Print Thread
Getting into Predator hunting/tips/hints/questions #7691334 12/17/19 07:37 PM
J
Jlambe Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
So a few years ago I was given a FoxPro Wildfire with the Decoy attachment. I have used it a few times but I have only taken one coyote with it. This past weekend I was able to get the coyotes to respond to the female howls and pups in distress and had no luck with rabbit distress calls. I guess I am looking for tips and hints for call sequence, to do's/not to do's, can you hunt all times of the day? ( I don't have a night vision or thermal scope)

Sequences I have done:
Morning hunts after deer hunting: dying rabbit sounds ( dying jack rabbit, waning), play for 4-6 mins with 2-3 mins break for 20 mins. Question: can I change animal noises to see what works?
late afternoon: dying rabbit ( 4-6 min intervals) for 30 mins, when the sun goes down try out pack locator, fem coy howls, pups in distress.

Best sounds:
Any particular sounds I should add to my remote? I am hunting in the Comanche, TX area with a total of 1500 acres to hunt on.

FOXpro technical issues:
I just started having issues with the remote and speaker aren't connecting but eventually it did. I have been thinking about getting a new one but the my caller is fairly new to me and only used a few times but I am curious about convergent bullet and the hog sounds you can get on that, plus able to use the Iphone as the remote.

Re: Getting into Predator hunting/tips/hints/questions [Re: Jlambe] #7691790 12/18/19 03:42 AM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I have the best results in the early mornings, as in, right after sunup.
And night time I use a red predator hunting light mounted on my shotgun.
I use a Buck gardner cottontail distress call.

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Getting into Predator hunting/tips/hints/questions [Re: Jlambe] #7691960 12/18/19 01:50 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
It's been crazy in my area. I've taken 2 yotes in 2 weekends, while deer hunting. My neighbor had 3 hanging on his fence last Sunday. Every one taken right after sunup on cold mornings.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Getting into Predator hunting/tips/hints/questions [Re: hook_n_line] #7692044 12/18/19 03:06 PM
J
Jlambe Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted by TCM3
I have the best results in the early mornings, as in, right after sunup.
And night time I use a red predator hunting light mounted on my shotgun.
I use a Buck gardner cottontail distress call.

I am thinking about purchasing a Sniper Hog Light" Red light" that attaches to my rifle. A coworker has one that I am going to try out before I go out and purchase.

Originally Posted by hook_n_line
It's been crazy in my area. I've taken 2 yotes in 2 weekends, while deer hunting. My neighbor had 3 hanging on his fence last Sunday. Every one taken right after sunup on cold mornings.

Yeah I have seen a lot of signs of coyotes, I am hoping to go alot in Jan and Feb to help out the fawn crop the best I can. Last year when I shot my first and only coyote it was right after deer hunting in the morning.

Re: Getting into Predator hunting/tips/hints/questions [Re: Jlambe] #7692454 12/18/19 09:12 PM
T
TexasOutdoorsman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Sniper Hog lights are the best on the market for sure. Great company!

This is the time of year to call/trap coyotes. I’ve trapped five this week on the same 300 yards off fence line.

Also called in a pack of three and knocked down all three the other morning.

Pups are learning how to hunt and leaving there moms. Food sources are low since they are omnivores there are very few fruit producing trees/shrubs right now which limit there diet to small mammals or scavenging.

texas

Tejas Wildlife Company - Selling Apparel to Benefit Wildlife!
Instagram - @tejaswildlifeco
Re: Getting into Predator hunting/tips/hints/questions [Re: TexasOutdoorsman] #7692957 12/19/19 01:49 PM
V
Vern1 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Jlambe

FOXpro technical issues:
I just started having issues with the remote and speaker aren't connecting but eventually it did. I have been thinking about getting a new one but the my caller is fairly new to me and only used a few times but I am curious about convergent bullet and the hog sounds you can get on that, plus able to use the Iphone as the remote.

With the temperatures we are having, make sure you keep good fresh batteries in the caller and remote.
Cold temps suck the power out of batteries.
The baby cotton tail call on the FOXPro has been working well for my friends who call.
I would love to have a convergent bullet even if only for the hog calls.

Originally Posted by TexasOutdoorsman
Pups are learning how to hunt and leaving there moms. Food sources are low since they are omnivores there are very few fruit producing trees/shrubs right now which limit there diet to small mammals or scavenging.

This makes the pups easier pickings since they on the hunt.

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: Getting into Predator hunting/tips/hints/questions [Re: Vern1] #7693902 12/20/19 03:25 PM
J
Jlambe Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted by Vern1
Originally Posted by Jlambe

FOXpro technical issues:

With the temperatures we are having, make sure you keep good fresh batteries in the caller and remote.
Cold temps suck the power out of batteries.
The baby cotton tail call on the FOXPro has been working well for my friends who call.
I would love to have a convergent bullet even if only for the hog calls.

This makes the pups easier pickings since they on the hunt.

I'll try it out with new batteries and see what changes. I am thinking I am going to pick up the bullet HP before I go out next time.

I am going to try more coyote howls into more of my sits and I think I have the volume to high right when I start.

Sniper Hog lights are the best on the market for sure. Great company!

This is the time of year to call/trap coyotes. I’ve trapped five this week on the same 300 yards off fence line.

Also called in a pack of three and knocked down all three the other morning.

'
'
Thats awesome, I have never tried trapping but maybe one day. I am looking to try out the sniper hog lights in a few weeks.

Last edited by Jlambe; 12/20/19 03:26 PM.
Re: Getting into Predator hunting/tips/hints/questions [Re: Jlambe] #7694713 12/21/19 04:15 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I have never had any luck with electric calls. I use open reed mouth calls, generally just the white tail distress call and have had excellent results.

Day hunting is hard. You have to hunt the wind and you have to see them before they see you. Now days I only at night with thermal, see and kill 10x as many.

Last edited by BigPig; 12/21/19 04:17 AM.
Re: Getting into Predator hunting/tips/hints/questions [Re: Jlambe] #7694856 12/21/19 02:02 PM
T
TexasOutdoorsman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I called in three with Bullet HP using Byrons Goto sound last week. Good stuff

texas

Tejas Wildlife Company - Selling Apparel to Benefit Wildlife!
Instagram - @tejaswildlifeco
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide