Forums46
Topics536,987
Posts9,719,159
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 37 of 44 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 43 44
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7659564 11/12/19 03:47 PM
L
L. C. Clower Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
Quail hunting in Montague County, 1966, far north end, I found a face carved in a rock, roundish, looked like the Maya faces you see on the Discovery channel. Probably Kiowa. There were also several bent trees in the area.
Not hunting, running a dozer the same year, I was cutting a creek crossing and turned up a buffalo skull. The rest of the skeleton was mashed under dozer tracks, the skull is AFAIK displayed at Midwestern State in Wichita Falls, estimated to be at least 200 years old.

Right-wing Libertarian.
Politically Incorrect.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7660227 11/13/19 02:00 AM
G
ghostlight Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
Best I can remember the time was early 70's. I was frog gigging with my wife, sister and brother in law on a creek near Bon Weir ,Tx. Deep into the heavy hard wood tree lined creek we noticed a grey glow some distance down the creek. We started making our way toward it to see what was there. We came upon a large oak that had been blow over we guess by some act of nature. The entire canopy was aglow with foxfire in every leaf. it was light standing under a full moon on a clear night. I collected several leafs and put them in my billfold. They continued to glow for a very long time before the leafs crumbled.

Don't be afraid of the light it's just me.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7660304 11/13/19 03:22 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I've never heard of that before....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7660334 11/13/19 03:47 AM
G
ghostlight Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
It is a very eerie sight that i've never seen again

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: ghostlight] #7660912 11/13/19 06:48 PM
R
Ratherbefishing Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Originally Posted by ghostlight
Best I can remember the time was early 70's. I was frog gigging with my wife, sister and brother in law on a creek near Bon Weir ,Tx. Deep into the heavy hard wood tree lined creek we noticed a grey glow some distance down the creek. We started making our way toward it to see what was there. We came upon a large oak that had been blow over we guess by some act of nature. The entire canopy was aglow with foxfire in every leaf. it was light standing under a full moon on a clear night. I collected several leafs and put them in my billfold. They continued to glow for a very long time before the leafs crumbled.

Out of curiosity, I looked up foxfire. From Wikipedia:
Foxfire, also called fairy fire or chimpanzee fire, is the bioluminescence created by some species of fungi present in decaying wood. The bluish-green glow is attributed to a luciferase, an oxidative enzyme, which emits light as it reacts with a luciferin.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7660928 11/13/19 07:05 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
Years ago in a wilderness area in CO while huntig elk I saw part of a horn sticking out a stream bank that had collapsed. I dug it out and it was a bison skull. I packed it out to camp and took it home and cleaned it up. It looked a little big for a bison skull so I took it the the Natural History Museum in Denver and had them check it out. They said it was from a "mountain bison" which became extinct in the early 1800s. So that was pretty cool. I rigged the skull for a wall mount and have it hanging on the wall next to a regular plains bison skull from a bull I took in Wyoming.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Ratherbefishing] #7660930 11/13/19 07:06 PM
O
Ojai Hunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
Originally Posted by Ratherbefishing
Originally Posted by ghostlight

Out of curiosity, I looked up foxfire. From Wikipedia:
Foxfire, also called fairy fire or chimpanzee fire, is the bioluminescence created by some species of fungi present in decaying wood. The bluish-green glow is attributed to a luciferase, an oxidative enzyme, which emits light as it reacts with a luciferin.

Are these leaves edible ?

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7661090 11/13/19 09:45 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
In areas where FoxFire occurs...it is pretty much known by anyone who spends much time in the woods. Where I live is the perfect conditions for it. It isn't always green or blue either, it can occur as red and orange as well.

Typically it does not occur over a large area of a tree or other decomposing woody substance. An area as large as your hand would be pretty big. The intensity can vary quite a bit, from barely noticeable to something that attracts your attention right away. It's just Fungi. There are luminescent mushrooms also...for those that don't know.

Of course, there are areas of the State and conditions where a person would never see it in a lifetime.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: flintknapper] #7661236 11/13/19 11:51 PM
G
ghostlight Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
Now that i have brought up this very old memory I need to do some research on it. I can tell you that this was in the veins of each leaf and all the leaves were aglow. The glow was a blue/gray and the leaves I collected continued to glow when in a dark room. I don't believe this was a fungus

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: L. C. Clower] #7661291 11/14/19 12:58 AM
R
RPG1997 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
I don't know about unusual, but I have found something gross while hunting. I found a used tampon. Thankfully, I was wearing gloves and happened to have a ziploc baggy with some nitrile gloves so I put inside a glove and tied the end of the glove up. It was kinda gross though...

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: RPG1997] #7661350 11/14/19 01:54 AM
M
Marc K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by RPG1997
I don't know about unusual, but I have found something gross while hunting. I found a used tampon. Thankfully, I was wearing gloves and happened to have a ziploc baggy with some nitrile gloves so I put inside a glove and tied the end of the glove up. It was kinda gross though...

Trying to figure out why you saved it instead of just giving it a shallow grave with your boot. (Rapidly biodegradable without the glove and baggie)

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7661509 11/14/19 05:36 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Called in an Owl one evening...
These my oldest bro & his son collected & last year bro & I found 5 in just few hours...
[Linked Image]
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7662774 11/15/19 03:24 PM
C
camtheguitarman Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
I think one of my favorite memories was from my lease out near Doss, Tx. We were up there for the weekend brush hogging, filling feeders, general upkeep etc. While we were checking our blinds for various signs of wildlife, mostly wasps, we came to our big tower blind that we have mounted to a trailer. From the ground we could see one of the windows was open so we already figured on something living in it. Seeing as I was the youngest, I was volunteered to go check it out. As i started the climb I could hear movement in the stand so I was already nervous thinking there maybe some rabid coons or something of the like. As I get up to the deck, a solid white head pops out and does a 180 degree turn, then follows the body of an owl! I almost fell 20' to the deck from shock! Thinking that the single owl was the only occupant I open the door and out come 3 more! One of the coolest and more shocking things I've gotten to see up close. We learned to start wedging those windows shut lmfao!

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7662940 11/15/19 05:42 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Hunting in Dimmit County last weekend and as we drove down one of the road at the ranch we see what appears to be a black sock hanging on the top of a branch, about 6' high in the thick brush. Below it a couple feet is a black hoodie. We shut off the truck and go in to investigate. We find backpacks there all the time from illegals that are crossing through the property. So, it's no surprise when we see a backpack under the sock and hoodie. but, when we find a wallet inside, with a 500 peso note, the guy's ID, his debit cards, phone cards, gas cards, pay check stubs, electrician's license, cell phone charger and other personal things, we start to wonder. Also find 2 pairs of jeans, some other shirts and some socks. Backpack had all sorts of medicine pouches for headaches, upset stomach, etc. The clothes and hoodie didn't appear to be all that old. Like, they might have been from that day - fresh! As we go back to the truck, with all items in hand, my buddy sees a 5 pesos coin in the middle of the road. Ah...the marker! I think that was what he used as a reflector point to then know where his stuff was stashed in the brush. One of four things probably happened. 1. he already got picked up by Border Patrol. 2. He heard us and bolted and left his stuff behind, hoping to come back to it later. 3. He's long gone and for some reason didn't ever find his way back to his bag and personal stuffs. 4. he didn't make it and we'll find his remains someday, maybe.

I called BP before we showed up to let them know we'd have hunters on the property. They ruined 4 hunts one trip, as we kept setting off sensors. They said they had cameras there now and could differentiate between hunters and illegals and that wouldn't be an issue any longer. I told them to let me know if they had to come on, so I could let me buddies know that a vehicle was a "good" vehicle if they heard one. BP said tons of trucks had been stolen in San Antonio and used as pick up vehicles for drugs and people lately. Explains the cut locks we had not to long back! I've been on the property alone and had truck lights turn on and start driving towards me at 5am, when heading to a stand. .45 loaded and in hand as we drove up to each other. BP in an unmarked truck. Told him, man, that is dangerous! My cell number is on the gate and he should use it to let me know whenever they come onto the property, especially during hunting season. They let me know now.

We also found a handful of old backpacks with clothes. Usually, they change from their old clothes into a fresh pair and ditch the old clothes and backpacks before getting picked up or walking into town.

BP says they are picking up people in that area, daily. And these folks are not families, but smugglers. Told me to stay alert. I ALWAYS have my head on a swivel out there. I have a couple friend that hunt once a year and they don't have their own handguns, yet. I bring an extra for each of them. One of them said...Man, I don't need that. After we found the backpack, he asked, "hey, George, where's that pistol you brought for me?" Yup! Stay alert if you hunt near the border!!! And if you see something, report it!

PS - during all 4 days, there we constantly BP helicopters flying around adjoining properties. They stay busy!

Last edited by Son of a Blitch; 11/15/19 05:45 PM.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7662949 11/15/19 05:50 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Build the damn wall.....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Marc K] #7662950 11/15/19 05:54 PM
R
RPG1997 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
This was years ago. I don’t like litter and decided to dispose of it properly.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7686757 12/12/19 04:48 AM
HuntingTexas Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Up for more stories. Whatcha got?

" In God We Trust "

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7687158 12/12/19 08:10 PM
C
camtheguitarman Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
Double bump

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7687371 12/13/19 01:06 AM
S
ScrapIron Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
I found a split open 50 caliber bullet in the pasture awhile back. It was corroded pretty bad I have no clue how it got there.
Also found a empty corroded 105mm howitzer case in a wash when I was a kid.

No where near a base of any kind but my granny told me there was some military people with listening stuff and radars on the big hill in our pasture in the late 40’s?? It’s the highest point between the gulf and San Antonio.

I have scoured the internet looking for information with no luck.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: ScrapIron] #7687717 12/13/19 02:16 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by Scrap iron
I found a split open 50 caliber bullet in the pasture awhile back. It was corroded pretty bad I have no clue how it got there.
Also found a empty corroded 105mm howitzer case in a wash when I was a kid.

No where near a base of any kind but my granny told me there was some military people with listening stuff and radars on the big hill in our pasture in the late 40’s?? It’s the highest point between the gulf and San Antonio.

I have scoured the internet looking for information with no luck.

I found an aged stripper-clip full of blank '06 shells in our place. Word was that they'd come over from Ft. Hood and run maneuvers in Mills and surrounding counties every once in a while.

Last edited by QuitShootinYoungBucks; 12/13/19 02:16 PM.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7687915 12/13/19 05:09 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Mule deer Hunting near Van Horn/Sierra Blanca, while up high in the mountains, I found some wreckage of some sort of spacecraft. There were some numbers on it, I was going to try and research never did.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: RPG1997] #7690704 12/17/19 12:45 AM
R
retfuz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by RPG1997
This was years ago. I don’t like litter and decided to dispose of it properly.

Probably should have saved it for catfish bait.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: retfuz] #7691266 12/17/19 06:16 PM
O
OldGoat68TN Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
O
Never found anything completely off the wall, but did find a human skull in a river bottom. Didn't look decades old though, called local police and the coroner came out and took it. Never got any info on it though.

Did find an old Winchester .22 rifle, so rusted it's useless to shoot, but interesting conversation piece.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7691275 12/17/19 06:31 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
We find all kinds of stuff in Webb county. Backpacks, clothes, shoes, canned food that have Spanish labels on them and even cellular game cams in trees near the river.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Buzzsaw] #7691337 12/17/19 07:41 PM
D
DirtNapTET Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Mule deer Hunting near Van Horn/Sierra Blanca, while up high in the mountains, I found some wreckage of some sort of spacecraft. There were some numbers on it, I was going to try and research never did.

Wait what? Definitely need more details! Space Craft or Air Craft?

Page 37 of 44 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 43 44
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide