Re: this season was horrible... [Re: Herbie Hancock] #7710512 01/07/20 03:55 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
Originally Posted by titan2232
Anthrax took our herd back in late June/early July so our hunting was as expected (0 zero taken on 3000+ acres)

On the bright side we've got at least 3 dozen deer staying on or near the property as of a few weeks ago.

My buddies place was given 30 cull tags for their 5,000 acres, somehow the real wild horned culls survived.

Interesting you say this as probably 90% of our current bucks are trash. Damn near all spikes and we literally had none before the anthrax.

Re: this season was horrible... [Re: txhunter1010] #7710533 01/07/20 04:10 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by txhunter1010
Originally Posted by TKandMike
That's unfortunate, sorry to hear that. Not finding a wounded deer is a horrible feeling. Hope next year is better.

Thanks for the kinds words.. Other folks on this thread just seem to want to throw in their rude 2 cents.. Yes my gun is sighted in, I can shoot tight groups out to 200 yards with no problems.. always have.. and not seeing more deer because someones opinion that i cant shoot... Thats why i dont post more stuff.. rude comments... If i couldn't shoot good or was new to hunting or whatever then i would maybe agree.. but not the case.. this is the first deer that i have had this happen to or couldnt find in over 20 years..

Have you shot the rifle since you shot the buck? I shot a spike at 337 yards and two days later flat missed a trophy at 108 yards. When I went to the range I found out it was off significantly. I don't know how many deer you've shot over the years but you're doing well if you've only lost one deer in 20 years. We take 10-15 a year and manage to not find one about every third-fourth year. It happens, unfortunately. Last was a doe my dad shot at 90 yards. I heard the shot, heard a solid hit, but found little blood and never found the deer. .243 95gr SST.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: this season was horrible... [Re: SMASSEY] #7710569 01/07/20 04:38 PM
T
Triplesnake Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by SMASSEY
This is my first year to have a lease (Brown County) and I've been really disappointed. This discussion is helpful as I try to decide if I want to stay at this lease or look for another. The property itself is ok...not ideal cover. However, it meets all of my major requirements: fair price, family friendly, within 3-hours of Dallas, good fellas on the property, camping options etc. But like you're saying, we haven't seen any deer. The camera has shown a few coming by at sunset a couple times per week, but nothing consistent. I fear we will end the season empty handed.

I had it in my head that we needed to find a new lease...this thread is now making me consider waiting it out another year.

We were also on a new place this year in Brown County. We have lots of great cover and those deer still weren't hitting the corn very hard. We saw a few nice bucks on the cameras early in the season, and we did manage to take 3 deer off the place so far, but it has been hard hunting. Big acorn crop kept them off the feeders for the most part, and after the rut they went mostly nocturnal. After hunting for years around Llano, we might be a bit spoiled, but this was one of the worst hunting years in a very long time for us.

Re: this season was horrible... [Re: txhunter1010] #7710576 01/07/20 04:44 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by txhunter1010
Thanks for the kinds words.. Other folks on this thread just seem to want to throw in their rude 2 cents.. Yes my gun is sighted in, I can shoot tight groups out to 200 yards with no problems.. always have.. and not seeing more deer because someones opinion that i cant shoot... Thats why i dont post more stuff.. rude comments... If i couldn't shoot good or was new to hunting or whatever then i would maybe agree.. but not the case.. this is the first deer that i have had this happen to or couldnt find in over 20 years..

If your comments are directed at my post and you take offense to it, I'm sorry for that. But the fact remains, if a good shot was made with the proper bullet you would have a dead deer. I'm simply asking questions about your set up and your rifles zero. And shooting tight groups has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with shooting a deer in the field. I'm not saying you can't shoot. I'm simply stating facts and asking questions to help solve your issue of why the deer didn't go down in a short enough distance to find it. I've spoken to many hunters about their shot placements and bullet choices for those shot placements. I see a lot and talk to MANY different hunters about what bullets do on animals and how they perform.

Years ago my rifle was off it's zero when I thought it should be on. I wounded a doe (she went down) and figured out by my off target shot where the POI was and I was able to finish her off from the deer stand by holding off to where the actual POI was. The gun had some cheap scope mounts and the zero had moved, which was why I missed my mark on the doe. The problem was solved with a new and more solid scope mount and rings. There's many factors that go into the "why" something happened the way it did. If I miss a target or the rifle is off in any way, I head to the range to figure out that why. Until you figure out that why, you will won't know.

It sounds like you're looking more for sympathy of loosing a deer. I was thinking more on the why the deer was lost (which is still a mystery).

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: this season was horrible... [Re: txhunter1010] #7710585 01/07/20 04:58 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Chad, he was probably talking about my post. I think I was the first "rude" comment about the lost deer over the other things he was whining about. There I go, rude again.

Yes guns can have issues, as evidenced in my post a while back about shooting and having a sub MOA gun not able to hit anything, turns out the scope base came loose. Once I fixed that the gun (and I) put 5 shots @100 in a nickel circle on a cold windy day where the target was moving. Yes stuff happens. Find the problem, fix the problem and move on. We all experience it at some point and just assuming the gun is right makes for more deer lost. First thing I try to do when I lose a deer or make a bad shot is put the gun on paper and see if something is off. For some cheaper non-locking scopes, it could be as simple as the elevation turret being jarred in the gun case.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to be rude in my first post, but I was just saying I would have been more bummed about wounding a deer and losing it than not seeing a whole lot of deer in the first place.

Re: this season was horrible... [Re: Texas buckeye] #7710681 01/07/20 06:14 PM
B
Bass&More Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
Chad, he was probably talking about my post. I think I was the first "rude" comment about the lost deer over the other things he was whining about. There I go, rude again.

Yes guns can have issues, as evidenced in my post a while back about shooting and having a sub MOA gun not able to hit anything, turns out the scope base came loose. Once I fixed that the gun (and I) put 5 shots @100 in a nickel circle on a cold windy day where the target was moving. Yes stuff happens. Find the problem, fix the problem and move on. We all experience it at some point and just assuming the gun is right makes for more deer lost. First thing I try to do when I lose a deer or make a bad shot is put the gun on paper and see if something is off. For some cheaper non-locking scopes, it could be as simple as the elevation turret being jarred in the gun case.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to be rude in my first post, but I was just saying I would have been more bummed about wounding a deer and losing it than not seeing a whole lot of deer in the first place.

[Linked Image] peep

Re: this season was horrible... [Re: txhunter1010] #7710697 01/07/20 06:30 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
In 50 years of hunting, I’ve lost 3. They still bother me.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: this season was horrible... [Re: Triplesnake] #7710762 01/07/20 07:48 PM
S
SMASSEY Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
Triplesnake - I'll shoot you a private message. I'd like to hear more about your experience, your lease, and perhaps learn if you anticipate any openings. My place has 10-foot tall brush, but minimal real hard wood trees. My daughter and I are new to hunting and she is really the driving force behind our new hobby. She would love to get a few doe. Thus far we've come up empty handed.

Re: this season was horrible... [Re: txhunter1010] #7711447 01/08/20 01:59 PM
T
TKandMike Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I didn't think this season was too terrible. I spent time in both east and west Texas and had plenty of opportunities. Shot a few deer, finally got one with a 30-30 with iron sights.

Re: this season was horrible... [Re: TKandMike] #7711529 01/08/20 03:04 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I didn't think this season was too terrible. I spent time in both east and west Texas and had plenty of opportunities. Shot a few deer, finally got one with a 30-30 with iron sights.

30-30 with iron sights was the first deer rifle I ever had. Great gun.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: this season was horrible... [Re: txhunter1010] #7712125 01/09/20 12:04 AM
S
sbushee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I hunt just south of Christoval and we have lots of deer. I’m lucky I suppose. See at least 10 each time out.

Re: this season was horrible... [Re: txhunter1010] #7712174 01/09/20 12:49 AM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
E. TX and Stephens County (very very few deer on cameras at feeders), cameras in the woods and acorns, consistent deer. Had opportunities back in Oct on 2 very mature nice bucks but I couldn't close the deal. Had other opportunities but not my target bucks and let them go to grow yet another year. I did take a couple (one that was injured and needed put down) and one of mature target bucks that is now at the taxi. Good news is that TC now post general season are still showing 4 mature target bucks coming to feeders at night. Can't wait until next archery opener. Other guys on lease have seen 0 deer. They do not get off their stands on corn feeders.

Re: this season was horrible... [Re: Mr. T.] #7712529 01/09/20 02:10 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Mr. T.

30-30 with iron sights was the first deer rifle I ever had. Great gun.

A rifle takes on something new once you take wild game with it, and it's especially true when you did it with iron sights.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide