Print Thread
Blaser Rifles, specifically R8 #7714457 01/11/20 04:19 PM
T
Theringworm Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
Anyone here with time behind a Blaser R8? I am looking at getting a dangerous game rifle, caliber yet undecided but probably 375H&H or 416. Regardless, I am trying to find some personal feedback on them. My searches on the inter web have been helpful but I am looking for a little more. Their new “Ultimate” setup is quite the rifle. Endless modularity. Ask ally a switch rifle from .22lr to big 500s. Nothing about it beyond price seems to be a negative from what I have seen or read. What’s standard accuracy for big magnum calibers from them, 1-1.5” at a 100yds? If all other rifles were equally as expensive, do you go with a Blaser or something else OFF THE SHELF. I know what can be had from a custom gunsmith so I’ll leave this option out of the current discussion. Any feedback would be appreciative. Thanks

Re: Blaser Rifles, specifically R8 [Re: Theringworm] #7714494 01/11/20 05:09 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
you wont find much experience on here, look at Mad Dog Firearms in Arizona. He has EVERYTHING R-8. Also Blaser in San Antonio will help you.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Blaser Rifles, specifically R8 [Re: Theringworm] #7714503 01/11/20 05:20 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
There are a few blaser owners on this forum but not many, hopefully they will login and speak up

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Blaser Rifles, specifically R8 [Re: Buzzsaw] #7714524 01/11/20 05:47 PM
T
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
you wont find much experience on here, look at Mad Dog Firearms in Arizona. He has EVERYTHING R-8. Also Blaser in San Antonio will help you.

Yea, I spent a solid 30 minutes at their booth at DSC yesterday. Just looking for real world personal experience with them. If I don’t get much of a response I’ll check out others options. Thanks for the info.

Re: Blaser Rifles, specifically R8 [Re: Theringworm] #7714533 01/11/20 06:01 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
in my opinion. i think they are first class. i came close to having EUROPTICS PUTTING TOGETHER ONE WITH beautiful wood with a fluted barrel. Ever watch "Under Wild Skies" tv show /? he shoot the Blaser in .375. His signature rifle

i think Nogales Prairie on this forum has has the Blaser rifles'

Check out the Sauer 404 too WOW !!!

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Blaser Rifles, specifically R8 [Re: Theringworm] #7714551 01/11/20 06:19 PM
P
Pig_Popper Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
EDIT: I looked at Sabatti’s website , doesn’t look like they go beyond 7x64 and 300 win mag. So it probably doesn’t fit this conversation. I suppose this is a consideration for the Blaser (dangerous game calibers)

Hey O.P.

Did you take a look at the Sabatti Saphire ER during your research ?

https://www.wholesalehunter.com/Product/Details/11422083

Granted it isn’t going to be as refined as Blaser but from a function standpoint (outside straight pull bolt) it is in the same style/intent category.

I don’t see dangerous game categories at the reseller site but I’m sure the Importer could order you one , Italian Firearms Group in Abilene is who I’d ask for more info from.

Switch barrel options are nice but the barrel cost can add up fast which is what got me looking into a lesser cost base rifle.

I’ll be following here for anything anybody can share on the Blaser and other recommendations ...

Last edited by Pig_Popper; 01/11/20 06:42 PM.

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: Blaser Rifles, specifically R8 [Re: Theringworm] #7714601 01/11/20 07:05 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
505ed posted sometime back (hasn't logged on in over a year but he liked the Blasers

Originally Posted by 505ed
Blaser are excellent rifles. I own 3 frames and 2 bolt assemblies, with 4 different barrels. That is the beauty of the system--being able to break down hold zero and travel in a compact package..that being said I do own a few good customs also.

He also posted about hunting with R8s in Africa, among other places

Last edited by kmon1; 01/11/20 07:06 PM.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Blaser Rifles, specifically R8 [Re: Theringworm] #7714838 01/11/20 11:15 PM
T
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
Spoke with a rep today. He said the following regarding the Blaser R8 versus the Sauer 404.

Sauer: has less switchable options (around 14 I believe), is what he calls a “pretty rifle” that you would hunt North America with, typically species that aren’t going to eat you (obviously there is some humor here with his statement). He said you buy this is you want a really nice wood stock rifle. Has a detachable magazine (not the whole trigger magazine combo like the Blaser) and is therefore a longer rifle. Has the usual bolt throw action. The Sauer is actually a little more price wise compared tot he Blaser

Blaser: if something is competing with you on the food chain he would pick a Blaser all day long as the “straight back action” is quicker to cycle. The trigger magazine combo detached as one piece. Some people hate it some like it. The Blaser is definitely a more compact shorter rifle because the above. Blaser also has over 50 switchable options.

Everything else is equally the same. Basically just preference and really weather you want a straight pull action or a bolt throw action, or if you prefer a detachable trigger magazine combo or just a detachable mag.

That said, definitely considering the Blaser R8 over the Sauer. Now to rule out any other potential contenders even though none come anywhere close to modularity or innovation that the Blaser has I.e.. Sako, CZ. Etc.

Re: Blaser Rifles, specifically R8 [Re: Theringworm] #7715112 01/12/20 04:21 AM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
you like wood or composite with stingray cheek piece and grip ?? Sexy

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Blaser Rifles, specifically R8 [Re: Theringworm] #7715588 01/12/20 08:55 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I've shot and developed many loads on the Blaser R8 rifles. It's really an impressive rifle. The accuracy I have seen on them was very good. I've worked up a load on one barrel and changed out barrels at the range to work up a load on the next barrel for the same rifle. They shoot very well. The only negative of these rifles is the excessive recoil. The rifles have no "action" per se. They have a stock, barrel and bolt that rides in the frame of the stock. This saves a lot of weight and makes for some nice light weight rifles. When you put it in a magnum caliber, the recoil is that much more. A Blaser R8 in 338 Win Mag pushing a 225 grain over max velocities was one of the 3 hardest recoiling rifles I ever shot (and it shot sub 1/2" at 100 yards). The straight pull bolt is awesome and very fast. The bolt is a collet style with the bolt locking up 360 degrees around the barrel. The barrels and accessories are expensive, but very good quality. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one, if that is what you are looking for.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Blaser Rifles, specifically R8 [Re: Theringworm] #7715797 01/13/20 12:32 AM
T
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
Buzz.... while I do appreciate the beauty of wooden stocks, for me, I do not have any use for them. I am partial to synthetics. I own a lot of guns, and only have two that have wooden stocks. My very first and second rifle my father gave me, the first which is an old German military mauser in 30.06 and the second is an Winchester in .243. All others are synthetic of some form or fashion.

Chad.... I appreciate the info. That is my main concern with the thumb-whole stock as it is not compatible with their mercury recoil reducer that gets imbedded in the butt stock. There is simply no room for it. That can only be installed in the "non-thumb whole" stocks. The solution Blaser has gone to is the butt stock dampening system that can be added. You can always get the barrel threaded and put a brake on it. You also answered my accuracy concern as I have seen feedback all over the board from .5 -1.5 moa. I imagine most of the wider groups is the shooter and/or caliber being shot and not the rifles fault.

I have created short list of rifles and scopes. Headed to SHOT show next week where I can get more hands on with as many options as possible and will go from there. Also had a member reach out to me with a friend that has owned many and I'll be placing a pone call into him to pick his brain here in the next day or so. I greatly appreciate all the help gents.

Re: Blaser Rifles, specifically R8 [Re: Buzzsaw] #7715869 01/13/20 01:33 AM
M
MClark Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

I work as a gunsmith a short ways from Mad Dog Firearms and had never heard of them. Looks like they are the go to people for Blaser,
http://www.maddoggunsglobal.com/
Now if someone asks I can send them to the right place.

M

Re: Blaser Rifles, specifically R8 [Re: Theringworm] #7716031 01/13/20 05:21 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I played with that Carbon Fiber left handed version they had at the DSC booth for a few min. Very light weight and felt great, but in .300 win mag in a 5 lb gun I will pass with no brake.

I have limited experience with the R8.....had a few hunters who had them so I got to handle/shoot them on occasion. My gunsmith was also a dealer for Blaser. Known to be very accurate as are the Sauer and Mauser.

Personally, for the calibers you mentioned, I would want a much heavier rifle.

Lots of nice rifles there at the show, the Rigbys always fascinated me and the dakotas and even the Nosler rifles looked good.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Blaser Rifles, specifically R8 [Re: Theringworm] #7716175 01/13/20 02:14 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Never done more than hold one and dream.

I would love to have one of them with some beautiful wood. Maybe some day but just cant make myself spend the money on one now.

Im sure its a different take, but if I was looking for a dangerous game rifle I would consider a 45-70. Its different and with max loads for a modern strong action firearm it packs a hell of a wallop and with cowboy action loads its a dream to shoot and a heck of a shortish range deer and hog gun.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Blaser Rifles, specifically R8 [Re: redchevy] #7716341 01/13/20 04:26 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by redchevy
Never done more than hold one and dream.

I would love to have one of them with some beautiful wood. Maybe some day but just cant make myself spend the money on one now.

Im sure its a different take, but if I was looking for a dangerous game rifle I would consider a 45-70. Its different and with max loads for a modern strong action firearm it packs a hell of a wallop and with cowboy action loads its a dream to shoot and a heck of a shortish range deer and hog gun.

my PH carried a Marlin Guide gun in .45-70 with loaded with some buffalo bore bullets for shooting wounded game in thick cover. They ( African PH's ) have no issues shooting thru brush and the slower .45 caliber bullet works well for shooting wounded zebra, kudu and the like in real thick cover according to them

For backup on Cape buffalo and elephant however he shot his .470 nitro double rifle.

https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/hunting-cape-buffalo-with-the-45-70-government/

The .375 or .416 just has so much more power and range than the .45-70 its not really a apples to apples alternative

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Blaser Rifles, specifically R8 [Re: Theringworm] #7854673 05/29/20 03:16 PM
M
MerlinMc Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
Sorry about arriving late to this thread.

I have Blaser R8s both conventional and their "thumb hole" version (Professional Success, Ultimate); synthetic versions. The wood versions are beautiful, but these are my go-to hunting rifles and they've been across the planet. Extremely accurate in all of the barrels I have and 100% reliable.

In several trips to Africa, I usually use a 26 Nosler barrel for PG and 375 H&H for DG. None of my Blaser barrels are braked, but the rifle is still comfortable to shoot even prone with the larger calibers like the 375. Because the Blaser action saves several inches of space length-wise, you can run a longer barrel. Most of the barrels I use are 26" and even the 375 H&H is 25.5"

The 375 H&H has turned out to be an incredibly versatile barrel / cartridge. My main ammo is a 250 gr GMX with a 3,000 FPS muzzle velocity that's good to a couple of hundred yards. 350 gr are still 2,300 to 2,400 FPS MV and good in thick cover. This barrel has a Leupold "firedot" reticle. I have used it just like a red dot sight in close cover for moving targets. I have shot a variety of PG with the 375 because the barrel was in the stock while hunting DG. The 375 worked great for PG too.

I have lots of time behind my R8 and lots of time with the 375. Highly recommend both the R8 system and the 375 H&H cartridge.

Re: Blaser Rifles, specifically R8 [Re: MerlinMc] #7854756 05/29/20 04:38 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by MerlinMc
Sorry about arriving late to this thread.

I have Blaser R8s both conventional and their "thumb hole" version (Professional Success, Ultimate); synthetic versions. The wood versions are beautiful, but these are my go-to hunting rifles and they've been across the planet. Extremely accurate in all of the barrels I have and 100% reliable.

In several trips to Africa, I usually use a 26 Nosler barrel for PG and 375 H&H for DG. None of my Blaser barrels are braked, but the rifle is still comfortable to shoot even prone with the larger calibers like the 375. Because the Blaser action saves several inches of space length-wise, you can run a longer barrel. Most of the barrels I use are 26" and even the 375 H&H is 25.5"

The 375 H&H has turned out to be an incredibly versatile barrel / cartridge. My main ammo is a 250 gr GMX with a 3,000 FPS muzzle velocity that's good to a couple of hundred yards. 350 gr are still 2,300 to 2,400 FPS MV and good in thick cover. This barrel has a Leupold "firedot" reticle. I have used it just like a red dot sight in close cover for moving targets. I have shot a variety of PG with the 375 because the barrel was in the stock while hunting DG. The 375 worked great for PG too.

I have lots of time behind my R8 and lots of time with the 375. Highly recommend both the R8 system and the 375 H&H cartridge.

----------------------------
Thanks for the insightful and experienced answer,

Welcome to the forum.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide