Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Messing With The Truck of a Night Hunter #7702075 12/30/19 01:47 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Bizarre experience last night. I had finished up at one property and had a load of hogs in the back of my truck when I went to check another property up in Montague County. As it has rained the night before, I am not to drive in to said property (landowner rule) and I parked behind some tall brush along the fence to shield me from the view of the property and the half dozen or so hogs that were about 300-400 yards away. I got my gear together and made the 20 yard walk to the gate, hopped the gate and started into the property when I heard a car coming up the road. I hunkered down into a squat in the field as the car passed so as not to be illuminated by the lights and look like a human walking in the field. The car passed and I continued stalking toward my quarry.

Almost immediately the car turns around and makes a bee line for my truck. I squat back down and watch the vehicle through thermal. A guy gets out and checks out my truck with a flashlight from his vehicle, then scans the field several times. The light shines over me but he apparently doesn't see me and I am not about to call out to him and spoil my hunt. He then proceeds to do a walk around on my truck, looking in windows, checking out what was in the bed, etc. I figure he is looking for his daughter on a date or wondering if I am a driver in distress. He then scans the field again with his light. As it pans over me, I attempt to wave at the guy to let him know everything is okay, but he doesn't see me. I am too far for the beam of his light for him to pick me out from the background.

The guy goes back to his vehicle, retrieves something, then returns to my truck, looks inside some more with the light and starts jacking with the driver's door. My thought at the time was that the guy was attempting to gain entry to my vehicle. Then, he gave up and returned to his vehicle, drove down the road and U-turned again and headed back the original direction he was heading. His commotion pushed my hogs further in to the property, but I eventually found them and had a very good hunt.

Here is a picture of his car. Anybody know the make and model? Just curious. I will be contacting the game warden later today. Want to have as much information as possible to provide.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 12/30/19 01:49 PM.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Messing With The Truck of a Night Hunter [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7702080 12/30/19 01:51 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Here is what he was doing. He was flagging my truck. WTH???

[Linked Image]

Re: Messing With The Truck of a Night Hunter [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7702090 12/30/19 02:07 PM
K
Ktexas14 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
K
That is pretty strange man.

Re: Messing With The Truck of a Night Hunter [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7702103 12/30/19 02:17 PM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
I’d talk to the landowner...oh and it’s a Suburu.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Messing With The Truck of a Night Hunter [Re: Judd] #7702106 12/30/19 02:18 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Thanks, Judd, I thought it might be a Subaru, but a lot of those cars all look alike to me.

Re: Messing With The Truck of a Night Hunter [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7702110 12/30/19 02:23 PM
T
TEXASLEFTY Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
Strange!

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: Messing With The Truck of a Night Hunter [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7702130 12/30/19 02:40 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
DNS, he might have been a concerned neighbor or someone who knows the LO and was concerned about poaching. When he saw the hogs in your bed he should have moved on, but some folks can get wrapped up in the thought someone is busting into their neighbors/friends land without permission.

I have nothing to add about the car, but a tip that might prevent future similar situations:

Make a little card or sticker or something and place it on the window of your car, have it state you are legally hunting for hogs and predators with permission from the landowner.

Might calm some liberal minds, and only liberals drive subarus.... bolt

Re: Messing With The Truck of a Night Hunter [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7702132 12/30/19 02:41 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Here is where he was messing with my driver side door.

[Linked Image]

Re: Messing With The Truck of a Night Hunter [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7702140 12/30/19 02:48 PM
HWY_MAN Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Sounds to me like a neighbor keeping an eye on things, flagged the truck just to let whoever owned it know they were there.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Messing With The Truck of a Night Hunter [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7702142 12/30/19 02:48 PM
D
Dennis in Ft Worth Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
D
Strange about the tape, but I think I'd of hollered at him--from behind cover... smile

[Linked Image]
Me and ol' RUGER, 74 years and still shooting.
Re: Messing With The Truck of a Night Hunter [Re: Dennis in Ft Worth] #7702149 12/30/19 03:01 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by HWY_MAN
Sounds to me like a neighbor keeping an eye on things, flagged the truck just to let whoever owned it know they were there.

Talked to landowner. Nobody has contacted him. I have hunted the property for three years now. Many times I have parked in the same place.

Originally Posted by Dennis in Ft Worth
Strange about the tape, but I think I'd of hollered at him--from behind cover... smile

Ha! What cover in a big, open field. I was probably the most substantial piece of cover for 200 yards in any direction and I can't hide behind me, LOL. Had I not had hogs in the field, I think I would have made my presence known in a most surprising manner.

Re: Messing With The Truck of a Night Hunter [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7702200 12/30/19 03:53 PM
R
retfuz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
We used to flag vehicles during harsh weather after checking to be sure no one was inside. We did it so the next shift would know it had been checked and all was well.

Re: Messing With The Truck of a Night Hunter [Re: retfuz] #7702215 12/30/19 04:02 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by retfuz
We used to flag vehicles during harsh weather after checking to be sure no one was inside. We did it so the next shift would know it had been checked and all was well.

Beautiful clear night, temps in the upper 30s. Roads were dry as the rain had been from the day before. The engine was still hot on my truck. His pic above is within 5 minutes of me parking.

Heard from the game warden. My vehicle had not been reported to him.

Re: Messing With The Truck of a Night Hunter [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7702220 12/30/19 04:10 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
eeks333 Wow, had something like that happen when went on a hog hunt at OSBWMA.
It was thundering ,lightning, rain was letting up..
Horses had gotten out, fence down. So got them back in, stopped at house ta see if they new land owner.
If one was hit by car, land owner is liable.. went on hog hunt..
Few days later, police show up at house.. Said had report, my truck has a HB with circle around it. Hog Buster. Took a bucket & cycled it... They said I was causing trouble..
So asked details... Told officer, of only activity had done. The horses & my hog hunt, only talked ta one person, try figure out who horses belonged too.
Also told officer he better check on who reported it...
Then heard over his Mike, asking if he needed back up...
He said No everything under control...
We then talked about hunting, he said he hog hunts. With AR we discussed ..
He was just following report. . up ta officer.. later found out land was owned bye his ranking officer. . confused2
& he had hired guys ta fix fence...
Ya a concerned neighbor, probley flagging your truck letting ya know keeping an eye out. .
Look at the resent shooting, in a church again...
Had gotten permission ta hunt a place were was seeing hogs on way ta WMA, seen guy on ATV, stopped him, asked for permission, he said okay, so asked for his phone #'er so could call him, letting him know whin i would be thar.. He didnt give #'er , so never hunted it.. Too much bs so kept hunting WMA & at were was living..
Seen the arguements on leases, were people say let em walk, yet if no one else around, they will shoot ta fill thar tag, & claim (ground shrinkage)...
Reason say: Twas a Blessing whin a WMA opened up down the road...
Ya, Hunting has become a Richmans sport... just my 2cents then again, still say, man does play a roll in global warming...
edit : most complain about me bad Grammer & use of emoji so did best i can... Did get D- in grammer.

Keep your head held high & your powder dry...
Stay after em DNS. Tis sure twas just a concerned neighbor, flagging truck just letting ya know...
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Messing With The Truck of a Night Hunter [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7702296 12/30/19 06:03 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Glad to hear this ended incident-free.

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Messing With The Truck of a Night Hunter [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7702336 12/30/19 06:47 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Originally Posted by retfuz

Beautiful clear night, temps in the upper 30s. Roads were dry as the rain had been from the day before. The engine was still hot on my truck. His pic above is within 5 minutes of me parking.

Heard from the game warden. My vehicle had not been reported to him.

confused2 like several have said : chances are a concerned person stopped...
You havent said nothing on your truck harmed, scratch if i read it right, just a ribbon...
You felt okay with it, banana2 went on with your hog hunt...
popcorn interesting thread... csi interesting comment on post from Dennis in Ft Worth on your part...

flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Messing With The Truck of a Night Hunter [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7702668 12/31/19 01:35 AM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Strange. I've had my truck reported to law enforcement but never flagged like that....

Re: Messing With The Truck of a Night Hunter [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7702766 12/31/19 04:23 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Weird! I was out there last night in Montague but driving same truck as you! GW visited us last weekend. Good guy. I assume his flagging is letting you know someone is watching you... I see some weird things up there. I stay inside our gate as much as possible.

Re: Messing With The Truck of a Night Hunter [Re: Txduckman] #7702779 12/31/19 04:49 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Txduckman
Weird! I was out there last night in Montague but driving same truck as you! GW visited us last weekend. Good guy. I assume his flagging is letting you know someone is watching you... I see some weird things up there. I stay inside our gate as much as possible.

You met the new game warden, Preston Kleman? I didn't realize Chase McAnich was gone until I tried contacting him and got Kleman. He does seem nice.

I stay inside the gate as much as possible as well, but the wet conditions prevented that in this case.

I have now contacted everyone I know in the area, only four folks, but none know of anyone that has this vehicle. If the guy was trying to send me a message that he is watching me, I am hoping that my local folks get the word out that I was watching him.

Re: Messing With The Truck of a Night Hunter [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7702799 12/31/19 05:20 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Txduckman

You met the new game warden, Preston Kleman? I didn't realize Chase McAnich was gone until I tried contacting him and got Kleman. He does seem nice.

I stay inside the gate as much as possible as well, but the wet conditions prevented that in this case.

I have now contacted everyone I know in the area, only four folks, but none know of anyone that has this vehicle. If the guy was trying to send me a message that he is watching me, I am hoping that my local folks get the word out that I was watching him.

Yep. Thx for the PM.

Re: Messing With The Truck of a Night Hunter [Re: 1860.colt] #7703175 12/31/19 06:08 PM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S

Pigs would be there another time. I’m walking up and get closure on this situation.

Proverbs 2
Re: Messing With The Truck of a Night Hunter [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7703384 12/31/19 09:51 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Subaru. Lotta tree huggers and PETA members drive Subaru's. Just sayin.........

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Messing With The Truck of a Night Hunter [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7703883 01/01/20 01:42 PM
L
lthomas132 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

??????????

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.
Re: Messing With The Truck of a Night Hunter [Re: lthomas132] #7704097 01/01/20 04:52 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by lthomas132

??????????

It's like saying a lot of dumbarse rednecks drive trucks.

Re: Messing With The Truck of a Night Hunter [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7704115 01/01/20 05:10 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by lthomas132

??????????

It's like saying a lot of dumbarse rednecks drive trucks.

Only if I was serious.

Have you ever had any issues with the anti hunting community? That was my line of thinking. I've been hassled a time or two.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide