Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Looking for prairie dog hunt #7726244 01/23/20 02:52 PM
JM Ranch Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
I am looking for a prairie dog guide or access to land to hunt prairie dogs in Texas or New Mexico. I have 4-8 guys interested in going, so we can break it up into two groups or two trips. I would like for this to be an annual trip going forward. Looking for dates in April, May, June 2020. 4 of us have experience in PD hunting around Lubbock and Amarillo. We reload and like to shoot, a lot. I would only be interested in land with lots of PD towns. The guide we used in Amarillo is not guiding PD any longer. Please don't recommend Larry Pate. Thanks for any help.

JEM - Waco, TX

Re: Looking for prairie dog hunt [Re: JM Ranch] #7726609 01/23/20 08:48 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
I am constantly surprised that folks pay to hunt them . We have them by the thousands up here for free hunting.
Have you tried researching BLM lands in NM and just going DIY?
I do understand you don't want to be driving around all day just looking for a a few to shoot.

Good luck on your search. If you ever want to come up this way, Wyoming, Shirley Basin has plenty for you, or lots of other areas I could point you to.

Re: Looking for prairie dog hunt [Re: JM Ranch] #7726750 01/23/20 11:07 PM
L
Lazyman Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
L
Sounds like a good excuse for road trip..

Re: Looking for prairie dog hunt [Re: Wytex] #7726870 01/24/20 01:07 AM
M
MIROPHAN Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
Originally Posted by Wytex
I am constantly surprised that folks pay to hunt them . We have them by the thousands up here for free hunting.
Have you tried researching BLM lands in NM and just going DIY?
I do understand you don't want to be driving around all day just looking for a a few to shoot.

Good luck on your search. If you ever want to come up this way, Wyoming, Shirley Basin has plenty for you, or lots of other areas I could point you to.

I love to prairie dog hunt and have looked into public land hunting in NM. There is very little information online on if they allow dog hunting on BLM lands. The only information that I have found indicated they don't allow it anymore. I would love to know if this is incorrect as I would start planning my next trip now. I also would love to go to WY, but that is a long drive from Tx.

Re: Looking for prairie dog hunt [Re: Wytex] #7727272 01/24/20 02:30 PM
JM Ranch Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
I would love to find a free place to hunt PD's. However, I am also willing to pay some money to hopefully make sure we actually have some PD's to shoot and the trip does not turn into a long 2 way truck ride. When you factor in the reloading, taking off from work, travel expenses, etc, it makes sense to me to pay a guide or land owner some money to make sure you have a better chance of having a decent hunt when you are only going once per year. Wyoming is a long way from central Texas.

Re: Looking for prairie dog hunt [Re: JM Ranch] #7729673 01/27/20 03:49 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
I under stand completely, it is a 12-13 hr drive from DFW to Laramie and then about 1 1/2 hrs up to Shirley Basin.
I do know in Wyoming pd's are fair game on BLM lands, any public land for that matter, and most landowners will grant you access to shoot some.
It is still winter up here too, would be pretty miserable for shooting on certain days.

For those that may consider a trip up, you can fly direct from DFW to Cheyenne and then rent a vehicle and be shooting p-dogs in 2 hours.
Shirley Basin is miles of BLM land and has been where several varmint mag. guys have come up for all day shoots. We have vast areas of public land, mile and miles where you will not even see another person.

We also see plenty along 287 on the Nat. grasslands in SE Colorado.

If anyone is interested in a spring trip and some fishing I could point you where to go.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide