texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
CCoile05, SMC46, thasenei, Royal, ppeeks59
66069 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 95,334
bill oxner 59,900
stxranchman 55,376
SnakeWrangler 48,597
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,446
BMD 41,029
Big Orn 37,484
Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums45
Topics442,163
Posts6,415,291
Members66,069
Most Online16,728
Mar 25th, 2012
Print Thread
Beef Ribeye Roast #7692327 12/18/19 07:06 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 26,862
S
Stub Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
S
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 26,862
Thinking about picking one up and cooking it for Christmas dinner. For those of you that have cooked them before, any suggestions?


texas flag [Linked Image]

Re: Beef Ribeye Roast [Re: Stub] #7692395 12/18/19 07:56 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,201
D
decook Offline
Veteran Tracker
Offline
Veteran Tracker
D
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,201
Stub there's lots of recipes on the 'net and they mostly have you do the 500 F sear for 15 to 20 minutes, then either cook the roast at a reduced temp or shut off the oven. It depends on the weight for how long. Man you just missed it - Kroger had them on same last weekend and we got a 10 pounder. Here's how I'm going to do it

Lightly salted with kosher salt and pepper it pretty well.
Preheat to 450
Sear it for 20 minutes
Lower temp to 325 and cook it for 2 hours +5 minutes
Raise it again to 450 for 15 minutes
Remove it and rest covered with foil for 25 minutes
Carve and eat

This makes it about medium rare slightly to medium. I prefer it more "redder" but she doesnt at all - so I enjoy it this way just as well. You could chop that temp to about 250 or so and it might come out just right for you depending on your taste.

These are not hard at all and they are good


Press for an AMERICAN.
Re: Beef Ribeye Roast [Re: Stub] #7692422 12/18/19 08:29 PM
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 32,364
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
R
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 32,364
I might be the odd man out, but I like my roast cooked low and slow falling apart tender like pulled pork. My grandma cooks a great ribeye roast every year for Christmas, ate it last nigh and it was good, but I would have preferred it cut into steaks and cooked rare over a med/well roast. For how I like roasts, reibey roasts are better served for other dishes, id prefer a chuck roast for a roast.


It's hell eatin em live
Re: Beef Ribeye Roast [Re: redchevy] #7692425 12/18/19 08:32 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,364
M
MacDaddy21 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Offline
Veteran Tracker
M
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,364
Originally Posted by redchevy
I might be the odd man out, but I like my roast cooked low and slow falling apart tender like pulled pork. My grandma cooks a great ribeye roast every year for Christmas, ate it last nigh and it was good, but I would have preferred it cut into steaks and cooked rare over a med/well roast. For how I like roasts, reibey roasts are better served for other dishes, id prefer a chuck roast for a roast.


Agreed.

Re: Beef Ribeye Roast [Re: Stub] #7692467 12/18/19 09:22 PM
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,860
6
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
6
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,860
I did one on the smoker a couple years ago. Turned out good


Originally Posted by takewhatyoucan64
The vaginahurt is real over there.
Re: Beef Ribeye Roast [Re: Stub] #7692478 12/18/19 09:33 PM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,929
E
easton1025 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Offline
Veteran Tracker
E
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,929
Tie it up so the cap stays intact!!!Sucks when the crust separates!!!! Also cooks much easier sitting out a few hrs before cooking.....I do 450 first 30 min to get a good crust going then 12 min a lb at 275 after that till middle is 140...pull it and let rest with foil over it for 15 min to let it set up.....

Re: Beef Ribeye Roast [Re: Stub] #7692568 12/18/19 11:07 PM
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 302
B
Birddogger Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
B
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 302
Reverse sear!! No comparison and you get all medium rare instead of the outside being med well progressing to med rare in middle. 225 degrees for 35 mins a lb with meat therm inserted. When you hit 120ish pull it and rest at least 15 mins and crank over to 500 and pop it in just to sear meat. When you have good color it’s done. You will have med rare from outer edges to middle and its foolproof way to cook prime rib. Takes little longer but totally worth it.

Re: Beef Ribeye Roast [Re: Birddogger] #7694671 12/21/19 03:21 AM
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 8
M
MikeU Offline
Green Horn
Offline
Green Horn
M
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by Birddogger
Reverse sear!! No comparison and you get all medium rare instead of the outside being med well progressing to med rare in middle. 225 degrees for 35 mins a lb with meat therm inserted. When you hit 120ish pull it and rest at least 15 mins and crank over to 500 and pop it in just to sear meat. When you have good color it’s done. You will have med rare from outer edges to middle and its foolproof way to cook prime rib. Takes little longer but totally worth it.



This right here.

Re: Beef Ribeye Roast [Re: Stub] #7694854 12/21/19 01:55 PM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 6,312
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 6,312
Originally Posted by Stub
Thinking about picking one up and cooking it for Christmas dinner. For those of you that have cooked them before, any suggestions?


Seems as if the oven off method is the easiest way, I am going to try it this week

Here is a link from the TFF

https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/13376712/prime-rib-advice#Post13376712

Re: Beef Ribeye Roast [Re: Stub] #7694960 12/21/19 03:51 PM
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 33,158
G
Gravytrain Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
G
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 33,158
Last big one I got on a big sale from Tom Thumb for $6.99 /lb was very tough. I cooked it right and it was medium rare, still tough.

Re: Beef Ribeye Roast [Re: Gravytrain] #7695119 12/21/19 06:30 PM
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 962
T
TPACK Offline
Tracker
Offline
Tracker
T
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 962
Originally Posted by Gravytrain
Last big one I got on a big sale from Tom Thumb for $6.99 /lb was very tough. I cooked it right and it was medium rare, still tough.


Was it Select, Choice or Prime. I do not buy any select meat at all unless I am going to grind it and only buy choice if it has a lot of marbling when I buy a grilling steak..

Re: Beef Ribeye Roast [Re: Stub] #7695338 12/21/19 10:59 PM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 19,536
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 19,536
buy AT LEAST, choice ANGUS, this should give you the upper 2/3 of choice. any grade lower, you best get a chuck roast.

you get what you pay for


"some people say I got a drinkin problem........I got no problem drinkin at all......."


Re: Beef Ribeye Roast [Re: Stub] #7695358 12/21/19 11:21 PM
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 12,328
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
D
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 12,328
This retirement is killing me. I need to get the Lone Star card so I can get a Rib Eye roast.

Re: Beef Ribeye Roast [Re: Stub] #7696301 12/23/19 01:47 AM
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 197
T
tailchaser93 Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
T
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 197
We do the 225 then crank it up at the end but we also cost the outside with butter and rosemary before it goes in the oven.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3