Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,021
Posts9,719,476
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
As we bid farewell to another season....and looking forward to the next #7722599 01/19/20 09:43 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Sun is about to set on yet another season here in Texas. While it was a boom for some and a bust for others, the opportunity to enjoy the great outdoors is a blessing and should never been taken for granted.

The 2019 season, for me, started earlier than most. In late July my wife and I traveled across the big pond to what is the dead of winter in South Africa, to hunt animals only before seen in books and magazines. We were blessed to be able to take 8 fantastic trophies between the 2 of us, including a very nice Kudu for her and a Rowland Ward Sable for me. Truly a trip of a lifetime that I hope I get to experience at least a few more times in my hunting career.

Coming off that trip, I made a decision to dial back this fall, for the first time in several years I chose to forgo my annual Colorado Elk hunt ( in large part because the state refuses to give me a Mule Deer tag ) as well as my West Texas lease for Mule Deer.

I did get in some good dove shoots and had some of the best hunts I ever had, once at Paloma Pachanga in Hondo where I limited in under 30 min and shot 1 box of shells, and got in a good October hunt in Pearsall, which was equally as good as the Paloma hunt.

I was able to fulfill a goal of shooting a whitetail buck with my bow (something I have never done surprisingly) not once, but twice during the season. Hunting at my lease was pretty poor due to green conditions and extremely heavy acorn crop, but my youngest was able to shoot a nice pig and a 9 pointer in Llano County. Oldest boy struck out for the 2nd year in a row, having not seen a suitable buck to shoot. Next season if he can't close the deal at the lease we may have to switch locations to somewhere down south to get him a good buck. After hunting in Africa I don't think I will ever be able to get my wife in a deer stand again....she had no desire to go deer hunting at all and only sat in a box one evening, on Christmas day. That was enough for her. Finished my season this past week at a friends new place busting some does, which is always a favorite hunt of mine. For the first time in a few years, I have ran out of whitetail tags.

I still have one tentative afternoon upland hunt scheduled for February but for all intents and purposes I am done until next season. Gonna spend the summer getting back into mountain shape, doing heavy weights as well as cardio and ruck marches around the neighborhood. My mind still thinks I'm 25 but its finally sinking in I'm in my mid 30's....gotta step it up and stay in shape. Getting more proficient with my bow is also a priority, gonna spend some time shooting at distance and getting really confident out past 60 yards.

Depending on if I draw a tag, August may bring a Archery Mule Deer hunt in Colorado or a Pronghorn hunt in Wyoming, if not, I plan to wear out the doves as I really enjoy a good dove shoot. During the fall, I will be with two friends in the Canadian Wilderness chasing Moose and Black Bear, this will be my big game trip for the season.

Good luck to those grinding it out on the last day of the season, and cheers to all of those who gave it their all the past 3 months.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: As we bid farewell to another season....and looking forward to the next [Re: txtrophy85] #7722625 01/19/20 10:15 PM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Man I was right with ya until the mid 30’s part.

Glad you had a great year.

Proverbs 2
Re: As we bid farewell to another season....and looking forward to the next [Re: Sniper.270] #7722628 01/19/20 10:19 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Sniper.270

haha, things hurt that didn't used to hurt, i'm not as fast as I used to be and recovery takes days instead of a day.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: As we bid farewell to another season....and looking forward to the next [Re: txtrophy85] #7722632 01/19/20 10:21 PM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
As I tell a buddy of mine that is a “few” years younger than me, JUST WAIT.

In my mid 30s I would take on hell with a water pistol. Two fisted of course.

Proverbs 2
Re: As we bid farewell to another season....and looking forward to the next [Re: txtrophy85] #7722817 01/20/20 01:26 AM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I tell people all the time, if you hunt the mountains, you'll be ruined for setting in a blind over a feeder. Last year was the first time I'd hunted whitetail in Texas in 11 years. That was because I had kids hunting. Took them to Arizona this year and Kansas for birds. I expect they'll be hankering for the mountains as well. I plan to burn my 4 elk points in Colorado and my 10 pronghorn points in Wyoming next year. And, if I'm very lucky, draw that goat or desert bighorn tag. Dove and ducks were disappointing this year. May take the youngest to Ontario for a real duck and goose hunt. We've had bad dove shoots in North Texas two years in a row. It's time to find a place in the south zone or further west around Abilene. Suggestions there are appreciated.

Good luck to all in winter scouting and don't forget, there's still major hog depopulation business to attend to. Get to it. I don't want to find anyone slacking on that front.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: As we bid farewell to another season....and looking forward to the next [Re: txtrophy85] #7724470 01/21/20 08:02 PM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by Sniper.270

haha, things hurt that didn't used to hurt, i'm not as fast as I used to be and recovery takes days instead of a day.

Just wait another 30 years.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide