Re: My wife need a license? [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7720618 01/17/20 03:13 PM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Binary
Originally Posted by krmitchell
My kids help me spot game and the entire family helps retrieve it when I shoot something. None of which requires a hunting license.. Being an adult/minor has nothing to do with needing a hunting license in Texas either. If one is hunting they need a license. If they aren’t, they don’tt need a license. Looking at animals, helping to find them or loading them into a truck doesn’t fall anywhere in the definition of hunting, that is just BS. Your statement about capture, trapping, etc, surely applies to the hunter who is actually hunting but in no way applies to someone just along for the hunt. I’m not going to argue anything with the GW, one gun, one hunter and one license is sufficient enough. Unless they see someone shooting, holding the gun or otherwise actually hunting it didn’t happen. No different than fishing with someone without a license on the boat. Quite honestly people saying someone who isn’t hunting and having no intentions of doing so needing a license is completely ridiculous and would never stand up in court.

Your kids help spot and retrieve game? Man, that 100% falls into the category of tasks that require a hunting license. Pulling the trigger that kills the animal is not the sole task that is "hunting". "Spotting" and "Retrieving" are part of the pursuit and taking of the animal. Essentially, "participating" in any way in the taking of game requires a hunting license. It's kind of like claiming that the 3 people that are out in the woods, intentionally (intentionally being important here) "driving deer" in your direction aren't hunting because they aren't killing the game. I can guarantee you that if you tell any judge in the state of TX that your kid was helping you spot game to kill - that they'll tell you he was participating in a hunting activity that requires a license. Now you have judges that will still turn around and dismiss it because they think it's dumb (and it is) but they aren't going say it's not a hunting activity that require a license.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's non-sense and should be limited to the person pulling the trigger....and I'm also not saying a GW would cite you for it... but yeah, it's technically participation that require a license.

Probably not something you are likely to get in trouble for on private land but on public land you have a high likelihood of getting cited for it.

Based on this interpretation, scouting on public land before the season would be illegal.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: My wife need a license? [Re: Ktexas14] #7720620 01/17/20 03:13 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Ktexas14
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Case Closed, you're that guy.

Alright man, good for you.

I have seen you literally argue with everyone that brings up anything legal around here, so I guess I should feel honored.

Says the guy that calls me a fool, lectures me, states he has nothing more to say, continues to respond, states that law enforcement is trained to "subvert" our rights, and now states that police don't protect citizens.

You are still that guy that insults law enforcement, and I'll call you out on it at every opportunity.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: My wife need a license? [Re: Ktexas14] #7720643 01/17/20 03:33 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
As far as police not protecting citizens, it isn't an opinion, it is a fact that was ruled upon by the supreme court.

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/...ve-a-constitutional-duty-to-protect.html

As far as police being trained to subvert your rights, police are allowed to lie and trick you in any investigation in order to get the answers they want/need.

Here is case law to support that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frazier_v._Cupp

Here is a shorter article explaining how police are allowed to lie to suspects to get information and often access to search.

https://www.policemag.com/339673/the-lawful-use-of-deception

Here is a really long Cornell Law Review Article about it for a more reputable source.

I want to reiterate, there are a lot of good and honest police out there that do the job because they want to be helpful and serve the people. I have had plenty of positive interactions with police and Game Wardens. I have enjoyed speaking to Game Wardens and have sought them out several times to ask for opinions and information.

From earlier in this thread
"I will say that generally they are all pleasant, knowledgeable, and often times forgiving if you have made an honest mistake. That doesn't mean that they all are."

The fact is that they are not required to protect the people and it is arguable what they are required to do under "serve."

I don't agree with people putting anyone, including police, on a pedestal thinking that they are going to always be on your side. There have been way too many instances where good people have been railroaded, tricked, and sometimes killed for simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

My whole point to begin with is to just make sure that there can be no questions when hunting, especially public lands. Make sure that you have all of your bases covered.

I am just not sure how I am insulting a profession by stating what has already been decided by the highest court in the country and a lot of case law. It isn't my opinion, it is the opinion of the court that police don't have to protect you and are legally allowed to lie to you in order to convince you to give up your rights.

I personally have had a police officer try to tell me that I was DUI when I had been hit in the face by a come along that punched a hole through my lip and cut my toungue. I had hospital release paperwork that I offered to show him that I had been given no pain killers and explained why I couldn't speak clearly. When his partner arrived, his partner took him to the side and suddenly everything was okay. At the time, I was parked waiting for my girlfriend to come down from her apartment to move her car. I had done nothing wrong and he started questioning me about an unrelated call and if I had any information in that.

That is just my personal story of harassment, most other encounters I have had were positive.

I don't understand why so many people think that everything is so black and white. Life is full of gray areas in almost everything we do. There are plenty instances where what is right isn't always legal (ie in some states it is not okay to dispatch an animal after legal shooting time that was wounded before the end of legal shooting time, but the right thing is to end the suffering) and sometimes what is legal isnt always right (ie overharvesting a property because you have the tags).

You can disagree with how policing works but still respect officers as individuals. It can be both.

I hope that this brings some insight as to where I am coming from.

OP states that he made his decision to not get her a hunting license. I can respect that and don't take any issue with him doing that. People can do as they please.

I apologize for inferring that you are a fool. That was a poor choice of words.

I agree with your opinion. I fully support law enforcement but they are not going to protect you from bad guys, you need to be prepared to do that yourself IMO. Most of their work is trying to catch bad guys after the crime has been committed....... and IMO you need to know your rights and NEVER relinquish them to law enforcement for any reason as one of our highest ranking military Generals found out when the FBI told him he didn’t need legal counsel to answer their questions.....

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: My wife need a license? [Re: Jiggamitch] #7720695 01/17/20 03:55 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
IMO: LE can't always be there to protect me and my family. This is why I am LTC, and make myself capable of protecting my family and myself. Patrolling by LE is protection, and when called on, or the need arises, they protect.

Re: My wife need a license? [Re: Ktexas14] #7720699 01/17/20 03:57 PM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
As far as police not protecting citizens, it isn't an opinion, it is a fact that was ruled upon by the supreme court.

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/...ve-a-constitutional-duty-to-protect.html

As far as police being trained to subvert your rights, police are allowed to lie and trick you in any investigation in order to get the answers they want/need.

Here is case law to support that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frazier_v._Cupp

Here is a shorter article explaining how police are allowed to lie to suspects to get information and often access to search.

Here is a really long Cornell Law Review Article about it for a more reputable source.

I want to reiterate, there are a lot of good and honest police out there that do the job because they want to be helpful and serve the people. I have had plenty of positive interactions with police and Game Wardens. I have enjoyed speaking to Game Wardens and have sought them out several times to ask for opinions and information.

From earlier in this thread
"I will say that generally they are all pleasant, knowledgeable, and often times forgiving if you have made an honest mistake. That doesn't mean that they all are."

The fact is that they are not required to protect the people and it is arguable what they are required to do under "serve."

I don't agree with people putting anyone, including police, on a pedestal thinking that they are going to always be on your side. There have been way too many instances where good people have been railroaded, tricked, and sometimes killed for simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

My whole point to begin with is to just make sure that there can be no questions when hunting, especially public lands. Make sure that you have all of your bases covered.

I am just not sure how I am insulting a profession by stating what has already been decided by the highest court in the country and a lot of case law. It isn't my opinion, it is the opinion of the court that police don't have to protect you and are legally allowed to lie to you in order to convince you to give up your rights.

I personally have had a police officer try to tell me that I was DUI when I had been hit in the face by a come along that punched a hole through my lip and cut my toungue. I had hospital release paperwork that I offered to show him that I had been given no pain killers and explained why I couldn't speak clearly. When his partner arrived, his partner took him to the side and suddenly everything was okay. At the time, I was parked waiting for my girlfriend to come down from her apartment to move her car. I had done nothing wrong and he started questioning me about an unrelated call and if I had any information in that.

That is just my personal story of harassment, most other encounters I have had were positive.

I don't understand why so many people think that everything is so black and white. Life is full of gray areas in almost everything we do. There are plenty instances where what is right isn't always legal (ie in some states it is not okay to dispatch an animal after legal shooting time that was wounded before the end of legal shooting time, but the right thing is to end the suffering) and sometimes what is legal isnt always right (ie overharvesting a property because you have the tags).

You can disagree with how policing works but still respect officers as individuals. It can be both.

I hope that this brings some insight as to where I am coming from.

OP states that he made his decision to not get her a hunting license. I can respect that and don't take any issue with him doing that. People can do as they please.

I apologize for inferring that you are a fool. That was a poor choice of words.

Katy bar the door! This part of discussion is over. One of most sound/logical opinions I have seen on this forum.
To argue now is effort after foolishness.

Proverbs 2
Re: My wife need a license? [Re: Jiggamitch] #7720705 01/17/20 04:01 PM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I agree with your opinion. I fully support law enforcement but they are not going to protect you from bad guys, you need to be prepared to do that yourself IMO. Most of their work is trying to catch bad guys after the crime has been committed....... and IMO you need to know your rights and NEVER relinquish them to law enforcement for any reason as one of our highest ranking military Generals found out when the FBI told him he didn’t need legal counsel to answer their questions.....

We have a first! Two logical posts in one thread. Good job.

This thread has gone off the rails, but it has been entertaining.

Proverbs 2
Re: My wife need a license? [Re: Jiggamitch] #7721541 01/18/20 02:42 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
It is my general observation that I am better off not coming into contact with law enforcement of any kind. That includes, cops, GW's, judges, politicians and "public servants" of all kinds.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: My wife need a license? [Re: Sniper.270] #7721653 01/18/20 05:10 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Sniper.270

We have a first! Two logical posts in one thread. Good job.

This thread has gone off the rails, but it has been entertaining.

We also have two posters that declare the discussion over, nothing more to say, only to continue to reply.

Re: My wife need a license? [Re: Dave Davidson] #7721846 01/18/20 10:13 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
It is my general observation that I am better off not coming into contact with law enforcement of any kind. That includes, cops, GW's, judges, politicians and "public servants" of all kinds.

up

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: My wife need a license? [Re: Jiggamitch] #7721896 01/19/20 12:05 AM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
It depends how hot she looks

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: My wife need a license? [Re: dogcatcher] #7721901 01/19/20 12:13 AM
D
decook Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson

up

I guess it depends on the circumstances. There's alot of THF members I'd like to meet but most of ya-all are up North of Centerville. They include cops, firefighters, GWs. Not sure about any Judges on here. Only the politicians get that broad brush from me. There's only a few I'd let on my lawn.

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: My wife need a license? [Re: decook] #7721916 01/19/20 12:38 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by decook

I guess it depends on the circumstances. There's alot of THF members I'd like to meet but most of ya-all are up North of Centerville. They include cops, firefighters, GWs. Not sure about any Judges on here. Only the politicians get that broad brush from me. There's only a few I'd let on my lawn.

Read the newspapers, in a weeks time you will see a few of the leading role models indicted. Whether it be a teacher, a preacher, or a LEO, every week one or more goes to post bail and await trial.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: My wife need a license? [Re: Jiggamitch] #7722014 01/19/20 02:24 AM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I guess it's time to admit I used to be a politician, but I grew a conscience and became a real estate developer instead.

We're up to six pages by my count.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: My wife need a license? [Re: dogcatcher] #7722293 01/19/20 04:14 PM
D
decook Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D

Read the newspapers, in a weeks time you will see a few of the leading role models indicted. Whether it be a teacher, a preacher, or a LEO, every week one or more goes to post bail and await trial.

I do read, each and every day. You are right about seeing the leading role models. But the percentage of the bad apples (caught and uncaught) versus the good is extremely small. I don't have anything scientific backing me up, but i would bet the percentage is roughly the same across most to all of civilized humanity. To ostracize one is to ostracize all, or not as in my case.

DC, please don't take my words as trying to split any fence here or mince words to the molecular level. I'm just not willing to allow a tiny percentage to sway my view. You were a professional soldier, I'd love to shake your hand too. Lt. Calley's actions will not sway that one bit. I don't think i can explain it any better.

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: My wife need a license? [Re: Jiggamitch] #7722348 01/19/20 05:17 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Wow....just wow...... eek2

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: My wife need a license? [Re: decook] #7722717 01/20/20 12:07 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N

I do read, each and every day. You are right about seeing the leading role models. But the percentage of the bad apples (caught and uncaught) versus the good is extremely small. I don't have anything scientific backing me up, but i would bet the percentage is roughly the same across most to all of civilized humanity. To ostracize one is to ostracize all, or not as in my case.

DC, please don't take my words as trying to split any fence here or mince words to the molecular level. I'm just not willing to allow a tiny percentage to sway my view. You were a professional soldier, I'd love to shake your hand too. Lt. Calley's actions will not sway that one bit. I don't think i can explain it any better.

flehan

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide