the activities of others on the lease. Needless to say, it's didn't work.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 01/25/20 02:10 AM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7727862 01/25/20 01:59 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
The rest of the hunters don’t want someone having a 1 month head start on the season. A lot of people think archery hunting wounds more animals. I’ve heard both of these as reasons.

Last edited by krmitchell; 01/25/20 02:00 AM.
Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7727871 01/25/20 02:06 AM
TX_LT230FH Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Not sure but I recall many years ago when I was a teenager I spent 3 summers farming and spent time around or with quite a few landowners. One of the guys had land he leased and he had a “no bow hunting” policy. He had heard of too many deer running off never to be found after being arrowed. That was, though, back when the only broadheads were 2-sided, hard to sharpen things.
Now, the equipment is so advanced it’s probably not that. Maybe a reluctance because it’s quiet?

[Linked Image]
Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7727889 01/25/20 02:26 AM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Its because a lot of people don't know their limitations with a rifle, much less a bow.

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7727894 01/25/20 02:34 AM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Wounded deer that are never recovered....

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7727898 01/25/20 02:38 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Wounded deer that are never recovered....

+1

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7727911 01/25/20 02:50 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by TX_LT230FH
Not sure but I recall many years ago when I was a teenager I spent 3 summers farming and spent time around or with quite a few landowners. One of the guys had land he leased and he had a “no bow hunting” policy. He had heard of too many deer running off never to be found after being arrowed. That was, though, back when the only broadheads were 2-sided, hard to sharpen things.
Now, the equipment is so advanced it’s probably not that. Maybe a reluctance because it’s quiet?

we hunted a lease in utopia back in the early 2000's. Landowner had a "no archery policy" strictly because of his assumption that arrows wounded a lot of game. However as you mentioned this was when most guys were shooting wheel bows with fat aluminum arrows and fixed two and three blade broadheads at 180-220 fps.

Todays bows are a totally different animal. With todays big expandable broadheads, even a marginal shot can result in a very quick kill. Do guy's lose deer with bows? sure they do. guys loose deer with rifles too.

Imo the "archery is a less effective killer than a rifle" is an antiquated thought. todays bows with a skilled archery at the helm can cleanly take big game at 100 yards. My bow, with a 3 bladed expandable, does as much or more damage than most common calibers do on a lung or heart shot.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: txtrophy85] #7727931 01/25/20 03:17 AM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

Imo the "archery is a less effective killer than a rifle" is an antiquated thought.

Yes and no. Both will kill and kill cleanly. Only the rifle is likely to drop and kill a deer in its tracks though. That alone results in more dead deer being recovered. Blood trailing is a vital skill that is a must for archery hunters and you cant learn it watching YouTube either.

And before anyone says "I have had deer run with a perfect shot from a rifle" or "I have dropped them in their tracks with a bow", Yes I have too. The key word is "likely".

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7727933 01/25/20 03:19 AM
W
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
W
Wounded deer that are never recovered??? come on Man

This one gets beat to death. Like said above, archery has come a long way.

Hell i've missed with a rifle. Seems to happen to everyone eventually, even to the seasoned hunters who say archery is an inferior method.

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7727941 01/25/20 03:26 AM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J

Then go tell your landowner that, not me. Its his mind that you need to change, not mine.

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7727945 01/25/20 03:32 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Anything that divides a group into two and gives one more than the other will likely result in problems.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: JCB] #7727952 01/25/20 03:38 AM
W
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
W
Originally Posted by JCB

Then go tell your landowner that, not me. Its his mind that you need to change, not mine.

Thanks for the input

Really don't care to change his mind, his land his rules.

Just looking for legitimate reasons why one would not allow archery hunting but will allow rifle. Wounded deer come with both methods.
You are right about hunters not knowing their limitations... reminds me of guys taking 250+ yd shots on deer when that is the only shot fired for the year. Kinda makes you wonder who is at risk for making the poor shot. The guy flinging lead once a year? or they guy who shoots 100 arrows a week waiting for deer season.

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: JCB] #7727953 01/25/20 03:38 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by JCB

Imo the "archery is a less effective killer than a rifle" is an antiquated thought.

Yes and no. Both will kill and kill cleanly. Only the rifle is likely to drop and kill a deer in its tracks though. That alone results in more dead deer being recovered. Blood trailing is a vital skill that is a must for archery hunters and you cant learn it watching YouTube either.

And before anyone says "I have had deer run with a perfect shot from a rifle" or "I have dropped them in their tracks with a bow", Yes I have too. The key word is "likely".

given certain ranges I could drop a deer in its tracks with a bow as well, but it isn't responsible.

Lung/heart shooting a deer like 95% of the hunting public does, a proper bow set up is 100% as effective as a rifle. I'll give some allowance though that a really bad shot with a bow is less effective than a really bad shot with a rifle.

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: Texas Dan] #7727954 01/25/20 03:40 AM
W
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
W
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Anything that divides a group into two and gives one more than the other will likely result in problems.

This is what I think most of the guys have a problem with.

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7728069 01/25/20 01:25 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I don't allow archery hunting. First of all it is my place and I can make any rules I want. The second is I don't sit with the hunters I have hunting. You have to take their word on what they have shot at. A rifle I can hear. A arrow being shot I can't. I have in the past had a couple of bow hunters. One I guided for a Corsican Sheep. He shoot the sheep too far back high in the belly. There was little blood. We finally saw it at about 80 yds. He asked if he could shoot it with his hand gun. He shot and hit the wrong sheep. Killed it but the wounded one ran off. A few hours later we found the wounded sheep again this time about 100 yds from us. This time I told him to use my 270 and the chase finally ended. The other time a hunter wounded a Ibex and it turned out bad before it was over. It just made life easier to stop bow hunting here. And like I said earlier, it is my place and I make the rules.

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7728111 01/25/20 02:41 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

This is what I think most of the guys have a problem with.

I know there are some that think this way, but one only has to look at this forum to figure out there are much bigger things dividing us than an extra month of hunting opportunities. As far as land owner rules, I think this reason isn't even a blip on the radar.

In my experience, the wounding of animals has been the biggest reason given for no bow hunting. Whether that reasoning is still rational or not will always be up for debate. I'm a bow hunter and I think there is something to that thinking. Not because of archery equipment, but because of human nature. We all know there are a ton of hunters out there who buy a bow for the extra hunting time, practice until they can hit a target in their back yard at 20-25 yards, and think they're now at Fred Bear level. They then hit the woods and sit in their blinds, having never practiced shooting from a seated position or at different angles, and promptly start flinging arrows and wondering why they can't recover anything. A rifle hunter with that attitude is more likely to get away with it.

The more dedicated bow hunters are the other side of that coin. They practice on some level year around, from different positions and distances, and are much more proficient. Add the modern archery equipment to that and I believe they are much less likely to wound animals and lose them than a lot of rifle hunters. The problem is, like most other things in our society, those guys don't get the attention. It's the first group people focus on.

You can make the exact same argument for rifle hunters, but again, we all know there are likely more deer recovered after marginal rifle shots than with marginal bow shots. I wouldn't like a rule like that on a lease, but for a land owner who doesn't know me or my capabilities, I can understand why they might have that thought process. For whatever reason, I got lazy this past year and didn't get my bow out and practice like I normally do. Because of that, I never even took it with me to the ranch because I knew I wasn't up to speed with it and I wasn't going to take a chance. Unfortunately, there are an awful lot of folks who don't share that mindset.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7728168 01/25/20 04:10 PM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Wounded deer.

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: don k] #7728306 01/25/20 08:27 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by don k
I don't allow archery hunting. First of all it is my place and I can make any rules I want. The second is I don't sit with the hunters I have hunting. You have to take their word on what they have shot at. A rifle I can hear. A arrow being shot I can't. I have in the past had a couple of bow hunters. One I guided for a Corsican Sheep. He shoot the sheep too far back high in the belly. There was little blood. We finally saw it at about 80 yds. He asked if he could shoot it with his hand gun. He shot and hit the wrong sheep. Killed it but the wounded one ran off. A few hours later we found the wounded sheep again this time about 100 yds from us. This time I told him to use my 270 and the chase finally ended. The other time a hunter wounded a Ibex and it turned out bad before it was over. It just made life easier to stop bow hunting here. And like I said earlier, it is my place and I make the rules.

Sounds like more of a novice hunter issue than a equipment issue. I would bet most guys that come out for a Corsican hunt are at the beginning of their hunting career rather than a more experienced hunter regardless of weapon choice. Like most places that make you shoot your rifle before you go hunt, most places that allow archers do the same. Lets you know what kind of person you are dealing with.

there are just as many yahoo archery guys comming outta big cities with little experience as there are rifle guys.

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: txtrophy85] #7728689 01/26/20 01:12 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

Sounds like more of a novice hunter issue than a equipment issue. I would bet most guys that come out for a Corsican hunt are at the beginning of their hunting career rather than a more experienced hunter regardless of weapon choice. Like most places that make you shoot your rifle before you go hunt, most places that allow archers do the same. Lets you know what kind of person you are dealing with.

there are just as many yahoo archery guys comming outta big cities with little experience as there are rifle guys.

Shooting a target be it a rifle or bow is completely different than shooting at a live animal. I have seen people that are heck of a lot better shots on the range than I have trouble shooting a Deer. And I have seen people that can't shoot a one foot pattern on the range never have a problem hitting a Deer. But that is neither here nor there. The origin of this thread was why a land owner would not allow archery hunting. It really doesn't matter the reason. He owns the property and thus can make any rules he wants.

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: don k] #7728714 01/26/20 01:55 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D

Shooting a target be it a rifle or bow is completely different than shooting at a live animal. I have seen people that are heck of a lot better shots on the range than I have trouble shooting a Deer. And I have seen people that can't shoot a one foot pattern on the range never have a problem hitting a Deer. But that is neither here nor there. The origin of this thread was why a land owner would not allow archery hunting. It really doesn't matter the reason. He owns the property and thus can make any rules he wants.

X1000, buck stops there...

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7728720 01/26/20 02:14 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Bow hunters want to be judged as all of them being akin to the best amongst them. Pretty sure that ain't gonna happen.

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7728729 01/26/20 02:25 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted by JCB

Thanks for the input

Really don't care to change his mind, his land his rules.

Just looking for legitimate reasons why one would not allow archery hunting but will allow rifle. Wounded deer come with both methods.
You are right about hunters not knowing their limitations... reminds me of guys taking 250+ yd shots on deer when that is the only shot fired for the year. Kinda makes you wonder who is at risk for making the poor shot. The guy flinging lead once a year? or they guy who shoots 100 arrows a week waiting for deer season.

Plenty of guys who shoot one or 2 arrows a year also.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: WillowCity2506] #7728744 01/26/20 02:48 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
"You are right about hunters not knowing their limitations... reminds me of guys taking 250+ yd shots on deer when that is the only shot fired for the year. Kinda makes you wonder who is at risk for making the poor shot. The guy flinging lead once a year? or they guy who shoots 100 arrows a week waiting for deer season."

A great example of my earlier comment.

Re: No Archery Allowed [Re: Hudbone] #7728783 01/26/20 03:37 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Bow hunters want to be judged as all of them being akin to the best amongst them. Pretty sure that ain't gonna happen.

The same argument could be made about rifle hunters (I'm both). It's not a bow hunter or rifle hunter thing, it's a human nature thing.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide