Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Picky eaters #7708453 01/05/20 02:40 PM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
You'll never get me drunk enough to try rattlesnake. I've never tried gar balls but have made and eaten croquets made with king mackerel. I had to develop a taste for mustard greens when I was growing up. Vinegar helped me with greens. Is it the taste or the idea that keeps you from eating some foods, rejecting foods as a guest at someone's dinner table, or professing distaste on social media?

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Picky eaters [Re: bill oxner] #7708458 01/05/20 02:47 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Taste, but there are times I will eat things I do not like. It is not going to kill you to eat something you just do not like the taste of. Now if real food allergy that is something totally different.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Picky eaters [Re: bill oxner] #7708481 01/05/20 03:19 PM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Fruitcake, Beets and Hominy are a no go for me along with grits. sick It's because I don't like the taste period. Guest or not those will never be on my plate.

Bobby Barnett

Re: Picky eaters [Re: bill oxner] #7708486 01/05/20 03:28 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Smell and taste has a lot to do with what I'll eat. I'm like you Bill in that I will never eat rattlesnake. They stink so it's a no go for me. I have acquired a taste for some things over the years. Couldn't stand brussel sprouts as a kid, but love them now. The same with wheat bread. I think our tastes evolve somewhat, but smell influences me the most.

Re: Picky eaters [Re: bill oxner] #7708488 01/05/20 03:29 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Smell and texture are turnoffs for me.

Re: Picky eaters [Re: bill oxner] #7708494 01/05/20 03:33 PM
T
TPACK Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Is it the taste or the idea that keeps you from eating some foods, rejecting foods as a guest at someone's dinner table, or professing distaste on social media?

I would have to say both. I am a very picky eater which is why I prefer to do almost all of our cooking at home and disappointed with a lot of foods at restaurants or someone`s dinner table. You will almost never see me eat at a potluck at work.

Re: Picky eaters [Re: 68rustbucket] #7708571 01/05/20 05:00 PM
L
LonestarCobra Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket

Same here, and there are a few foods I just cant stand the taste of. I never could understand people purposely eating things they didn't like when the same nutritional value could come from another food you do like.

Re: Picky eaters [Re: bill oxner] #7708592 01/05/20 05:25 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
If you’re hungry you will eat.... 2cents

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Picky eaters [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7708598 01/05/20 05:34 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
If you’re hungry you will eat.... 2cents

Yep. I tell people that all the time. You truly get hungry, that rat won’t sound bad.

Though my son would still hold out for pizza rolls after a week of no food. I swear it

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: Picky eaters [Re: LonestarCobra] #7708604 01/05/20 05:41 PM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by LonestarCobra

Same here, and there are a few foods I just cant stand the taste of. I never could understand people purposely eating things they didn't like when the same nutritional value could come from another food you do like.

It was simple with me. That was the only thing availed when I was growing up.. We would fight over a little piece of pork skin in a pot of beans. Crumbled cornbread on pot likker and pretend it was corn flakes.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Picky eaters [Re: bill oxner] #7708617 01/05/20 06:00 PM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
I can identify with both of these songs.

[Linked Image]

Re: Picky eaters [Re: bill oxner] #7708637 01/05/20 06:38 PM
W
Walkabout Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
W
I assume we all know the difference between not liking the taste of a food and being a picky eater.

With that said, I have observed that several (NOT ALL) people that I know that are self professed picky eaters were an only child. Coincidence??? IDK Curious to know how many of you picky eaters are an only child????

Re: Picky eaters [Re: bill oxner] #7708644 01/05/20 06:57 PM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
http://eh.net/eha/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/ClayTroesken.pdf

No other nutrition-related disease in American history caused as many deaths as pellagra. The by-product of insufficient niacin consumption, pellagra reached epidemic proportions in the American South, killing roughly 7,000 Southerners annually at its peak in 1928. We document the rise and fall of pellagra in the American South and present three main findings. First, pellagra resulted, in part, from Southern agriculture’s heavy emphasis on cotton, which displaced local food production and effectively raised the price of niacin consumption. Evidence for this proposition derives in part from the arrival of the boll weevil. Although the boll weevil reduced Southern incomes and cotton production, it was also associated with increases in local food production and sharp reductions in pellagra. Second, pellagra was largely eliminated thr

[Linked Image]

Re: Picky eaters [Re: Walkabout] #7708814 01/05/20 10:23 PM
T
TPACK Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Walkabout
I assume we all know the difference between not liking the taste of a food and being a picky eater.

With that said, I have observed that several (NOT ALL) people that I know that are self professed picky eaters were an only child. Coincidence??? IDK Curious to know how many of you picky eaters are an only child????

I consider myself a picky eater and I had 3 brothers and a sister(plus 2,1/2 brothers and a 1/2 sister), so I can`t help support your theory. I don`t know if I am as picky as much as I just do not like food that is not prepared well. My mother was an excellent cook and I do not remember not liking anything she cooked other than giblets and gravy at Thanksgiving.

Re: Picky eaters [Re: bill oxner] #7708850 01/05/20 11:17 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
We were made to clean our plates, no matter what was on it. Or you would sit there at the table until you did. I learned early that lots of butter and salt would mask flavors I didn’t care for. I wasn’t an only child. My brother tested the punishment of sitting there until he ate it. I don’t recall what food it was, but he won. Around 10-11 pm my parents told him to go bed. He probably got a whoopin also. As an adult I just don’t have to eat anything I don’t care for. If I was at somebody’s home and was offered food I didn't care for, I’d politely say no thank you and leave it at that.

Re: Picky eaters [Re: 68rustbucket] #7708867 01/05/20 11:33 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
We were made to clean our plates, no matter what was on it. Or you would sit there at the table until you did. I learned early that lots of butter and salt would mask flavors I didn’t care for. I wasn’t an only child. My brother tested the punishment of sitting there until he ate it. I don’t recall what food it was, but he won. Around 10-11 pm my parents told him to go bed. He probably got a whoopin also. As an adult I just don’t have to eat anything I don’t care for. If I was at somebody’s home and was offered food I didn't care for, I’d politely say no thank you and leave it at that.

Same at our house....I tried that once. I sat there until I was told to go to bed, when I got up the next morning it was still waiting for me for breakfast while everyone else got pancakes, bacon, and eggs.

Re: Picky eaters [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7708918 01/06/20 12:25 AM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B

Same at our house....I tried that once. I sat there until I was told to go to bed, when I got up the next morning it was still waiting for me for breakfast while everyone else got pancakes, bacon, and eggs.

We had the same rule, but there wasn’t anything made that I didn’t like or couldn’t stomach. Not the case with my older brother. If I wanted to play, I finished his plate for him and we went outside.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: Picky eaters [Re: bill oxner] #7709077 01/06/20 03:57 AM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Onions...smell, texture, etc. I do not like onions.

My worst nightmare consists of being stranded somewhere with nothing to eat but onions.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: Picky eaters [Re: bill oxner] #7709412 01/06/20 04:58 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I was probably a typical kid till the age of 6 or 7 as far as what I ate. I like chicken nuggets French fires hamburgers etc. and wasn't really willing to venture out of my comfort zone.

One Friday night as was usual my mom and dad stopped and got my brother and I a burger from mcdonalds and then stopped at their favorite Chinese place across the street and picked up take out. I don't know how but somehow my mom convinced me to try her lemon chicken... it was greate! A few moments later I tried dads Mongolian beef, carefully avoiding the peppers… and again... it was good. Pretty much from then on I decided I should probably try things before I decided to not like them. It opened up a world of good food.

I haven't eaten too much food I didn't like. Curry is one thing I do not care for. I ate some of it, I tried it, gave it every opportunity I could and I do not like it. I finally tried menudo for the first time over the holidays. Its not bad but it wasn't anything special to me.

I put onions in nearly everything I eat. Growing up I ate none (I knew of lol) till my epiphany then I started eating cooked ones, these days I could almost happily eat a mild sweet onion like an apple and if I don't have raw onion on a salad burger sandwich or bowl of chili it is missed.

Last edited by redchevy; 01/06/20 04:59 PM.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Picky eaters [Re: bill oxner] #7709422 01/06/20 05:06 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
You won't catch me eating liver, gonads, tripe, etc unless I'm absolutely starving to death.

Re: Picky eaters [Re: 68rustbucket] #7709544 01/06/20 06:38 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P

There are people starving in Africa ... if we put it on our plate, we were expected to eat it. There are very few things I have found that I don't like ... some better than others, but very few things that I will not eat, at least that I have found.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Picky eaters [Re: bill oxner] #7709551 01/06/20 06:43 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I spent a lot of time at my grandparents house growing up. Rode the bus to their house after school and usually ate dinner with them before my parents came to get us. If you didn't like what was being prepared you had options, but if you put it on your plate you ate it, period.

Fortunately my omie was a wonderful cook and the only thing I had to worry about was when my eyes were bigger than my stomach... and I was a fat kid, so lets get real I didn't have much to worry about lol.

Did anyone else nibble break/biscuit doe off their mom/grandmothers fingers/hands after needing/mixing?

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Picky eaters [Re: redchevy] #7709599 01/06/20 07:19 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by redchevy

Did anyone else nibble break/biscuit doe off their mom/grandmothers fingers/hands after needing/mixing?

Never even crossed my mind.....

Re: Picky eaters [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7709605 01/06/20 07:23 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by redchevy

Never even crossed my mind.....

Nope they washed their hands......

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Picky eaters [Re: bill oxner] #7709617 01/06/20 07:32 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
If it smells good then I will eat it grin

Last edited by Stub; 01/06/20 07:32 PM.

texas flag

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread